Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
When I shot the Red Hartebeest it was calm. Due believe that the 180 gr Nosler Partition did right well. When I shot,it fell,THEN we heard the bullet WHOP! Also it was 350 yds and not 500 yds. wink

Last edited by elkhunternm; 07/12/14.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I shot 85 TSX's at 3912 today...
I shot 95 TTSX's at 3730 today...
I shot 130 NBT's at 3103 today...

They all shot well enough to make me smile. Tomorrow will be dedicated to the 223 and 260.

Sahhhhweeet.

Nice thing I�ve found with the 270 is it�s never been hard to make book velocities, unlike a whole bunch of other cartridges I�ve messed with.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
The 3912 average was with 63grs of RL17. That's under book max, but getting more powder in the case may have been a chore..

Funny, but the recoil was noticeably less with the 85.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Just looked up some numbers in the Nosler #7 reloading manual.

180 gr Nosler Partition BC .474 at 2700fps has retaining velocity of 2169fps @ 300 yds. At 400 yds it's 2007fps.

180 gr Nosler Accubond BC .507 at 2700fps has a retaining velocity of 2199fps @ 300yds. At 400 yds it's 2045fps.

The difference in drop with a 200 yd zero is .2" at 300 yds.

So where's the advantage again?

Last edited by elkhunternm; 07/12/14.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
In what part of the animals death does BC contribute?

The part where the bullet ends up where it's supposed to more often (due to less drift)... and the part where more work is done on critter clockwork (due to greater retained energy). More BC is never a bad thing.... ever.... given adequate projectile integrity.

Not sure if you could find more ass and less drift at 500 yds, for a mere 40 grains of powder, than a 7/08 flinging 162s @ 2600+

A 7mm-08 is a good one, and the 162s fly well. Many of us don�t want to use or have had bad experiences with Amaxs, though, or simply cannot find them.

IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I shot 85 TSX's at 3912 today...
I shot 95 TTSX's at 3730 today...
I shot 130 NBT's at 3103 today...

They all shot well enough to make me smile. Tomorrow will be dedicated to the 223 and 260.
cool

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The 3912 average was with 63grs of RL17. That's under book max, but getting more powder in the case may have been a chore..

Funny, but the recoil was noticeably less with the 85.

That�s what I noticed about the 85s, as well.

I loaded some 85s down somewhat with RE15. Seeing as they are built for the 6.8 SPC, figured they would work well slowed down - and they do. Started at 3100 they kill stuff just fine, and kick like a 243. Makes for an excellent starter rifle that a kid can grow into.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just looked up some numbers in the Nosler #7 reloading manual.

180 gr Nosler Partition BC .474 at 2700fps has retaining velocity of 2169fps @ 300 yds. At 400 yds it's 2007fps.

180 gr Nosler Accubond BC .507 at 2700fps has a retaining velocity of 2199fps @ 300yds. At 400 yds it's 2045fps.

The difference in drop with a 200 yd zero is .2" at 300 yds.

So where's the advantage again?

A 200gr NAB, 2600fps at the muzzle, will be going 2035 fps at 400 yards.

The 200gr bullet with 0.588 has caught up to the 180gr bullets and will start to lead from there out. It'll be faster and have an extry 20gr.

Last edited by 4th_point; 07/12/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I call my hunting buddy "Fuddy-Duddy". He is afraid of nose-cones and all-copper bullets. He shoots Partitions... his dad goes to the Nosler store to get them. Fuddy-Duddy can still bang steel at 500-600y with his dotz though.

His son and I have tried talking him into a plastic-tipped bullet and turrets, but he'd need his reading glasses to read the scale on the turret!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by 16bore
How does that address the BC question?

Maybe we should go in reverse. Take your 350 yard 180 gr shot vs a 375 H&H shooting 260�s and see what you would have gained.

Are you kidding me? The 180 seems to have worked just fine.
I think what he's getting at is,the flight path of the two. What I'm trying to convey is,when the bullet hits flesh.

At 350 the 180gr has more speed, less drop, less drift and the same amount of ass as the 260gr. BC can even win in a 30-06.......

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 16bore

At 350 the 180gr has more speed, less drop, less drift and the same amount of ass as the 260gr. BC can even win in a 30-06.......

So, based on the numbers, the 30/06 is the killing equivalent of the 375 H&H? I mean it will make as big a wound channel, tear up as much muscle and bone and be as effective on heavy game? Based on the numbers? Is that what this means?

Based on the BC?

I guess some people really believe this?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bob, and there I thought (and you too I reckon) that holes kill animals rather than numbers?!?!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This schit is funny and I enjoy the haste folks are in...to get in over their pointy heads.

Poor poor [bleep] stupid 'nm couldn't choose a boolit to save her soul and PG gets all the "bad" A-Max,though she has never even shot one. EPIC [bleep] humor!

