Home
everytime I log on here my computer starts flashing wierd stuff at the bottom. my mouse gets glitchy, sometimes the whole site freezes up. I don't know if its all the advertising on the sides or what. rick bin, dude fix the site.
Ditto's, the only website that gives chrome grief.

I also can't log on with my iphone. When I click the box to type in my logon the keyboard shows up for a split second then disapears before I can type a single letter.
95%+ of all computer 'problems' originate between the keyboard and the chair. Such issues can easily be alleviated should you care to take the appropriate effort, largely beginning with education.
Midway's site is the only one I've seen that tries to reject our computers.....unless you're quick enough to grab one of their links before they vanish in a split second.
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
95%+ of all computer 'problems' originate between the keyboard and the chair. Such issues can easily be alleviated should you care to take the appropriate effort, largely beginning with education.

Yeah, pretty much the case.
For the last week or two when I bring up the Campfire, within a minute my computer starts telling me "Internet Explorer has stopped working."

This happens even at 4 or 5 a.m. when traffic is light. (I'm old, I wake early).

Sometimes after about 20 minutes the problem seems to go away. At times I don't hang around long enough to find out. I just go to another forum site.

Have no idea what is causing this.

Jim
Between Firefox and Adblocker, I never have any of the problems that guys here seem to have. It just runs smoothly almost all the time.

what if you visit lots of sites and this is the only one that gives such issues??
My phone, Google Chrome, and Explorer all give me red alerts when I come to this site. That is assuming the site actually works at that time. Half the time the site just goes blank. Doesn't take an "education" to realize all the pop up ads are causing the havoc.
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

what if you visit lots of sites and this is the only one that gives such issues??

Doesn't matter. You're still ignorant, as am I, apparently.

True, but when everyone is having similar issues with only one duck, it's probably THAT duck.
As anyone could learn if he'd read any of the other bazillion threads on this topic, most of the people having trouble with this site are stubbornly using Internet Exploder and/or aren't using a good ad blocker. The other category of complainers are trying to use a smart phone instead of a real computer.

Read Rock Chuck's post for the solution.

I also have a few problems with this site. I am on Firefox and do not have any pop-ups, but while using this and only this forum, I have troubles with it loading too slowly. Right now for example I am having to wait for it to load for each letter I type. Sometimes I have to wait for it to start loading again before I can go from page to page. I was just assuming it was just a problem with my computer and this is an extremely busy place most of the time. But, this is the only forum that I have this problem with.
Of course as soon as I start complaining it is working fine!! confused
Anyway, I still hang out here more than anywhere else!!

Ken

Everybody is under the impression that Ad-blocker stops everything.... and it doesn't. Hopefully your suite of virus protection and all does...

But if you don't go into your system and stop saving cookies and history, passwords and all that other good stuff that comes back to bite you in the ass.

Then its still there.

Phil
I'm on a TON of sites. All over the net and in some fairly dark holes from time to time.

I've never experienced a repeated problem with a site that I can remember. Any site, anywhere. Sure some sites go weird once but not repeatedly.

Chrome and AdBlock.

Back button ALWAYS works, I see all the pictures and all the videos too.

I've pretty much just given up on using my back button at this site because it takes multiple clicks in rapid sucession before it will eventualy work. It hasn't happen at any other website I go to. When I right click on the back button a drop down log shows a hit for [http://us-ads.openx.net/w/1.0/afr?auid=] for each time I left clicked on it. Is this somebody's way of trying to run up a bunch of extra hits on their ads?

PS; I do use AdBlock Plus and have for a good many months now.
I use Chrome and it still doesn't work right. And if you need "ad-block" then clearly the ads are what are causing the problems!
Cummingscowboy: I have no problems here - maybe you need to upgrade your computer?
Or if you know the name of the problem you are experiencing (spyware?) then you should be able to investigate and eradicate said issue.
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I've explained here many times that when I'm on during the day it's between tasks at work, on my work computer. I don't have the luxury or permission to download and add a bunch of adblocking whatsits to this computer.

When viewing here, I use either Chrome, which will not display videos that people post, or Firefox, which locks up about 6 times an hour. If I view on my Droid, I have to run Cleanmaster and do a junk clean-up every little while because of all the ads present here.
SRWare Iron

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

Built in ad blocker. No reporting up to Google. Runs sweet here.
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
SRWare Iron

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

Built in ad blocker. No reporting up to Google. Runs sweet here.

