Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Folks:

Over on Guns International there is an old Westley Richards .318 WR Express. It's a neat looking old rifle in a neat old caliber. But I noticed something as I was looking at the pictures. Check these out. I don't know if these are the proof marks or not, but they seem to be stamped upside down. I can't imagine the barrel ever having been removed as all the furniture is right. I just thought this was odd. Do you think maybe the guys in the shop were having gin instead of tea in their cups one day?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What is that? A Remington? grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
No man, it's Westley Richards. The bolt handle is still there!!

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Is there a brewery near Westly Richards?

British breweries are reputed to have run lunch and tea rooms for not only their own but nearby companies employees with free beer.

LandRovers with assembly oddities are sometimes called 'Old Peculiers' because of one such reputed relationship between a Rover factory and a Theakston brewery.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Rovering; 08/13/14. Reason: their v there
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Cool old Rover! Gotta have an old WR to carry around in it. cool

IC B2

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Seriously though, I wonder why that stamp is upside down. Here's a link to the GB site that has a boat-load of pictures on it. From the looks of it, the stock may have also been repaired at one time, but I'll be danged if I can see any cracks.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=434763791

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Have you bid on it yet,Rev? grin

That firearm has "class" written all over it.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Have you bid on it yet,Rev? grin

That firearm has "class" written all over it.

You know, Elk, I didn't. You're right about it having "class" written all over it, but with my eyes I'd have to scope it, clear up why the bloomin' caliber stamp is upside down (a note to WR would probably do that), probably have to have it rebored to something else since the cordite has probably eaten away the insides, etc.

But, you know, even at the asking price it ain't so bad. Know anyone who really likes old African calibers? Hmmm...why don't you buy it? whistle

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Think I can talk the wife into letting me buy that?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Lots of class, like you said.

But look at some if the pics on the GB site. Does the stock look repaired? Are those brass tacks and plugs holding things together?

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RevMike
No man, it's Westley Richards. The bolt handle is still there!!

Touche'

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yes,the stock is repaired. If you look at one of the close up pics near the end,there is a crack above the trigger/magazine that goes to the plug behind the trigger guard.

Just broke my heart. frown

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Might still be a shooter, just at a bigger discount. Bet one of the fellows on the gunsmith forum could fix it right up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can see a crack there. Looks like it's holding though.

Huntington has Bertram cases! Only $95.98

.......per 20!

What fresh Hell is this?
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
And Woodleigh bullets...that's some expensive shooting.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by RevMike
Might still be a shooter, just at a bigger discount. Bet one of the fellows on the gunsmith forum could fix it right up.
Yup and then you could kill lots of pigs with it.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Sort of heavy for feral hogs, don't you think?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't worry so much about the stamping being upside down. The broken wrist of the stock (it has three pins and a dowel holding it together) would worry me a lot more and the fact that, unless I missed it, the seller didn't address the condition of the bore.

Another thing that bothers me is that the caliber is marked on top of the barrel, but I don't see the name Westley Richards anywhere. A Westley Richards 425 mag I used to own years ago, had the name "Westley Richards" spelled out on it. Maybe that's the way they did it on their lower end rifles�.But it is something I'd have to know for sure before I plunked down $ for a WR marked rifle.

It is cool looking, but I just can't see anything special about it and I can see a bunch that really make me question this one.

Harry
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Not with iron sights and the range you shoot them at.

IIRC the .318 WR is kinda like a .338-06,maybe a little slower with a 250 gr bullet,but it'll knock the snot out of them pigs. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mathsr
I wouldn't worry so much about the stamping being upside down. The broken wrist of the stock (it has three pins and a dowel holding it together) would worry me a lot more and the fact that, unless I missed it, the seller didn't address the condition of the bore.

Another thing that bothers me is that the caliber is marked on top of the barrel, but I don't see the name Westley Richards anywhere. A Westley Richards 425 mag I used to own years ago, had the name "Westley Richards" spelled out on it. Maybe that's the way they did it on their lower end rifles�.But it is something I'd have to know for sure before I plunked down $ for a WR marked rifle.

It is cool looking, but I just can't see anything special about it and I can see a bunch that really make me question this one.

All good points. I suppose a note to WR would help authenticate it one way or the other.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1badf350, 160user, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,338
Posts18,487,696
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.