Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 21 1 2 18 19 20 21
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Originally Posted by keith
we shot this 6.5 Creedmore without it having been bedded. The rifle would shoot 1" groups, sometimes smaller. This is why we sent it to the gunsmith for pillar bedding the stock and muzzle break. We put perhaps 150 rounds down the tube prior to sending it to the gunsmith.

While these threads were stripped when the action was put on, the gun still shot extremely well(0.400-.685 three shot groups)

Funny.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most of them probably come off just fine, but not with buggered threads. Ruger surely knows this can happen and says don't remove the barrel. They're installed by machine and most likely removed the same way. It took 2 guys and 6' cheater bar to get this one off.

And the super duper gunsmith wonders why the action got buggered up. whistle

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Ackman

They're made when the distributors order them.

You can try to sell that one to someone who doesn't know about production and manufacturing. You don't go from years out to next month.

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by thin_man

You can try to sell that one to someone who doesn't know about production and manufacturing. You don't go from years out to next month.

Someone back there said it would be that long. So BFD.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Most of them probably come off just fine, but not with buggered threads. Ruger surely knows this can happen and says don't remove the barrel. They're installed by machine and most likely removed the same way. It took 2 guys and 6' cheater bar to get this one off.

And if Ruger had removed the barrel they'd have used a machine. And those same buggered threads would've come out. And this retard just wants to argue about something.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It took 2 guys and 6' cheater bar to get this one off.

MagMarc, the gunsmith did not want to deal with the Ruger in the first place, not his first Rodeo with Ruger. He sat up a video camera just in case, sure nuff, the job went to hell.

It would make helluva promo video for the "Smith" laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ackbitch
There isn't anyone "back there," dickweed. Your ass-licking pal keith is claiming that. And right on cue, you're here to slob his knob.

It still hasn't dawned on you two eunuchs, has it? No one else is defending you or sharing a similar story.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Really?

So you're the one who spoke with customer service?

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Really?

So now you're the one who spoke with customer service?

Really. I know things.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bricktop
There isn't anyone "back there," dickweed. Your ass-licking pal keith is claiming that. And right on cue, you're here to slob his knob.

It still hasn't dawned on you two eunuchs, has it? No one else is defending you or sharing a similar story.

Really kicking ass now.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bricktop

Really kicking ass now.
Not really. It's pretty easy to see through you and your bottom bitch's bullshit. Neither one of you morons are particularly bright.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And if Ruger had removed the barrel they'd have used a machine. And those same buggered threads would've come out. And this retard just wants to argue about something.

Why did the smith need to take the barrel off just to put a brake on it? No need for that if he knows what he is doing and has a properly equipped shop.

I suppose you or the super smith have also never heard of the concept of a relief cut if the barrel is on super tight?

And I am the retard. That is rich but then you are from Utah where the men are men and the sheep are afraid, very afraid.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I can see the real possibility of the barrels and actions being spun together in some mechanical manner to speed up the process, but spun to a fixed mated position with "hundreds if not thousands of pounds of pressure" is laughable. I'm sure the mechanical means are limited in the total torque applied once the surfaces mate much like a mechanic's torque wrench works.

If one was to poll a few good barrel smiths, you'd likely find that barrels and action are usually mated with a torque range of 70 to 100 ft/lbs. For chrome moly the barrel torquing is typically made with a little oil or light grease on the threads. If an anti seize substance is used, less torque ranging from 50 to 70 ft/lbs. is typically used.

Typically a high pressure grease is used on stainless threads to prevent galling and normally those barrels and actions are torqued around 70 to 80 ft/lbs of torque.

Granted there are smiths who may torque to relatively higher specs for specific reason that they believe in, but none are torquing to hundreds or possibly thousands of pounds. And very accurate BR rifles are sometimes torqued by hand with very little ft/lbs. of torque involved.

Neither Ruger or any other rifle manufacturer is torquing barrels to "hundreds if not thousands of pounds of pressure" whether thye are doing it mechanically or by hand.

BTW - its good to see that bad cop on duty again. Very helpful and inciteful input.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Hillbilly
"Why did the smith need to take the barrel off just to put a brake on it? No need for that if he knows what he is doing and has a properly equipped shop.

I suppose you or the super smith have also never heard of the concept of a relief cut if the barrel is on super tight?"

This gunsmith runs the barrel through the headstock of the lathe and indicates in both the inside of the chamber and the muzzle to make sure that there is perfect alignment so the bullet will go through the muzzle break straight. He would also recut the factory crown at this point. If he left the action on the barrel, he would have to indicate on the outside of the barrel. The bore in factory barrels are rarely in the center of the barrel. He indicates both ends in to the 0.0001 if it is possible. On factory barrels, you often have to split some hairs on alignment.

Relief cuts on tight barrels are done on to remove a barrel that will not be used again. Relief cuts are never done on barrels that will still be in service. Also, with the threads stripped out and cross threaded, what good would have a relief cut have done?