So, when our IT guy comes and screws with my computer SRware won't show up?
None of our suggestions are applicable for a work computer. (Except that maybe to suggest your employer would rather have you actually working than visiting sites like this, huh?)
It is just another browser, but with a smaller foot print and a on board ad blocker. If your IT guy screws with your personal settings on your system you need a new IT guy. He should be making these recommendations to you.

I am typing this from a work computer, but I am my own IT guy.
If your not the owner of the business (which of course would give you such access) what in hell are you doing visiting this site when supposed to be working? And on company equipment? grin

Phil
Quit playing kids games....and get a Mac!!
I run on both IE and MSN and have Ad Fender and I have the usual problems others experience on both and this is the only site that I have the problems on.

The problems mentioned so far I encounter, but not continuously.

There was a problem a few weeks ago where everyone was experiencing a no load problem.

Everyone complained and the usual posters came out with the same stories of why others computers would not work. Surpise, Rick did an upgrade and all the problems went away. This happens about twice a year.

It's a free site, so I guess we can't complain,but I think the original set up was flawed to begin with
I use fire fox, the problems are not pop ups. the problems are REAL quit saying they are not.
New computer is on my to do list in the next coming year! And yes I'm tired of Windows!!!!!

Phil
The problems ARE real. And they are NOT on your end. But the FIX is. And I dont give 2 schits what any of dipschit says, firefox sucks ass. Wanna get rid of RICKS problems? Install Chrome and Adblock. If you wanna listen to the resident "guru's" and their firefox ffukcfest, have at it but quit complaining. The problems on THIS site are not your problem, but failure to go around it, quite easily, is.

So start educating us........Firfox, all updates, adblocker, Avast, everything up to date and this is the only site that affects my computers. Explain away.
Originally Posted by pahick
The problems ARE real. And they are NOT on your end. But the FIX is. And I dont give 2 schits what any of dipschit says, firefox sucks ass. Wanna get rid of RICKS problems? Install Chrome and Adblock. If you wanna listen to the resident "guru's" and their firefox ffukcfest, have at it but quit complaining. The problems on THIS site are not your problem, but failure to go around it, quite easily, is.

Yup
I respectfully disagree with you, pahick. Nothing wrong with Firefox at all. There are folks who have trouble with it, just as there are some who have trouble with Chrome. All I can say is that I've used FF on at least six different machines, by different makers, and have never had a problem viewing this site (except when the site itself was down, of course.)

I could add that there are folks who have trouble running a hammer, but that would be unkind.
Taken all is up to date in an individuals PC, If someone has Adblock installed on Chrome, they will not have a problem. If they have Adblock installed in Firefox, they can still have a problem. Firefox is very inefficient in how it interprets code. And im not about to get in a pissing match like I almost did with another. That you dont have issues doesnt change the fact that Firefox has trouble with the code, not only on this site, but others. Its a joke. I stopped doing FF extensions because of that fact.

If they dont have Adblock installed, it all goes out the door. Both Chrome and Firefox are different than IE in most all ways, but without Adblock, they suffer 75% of the problems IE will. On THIS site.

As far as I have seen, theres not been one instance of malware, or virus's on this site. All false positives due to Ricks choice with ad revenue. Nothing any of us can do about it, but go around it.

Originally Posted by JGRaider

So start educating us........Firfox, all updates, adblocker, Avast, everything up to date and this is the only site that affects my computers. Explain away.

Have you run Malwarebytes?

There was some ad related malware regarding fake Java updates a week or two ago that Rick nuked. Even with Chrome and ad block plus this fake Java update still managed to get on my work computer, Malwarebytes got rid of it. Other than that little glitch I haven't had any issues here.
Originally Posted by NeBassman

There was some ad related malware regarding fake Java updates a week or two ago that Rick nuked. Even with Chrome and ad block plus this fake Java update still managed to get on my work computer, Malwarebytes got rid of it. Other than that little glitch I haven't had any issues here.

Missed that one. Was there a thread on it?
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Between Firefox and Adblocker, I never have any of the problems that guys here seem to have. It just runs smoothly almost all the time.

Ya tell em and ya tell em....

You can bring a horse to water but yada yada yada........
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

ALMOST all the time is the problem.

Why should anyone have to go around the problem if it only happens on this site and no others?
Rick I doubt very seriously, has anything to do with what his paying advertisers install into there paid for space on his servers (except for some guide-lines) until after the fact when problems are discovered. No Problem with his servers, no problem at all! That does not mean that his advertisers are not installing anything and everything to track your every move!

