Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

The numbers indicate it should be "inferior" but it sure never worked out that way for me on critters.

John

It does seem to work that way. wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boxer

S/A .547BC's at 3325fps.

115 Boogers?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Betting 105 Booger Hybrids.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

The numbers indicate it should be "inferior" but it sure never worked out that way for me on critters.

John

It does seem to work that way. wink

That's my experience. I have had more than a few .270s and grew up in the wood, hills and fields holding one. My 130 Hornady cup cores or 140 accerbonds may not have the .64ish BC of a heavy 7mm, but they tend to kill schit reliably at a distance that most don't even practice.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While I don't doubt 0.5+ BC bullets at 3300+fps are the duck's guts, surely you can just stalk a little bit closer and render that "advantage" null?

The old 270 can put a 0.5+ BC bullet weighing 150g out there at 3000fps plus. What isn't that good for?

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You gals sure do have interesting "perspectives". Laffin'!

Why in the [bleep],would you not wish to maximize whatever chambering you're shooting,for each and every poke?!? Increased aero forms,have advantages from the muzzle to whatever distance you feel is "fair". The upside being there ain't no downside. Hint.

A 0.5BC+ projectile travelin' at 3000fps is called a 243Win. If it horns you up,to go to a long action and introduce a bunch more powder and increase recoil/noise to dupe same...well then have your "way". You just might not wanna "brag" it up,where someone else could hear the "thought" process,as they just might correlate your dumbfhuqqtitude in terms even you could savvy.

Hint.

Funny how it actually works and I mean [bleep] funny!

Laffin'!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Just so I know the history of crap talking the 270 win ,who started all this ?

The "High BC" people. smile

I've noticed in a number of threads that many shooters buy rifles in calibers that have high BC bullets available but shoot lower BC bullets in them. Like 80 gr. bullets in a .243, 120 grain bullets in a .260 Rem, or 130 grain bullets in a .308. You could match the BC's of those bullets in a 25-06 or .270 Win.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A 0.5BC+ projectile travelin' at 3000fps is called a 243Win. If it horns you up,to go to a long action and introduce a bunch more powder and increase recoil/noise to dupe same...

It's a fairly simple concept, except for those that think numbers are meaningless, then its like talking to a wall...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Do you know of any .5 BC controlled expansion hunting bullets out there for the 243? I sure don't.

One must compare like bullets. That's where the 270 really shines. Plenty of good hunting bullets out there, launched at good speeds.

Something I really took to heart during this latest shortage is that to rely on a cartridge or rifle which is reliant on one component to get the performance needed is a bad idea. This could be seen in the past with the guys building rifles for the Wildcat bullets, and also folks who used the 162 Amax from their 280 AIs as a trump card over the 270. While I saw shortages on one bullet or another for the 270, there was always something available to go kill stuff, whether in factory or component form, and whether we're talking brass, bullets, or powders to feed it all.

Last edited by prairie_goat; 07/12/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 16bore

S/A .547BC's at 3325fps.

115 Boogers?

Given Boxer's aversion to Burgers, I'd say 123gr Skinner but a .264 doesn't seem like his style, although he seems to collect them all. Not sure if a S/A like 284 could drive a 123gr at 3325gr though.

Boxer and Kirby have gotten me interested in the 6mm-06. Kirby says its the most "extreme" chambering without going to his mega cases and huge charges of powder.

If the 105gr BTHP could be driven at 3300-3400 fps it would be one wicked combo. BC is only 0.530 but in combination with the velocity it more than makes up for it and hangs well with bullets like the 162gr AMAX at typical velocities... and less recoil.

All that assuming one wants a L/A.

A S/A with 0.547 at 3325 is tempting.

Jason

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only downside I see to the 6mm-06 is for those that shoot steel matches. I think they usually limit velocity to 3200 fps.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'tap,

Joe Average ain't very [bleep] bright,as these Threads so eloquently attest.(grin)

Midway had the 105'Max in stock last night and the Hornie HPBT on Sale...both gone now,so someone is paying attention...unless I alone got 'em all.(grin)

I enjoy the comments by the folks who shoot the least,as they champion 'dis boolit,dat boolit and have formulated a scheme on when to fling what and it's a colorful yarn knit into sheer and utter nothingness. That pun be intended.

