Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NeBassman
Originally Posted by pahick

There was some ad related malware regarding fake Java updates a week or two ago that Rick nuked. Even with Chrome and ad block plus this fake Java update still managed to get on my work computer, Malwarebytes got rid of it. Other than that little glitch I haven't had any issues here.

Missed that one. Was there a thread on it?

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9105379/1

and here

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...530/Re_Is_this_site_infected#Post9103530

HA! If ya'll got hit with that, than you need to learn a little more about protection.

Best thing most of you could do is install Spywareblaster. Thatll stop these little schits on the spot. Install, update, and enable all protection. It blocks holes these things get into. Doesnt run in the back ground and will not slow your PC. Just remember to update once a month or so(they recommend once a week but I dont).

Install Chrome, and the Adblock extension. Turn off popups. And never click on anything that says you need to update it without checking into it first.

My list..
Spywareblaster
Malwarebytes
Microsoft Security Essentials
Chrome
Adblock
Ghostery(not needed)

Never a problem. Ever. You guys on work computers, tell IT to fffuck off. Your screwed.

Last edited by pahick; 08/26/14.
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
And never click on anything that says you need to update it without checking into it first.

Sound advice, I refused to click on the "java update" and it would not let me close it down, a sure sign of malware or virus if you can't opt out of it. I ended up restarting my computer then ran Malwarbytes which got rid of it. Other than that I have not had a single problem viewing the 24 hour campfire forums.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted By: pahick
The problems ARE real. And they are NOT on your end. But the FIX is. And I dont give 2 schits what any of dipschit says, firefox sucks ass. Wanna get rid of RICKS problems? Install Chrome and Adblock. If you wanna listen to the resident "guru's" and their firefox ffukcfest, have at it but quit complaining. The problems on THIS site are not your problem, but failure to go around it, quite easily, is.

That's always the standard answer.
I have both of those, and this site STILL has more problems than any other I frequent.

If it didn't truly suck, there wouldn't be so many of these threads

But it's plain that the problems won't be addressed any more than the flagrant "rules" violations are, as long as the hits to the site keep on coming

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Restarting works, but best bet, if you know how, is open task manager and look at processes. Kill the process, most likely more than one, then reboot to safe mode, again if you know how, then run either Malwarebytes or your antivirus program. Then reboot again in regular mode. Using task manager gets all processes that may have been installed or in memory before the main malware hits.

But dealing with things after the fact isnt the way to look at it, stop it before it even gets a chance to start. And easiest way is Spywareblaster, A good adblock browser addon(which still sucks on IE). Most can do more through their router if they have one but gets very complicated for most.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Snyper

That's always the standard answer.
I have both of those, and this site STILL has more problems than any other I frequent.

If it didn't truly suck, there wouldn't be so many of these threads

But it's plain that the problems won't be addressed any more than the flagrant "rules" violations are, as long as the hits to the site keep on coming

Thats the standard, because its the right answer. If youre still having problems, either youre system is not up to date, or youre running built in system setting pretty loose. WHich is why I tell EVERYONE to go above and beyond and install spywareblaster, or learn more about your PC. Theres plenty of sites out there to help be a little more secure without the need to lock it down like Fort Knox.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
95%+ of all computer 'problems' originate between the keyboard and the chair. Such issues can easily be alleviated should you care to take the appropriate effort, largely beginning with education.

So start educating us........Firfox, all updates, adblocker, Avast, everything up to date and this is the only site that affects my computers. Explain away.

Have you run Malwarebytes?

There was some ad related malware regarding fake Java updates a week or two ago that Rick nuked. Even with Chrome and ad block plus this fake Java update still managed to get on my work computer, Malwarebytes got rid of it. Other than that little glitch I haven't had any issues here.

Yes, I run MWbytes on my laptop, and Windows PC's at work. Still have frequent problems. I would also respectfully disagree that the problem is with Firefox, as this is the only site that give any of my computers any problems at all.