The only thing this Thread is missing is a Jeff-O chart,quantifying all the boolits she's never seen,let alone used and some more guesses on how they do on flesh/bone.

I do wonder who dresses these stupid [bleep] and chews their food for them?!?

Just oh soooooooooooo WOW.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
makes my pointy head wonder what spanker would use in a 7-08 for close range venison chops,where the range probably wont be over 150,at least hasn't been yet in 40 years.
local favorites include 140 hornie,but I m looking to try the 120 nose cone.
shiett,30-30 been working for years ,so I hear anyway ,270 would probably work ok,too,in a pinch.
if I had a la.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
fluffy,

Truth be told, my 270 is marked "7mm-08"grin

I bought the 7-08 Montucky last year. I was slow on the uptake and failed to squirrel the 162gr AMAX so I've been playing with 120gr bullets until they are online again.

Last year I got tag soup for elk, but shot a blacktail at ~20 yards in the neck with 120gr TTSX. Muzzle velocity was 3000 fps. I was surprised that there was little if any bloodshot meat.

Jason

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I spent a lot of years with just the .30-30, .32 Special, .35 Remington, and .45-70. BC's were terrible but stuff still died quick. But then northeastern hunting is a close range game normally. I only ever remember two kills I made that were beyond .45-70 range, a whitetail at 300 and a Pronghorn at 250. Sometimes I think about just getting rid of everything and getting another .45-70 and being done with it. It can take everything in North America inside of 200 yards and I don't much care to shoot further than that anyway.

Last edited by moosemike; 07/13/14.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
fluffy,

I rather love the 223AI on Venison to 500yds+ and I hear it do nice thangs up close too. Have got a hunch,that I've prolly shot a 7-08 too. Have even suffered Turdy-Turdies,as well as [bleep] 270's to boot.

The ONLY way to maximize any/all chamberings,is due boolit selection.

Now lemme fuel your Imagination and connect some more dots.

[Linked Image]

Hint.

4th,

75A-Max at 15yds via Samtucky,last Fall. Another boolit poor poor stupid [bleep] PG has never shot,yet feels "experienced" enough to comment upon.

[Linked Image]

Hell,I mighta even shot a 120X in a 7-08 once.(grin)

500yd++ Holler Point(105Hornie HPBT) from last Fall and yet another that PG has never shot,but feels "experienced" enough to comment upon.

[Linked Image]

Luckily Imagination and Pretend are free,so she can "contribute".(grin)

dooshmike,

A 45-70 is a series of heavy compromises,that bears little fruit. That as a function of it's case design,boolit designs and the very platforms in which it is housed. Piss poor trade of performance to recoil,if only for starters.

Noone likes 15yd broadsides more than I,but there's just sumptin' soothin' about light done right,flingin' great boolits. Conjoin said handy parcel with S/S and a synthetic handle of repute and if you ain't careful...you'll be having FUN and dreaming up fresh reasons to go shoot even more. With that increase in round count,"luck" grows in non-lineal fashion and before you know it,you's connectin' dots on "accident".

When is the last time you rattled through 500+ rounds of 45-70 in a day?!?(grin)

Killing schit is beyond easy,if you wish it to be and such things interest me. Fact is...it always has.

Hint.

Noone ever got good with a rifle,by talkin' about it and the one thing these Threads all have in common,is that when it's all said and done,there's going to have been a [bleep] of a lot more said...than done.

My crummy is warmin' up now and there's better than a dozen rifles in it.(grin)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B,

I'm realizing that rifles aren't that different than the stock market. Some hold onto traditional beliefs and are nostalgic over certain rifles and chamberings... like Fundamental Traders. Others just want numbers and data, and don't care about nostalgia or tradition. The numbers and data tell them everything they need to know. These are the Technical Traders. I find myself getting nostalgic at times, but I want data... show me the numbersgrin

A leever in a traditional chambering like 45-70 or 30-30 would do great in the jungle of the coastrange. But as you well know, there are openings, clearcuts, and opportunities to shoot from one finger to the other. The fella that limits himself/herself to a leever leaves all that opportunity behind. There really is no downside to a bolt action in the jungle as far as I can tell.

In terms of the 270... I think its nostalgia. Plus it works. And its not a bad choice for Joe-average. Its not the best choice for the Technical Looney though. Ok for the Fundamental/Nostalgic/Traditional looney. The Technician will seek more.

Regarding Goat, I got to say Billy is an experienced and reasonable fella. Heads and shoulders above most at the 'Fire. He's got a reason for not liking AMAX bullets and I'd like to hear why. I know that you, Jordan, Tanner, and others have had good luck with them among many others. The idea that AMAX bullets are not suitable for hunting has been de-bunked over and over, but I haven't used them myself, yet.

PS - Montucky 223 is next on the list, with Super Fixt Pfukker and 75gr AMAXes. Low cost in terms of recoil and components. For me, the S/A Montana design is off the charts in terms of fit, weight, and features. I was getting ahead of myself with other chamberings but you're right... 223/223AI is what I need. Thanks for that advice awhile back.