Purty [bleep] easy and contrary to Window Licking popular opinion,that a gent can simply pick a rather excellent boolit and simply apply it for everything. I know,I know...that's a [bleep] radically extreme idea and will make lotsa folks VERY [bleep] nervous. Laffin'!

Again it's ALL about boolits,as the blueprint to terminal affects is as follows and as per always:

1) Placement
2) Projectile Selection
3) Headstamp

Now it'll come as a surprise to more than a few,that a great #1,will reliably work in harmony to arrange a great #2. Read that again. Then one more time.

Drop is Physics,wind is VooDoo and if drop whoops you,you done dropped the ball. Hint.

Drift is a function of many things,much of which are corroborated via The Force and it is a series of subjective determinations which are analyzed in overview and extrapolated to formulate The Cure. While it'd be nice to be able to purchase a "The Wind NEVER Blows Here" button,to depress as per whim,that ain't how schit shakes out. You gotta play in it,to Master it and the single greatest advantage one can field in the fray,is slickery boolits. Read that again.

Very entertaining to line a herd of folks up with their Pet Rifles and Pet Ammo,then let 'em go to dissecting wind and then compare/contrast boolits/chamberings,as a barometer of evaluation. Gets spendy quick,because folks is throwing schit offa cliffs and racing home to procure new. Seen it about a bajillion times.(grin)

You accidentally connect a coupla dots of contention,in that a 25-06 or 270 can only hang with S/A offerings squirting schiutty boolits,so as to keep it "fair" for the L/A offerings. Read that again. Hint.

Proficiency cain't be purchased and is attained simply by the actual act of shooting,which very obviously scratches off most folks from the list...despite their awesome amounts of Imagination and Pretend both working overtime in their Fabrication Factory(s). Funny how it actually works!

There's an intellesting aspect of modest chamberings,shooting great boolits,in that the [bleep] things are FUN and if you ain't veddy veddy careful,you'll end up practicing on "accident" and not even know it. Read that again.

When was the last time that someone here rattled through 50 or 100 rounds of 25-06,270 or '06 ammo in an afternoon(let alone succesive afternoons) of leisurely pursuits?!? It don't happen,if only obviously,as hilariously lined out in the "experience","knowledge" and "results" offered up here on Threads just like his. Read that again. Spent primers remain THE Supreme Tutorial. Hint.

As a hilarious constant,Joe Average is over cartridged and under boolited,then frosts that melding by not shooting any of it....but luckily,it do not preclude their offering "advice". Funny schit!

Good talk.

Laffin'!

I'd mention sumptin' about the sliding Winding Scale and the 1:1 Ratio,allowing engagement distance to be scaled in accords to a given boolit/chambering,along with the impetus to apply same via Killer 22LR,as a means of FUN dot connection...but there's too many pointy heads for them facts to fly over and it'd be lost in mootitude.

Folks here is always lookin' for reasons NOT to shoot and that schit cracks me the [bleep] up.

Wow.

'goat,

Your haste to remain devoid a single [bleep] clue is rather impressive. Congratulations?!?

Cut to the chase and cite the 105's that've done you "wrong". Be sure to use as much Imagination and Pretend that it takes,to formulate those fabrications. mebbe say sumptin' about the rifle "particulars" too,if only to REALLY add to the [bleep] humor!

Someone who "knows" as "much" as you...is always gonna be best served by asking questions,not by giving "answers".

Not that I wish you to refrain the hilarity of corroborating your "experience". Kudos for trying to remove the boolit from the equation,if only to substantiate your "experience" and keep it "fair" for you. Hell...I doubt I've got much more than 3000 162A-Max left,setting on the shelf,but I never was much into [bleep] around. Just how much do you "shoot" in a GOOD year?!?

Laffin'!

Bless your heart.

4th,

I've squirted 3lbs of powder worth of Hornie's in the last 2 days. 75A-Max(bolts in 223,223AI and 22-250AI),75HPBT's(Krunchentickers),105A-Max/HPBT's(243AI/6-284) and 162's(7-08AI/Whizzum).

Trying to wear my newest Hummer out,as reaching to 550yds+ on the windshield is a [bleep] hoot in the wind.

Never been tough to cypher,who shoots and who don't.(grin) Just give 'em slack on the rope and let 'em start talking.

Laffin'!

