Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yes, terminology gets in the way sometimes. About the time I finished my post, good old shockwave crashed again and I did not get it in until after you 'splained yourself and the other guys jumped you! laugh

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I don't know,...oil just keeps the stone from getting loaded up with microscopic steel fragments.

Water may work too.

I've never tried it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All of those sharpeners are good enough to freshin an edge. If you have a good steel and don't hack up bone, you should be able to take apart about fifty deer without a touch up.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
At home I have a really old electric can opener that has some double grit grinding wheels on the side of it. If I run my Gene Ingram knives through it really slow I can almost make 'em look serrated and turn kind of blueish. Really nice!

I'm trying to find a small generator I can haul along in the field to use it when I need a touch up! laugh Beat that!

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by Bobcape
At home I have a really old electric can opener that has some double grit grinding wheels on the side of it. If I run my Gene Ingram knives through it really slow I can almost make 'em look serrated and turn kind of blueish. Really nice!

I'm trying to find a small generator I can haul along in the field to use it when I need a touch up! laugh Beat that!

Bob

Hot damn, that sounds like the ticket! I'm gonna see if I can find me one of those too...no draggin a knife on a stone like a sucker for me!

Actually, I'm pretty sure my parents had the same thing, and I do believe they actually used it...had a good laugh reading your post, as it is quite accurate.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Spyderco kit.

Stays in camp.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I find it's easier to sharpen everything about once every ten years. No need to sharpen in the field, just grab the next sharp knife.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JSTUART

This was the first gut of the night, I shot and processed 74 that night, and 95 the next night...let me see your you-beaut stay sharp maintain that.
[Linked Image]
My brother posing for pic at Freshwater station NSW.

Have a nice day.

Is there nothing about the hide and meat worth keeping on the part of kangaroo tail that is cut off?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by EdM
Same I use in the homes, one in Texas, one in Idaho and one in Korea. Had one in Oz as well. They just work,

http://www.accusharp.com/

I went and bought one of those today, at a ace hardware. It did work.
I must not be much of a man being unable to sharpen a knife on my boot.
Also took a couple of knives to a professional today. One was made out of a sawmill blade, about 60years ago. The steel is hard to do anything with, at least for me. 3bucks got it sharpened. Not boots used.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by xxclaro
What do you guys use to sharpen knives in the field? At home I have a hard felt wheel on a bench grinder that I use with a honing compound, but would like something portable too. I am really bad for losing things like knives, so I don't spend a lot of money on them. A Mora or some of the yellow handled Henkels from Cabela's are what I'll most likely have with me. Plenty god for a deer or two, but I'd like something to touch up in the field or sharpen it back up when I do something stupid. Any suggestions?

Oh good, since others have pointed out that you don't have any idea how to use or sharpen a blade, and that your blades are of inherently inferior materials, as theirs are not the same and thus are to be instantly recognised as superior design, build quality, colour, and shape...and they automatically endow their users with a longer penis (or two).

For the rest of we poor uneducated saps that have been using knives for a lifetime (and obviously doing it wrong), it is a simple thing to carry a Case Moon Stick or a similar ceramic sharpening stick in the paddock, I suggest this as the ceramic sticks allow for use as a small butcher's steel and are light to carry.

This is as simple and easy as the afore-mentioned Gerber steel and the Schrade version...and as the knives in question are not comprised of a fractured titanium frame housing a depleted uranium core supporting a nano-derived diamond filament edge, in BLAZE ORANGE, each of these units will suffice.

thank you
knives bring out the who has got the biggest pecker crowd.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by milespatton
Dwayne, I always enjoy your posts. I use regular butcher knives exclusively except for the Buck folding sheath knife that I always carry. I often wonder why butchers do not buy themselves some high end knives, that you can use forever and not have to resharpen, and save themselves a lot of time and trouble. Just look at all the meat they could be cutting while they are taking care of their knives. Maybe beef prices would go down. grin miles

Miles
few years ago we had a couple of dead buffalo bulls hanging in a garage. I did assist, but i had never done a buffalo before. The guy that owned the ranch pulls out this canvas bag, with about 30 knives in there. He would use one, till he didn't like it, then reach for another. When they ALL got dull, he took them to a professional knife sharpener. There was all kinds of knives in there from name brands, to Made in Turkistan.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by rost495
Easy. Havels Piranta. Spare blades don't weigh an ounce. Carry 12 or so generally... phooey on having to sharpen in the bush. Heck I don't much use anything that needs sharpening anymore period.