Off to shoot 85 grainers... unfortunately they are attached to carbon. Drew "Unsuccesful" for my elk season this year and will be flinging projectiles Indian-style.

Jason

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
4th,

Everyone looks at things differently and I enjoy the "numbers don't matter" Faction,as they've an uncanny knack for quantifying same,with their "results".(grin) I never was one to [bleep] around or linger and results have always interested me,which is why I never could correlate all boolits being "equal"...nor close.

Joe Average is always gonna be best served with a 223 or a 308,simply because great ammo abounds,which is a reiteration of boolits mattering more than headstamps. There's been bajillions of R&D spent in regards to those (2) rounds and due that,there are lotsa exceptional boolits chambered for them. That's how dots reliably get connected.

The 270 can be made to do nice thangs,when boolits is gived a thunk,like a myriad of other chamberings. It's bore sizing has long been maligned by the Makers,but dat is changing and it's better now,than ever. It's just too easy to whoop it's ass in a short action,so there's no real point in suffering it's suck...unless one of course is paying back a bet,sorely lost. Laffin'!

I've killed alotta schit underneath guys,armed with Levers,Self Shuckers and Trombones(as well about any bolt you can think of). That'd be a gross understatement of epic proportions.(grin) Never was no good at being greedy and always happy to let someone have first crack or first cast at sumptin' good. Never liked to see good schit get away,so always was(am) at ease in finishing things. My first and original MAGNIFICENT Seven(7-08),was the bane of pards for years and years...because I flat mowed schit down with it and as it sets today,it's on it's 6th barrel. I shot the Old Gal a touch much and it mighta just inspired similar chambered purchases,for more than a whole schit load of folks,who thought they was gonna show me sumptin'.(grin)

I've mebbe/prolly stepped in some Coast Country and knowed from Day One,that a light done right boltgun had no equal,or close. Them constants,remain constant to this day and the forecast ain't fixed to change,if only to the chagrin of Window Licker everywhere.

Goat tries and is doing the best she can,with what incredibly little she's got to work with. I enjoy her Imagination and Pretend quite a bit,due the inherent humor of her clueless bufoonery. Funny schit! There's little danger of her shooting much of anything,but I do enjoy the guffaws of her Imagined "trevails". Oh I prolly live in the highest density of A-Max's per capita,of ANYwhere in the [bleep] World.(grin) I've a "hunch",that I'm afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess in their regards and that of a whole [bleep] schit load of other boolits to boot. Hint.

Been shooting all day and Lee-Lu was gunning his 3rd Times THE Charm Montucky 223AI. He's squirting F/F 50V-Max at 3300fps and with 80MOA left in the 6x MD Fixed [bleep]'s erector from a 225yd zero,it'll reach a spell. Had him dump over 1000 MOA through the erector between pokes,as a means of quantifying erector travel integrity and it'd touch boolit holes at the 100yd line. Mirage was a [bleep] kchunt and the wind sporty,but he gunned a 375yd trio on paper,that noone would believe. It'll prolly do nice thangs,once stoked with formed hulls and 75A-Max.(grin) I've 42.7 mils available on my Samtucky,from a 225yd zero with this batcha 75A-Max at 2930fps...so he's HATIN' forming 50's,especially in this wind. Good times!

It's all about the contour and numbers don't matter.

Laffin'!

REALLY enjoyed poor poor [bleep] stupid 'nm trying to talk boolits too,as she was trying not to play dumb...but couldn't.(grin)

Bless their hearts.

Time to grab a coupla different rifles,load a smidge,grab a bite and go shoot again...then glass Bucks until dark.

It's rough.(grin)

(Addendum: for pics)

Wadded up targets and tossed 'em the bed of my crummy and remembered they was still there,so gunned a coupla frames...if only for conversation.

There was 1000++ MOA wracked on the erector,between the trio of pokes touching,in the lower cluster. Stretched paper at 100,to check tracking and what was gonna transpire via gross erector abuse. Total travel up/down is better than 300MOA. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Lapooey hulls and 50gr Zombie kiss. This FF batch were 1MOA higher than the last,due a powder swap,so it printed that much higher at the100yd line. It ain't now. Hint.(grin)

[Linked Image]

My Samtucky with 70MOA inclination and the aforementioned 42.7 Mils of erector travel on tap.

[Linked Image]

Fair to middlin' 375yd cluster,given the mirage and wind(right to left)...and "lowly" 6x glass.

[Linked Image]

As mentioned prior,it'll prolly do nice thangs with formed cases and 75's.(grin)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boxer, you got a point there. I never shot 500 rounds of .45-70 in a day. I'd hate to know what I'd feel like if I did. laugh

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1234, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,552 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,417
Posts18,507,319
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.