Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Boxer
As a hilarious constant,Joe Average is over cartridged and under boolited,then frosts that melding by not shooting any of it..

Proficiency cain't be purchased and is attained simply by the actual act of shooting,.

Spot on.

Shot placement trumps all other factors, and reliable shot placement comes from practice.

Rather than practicing until it can be done right, practice until it cannot be done wrong.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[u]

'nut,

I'd MUCH rather tote a S/A 6.5/140 of repute at 2800fps,than any/all things 270Win. That's alotta ass,in a tidy parcel,replete with veddy forgiving mild mannerisms. Light done right has no equal and I hear good thangs about S/S and them thar plasteeque handles.(grin)

A 270Win is easily bitch slapped in a S/A,if only to the chagrin of them who only shoot their mouths and Imaginations.(grin)

Adding drop,drift,noise and expense along with increased recoil...ain't much to swoon,unless of course you "do" as "much" as The Paper Hat Brigade.

Laffin'!

I "do" a bit more than average. May have earned my way out of the "Paper Hat Brigade". Cleaned out the spent primers after returning from spending more recently. Last time I cleaned up was just after Christmas last year. Here is what was in the catch. About 25% more in the bottom of my shop vac.

[Linked Image]

Decided to weigh this batch. 5 pounds 6 ounces. Removing consideration of the bag and figurin' a pound is 7000 grains, with a spent large rifle primer weighing in at ~4.3 grains, I figure I've burned (at least) little north of 8000 primers this year.

Of course I have several batches of dough that need to be put in the oven...

Maybe not as much as some shoot, but I'm bettin' a little more than "average". (Grin)

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jeez, some of you guys are right into this.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bobnob17

And I still love my 270s... Even though there are several combinations that leave the old standby in the dust at distance, given modern powders and bullets (as Boxer so eloquently imparts).

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by bobnob17

what, shooting? yeah I like it

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Arguing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Killed this Red Hartebeest at 350 yds with a .30-06 and 180 gr Nosler Partitions at 2750 fps. Tell me how BC killed this animal?

Tell me why a .284 150 NPT in a 7-08 wouldn't.....

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
How does that address the BC question?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I believe what we addressed is:

A 270 Win kills schit when you put a good bullet where is needs to go (bullet placement).

Short Action Cartridges loaded with high BC bullets shoot better at distances beyond most are capable of (bullet placement).

No matter what the bullet BC or Headstamp, schit dies when the animal's CNS is disconnected via trauma or lack of O2 (bullet placement).

grin

Last edited by 1Deernut; 07/12/14.

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by 1Deernut

I believe what we addressed is:

A 270 Win kills schit when you put a good bullet where is needs to go (bullet placement).

Short Action Cartridges loaded with high BC bullets shoot better at distances beyond most are capable of (bullet placement).

No matter what the bullet BC or Headstamp, schit dies when the animal's CNS is disconnected via trauma or lack of O2 (bullet placement).

grin
wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'bird,

As badly as The Do Nothing Gang WISHES it to be...Pretend ain't real.(grin)

'nut,

I don't get to shoot nearly as much as you. Though I do shoot a whole [bleep] lot more than that.(grin) I tend to clean primers out daily,otherwise they'd be everywhere.

Cheer up,I've had more than quite a few 270's and am simply afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess. Now if all a gent has is a 270,then he may as well make the most outta it and that can ONLY be accomplished in one way...and dat's boolit selection. Hint.

The 270 is easily whooped,but a guy could do worse,so there's at least sumptin' the 270 Guys can tell themselves. Laffin'!

Not that I don't enjoy The Paper Hat Brigade tryin' to talk boolits and numbers sometimes mattering and other times not. Laffin'!

In overview,the 270 simply don't connect very many dots,but for the gent with a clue...it can certainly be pressed into service. "Surprisingly" all these windage adjustable rear/number don't matter/"hard charging" [bleep],are more than a touch loathe to muse particulars. That is an interestnig constant,on top of being funnier than [bleep]. Mainly because I do enjoy a good Hail Mary/Kentucky Windage yarn,"substantiated" by a range guesstimate,formulated via "all" them years of "practice". Funny schit!

Never not a hoot,to give them who "do" the least,the most slack on the rope and then simply watch the [bleep] Show.

EPIC humor +P+!

PS and by the way,beeg Reloading Day today and it's about to be a Fire Form Bonanza. If only for conversation,I often rattle through 1000+ rounds of boltgun fodder in a day...mainly because it is fun.

Hint.

'17,

Hardly an argument,more like a [bleep] Slapstick Side Show as these drooling dumbfhuqqs do their "best" and quantify it with their "experience","knowledge" and "results". One only needs to pay out slack on the rope and get ready to howl with [bleep] laughter!

