Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ingwe
It would have to be a Border Collie X Aussie

I miss mine more than mortal man should miss anything�..

[Linked Image]

That's a great mix. Have a friend that has had several. His neighbors lab visited the last one and I got one the puppies. She looks all Border Collie Aussie, just with a slightly fat lab body. She's a great dog, too.

GB4

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by usull
Originally Posted by joken2
I love dogs and always have but I doubt we'll ever own another one. My wife and I are getting older and accepting the realities of such I honestly don't want to risk leaving a grieving dog behind if we should have to go to a rest home or die. If we were to get another dog most likely it would be a full grown house broke short haired small mixed breed rescue dog or for a pure bred an adult Boston Terrier.
Joken2 , I'm in the same boat as you . I would love to get another dog , but have been in and out of Hospitals so much in the last few years , that I have about given up on the idea . I'm jealous of all you folks who can plan on a next dog . We always had German Shepherds , Rottweilers , Siberians , etc , but my favorites were the German Shepherds . I really appreciate all the Pictures and the stories behind them !

Go the Pound and get an older dog that some one else gave up on or could no longer care for.I am too old to get a puppy,not that I would not love to have one.My Dogs are nine and five years old ,so I should out live them.If one dies I will get one from the Pound. smile

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
^^^^^^

This, and not only older dogs but the funny looking guys that don't stand a chance. I've had 1/2 a dozen of these, and they all were so grateful to have someone. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by mudhen
For a companion dog, nothing beats an Australian Shepherd. Talk about unconditional love and devotion!

This will most likely be my next dog. I've had dogs my whole life, mostly all male mutts. 7 years ago we got our first full bred, a female yellow lab. She is off the charts with smarts, loyalty, etc. I have seen a few australian shepherds in action and am very impressed. I want one now but we have 2 labs, which is more than enough for the time being!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Lab. Any color. Might just and another year to your life.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Golden retriever here. Ours have been the most wonderful, loving dogs. Couldnt ask for a better breed.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Brittany. We've had such good luck with the two we've had, both of whom were rescues. The first one was a bird hunting machine and a sweet dog. The one we have now is not the hunter her predecessor was but the sweetest dog with the greatest desire to please I've ever seen.

In all honesty though I could love any good dog, no matter the breed. They just have a way of getting in your heart. At the end of the day mine climbs up on my lap and lies down, half on my leg and half on the arm of the recliner while I read, watch TV or snooze. All the cares of the world just seem to melt away as I stroke that faithful head.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Rottweiler for me but a Heeler would be a close second.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When my current Chocolate Lab Sasha goes I'll probably get another or maybe a Chessie.

Great companions for wandering the woods, decent bed warmer on a really cold night.

SC

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've had and greatly enjoyed a couple Vizslas in the past. My last one died almost four years ago and my wife and I have been dogless until a couple weeks ago. While I love the Vizslas my job situation is radically different now. I used to be able to take my dog to work with me every day but now I am working in North Dakota 15 days out of 21 and we felt like that a less energetic breed would be better. We got a red pointing lab from Morgan's Pointing Labs in NE WA state. Looking forward to many years with him.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
THIS
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
German Shepard.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hate to think about a last dog. Love my black lab pup and he seems to be an easy trainer. Looking forward to fall hunting. My griff has been a family favorite for 6 years now. Here is a pic of him smiling on a recent hike. Son sent me a screen shot of him and I never cropped it. Lot of good dogs out there, enjoyed this thread.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My current dog may be my last dog, who knows. Anyway, for me it's Chessies. For a house dog you can't beat our little Papillion. If I had the space at our current place and the time to work with them I'd love to have a couple Catahoulas or other curs. I will not have any dog I don't have time to work with properly.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is a long thread and I can't remember if I have posted on it or not but, If I lived where I had lots of room and wanted an outside dog, and especially if I lived where it was cooler than Arkansas, I would get a Great Pyrenees, or maybe a cross with one. I have owned several and they are awesome dogs. Good guard dogs without being dangerous and all that I have ever tried had a knack for trailing crippled deer. Not a house dog for sure and they love cold weather. The only one that I have ever had that tried to bite anyone was when a man that I hunt with came to pick up a deer that he had killed. He brought his 20 old Grandson and the Grandson told his Grandpa to just sit in the truck and I will drag the deer out here, which was about 50 yards. Purl got between him and the deer and growled to let him know to leave it alone. When he kept on, she bit him on the leg. He said hard enough to have brought blood if not for the Carthart overalls. As soon as the Grandfather,that Purl knew, got out of the truck she was OK with them getting the deer. She did not know the Grandson and was not letting him have the deer. She is gone now but I have a half breed out of her and an unknown father that is a great dog too. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Cool story bro

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Akita, one of the most loyal breeds.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Last edited by smokinggun; 08/11/14.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by frogman43
I have a Rat Terrier that thinks he's the baddest thing on four legs.

Every time a Bear hunting epsiode comes on the Outdoor channel, he charges the TV as if he's going to kick that bears butt! LOL Loves standing guard duty and watches out the windows/doors for any other critters or people that don't belong on our property!

Chance the wonder terrier!

[Linked Image]

His brother does the same thing...haha

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Lots of smiles and maybe a few tears reading about others dogs and thinking about mine.

I had a German Shepherd that would have taken a bullet for me. He remembered people that he met on a single occasion and years later he would walk up to greet them, but everyone had to be approved by a member of my family before he would let them near the kids or in the house. He was an amazing judge of character and after a couple years I let him make the call on the boys my daughters brought home. Funny thing is that my girls knew and went with the dogs assessment of the boys too. I heard from several people that when I left the room he gave everyone still in the room the message "I'll be taking care of things until Joe returns". We were at a soccer game once and another parent had an off leash Yorkie that kept nipping at his heals, finally Buddha had enough and sat on the little dog to keep it off his heals. The owner squealed louder than the dog but picked it up afterwards.

The last three dogs have been Boxers, two of which were rescues. Too many people love the puppies but dump them when they get bigger. They're incredibly playful and full of life and make me laugh on crappy days.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

This has got to be the greatest hunting photo ever...

[Linked Image]

Sorry Mr. Safari but, if I only had time for one more dog I'd steal one of yours. Those are some beautiful Llewellins.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
A Golden Retriever. I just had to put Sandy ,our 13 year old, down last Saturday. She still occasionally could run but she came down with mouth cancer and I didn't want to see her suffer. We got her from a rescue when she was 7. She was the happiest dog that I've ever known. She was an old-school golden, with the redder, shorter fur, longer legs and narrow head with a bump in the middle. Not these long haired, blonde things that the AKC calls Goldens.

Last edited by UPhiker; 08/12/14.
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 117LBS, 57 invisible), 2,552 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,985
Posts18,480,987
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.