Phil

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9105379/1

and here

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...530/Re_Is_this_site_infected#Post9103530

Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

ALMOST all the time is the problem.

Why should anyone have to go around the problem if it only happens on this site and no others?

Okay Saddlesore, I'll go so far as say...

I've Never had a Single problem from this site running Firefox, Adblocker and occasionally Malwarebytes.

Those 3 programs take care of any issues I've ever had..

Until I have a problem like some of the others seem to have, I've got no reason to change my setup...

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9105379/1

and here

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...530/Re_Is_this_site_infected#Post9103530

HA! If ya'll got hit with that, than you need to learn a little more about protection.

Best thing most of you could do is install Spywareblaster. Thatll stop these little schits on the spot. Install, update, and enable all protection. It blocks holes these things get into. Doesnt run in the back ground and will not slow your PC. Just remember to update once a month or so(they recommend once a week but I dont).

Install Chrome, and the Adblock extension. Turn off popups. And never click on anything that says you need to update it without checking into it first.

My list..
Spywareblaster
Malwarebytes
Microsoft Security Essentials
Chrome
Adblock
Ghostery(not needed)

Never a problem. Ever. You guys on work computers, tell IT to fffuck off. Your screwed.
And never click on anything that says you need to update it without checking into it first.

Sound advice, I refused to click on the "java update" and it would not let me close it down, a sure sign of malware or virus if you can't opt out of it. I ended up restarting my computer then ran Malwarbytes which got rid of it. Other than that I have not had a single problem viewing the 24 hour campfire forums.
Originally Posted By: pahick

That's always the standard answer.
I have both of those, and this site STILL has more problems than any other I frequent.

If it didn't truly suck, there wouldn't be so many of these threads

But it's plain that the problems won't be addressed any more than the flagrant "rules" violations are, as long as the hits to the site keep on coming
Restarting works, but best bet, if you know how, is open task manager and look at processes. Kill the process, most likely more than one, then reboot to safe mode, again if you know how, then run either Malwarebytes or your antivirus program. Then reboot again in regular mode. Using task manager gets all processes that may have been installed or in memory before the main malware hits.

But dealing with things after the fact isnt the way to look at it, stop it before it even gets a chance to start. And easiest way is Spywareblaster, A good adblock browser addon(which still sucks on IE). Most can do more through their router if they have one but gets very complicated for most.
Originally Posted by Snyper

That's always the standard answer.
I have both of those, and this site STILL has more problems than any other I frequent.

If it didn't truly suck, there wouldn't be so many of these threads

But it's plain that the problems won't be addressed any more than the flagrant "rules" violations are, as long as the hits to the site keep on coming

Thats the standard, because its the right answer. If youre still having problems, either youre system is not up to date, or youre running built in system setting pretty loose. WHich is why I tell EVERYONE to go above and beyond and install spywareblaster, or learn more about your PC. Theres plenty of sites out there to help be a little more secure without the need to lock it down like Fort Knox.

Have you run Malwarebytes?

Yes, I run MWbytes on my laptop, and Windows PC's at work. Still have frequent problems. I would also respectfully disagree that the problem is with Firefox, as this is the only site that give any of my computers any problems at all.

BTW, my Mac at home performs flawlessly.
I run Firefox, Ad Blocker, and have an outfit called PC Care Support that does a cleaning on my 'puter every three months.
Costs about $12 per month and seems well worth it.
Never have problems.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
As anyone could learn if he'd read any of the other bazillion threads on this topic, most of the people having trouble with this site are stubbornly using Internet Exploder and/or aren't using a good ad blocker. The other category of complainers are trying to use a smart phone instead of a real computer.

Using Fire Fox with addblocker eliminates a great deal of the difficulty, but not the occasional page turning slowness here, the delayed typing, frequent crashing, etc..
I use to log into & post on 24hr daily, but not as much due to the site issues here. Early 2014 I had 2 friends join 24hr and there pm box indicator is still flashing... they don't have any messages either.

but not the occasional page turning slowness here, the delayed typing, frequent crashing, etc..