Numerical designators tie into Physics rather nicely(understatement). Curiously enough...not all boolits is equal,despite the "best" efforts of the legion of Clueless Drooling Dumbfhuqqs trying feverishly,to quantify same. FUNNY how it actually works. Hint.

VERY easy to substantiate cause/affect and to roll in accordance to them facts. Read that again. Hint.

I suspect Imaginary Pretend Ignore is close and cats is gonna get tongues,as well as couches capturing kchunts.

Just sayin'.(grin)

'bore,

Do not confuse her with facts...if only because she's at the mercy of her abilities and honestly doing her "best".

Which is of course,the ONLY reason it is soooooooooo [bleep] funny!

Wow +P+!

'nm,

You've an unfair "advantage" in that you needn't play dumb,as it's innate to you. Though in fairness...you sure as [bleep] CAIN'T play smart. Funny how it actually works. Laffin'!

Here...I'll B.C. your incredibly STUPID ass,if only to rub your nose further in your Stupidity.

Your "Magical" and highly "esteemed" '06 Load(2750fps/180NPT),as per your quivering lips:

[Linked Image]

Now the BC side of the equation,ala S/A and a 22" spout via 7-08/162 at 2700fps.

[Linked Image]

Now please note that despite a shorter barrel,shorter case,less boolit weight,less powder,less expense and less recoil...that your Goat [bleep] '06 is a distant second [bleep] fiddle(understatement). PLEASE say that you don't understand and that BC doesn't matter,then quip sumptin' in regards to Sectional Density. Laffin'!

Mebbe interject the Secret Squirrel PM Trump Card and how "numbers don't matter"...at least (1) more time,before saying you "don't care" the millionth time.

Laffin'!

PS and by the way...all my 30-'06's are stamped "7-08".

Just sayin'.

Hint.

(Addendum: got to laughing too hard and forgot PG took all her marbles and ran home)

If only because I love the pic.

Skinner exit on a Gopher.

[Linked Image]

162A-Max exit on a Gopher.

[Linked Image]

With both Gophers sliding nicely into the All Time Book.

Just sayin' and here's hoping,you "think" that's it.

Laffin'!

Bless your heart.

'17,

I'm more than happy to pay the dues,in order to reap the rewards and realize....most ain't.

Happy Couching.

'nut,

I hardly shoot 1000 rounds every day,but them days ain't overly rare.

If it weren't fun...I'd simply not do it.

I live in a large Metropolitan Hub and it is a real effort to slate a slot at The Range,then there's Membership Dues,the commute,etc.

Then again....mebbe [bleep] not.(grin)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Funny.

Enjoy your reloading day.

Today is beer, football (rugby league not that pansy stuff with helmets), all from the comfort of the..... couch. blush

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If only for conversation,I often rattle through 1000+ rounds of boltgun fodder in a day...mainly because it is fun.

Boxer,

My Math figurin' would roughly indicate that you shoot more in two weeks than I do in six months... roughly your 1000 rounds a day vs. my 1000 rounds each couple a weeks.

That's a bunch of powder and primers...grinnin'.

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Maybe we should go in reverse. Take your 350 yard 180 gr shot vs a 375 H&H shooting 260's and see what you would have gained.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
In what part of the animals death does BC contribute?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 270 Win is the cartridge many are compared to, but none quite match.

A man after my own heart. I love the 7x57 and have a distinct liking for the 35 Whelen but the 270 was my first love starting in 1969...nothing's changed.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 16bore

Maybe we should go in reverse. Take your 350 yard 180 gr shot vs a 375 H&H shooting 260�s and see what you would have gained.

Are you kidding me? The 180 seems to have worked just fine.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by 16bore

Maybe we should go in reverse. Take your 350 yard 180 gr shot vs a 375 H&H shooting 260�s and see what you would have gained.

Are you kidding me? The 180 seems to have worked just fine.
I think what he's getting at is,the flight path of the two. What I'm trying to convey is,when the bullet hits flesh.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
In what part of the animals death does BC contribute?

The part where the bullet ends up where it's supposed to more often (due to less drift)... and the part where more work is done on critter clockwork (due to greater retained energy). More BC is never a bad thing.... ever.... given adequate projectile integrity.

Not sure if you could find more ass and less drift at 500 yds, for a mere 40 grains of powder, than a 7/08 flinging 162s @ 2600+

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I shot 85 TSX's at 3912 today...
I shot 95 TTSX's at 3730 today...
I shot 130 NBT's at 3103 today...

They all shot well enough to make me smile. Tomorrow will be dedicated to the 223 and 260.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (257_X_50, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 25classic, 1beaver_shooter, 270cowboy, 70 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,405
Posts18,506,968
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.