Picture is worth a thousand words:

http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/ackleyman/media/Ruger012.jpg.html?sort=3&o=34

http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/ackleyman/media/Ruger2009.jpg.html?sort=3&o=23

http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/ackleyman/media/Ruger2003.jpg.html

http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/ackleyman/media/Ruger2004.jpg.html?sort=3&o=27

This picture shows where the first thread tried to cross thread and the thread tore instead. The large hunk of metal then tried to re-thread the action threads.

http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/ackleyman/media/Ruger2004.jpg.html?sort=3&o=27

More torn Barrel threads

http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/ackleyman/media/Ruger016.jpg.html?sort=3&o=31

BayouRover

You have confused what has happened. When they were screwing the action and the barrel together, the threads started stripping, and it took a lot of hydraulic pressure to seat the barrel against the shoulder.

Custom gunsmiths may use a max of 100 INCH pounds to assemble a gun, and I have personally changed barrels in a benchrest match by spinning a barrel on by hand. A product called NEVER SEIZE is used in the industry to apply to stainless to keep from galling..it is a much better product than grease.

I never said that they were torqued to hundreds if not thousands of pounds, what I said was that they use a machine that had that amount of hydraulic pressure to screw them on with...big difference.

Last edited by keith; 07/09/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well dickhead. You're such a kick ass guy, and bein' on here to kick ass, even without bubblegum.........next time you're kicking ass, really kicking ass, say that's what you're doing. I'd like to see it.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
...big difference.

If I'm confused, its only by the variations of one story that one man can present when backed into a corner that he created. Everything is a big difference in your mind - versus the reality of the real world. Once more the horses are staggering.

"Custom gunsmiths may use a max of 100 INCH pounds to assemble a gun..." Huh..? I think I mentioned that some BR shooters hand change barrels. And if you'll read a bit closer the second time around, I mentioned both grease and anti seize. All of your explanations above about what I'm confused about is not new to me nor likely to anyone else. You are not one to be explaining anything to any one who is old enough to talk after your exhibition this past few days.

Got any pictures of a......? Ah, never mind. laugh

PS; I'm glad you got the rifle replaced, even after all of the crap you've tried to spread. Anyone with a decent view of things would have quietly held Ruger to what was in print originally and not spread their initial inability to make that happen all over the internet hoping to have a Kumbaya Moment. What purpose did that serve other than to make you look foolish?

And please request that Ackattack go back to sleep. He's simply plain annoying. I bet he posts from a dark room because he thinks that he's so scary that he even scares himself in the daylight.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
BayouRover

anger is controlling your thought process and that is why you see variations. Also, I did talk to a number of people at Ruger, not just one..that may also contribute

I got plenty of pictures, what difference would it make, you would just argue over something else.

The owner did try and hold Ruger to what was in print, they ignored him.

The CRAP that I have tried to spread, is that Ruger owners should not attempt to take the barrels off their Ruger rifles,
Ruger says so! Also, Ruger makes the best rifles that they have ever made right now, enjoy them for what they are, send them back to Ruger for a Rebarrel if/ when you shoot the barrel out. If there is a problem on a Re-barrel, Ruger will fix it, and you will not have the gunsmith tell you that your action/barrel is scrap when the threads strip.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
BayouRover

anger is controlling your thought process and that is why you see variations. Also, I did talk to a number of people at Ruger, not just one..that may also contribute

I got plenty of pictures, what difference would it make, you would just argue over something else.

The owner did try and hold Ruger to what was in print, they ignored him.

The CRAP that I have tried to spread, is that Ruger owners should not attempt to take the barrels off their Ruger rifles,
Ruger says so! Also, Ruger makes the best rifles that they have ever made right now, enjoy them for what they are, send them back to Ruger for a Rebarrel if/ when you shoot the barrel out. If there is a problem on a Re-barrel, Ruger will fix it, and you will not have the gunsmith tell you that your action/barrel is scrap when the threads strip.

keith, its hard to a be angry with you when you're so damn amusing. It's your thought process that's flawed if anyone's is. I'm not the only one who saw variations in what transpired here.

Yesterday afternoon I picked up a newly barreled rifle built on a Ruger 77 stainless action. Because of this thread I asked the smith if he had trouble getting the factory barrel off and he told me it spun right off. Go figure the sheer odds of that happening from what you've been educating everyone about. He's a very good barrel smith and he says he has never had a problems when re-barrelong Ruger actions. He commented that because of the flat sided Model 77 receiver that some smiths who didn't have the proper tooling don't like working on them. He has the tooling and he said they are no harder to square up and re-barrel than any other receiver. I'm assuming he's talking abut a good action to start with.

Since you mentioned angry, it reminds me. Call your dog off from PMing people he knows nothing about and trying to set them straight in his own unique manner . As I said above, he's plain annoying and not nearly as scary as he apparently sees himself.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Bayou, good luck with your new Ruger, glad it worked out, and I hope that you never have one with a problem. Like I said earlier, I had rebarreled two Ruger 77 Tang safety actions and the same friend had a Stainless 77 Mark II rebarreled last year with a 26" brux 6.5x47L.

In the end, Ruger's commitment to their customers won out, and for that, we are very grateful.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

All while saying, "I can save that action, its only a little bent"!

Fugg it, keep twisting.

Sean
Page 20 of 21 1 2 18 19 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

246 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 2500HD, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 21 invisible), 1,711 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,122
Posts18,483,677
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.