Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll believe it when I see it. Meanwhile we're in the "100 degrees and dry forever" forecast doldrums around here.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...-lighten-up-by-winter-report-5706003.php

SAN ANTONIO � Three years have passed since Texas endured one of the worst droughts in history. In September and October of 2011, more than 80 percent of the state was in an exceptional drought, the highest category on the U.S. drought monitor scale.

Today, 59 percent of the state is experiencing drought conditions from moderate to exceptional, while 22 percent is experiencing dry conditions and 19 percent is experiencing no drought.

Though, a new report from the Climate Prediction Center states that drought conditions in Texas most likely will improve or end by the end of the year. The only area in Texas that will experience persistent or intensified drought conditions is the southern point of the state.

Victor Murphy, climate services program manager for the National Weather Service, said the drought already has been lifted in some eastern portions of the state, including Houston. But, the land from the Panhandle to Wichita Falls, have remained in an extreme drought, he said.

For Bexar County, Murphy said conditions range from dry to a moderate drought.

"Areas right now that are only in moderate drought should probably improve and get out of drought," he said.

Unfortunately, Murphy said although wet conditions will return, the drought's symptoms may never leave. For example, he said Medina Lake's low capacity may never return to normal, unless there is an "extremely unusual" amount of rainfall.

"I'll be honest, I'm not sure it's ever going get to back to where it was," he said. "It's going to take a protracted period of heavy rain over a long period of time to get Medina Lake back to normal."

Medina Lake, just west of San Antonio, is 4.1 percent full, and has climbed since the record low of 2.7 percent capacity in May, when the lake was 91 feet below normal.

"This drought's been so persistent for so long, that normal rainfall is not good enough," he said.

He also stated that the Edwards Aquifer currently sits at 627.1 feet, the lowest since the drought began in October 2010.

Dry conditions began after tropical storm Hermine hit the southern coast in early September.

"It's almost like some flipped a light switch," Murphy said, referring to the sudden drought, which has been the worst Texas has seen since the 1950s.

The U.S. Seasonal Drought Outlook report is valid through Nov. 30, and was based on both short and long term conditions, climatology and El Ni�o forecasts.

For the nation, dry conditions are expected to worsen throughout California, Nevada, Oregon and parts of Utah, Idaho and Washington, the report states.

California is facing one of the worst droughts on record, and Gov. Jerry Brown declared a drought State of Emergency in January. Even celebrities, such as Lady Gaga and Conan O'Brien, have urged Californians to conserve water to help to ease drought symptoms.

California's drought has quickly intensified since late 2011, when majority of the state was experiencing do drought, the drought monitor states. Drought conditions climbed slowly on a weekly basis until January. Since January, exceptional drought conditions have increased from nonexistent to the current reading of 58 percent.

I dunno how he figures San Antonio (Bexar County) is only in a "dry to moderate drought" state crazy

But... apparently we ain't been as bad as it got in the 1950's yet, musta been global warming back then no doubt wink

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Darn. I wonder now if Buchanan will ever fill in that case? Why would he think we would never again have periods of extreme wet weather?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've been seeing similar predictions Birdwatcher, lets hope they turn out to be right.

While we are certainly in better shape than we were the last three summers, we still have a looonngg way to go before full recovery.

We've had somewhat decent rains since early May here, but runoff has been minimal.

Unfortunately for many of the lakes it's going to take one of those 12" in a day type rains to have any significant effect on their level. Heck its going to take that just for some of the stock tanks to fill back up!

Bill

Last edited by tx270; 08/24/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's dry as a popcorn fart here.

Close to 7 inches behind normal for this year, and add that to 12" behind normal last year, and it's serious.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I as well as others believe the Lake Travis of the 60's, 70's, and 80's (barring the drought of '62); is a thing of the past. Yes, it may refill (along with the other highland lakes like Buchanan) but their levels will be short lived, as water demand in the Austin metro and lower Colorado river (agriculture) with be gargantuan.

The best example was the 2005 flood in the highland lake watershed. In less than 4-5 years the lake levels are about where they are now. Dismal.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by eyeball
Darn. I wonder now if Buchanan will ever fill in that case? Why would he think we would never again have periods of extreme wet weather?

Because he is a damn idiot.

Drought is followed by flooding. Thats pretty much the norm. It'll take a big rain event to fill resevoirs. But it'll likely come. Today. Probably not. This year? Who knows. Could be years. But it can take one hurricane, with it stalled as a depression in the right place.

It very well can be the climate changing as its always done, but in 30 years, I think we'll be in another drought... if it follows trends somewhat.

Between now and then, we'll survive too.

Weather forecasts. One of the biggest wastes of time to watch, especially the long range.

We've had 100s for 2 weeks or so, and before that upper 90s. Was almost too hot to burn at fire school end of July, for the health of us mid day in bunker gear.