BTW, my Mac at home performs flawlessly.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I run Firefox, Ad Blocker, and have an outfit called PC Care Support that does a cleaning on my 'puter every three months.
Costs about $12 per month and seems well worth it.
Never have problems.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
As anyone could learn if he'd read any of the other bazillion threads on this topic, most of the people having trouble with this site are stubbornly using Internet Exploder and/or aren't using a good ad blocker. The other category of complainers are trying to use a smart phone instead of a real computer.

Read Rock Chuck's post for the solution.

Using Fire Fox with addblocker eliminates a great deal of the difficulty, but not the occasional page turning slowness here, the delayed typing, frequent crashing, etc..

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I use to log into & post on 24hr daily, but not as much due to the site issues here. Early 2014 I had 2 friends join 24hr and there pm box indicator is still flashing... they don't have any messages either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
but not the occasional page turning slowness here, the delayed typing, frequent crashing, etc..

I run Firefox and ad-blocker and at the first sign of slowness, I minimize the screen and go to my computer and delete cookies. You will be surprised at how good this simple task works on your problems. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Chrome + AdBlock on my 8 year old well abused laptop and zero issues. Nothing on my Korean issued Samsung 4G phone and no issues. What am I doing right?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Again...why is this the only site in the world that has these problems? Oh, I forgot, there is no problem as long as you install 10 different programs, call Bill Gates at home, and pray.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you run Firefox you will want to look at NoScript

About all the problems with this site are caused by scripts which amount to little programs that are run by your browser. Adblock Plus catches most of it but since it's targeting ads it doesn't get everything.

NoScript does not let any script, Java, Javascript or otherwise run without your permission. Including Flash.

It can be a bit annoying at first with everything including videos blocked but once you grant permanent permission for known safe sites you frequent it's well worth an occasional extra click to see something.

I have both Adblock Plus and NoScript running so I can't tell you specifically which is doing what, don't care. I have no script problems here or anywhere else.

---------------------

And set your browser so it asks if you want to accept cookies from a site. Mostly I say no but you need some for shopping carts, log ins, etc.

Last edited by nighthawk; 08/26/14.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Chrome & Microsoft Security Essentials. Still have intermittent slow loading, screen freezing, Shockwave failures. Actually the Shockwave issues are fairly frequent. Now and then the whole site freezes on me while my other open windows work fine. None of this happens on other sites. All that being said I've no doubt Rick is trying to keep 24hcf running slick as possible. Ease of use generates hits generate ad time generates revenue. And he doesn't charge me to be here.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Again...why is this the only site in the world that has these problems?

It isnt, which is why, in part, these other programs were created in the first place.

Originally Posted by nighthawk
If you run Firefox you will want to look at NoScript

About all the problems with this site are caused by scripts which amount to little programs that are run by your browser. Adblock Plus catches most of it but since it's targeting ads it doesn't get everything.

NoScript does not let any script, Java, Javascript or otherwise run without your permission. Including Flash.

It can be a bit annoying at first with everything including videos blocked but once you grant permanent permission for known safe sites you frequent it's well worth an occasional extra click to see something.

I have both Adblock Plus and NoScript running so I can't tell you specifically which is doing what, don't care. I have no script problems here or anywhere else.

You could do that(and still be vulnerable through firefox itself) and be left scratching your head on other sites why you have to "unblock" noscript to let certain vital information through. Same happens with Ghostery with Chrome, hiding certain features that are hidden because the addon goes too far, for normal browsing.

People are making this way harder than it needs to be to circumvent poorly coded ads, an owner who chooses to constantly fiddle for ad revenue, by using an inferior browser.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Again...why is this the only site in the world that has these problems? Oh, I forgot, there is no problem as long as you install 10 different programs, call Bill Gates at home, and pray.