Once you learn as a youth, how to dejoint things, small knives with replaceable blades, once they came along, are a heck of deal.

used one of those to do two elk year before last, heck of a good idea for skinning for sure.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Gee, I haven't spent 17 years harvesting kangaroos and field processing them for the chiller to earn my livelyhood, guess I didn't spend all those years cutting through ribs, briskets, hoppers, dirt and mud laden tails, arms, and smashed skulls and neck bones.

And I probably didn't spend a goodly number of those years harvesting pigs for the chiller either (not one or two for the fun of it).

That would explain why you're not up to figuring out that the same amount of time to sharpen a good blade that lasts five times as long amounts to both a time and money savings. You should have spent more time in school and learned your numbers.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by xxclaro
What do you guys use to sharpen knives in the field? At home I have a hard felt wheel on a bench grinder that I use with a honing compound, but would like something portable too. I am really bad for losing things like knives, so I don't spend a lot of money on them. A Mora or some of the yellow handled Henkels from Cabela's are what I'll most likely have with me. Plenty god for a deer or two, but I'd like something to touch up in the field or sharpen it back up when I do something stupid. Any suggestions?

Oh good, since others have pointed out that you don't have any idea how to use or sharpen a blade, and that your blades are of inherently inferior materials, as theirs are not the same and thus are to be instantly recognised as superior design, build quality, colour, and shape...and they automatically endow their users with a longer penis (or two).

For the rest of we poor uneducated saps that have been using knives for a lifetime (and obviously doing it wrong), it is a simple thing to carry a Case Moon Stick or a similar ceramic sharpening stick in the paddock, I suggest this as the ceramic sticks allow for use as a small butcher's steel and are light to carry.

This is as simple and easy as the afore-mentioned Gerber steel and the Schrade version...and as the knives in question are not comprised of a fractured titanium frame housing a depleted uranium core supporting a nano-derived diamond filament edge, in BLAZE ORANGE, each of these units will suffice.

thank you

I think it is just this website....most any topic brings em out.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by carbon12

This was the first gut of the night, I shot and processed 74 that night, and 95 the next night...let me see your you-beaut stay sharp maintain that.
[Linked Image]
My brother posing for pic at Freshwater station NSW.

Have a nice day.

Is there nothing about the hide and meat worth keeping on the part of kangaroo tail that is cut off?

Yes, the cosmetics industry periodically purchases the tails for the collagen, tourists like to buy hides with tails on them, and Aboriginals at some of the missions purchase the tails of reds for eating.

Those 'roos were shot for pet food whilst the fauna dealer had no orders for tails.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

thank you

Incorrect, mention of knives invariably brings out the tossers that have used a knife a half dozen times in their life, and every single stupid half-arsed idea they have.

Putting an edge on a knife and using it successfully is not rocket science or magic, it is accumulated experience, and having to read or listen to the absolute rubbish bandied about is why most of us do not generally care to discuss the matter.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by MichiganScott

Yep, that's the one I carry. I bought two of them many years ago....one for me, one for dad. I got his back after he passed....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Putting an edge on a knife and using it successfully is not rocket science or magic, it is accumulated experience

I laugh at the ones using a steel to sharpen a knife. A steel simply straightens an edge damaged by use, or when first sharpened. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by milespatton
I laugh at the ones using a steel to sharpen a knife. A steel simply straightens an edge damaged by use, or when first sharpened. miles

True. I tell people all the time that a "sharpening" steel is mis-named. It doesn't sharpen a knife because it doesn't take material off the edge. It only trues the edge.

Fact is using a steel is the overlooked tool in knife care. Many knives are sharpened when they don't need to be sharpened. They need to be steeled.

We should find another name for a sharpening steel that describes what a steel actually does.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Curious, what chain saw should I select? I cut, at max, 9 11/32" logs of dead north Idaho birch? smile

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

193 members (29aholic, 308xray, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 2500HD, 300_savage, 27 invisible), 1,782 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,186
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.