Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
What do you guys use to sharpen knives in the field? At home I have a hard felt wheel on a bench grinder that I use with a honing compound, but would like something portable too. I am really bad for losing things like knives, so I don't spend a lot of money on them. A Mora or some of the yellow handled Henkels from Cabela's are what I'll most likely have with me. Plenty god for a deer or two, but I'd like something to touch up in the field or sharpen it back up when I do something stupid. Any suggestions?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
http://www.basspro.com/Rapala-TwoStage-Knife-Sharpener/product/15921/

Lots of times I just give them a few swipes on the back of the sheath (leather), or you could use your belt.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I carry Steelhead's gizmo in my hunting pack. It does a good job in the field.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you're hunting, one knife should do it all. If it can't, search for another knife or learn how to use it properly.

If you're on some epic adventure and plan on gutting, quartering, and butchering a plethora of moose sized creatures, you won't likely be carrying everything on your back at once so bring multiple knives.

In field knife sharpening is like in field reloading, or mid sex condom changes. Just pffucking pointless unless you're Gomer Pyle.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
http://www.basspro.com/Rapala-TwoStage-Knife-Sharpener/product/15921/

Lots of times I just give them a few swipes on the back of the sheath (leather), or you could use your belt.

Even if it works its still gay. A proper man can use a flat diamond hone to get a serviceable edge. A DMT blue stone and some sort of steel (Gerber's is the best I've tried) but a smooth stone and a leather boot will work nicely.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
If you're hunting, one knife should do it all. If it can't, search for another knife or learn how to use it properly.

Bullschidt. You cain't sharpen a knife for schidt, can you?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
I carry Steelhead's gizmo in my hunting pack. It does a good job in the field.

I use those too. They work great and they are fast, easy to use in the field and lightweight. It's nice to think we can do everything with 1 knife, but there are times when you need to freshen up the blade. I keep 1 of these little gadgets in each of my packs with my knives:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Even if it works its still gay. A proper man can use a flat diamond hone to get a serviceable edge. A DMT blue stone and some sort of steel (Gerber's is the best I've tried) but a smooth stone and a leather boot will work nicely.

You might explore other manufactures to expand your horizons. Frankly I'm disappointed if gerber 'steel' is the epitome of your experience. I've yet to meet a creature so physiologically complex that one knife couldn't tackle them. Just to add insult to injury, any Gene Ingram i've used was still hair popping, razor blade sharp afterwards.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

It's nice to think we can do everything with 1 knife, but there are times when you need to freshen up the blade.

Perhaps your methodologies differ from mine? Certainly a straight line is not always the most efficient vehicle between two points.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always carried a small fine stone and a Diamond steel, to my knowledge neither has ever been needed if I have good quality knife which is a older Buck of 440C steel. I have gutted and split the brisket on two young elk, and it would still shave my arm.
Tried a deer with a Gerber, mistake if you don't cut around his ass before you open the belly and split his brisket.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[color:#660000][u]Spyderco Pocket Stone[/u][/color]

The ceramic stone measures 1" x 5" x 1/8"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good steel used well and there is no need for field sharpening unless you are market shooting or accidentally hit a rock with the edge, etc. Puzzling exchange.

A friend and I were gutting and skinning a moose, he with a fixed blade full size hunting knife and me with a small Buck folder. He kept pausing to touch up his edge with a medium coarse stone and kept trying to get me to do the same. I keep the blade shaving sharp and didn't want my knife to touch such a coarse stone. Finally when we were nearly done and my knife had done 3/4 of it, when he pressed me again I shaved a clean patch of hair from my arm and didn't say a word.

At home I use an ancient razor hone and a belt. On multi-day trips I take a small fine smooth hard Arkansas stone.

A lot depends on the steel in the knife...

With a new $25 knife in Aus8 this spring I skinned and boned out an extra large black bear and that blade impressed me because it was still shaving sharp at the end. Cheap off brand but good steel...

Last edited by Okanagan; 08/03/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a Gerber Sportsman Steel to touch up an edge in the field, unless you're on an extended stay that's all you need. Unfortunately they are discontinued. Like this one except mine is separate from the sheath. Can also split a pelvis with it but a Sagan Saw works better. For compact edge grinding a circular two sided carborundum axe stone (Norton) works well.

[Linked Image]

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
http://www.basspro.com/Smiths-Pocket-Pal-MultiFunction-Knife-Sharpener/product/99664/

Use to carry a steel but these puts a good edge back in your blade and gets you back to skinning much faster.

Ted
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Well my , my, there surely are some differeing opinions here.... grin

I tend to agre with the use a good quality knife theory....but on occasion have had to touch a knife up in the field....

For years I've carried an old EZE Lap Diamond sharpener that stows withint itself. Made of brass, you unscrew it, reverse the rod end that comes out, and there you have a diamond rod sharpener at your disposable. Haven't needed it very often, but nice to have when you do.

I found it many years ago when I was in the Army. I was looking for something to take into the field/boonies with me that didn't require me to carry oil/stone in my ruck sack. This has done an admirable job.....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have the EZE lap diamond also have a small folding diamond hone from Craftsman that folds up .Either one will do .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rada

Cheap.....light......fast.....works!!!

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I too use Steelhead's gizmo. For me it works fine, and it's pretty much idiot proof. I can't for the life of me sharpen a knife with a stone.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Same I use in the homes, one in Texas, one in Idaho and one in Korea. Had one in Oz as well. They just work,

http://www.accusharp.com/

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1Longbow, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 1,883 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,877
Posts18,497,732
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.