Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am getting closer to the day when my son starts college. He is a rising HS senior. He is brilliant, a hard worker, loves GOD and an all around good kid. He plans on going to medical school. He has been my right hand man and hunting partner forever.

I admit to dreading the day he leaves the house. I now fully understand what my parents went through when I moved out.

What's your story?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My parents are here to see their grandkids and I just spoke to them about this very thing.

They both said they were quite pleased to see me (I was the last) go.

Whatever that's worth to you. Best of luck to your son.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Our son[only child] only went 30 miles or so. Close enough that he could return or we could visit with ease. It was still hard for mom though. It was worse when he returned after only two years and switched course going for a trade locally.
For me, the finality of which his getting married last month brought was much tougher.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kids leaving home is just a different phase of life. You miss them but they do come back. I really liked the transition from parent to something of a more equal relationship.

The role of a parent is to civilize the little varmints before inflicting them on the rest of society. Sounds like you've got that covered. Then, any relationship you have after they're civilized and gone is voluntary on both sides.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I always thought the reason one raised kids was for them to leave.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I admit to dreading the day he leaves the house.
What's your story?

I can hardly wait for my child to move out. Don't think it's going to happen anytime soon though.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Oldest daughter went to college last year.

It sucked.

Youngest daughter is a junior this year and I am already dreading her leaving.

What the hell are the wife and I going to do when they're gone?

Hell if I know.....

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Those parents that hold onto tight are doing their kids a disservice. Not only college, but the kids need to learn that they have to go where the jobs are.

Mu daughter in law, has my grand daughter so tightly wrapped that she won't consider leaving for better pay, so after college she is working at a $15/hour job, where she shuld be getting $10.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sako, my son sounds a lot like yours, and it was very difficult watching him leave home. Kids are one of God's greatest gifts in my book, and we only have them for a short time. All we can do is give them the "best we can do", and do lots of praying. Good luck to you guys, and the boy. I'm betting it all turns out very well.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine are right around the corner and frankly, I can't wait. And it's not because I want to get rid of them, but instead, because I feel at this point I am holding them back from achieving early success and reaching their full potential.

Sure, they will make mistakes, but in my experience the most successful children have parents who do not do for them what they are capable of doing, and do not do things for them that satisfy their own needs rather than the needs of the child.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's tough. It'll take about two years to get over it.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Three down here, with 3 more to go.

It's been universally good. Not that we don't miss them, but it's neat to see them spread their wings, and� Well, if not soar, at least figure it out for themselves.

I've oft explained to them, "There's only so much I'm able to teach you. Life has the rest of the lessons." Of course, in some cases I still had more to teach, but they were getting a little weary of their instructor. That's fine - I'll be here when and if they'd ever like to stop by for a Master Class.

I've never really viewed them as, "mine." I figured they were on loan from God, so I've tried to be the best steward of them that I can, during the time that they've been with me. I've been anything but perfect at it, but I won't apologize for my effort.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have friends that tell their kids when you hit 18 you better have a job to pay for your apartment. I thought that was a little harsh but they wanted them to prepare for what was going to happen when they hit 18. All my girls moved out to go to college.
It was hard to see them go but they went 1 at a time so I was eased into it. Lol

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You should be happy and proud. His leaving for college represents the effort you and your wife put into this fine young man. He will go out and be an example of your fine raising and be a positive influence on others around him. Congratulations.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very hard

Still is

But

A part of life

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I got a considerable raise upon their departure.

Beware of the bungee kids and what they can wreak. I see this happening to some of my friends and it ain't pretty.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All three of my sons are either in college or on their own and doing great. They still check in and they have all friended me on Facebook, so I can keep up. The worst part is the quiet house. I never hear the back door slam and feet running up the stairs. I used to have to check to see who was in the play room studying and whether or not they were spending the night. I miss the noise...

Harry
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My parents tax $$$$ supported me very well.....when I enlisted in the US Army at age 18! I didn't wish to burden them by more school expenses. At 18....time for a male to make his own way!! Course I'm an old phart....and member of the OLD SCHOOL!! Kids today would live with their parents until age 50 and feel like....they're 'entitled' to it!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All good stuff here. Thanks for the thoughts. I do try and focus on the fact that I have done my job, and did it well. My daughter will not be far behind. Thank God she loves to hunt too.

My son said that he wants to buy some land when he is established as a hematology/oncology doc, and build me a cabin on it. Did I say he was a good kid? <GRIN>

Yep, my kids were a gift/blessing from God, and I give thanks every day for the opportunity to raise em.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I am getting closer to the day when my son starts college. He is a rising HS senior. He is brilliant, a hard worker, loves GOD and an all around good kid. He plans on going to medical school. He has been my right hand man and hunting partner forever.

I admit to dreading the day he leaves the house. I now fully understand what my parents went through when I moved out.

What's your story?
Easier for me - much harder for the wife. But our son is excelling in school, has a full-time job waiting for him when it graduates next year and will be in this area at that time.

You'll get used to it - and, unless your son will not be around when he gets out of school, you can still do all those things at a later date.. Focus on that..

Best wishes to you and your son..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 55 invisible), 2,513 guests, and 1,492 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,002
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.