'nm,

You AMAZINGLY stupid [bleep]...I realize you are doing your "best" and rest assured,that is THE funniest part.

Pardon me,while I relate Physics,if only to watch same fly over your pointy head. Laffin'!

The 180NPT you cite,at your velocity and factored at sealevel,if only for conversation,do the followin'. It arrives the scene(350yd line) with a breath taking 1946fps of impact velocity,1514 ft lbs of "energy" and drifts 12.8" in a full value 10mph breeze.

Now I'll BC you,if only to rub your nose in your Stupidity...not that you need any [bleep] help,given the goggles,haircut and attire...or them bitchin' mounts on that schit rifle. Laffin'!

155 Skinner squirted at a leisurely 3000fps '06 launch: it arrives the same scene(350yds) with 2327fps of impact velocity,1863 ft lbs of "energy" and but 8.4" of drift. For more conversation and if the 350yd 180NPT performance really horns you up,I'll happily extrapolate and you'll wanna remove them goggles,before they fog up. Laffin'!

The Skinner slows to 180NPT 350yd line impact velocity,at the 575yd line. So you get a 225yd free cookie there. It drifts the 180's 350yd value,at the 425yd line. It makes the 180NPT's 350yd "energy" at the 475yd line,so you get a free 125yds there. Long story short,a 180NPT terminal affects poke at the 350 line,extrapolates to a 575yd line Skinner poke upon same victim. You'll wanna read that again. Hint.

Now PLEASE say sumptin' about Sectional Density and mebbe quote 'goat and cite how them holler points don't dig in(through) Critters.

'Course ALL of them numerical and terminal avantages,come with less recoil to boot.

Keep it up,you're on [bleep] fire! Mebbe now mention how the 180NPT is heavier,but due to Nosler's typical "brilliance" it sports a .184G7 drag value and the Skinner a vastly superior .236 version of the same function. I know,I know...it ain't even "fair".

Laffin'!

You were sayin'?!?

Wow +P+.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

A 0.5BC+ projectile travelin' at 3000fps is called a 243Win. If it horns you up,to go to a long action and introduce a bunch more powder and increase recoil/noise to dupe same...

It's a fairly simple concept, except for those that think numbers are meaningless, then its like talking to a wall...
Killed this Red Hartebeest at 350 yds with a .30-06 and 180 gr Nosler Partitions at 2750 fps. Tell me how BC killed this animal?

[Linked Image]

AFAIC,it was shot placement and bullet performance.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Killed this Red Hartebeest at 350 yds with a .30-06 and 180 gr Nosler Partitions at 2750 fps. Tell me how BC killed this animal?

[Linked Image]

AFAIC,it was shot placement and bullet performance.

Nice job.

That's in essence what I was getting at with my comment on numbers not really mattering. Send a decent game bullet at decent speed from a reasonably accurate rifle, and point it in the right direction. Dead game. Simple as that. Some of these guy's ability to nitpick a conversation apart is nothing short of mother-in-law worthy.

The 270 embodies a really nice balance of factors which make it one of our top big game rounds. Lots of good hunting bullets specifically designed for it's velocity window. In the 270, it's not at all hard to come up with usable velocity without having to push the pressure envelope. Availability of components and good factory ammo just about everywhere. Factory rifles are generally throated correctly, and one need not worry about magazine length issues. Factory rifles in 270 Win also tend to shoot quite well, at least in my experience. All in a combo that won't kick too hard for most folks. What's not to love? The 270 Win is the cartridge many are compared to, but none quite match.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Thank you PG.

Back in the late 80's to early 90's my favorite magazine articles were something along the lines of "Match the bullet to the game" and that's how I do chose bullets today. It's all about a clean and quick kill.

Agree with you on the .270.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Do you know of any .5 BC controlled expansion hunting bullets out there for the 243? I sure don't.

The 105 Berger VLD @.532

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've used Bergers. An all around hunting bullet they are not.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I've used Bergers. An all around hunting bullet they are not.

I've had no issue with them. I've also had no issue with a 140 6.5 @ 2800+. This might be a marginally acceptable round to Boxer.

In any case, numbers matter as they indicate what a bullet is likely to do at distance. I also understand what long, heavy, high BC means at distance. However, it does not indicate the ability of the average shooter to put the "boolit" in the correct place at the distance the numbers show favoritism.