But our last forecast for 10 days was 100s, ZERO chance of rain in teh forseeable future.... and I used windshield wipers twice Friday coming home from work and then an EMS call.
Granted it wasn't much, some got 3/10. And I saw a rainbow.

But that was a day after our guy said, NO chance of rain or showers or anything for at least 10 days. Lows around 80.

Its a waste, just like watching the news.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The live oaks are shedding leaves here on my place. Other trees have died in the past month.

Hopefully El Nino will pull a rabbit out of a hat...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was in San Antonio late August 1974. Salado Creek through Ft. Sam Houston flooded the training grounds on Ft. Sam. It seems a hurricane came on shore at Corpus Christi.

I hate to say it but maybe you guys need another hurricane. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We need a tropical storm, maybe. A hurricane does too much damage to be considered more beneficial than destructive.

Regular rain would help as well.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I as well as others believe the Lake Travis of the 60's, 70's, and 80's (barring the drought of '62); is a thing of the past. Yes, it may refill (along with the other highland lakes like Buchanan) but their levels will be short lived, as water demand in the Austin metro and lower Colorado river (agriculture) with be gargantuan.

Yep, same thing down here too with the Edwards Aquifer. Seems like all we grow around here is new housing tracts, and every one of 'em draws from the aquifer.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The drought actually started in 2002, right after a classic "Texas Flood", been downhill since.

Gonna take some good wet stuff to fix this. Might be fish in the rivers again after about ten years.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I dunno just how much. I believe LCRA has the figures but the lakes ain't near as deep as they were back during the days of the WPA projects which built them. Silted in! Buchanan gets it the worst.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They ain't just buying it up, its going to be controlled in the name of endangered species too. There is no media coverage to expose these facts.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There's a difference between getting rain and ending drought.
U-Kansas does research by digging trenches in farmers fields and observes how deep the dry layer of soil extends.
In most places it's a over 4 feet at present, indicating a depletion of ground water.
Imagine what that test trench would show out in the panhandle.
Gonna take a lot of rain to make up that dry spell.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Seems like the rest of the country is getting drenched pretty good. California is going into its 4th year of drought conditions. So far the 2014-2015 season which started July 1st, we've gotten 1.68 inches, 0.42 inches in a couple hours Wednesday.

We've been averaging 1/3 less than average for the last 3 seasons, and its starting to take a toll. Nearly all reservoirs are between 30 and 45% of capacity... and finally it looks like a bill will be put in place to start regulating ground water!

Will it get better this year... its looking like any chance of an El Nino is disappearing.

Phil

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The southern half of California is a friggin desert so what could be expected??

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kerrville, Hill Country, Texas. Water well guy came out and added another 63 feet of pipe to my dads well, dropping the pump well below the bottom of the casing. Water level has dropped that much and the well was pumping off.

I was at the ranch today and walking through the pasture pounded like I was walking on egg shells. There was no green grass and the brush is dying and drying up.

There's no guajillo or forbs. I don't know what the deer are eating but from the looks of the road they must have thought I left something for them. The road was cut up with tracks. Saw about a thousand rabbits. Gonna be some fat coyotes this year.

Saw the first covey of quail I've seen in several years. Too bad they'll al die from lack of water.

The forecast does give us a 10% chance of rain tomorrow. Forgive me if I don't break out my slicker suit tonight.

Alan

Last edited by Alan_R_McDaniel_Jr; 08/24/14.

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I had not considered the water demands of today.

But I have not seen us look anywhere close to the dust bowl pictures that are around, in the 20s? or 50s? I forget which if not both.

We've been dry. 2011 was a killer. But this year has been liveable by far water wise.

Given that LCRA is stupid enough to cut off rice farmers but sell lake water at a flat 100 something dollars to water green grass in the Austin area, you folks may be right, it may never be the same.

That being said it seems history says it takes an extended drought, to lower lake levels/water tables.

And it takes a stalled storm of some kind one year to fill everything very full if not overflowing.

Generally speaking we'll see one sooner or later. Form of a hurricane or storm or depression. Really doesn't matter. We have to deal with em.

The problem is there aren't any the last years. And if you do get one it has to hit the coast just right, to stall above austin in the right area to get above the lakes and fill and get run off.

Heard a friend say the hill country was a desert.

Since some stupid lawsuits lately, everyone we know in our hunting area is kicked off the land from Feb 1 to Oct 1. I have a big feeder that will feed that long and a big protein feeder, but it damn sure sucks to take my money and not let me manage and help..... [bleep]... but I digress.

It will rain again. Our back 3 plus acre tank overflowed this spring, that hasn't happened since 2010. So there is always hope....

and saw a thunderhead try to develop this evening.

But damn its hot and dry. 90 degrees at almost 9pm... thankfully only going on week 3 of that crap.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My place in Erath Co. is bad. I say this drought started about "93. Some say we had 3-4 good years in there, but I say it's just one long drought.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

486 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 51 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,319
Posts18,505,775
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.