Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Forgot to add that Jones kills a bunch of pigs with his POS DPMS in case you guys missed that. grin

Jones is the MAN! As soon as this POS gets to running we will see what we see. Of course I have to get the flux capacitor and belvil washers adjusted first....9 3/4 pounds as it sits with 10 in the mag.

[Linked Image]

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
nice shooting there blue. i think i'm starting to understand the difference between targets and pigs. i would have rested over the hood and taken out those close ones first lol.

jimmyp - i have used the pvs14 with an eotech on a shotgun at close range. i have also used it with an ir laser. the laser is cool, but it only works if the pigs don't have night vision; otherwise you'll give your position and they will charge. if you're unfortunate enough to have a dpms, they'll kill you.

don't now about the aimpoint at 100 yards. my eyes are as old and worn out as i am (i couldn't even see what blue was shooting at). i need some magnification. to stay on topic with this thread, i'd suggest getting the pvs14 to satisfy the critics who think anyone spending $12k on a thermal is an idiot. but go ahead get the thermal too, to satisfy the crowd that thinks a pvs14 is just a hobby toy.

[Linked Image]

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A man could kill a ton of pigs with a single shot as long as he has night vision and a can. In fact, there's a few videos out there with a guy killing a ton of pigs with night vision/thermal and a spear.

You have to keep things in perspective.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
agreed. give me a single shot and i could triple my kills. let's see how other folks do when handicapped with a jamming pos dpms.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It's not the jamming pos that enables you to kill so many, that's like saying Jimmy Johnson wins so many championships cause he wears Nike shoes.

That's all.

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
[Linked Image]

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
She don't have a Knight either LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Out to 100 yards-For a 10" plate or larger I never bother using a support or a barricade, it just takes too much time. For 8" plates I'll consider it, depending on how many there are. For a full size torso target I'll go out to 150 before I use a barricade.

People don't realize how much time you spend getting set up using a support to stabilize your shots. When you see it on a timer, it's significant.

But shooting steel lends itself to unsupported shooting. I don't have to hit the center of the plate, just anywhere on the plate is a hit.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
i think targets and pigs are more similar than i thought.

- we're both holding our first shot until something tell us 'go'.

- we both try to get as many hits as possible in a short period of time.

- we both get audible recognition when we smack the target.

- and to quote you for my favorite similarity... "I don't have to hit the center of the plate, just anywhere on the plate is a hit."

i don't know if you lose points for a miss, but i get to keep shooting the same one if i need to! grin

here's another pic, just to keep things in perspective...

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
IMHO an AR is the ultimate parts platform.

You can get by with about any lower. One of my winning guns has... gasp... a 35 dollar EA lower.

You then start shooting. YOu'll find out real quick what you need and what does work and what needs to be replaced as you go.

Or you can go buy someone elses idea of whats perfect to them, pay their price, and be satisfied if you were them....

If it works..... too many folks fixing chit that ain't broke,.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTW Blue, nice shooting, you got it going there good to start with and were flowing well at the end.

Irons just take getting used to. I"d have never believed when I started, that I could hit stuff way off....

and in one line of thinking, you don't see the horrible wobble you do with optics so sometimes its easier to break shots with the irons...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Absolutely Jeff. On torso size targets I'm faster with irons at 100 yards or so because I don't see as much wobble as I do with a dot. Shrink the target to about 8" and a dot is faster for me. Let me put my 1-6 on about 2.5 and I'll smoke them.

My fastest run with irons was 6.xx. Dot was 7.xx. A buddy had magnification and ran it in just under 5. That's pretty dang fast for five hits at 100.

DJones-On steel each target has to get a hit. If you leave a steel unshot it's a 20 second penalty, which will ruin an entire match, so you've gotta hit them all. But you can shoot as much as you want, the penalty for misses is the time it takes you to shoot again. Which in itself is a big penalty. On an array of five targets, if you're sending more than seven shots you're screwing up. It's not so bad if you call a miss and immediately shoot again. But if you transition to another target and then have to come back to a miss you're screwed.

Everybody thinks it's all "spray and pray". And for the guys at the middle of the pack that's a worthwhile strategy. But if you wanna win there's VERY little room for any error, because the guy ahead of you isn't missing at all.

Last edited by Bluedreaux; 07/13/14.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Blue, where do you zero?

Since the ACOG, I've switched from the 50/200 to a 100 meter zero and so far I'm liking it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Forgot to add that Jones kills a bunch of pigs with his POS DPMS in case you guys missed that. grin

Jones is the MAN! As soon as this POS gets to running we will see what we see. Of course I have to get the flux capacitor and belvil washers adjusted first....9 3/4 pounds as it sits with 10 in the mag.

[Linked Image]

GII GAMECHANGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jones sucks, (cause he kills lots of pigs and we don't, literally, have that many wild pigs in all of Wyoming) mad but man he does kill the pigs, and he sucks. The DPMS thing is just icing on the "sucks" cake. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Short answer--I'm at 100 also.

Long answer and the why--All of our hard rifle shots are at around 100, so I wanna just be able to hold right on those tough shots and not think about holdover-under. Especially with irons, I can't hold steady enough to hold "3"" low or high at 100 (or whatever it'd be). I just wanna hold center of the target and press the trigger.

The theory is that you can't think about doing something and do it at the same time. For example, if a kid runs out in front of your car and you think "I need to brake and swerve" and then brake and swerve you'll take too long and hit the kid. You've gotta just let your body react to what it sees without conscious thought.

So if I see a target, assess where to hold, find that spot on the target, and then break the shot I've taken too long. My goal is to see the center of the target and press the trigger without thinking, just reacting to what I see. It isn't a lot of time for each shot but for 300 shots in a match it adds up.

At the police olympics last month I missed two gold medals by less than two seconds combined over two days of shooting and won two silvers by the same. That's when you start looking for ways to shave parts of seconds.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I found it much simpler to just center the target and kill it and dial up when I need to. Read the "zen of the 100 meter zero" thread a dozen times but refused to change. Then the ACOG forced me to try it and it just worked.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I cannot understand what the major difference is? Is two inches high at 100 yards a major issue for the tournament shooting?

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Read this and see which fits best for you.
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?107572-Zen-of-the-100-Meter-Zero

2" can be the difference between a kill and a runner in my game.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I cannot understand what the major difference is? Is two inches high at 100 yards a major issue for the tournament shooting?

Yes

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Short answer--I'm at 100 also.

Long answer and the why--All of our hard rifle shots are at around 100, so I wanna just be able to hold right on those tough shots and not think about holdover-under. Especially with irons, I can't hold steady enough to hold "3"" low or high at 100 (or whatever it'd be). I just wanna hold center of the target and press the trigger.

The theory is that you can't think about doing something and do it at the same time. For example, if a kid runs out in front of your car and you think "I need to brake and swerve" and then brake and swerve you'll take too long and hit the kid. You've gotta just let your body react to what it sees without conscious thought.

So if I see a target, assess where to hold, find that spot on the target, and then break the shot I've taken too long. My goal is to see the center of the target and press the trigger without thinking, just reacting to what I see. It isn't a lot of time for each shot but for 300 shots in a match it adds up.

At the police olympics last month I missed two gold medals by less than two seconds combined over two days of shooting and won two silvers by the same. That's when you start looking for ways to shave parts of seconds.

When I read someone talking conscious and subconscious, you can bet they are either at the head of the pack or getting there really quickly.
Good job.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1minute, 007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,558
Posts18,473,095
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.