Destroy the landing gear of a critter at 300 yards with a 130 grain cup core 270 win and he dies right there.

Who is it that said something like "placement, boolit, headstamp" in that order? I get that.

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Shot placement,bullet performance. Headstamp has diddly squat to do with killing an animal. Do you think a deer,elk,varmint etc.. knows what it is being shot with,cartridge wise?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'nm,

PLEASE cite how many Articles you had to read,to become as AMAZINGLY [bleep] Stupid as you are? Were it the first one...because you had an "unfair" advantage goin' in,due your pointy head and crossed-eyes?!? Laffin'!

Hmmmmmm...let's see,there's (2) boxes of ammo on the shelf for a given chambering and Box "A" will match Box "B's" Terminal Affects mucccchhhhhh farther downrange,drift less and even recoil less,so due your uncanny "knowledge","experience" and their "results",you say "[bleep] it...I've been reading" so opt Box "B" as your "Trump Card". Now that is some SERIOUSLY [bleep] funny schit! You poor,poor,stupid [bleep].

Just WOW.

Now it'll come as a "surprise" ONLY to you,that Box "A" will also kill both cleaner and quicker...and that at ALL ranges. Funny how it actually works...and I mean [bleep] FUNNY.

Keep on sharing your "experience",because I'm crying I'm laughing sooooooooooo [bleep] hard.

Bless your heart,you incredible [bleep] dunce.

Now were I somehow "magically" enthralled with '06 launched 180NPT terminal and flight affects,I'd gun a 20" 308 and load Skinners soft and still be well ahead of the curve. Pun be intended.

Laffin'!

You CLUELESS "hard charging" Dumbfhuqqs are a riot!

'goat,

I'll feign my "surprise" that you didn't touch .243" 105's with a 10' [bleep] pole,other than to Whine about the things you've never seen,let alone done. Congratulations?!?

Fling a Hybrid 105 and get back to me. Hint. Then fling a 105'Max and Hornie HPBT and get back to me. Though of course,feel free to use as much Imagination and Pretend as you deem requisite in the interim,if only because those things are NEVER going to happen for you,due your abilities,means and comprehension. Laffin'!

I rather enjoy it,when you get to "thinking" and this pearl is a [bleep] Peach!:

"The 270 Win is the cartridge many are compared to, but none quite match."

FACT being,the 270 is easily slapped silly and only someone who "does" as "much" as you,could remain in the dark in regards to that constant. Who chews your food for you? Just...WOW.

Rather enjoyed picking a great boolit,so a cartridge can do great thangs,as being "nitpicking". An informed decision,never do not bear fruit and that'll only come as a "surprise" to you. Laffin'! You are simply at the mercy of your faculties,means and experience...which is of course a right proper recipe for perpetual hilarity. I'd like to thank you for being oblivious to that and to trudge along doing your "best",thinking you've a first [bleep] clue about anything. Laffin'!

Cheer up,Tasco and BSA sell alotta scopes too,so mebbe they are the "pick of the litter" too,due Joe Average's propensity to be dumber than [bleep],as you so poignantly correlate unknowingly due your "esteemed" acumen and the gross flaunting of all 17 of your IQ points. Laffin'!

The ease in which you talk out your ass,is rather impressive.

Pass the S/A,good boolits,trigger time and hold the Fluff.

Thank me later.

Hint.

Laffin'!

Good talk.

'nut,

I'd MUCH rather tote a S/A 6.5/140 of repute at 2800fps,than any/all things 270Win. That's alotta ass,in a tidy parcel,replete with veddy forgiving mild mannerisms. Light done right has no equal and I hear good thangs about S/S and them thar plasteeque handles.(grin)

A 270Win is easily bitch slapped in a S/A,if only to the chagrin of them who only shoot their mouths and Imaginations.(grin)

Adding drop,drift,noise and expense along with increased recoil...ain't much to swoon,unless of course you "do" as "much" as The Paper Hat Brigade.

Laffin'!

(Addendum: Holler Point Perspectives)

THE most epic Skinner pic of ALL [bleep] time.

Benji holding Humper's Gopher,from this Spring...Humper on the shutter.

[Linked Image]

PS and by the way,there was an exit...at 275yds.

Hint.

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 46 invisible), 2,171 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,339
Posts18,506,151
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.