Because Rick needs ad revenue from where he can get it to make this site viable and doesn't have an IT staff to constantly review every ad for problems. You will note he does what he can.

(Dated reference - "What do ya want for free, rubber biscuit?")

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=Snyper]
Thats the standard, because its the right answer. If youre still having problems, either youre system is not up to date, or youre running built in system setting pretty loose. WHich is why I tell EVERYONE to go above and beyond and install spywareblaster, or learn more about your PC. Theres plenty of sites out there to help be a little more secure without the need to lock it down like Fort Knox.

You can keep repeating all that, and it won't change the fact that this site has more problems than most others, no matter what you're running.
You can make excuses, but it doesn't change the number of complaints that have been ongoing for a LONG time with no improvement

If it was just "our systems" the problems would show up everywhere, not just here

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Snyper

You can keep repeating all that, and it won't change the fact that this site has more problems than most others, no matter what you're running.
You can make excuses, but it doesn't change the number of complaints that have been ongoing for a LONG time with no improvement

If it was just "our systems" the problems would show up everywhere, not just here

What part of ITS NOT YOUR PROBLEM dont you understand. EVERYONE knows its on Ricks end. The complaining you, and everyone else does, IS your problem, because the fix is well known and youre either too foolish to do it, or not knowledgeable enough to understand it. As you alluded to, the problem isnt going away, and I can guarantee, will not in the near future. Why out yourself through this horseschit when you dont have to? Either way, the ad services are loosing money, youre doing Rick no favors by sticking by him while he figures things out. And youre doing no favors on our end by complaining about easily fixed schit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You could do that(and still be vulnerable through firefox itself)

Different issue. Your exposure via Firefox is viruses and you should have an anti-virus program running always.

I grant sites permanent permission to run scripts where I trust the site. New sites get temporary allow the specific site which generally gives me what I want or temporary allow all. Sometimes it's a minor pain in the ass when I "temporarily allow all" and a newly allowed script wants to load another script and I have to temporarily allow all" again, etc. Small price to pay.

You will note that all browsers will either allow everything, allow some things, or allow nothing. The ad-ons let you decide on an individual basis.

How much would you pay Rick, or any other free non-commercial site for that matter, to forgo ads so you can save a mouse click or two?

(Yes, I am in a grouchy mood today.)

Last edited by nighthawk; 08/26/14.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nighthawk

Different issue. Your exposure via Firefox is viruses and you should have an anti-virus program running always.

Not a different issue. Again, firefox is poorly coded and fared much worse than Chrome. They both have code issues that allow the simplest spyware/malware through. Which is why you need a program such as Spywareblaster that blocks these issues before they get through, which Malwarebytes itself doesnt do, it catches the AS they go through and quarantines or deletes(up to the user).

I grant sites permanent permission to run scripts where I trust the site. New sites get temporary allow the specific site which generally gives me what I want or temporary allow all. Sometimes it's a minor pain in the ass when I "temporarily allow all" and a newly allowed script wants to load another script and I have to temporarily allow all" again, etc. Small price to pay.

And I use Ghostery on Chrome. The ordinary Joe doesnt want to dick with it. He just wants to surf safely. Neither Noscript or Ghostery allow unimpeded surfing. It takes effort.

You will note that all browsers will either allow everything, allow some things, or allow nothing. The ad-ons let you decide on an individual basis.

Right, to a certain extent. Some(Chrome) spends much more money to make sure their browser is secure as possible. Contests where hackers, not paid professionals, can win huge sums of money if they find holes. Who consistently comes out on top? Sure as hell isnt firefox.

How much would you pay Rick, or any other free non-commercial site for that matter, to forgo ads so you can save a mouse click or two?

(Yes, I am in a grouchy mood today.)

I wouldnt pay a dime, to surf any site. Sorry, but my world doesnt revolve around Rick, or the internet whatsoever.

Last edited by pahick; 08/26/14.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 50 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,922
Posts18,518,836
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.