-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think a good bit of our old lost friends comes back to us in the puppy we get to fill the hole they left in our lives.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'm very sorry for your loss.

I think Will Rogers said "If dogs don't go to heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they are."

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sorry for your loss, my thoughts are with you, I have out lived way to many 4 legged hunting partners. Keep the memories close for gundogs and their human partners there is no "Rainbow Bridge" only woods fields and marshes loaded with birds where the season never ends. The pain never seems to leave us but the best thing to dull it is puppy breath.

BORN to HUNT
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I felt that way for a few years after I lost my last dog and still haven't got another dog.

My son lost two dogs in the span of a month a couple years ago when my son was 11 years old. He got another dog soon after those two died. I asked him if he was reluctant because of how much it hurt losing the other two. He said "life is short and dogs don't live long so that just means I have to love the next dog even more." Smart kid...

In any case sorry about your loss Sir.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Condolences on your loss.

Congratulations on all of those great years with a great dog.

If you care about dogs, I do not know if you can really escape the pain of their passing.

After my great old Malamute went at nearly fourteen some years back, I decided no more dogs it hurts too much to lose them, myself.

Then my Mom's great old Golden got cancer last year. Her vet said that with that type of cancer that she would, with very vigilant care, have about four to eight good months, only experiencing discomfort and disability very near her end. Mom, herself, is / was to old and frail to provide such care; but she wanted to give her dog what good time she could.

One is my Mom and the other was a great dog, so I made the three state away trip to take the Golden and do what I could to give her some good months. More credit due to that brave and strong old dog than to me, she made her full eight good months until two tough days made it clear that the vet needed to make a last house call to ease her path.

Losing her was as hard as losing one of my own.

IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Very sorry for your loss. As bad as it hurts when you lose them, they'll always be worth it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by moosemike
Thanks guys. The famous African PH JA Hunter said in his book 'Hunter' that "he wasn't sure if the pleasures of dog ownership were worth the pain caused by their deaths". I fully understand that statement.

As I always say.......dogs are better than children...they only break your heart once. You will survive this...get back on the horse and ride again...life is too short to go through it without a dog...they add so much comfort and their love is unconditional.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys. I knew I'd have a lot of company in how I feel. Every dog owner goes through it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am very sorry for your loss. I went about 10 years without a dog in my life. Dad was a hound man, and had some of the best beagles around. There's nothing out there quite like a beagle when it's hard on a rabbit's trail. I will never forget the sounds of those hounds when they'd open up on a big snowshoe up at camp. I moved from beagles to labs, and what a rude awakening-these dogs actually had to be trained! I don't know who trained who, but a better companion, a man could never ask for. Shane was the consummate buddy. When he left, I didn't think I could ever own another dog. 10 years later as I'm sitting here typing this, Pixie the Wonderbeagle is up on the back of the couch looking out the window surveying her domain. She's worthless as a hunting dog, but guards the house with reckless abandon. No one sets foot in our yard without her knowing about it, and barking about. Dog fill a lot of different roles in our lives, and I sincerely hope that the day comes when another dog figures out a way to come into your family. My heartfelt condolences for your loss, sir.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
The pain is sharp at first, but it is the quality of the relationships you make in life that makes it worth living. I firmly believe that dogs count! Hopefully the pain will trend to fond memories soon!

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry for your loss moosemike, Been through it several times myself. Cried and grieved every time. However, I will never be without a lab. Coming home to an empty quiet house is not for me. They live short lives because they love so hard.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You have my sympathy. I've had to do that several times. It's hard. Last one, I went 6 months without a dog before I even wanted to think about getting another one. But, mostly because of my wife, we adopted a Black Lab mix stray puppy. She's been with us now for a little over two years. We love her so much that it hurts just to think of losing her at some point.

My advice, follow your heart, but don't give up on having a dog. They are better than most people.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Got four dogs planted around the place here, that I personally put down. Ive not owned a dog for five years now because of that heart ache. I have a strong desire to have one more good dog....but think I'll wait until Im pretty sure the damned thing will out live me this time around.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T LEE
Very sorry for your loss Sir, they do leave a big hole in your heart when the leave.

Rainbow Bridge
(Author unknown)
Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been
especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all
of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine
and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or
maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times
gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they each miss someone very
special, someone who was left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the
distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly, he breaks from the
group, flying over the green grass, faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your
special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy
kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into
those trusting eyes, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart. Then you cross the
Rainbow Bridge together...
This made me cry like a baby when I lost my golden. I know its hard to think of another dog Mike, but it will help you heal. There are many dogs out there that would be so happy in a loving home with a loving family. RIP

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Man, that sux majorly and I truly feel for you. Had to go through that just a week and a half ago myself when we put down our buddy Cowboy, who was 15. It always hurts. Don't try to hold it in. Mourn him or her well and cherish the memories. I keep ol' Bo's tag on my key ring (he's my avatar <<<<< ), and seeing it and feeling it brings back the good times we had.

The hurt is a testament to your love. And Love endures, and flourishes in spite of adversity, so maybe when the time is right, there'll be enough love for another one. There's a lot of good, wonderful dogs in shelters and with rescue groups that are looking and waiting for good folks to share their love with.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sorry to hear. I lost the best beagle I ever had, best dog ever really, last june 6th. It doesn't seem like he been gone over a year and I still miss Bill very much every day. I feel your pain man. Sorry again.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry you lost your friend Mike, it is never easy.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry for your loss.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
frown Really sorry to learn this Mike. Danged critters have a way of getting into us like nobodys business.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know what you're going through. It'll hurt a long time.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (14idaho, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 11 invisible), 1,499 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.