I run Firefox and ad-blocker and at the first sign of slowness, I minimize the screen and go to my computer and delete cookies. You will be surprised at how good this simple task works on your problems. miles
Chrome + AdBlock on my 8 year old well abused laptop and zero issues. Nothing on my Korean issued Samsung 4G phone and no issues. What am I doing right?
Again...why is this the only site in the world that has these problems? Oh, I forgot, there is no problem as long as you install 10 different programs, call Bill Gates at home, and pray.
If you run Firefox you will want to look at NoScript

About all the problems with this site are caused by scripts which amount to little programs that are run by your browser. Adblock Plus catches most of it but since it's targeting ads it doesn't get everything.

NoScript does not let any script, Java, Javascript or otherwise run without your permission. Including Flash.

It can be a bit annoying at first with everything including videos blocked but once you grant permanent permission for known safe sites you frequent it's well worth an occasional extra click to see something.

I have both Adblock Plus and NoScript running so I can't tell you specifically which is doing what, don't care. I have no script problems here or anywhere else.

---------------------

And set your browser so it asks if you want to accept cookies from a site. Mostly I say no but you need some for shopping carts, log ins, etc.
Chrome & Microsoft Security Essentials. Still have intermittent slow loading, screen freezing, Shockwave failures. Actually the Shockwave issues are fairly frequent. Now and then the whole site freezes on me while my other open windows work fine. None of this happens on other sites. All that being said I've no doubt Rick is trying to keep 24hcf running slick as possible. Ease of use generates hits generate ad time generates revenue. And he doesn't charge me to be here.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Again...why is this the only site in the world that has these problems?

It isnt, which is why, in part, these other programs were created in the first place.

Originally Posted by nighthawk
If you run Firefox you will want to look at NoScript

About all the problems with this site are caused by scripts which amount to little programs that are run by your browser. Adblock Plus catches most of it but since it's targeting ads it doesn't get everything.

NoScript does not let any script, Java, Javascript or otherwise run without your permission. Including Flash.

It can be a bit annoying at first with everything including videos blocked but once you grant permanent permission for known safe sites you frequent it's well worth an occasional extra click to see something.

I have both Adblock Plus and NoScript running so I can't tell you specifically which is doing what, don't care. I have no script problems here or anywhere else.

You could do that(and still be vulnerable through firefox itself) and be left scratching your head on other sites why you have to "unblock" noscript to let certain vital information through. Same happens with Ghostery with Chrome, hiding certain features that are hidden because the addon goes too far, for normal browsing.

People are making this way harder than it needs to be to circumvent poorly coded ads, an owner who chooses to constantly fiddle for ad revenue, by using an inferior browser.
Again...why is this the only site in the world that has these problems? Oh, I forgot, there is no problem as long as you install 10 different programs, call Bill Gates at home, and pray.

Because Rick needs ad revenue from where he can get it to make this site viable and doesn't have an IT staff to constantly review every ad for problems. You will note he does what he can.

(Dated reference - "What do ya want for free, rubber biscuit?")
[quote=Snyper]
Thats the standard, because its the right answer. If youre still having problems, either youre system is not up to date, or youre running built in system setting pretty loose. WHich is why I tell EVERYONE to go above and beyond and install spywareblaster, or learn more about your PC. Theres plenty of sites out there to help be a little more secure without the need to lock it down like Fort Knox.

You can keep repeating all that, and it won't change the fact that this site has more problems than most others, no matter what you're running.
You can make excuses, but it doesn't change the number of complaints that have been ongoing for a LONG time with no improvement

If it was just "our systems" the problems would show up everywhere, not just here

You can keep repeating all that, and it won't change the fact that this site has more problems than most others, no matter what you're running.
You can make excuses, but it doesn't change the number of complaints that have been ongoing for a LONG time with no improvement

If it was just "our systems" the problems would show up everywhere, not just here

What part of ITS NOT YOUR PROBLEM dont you understand. EVERYONE knows its on Ricks end. The complaining you, and everyone else does, IS your problem, because the fix is well known and youre either too foolish to do it, or not knowledgeable enough to understand it. As you alluded to, the problem isnt going away, and I can guarantee, will not in the near future. Why out yourself through this horseschit when you dont have to? Either way, the ad services are loosing money, youre doing Rick no favors by sticking by him while he figures things out. And youre doing no favors on our end by complaining about easily fixed schit.

You could do that(and still be vulnerable through firefox itself)

Different issue. Your exposure via Firefox is viruses and you should have an anti-virus program running always.

I grant sites permanent permission to run scripts where I trust the site. New sites get temporary allow the specific site which generally gives me what I want or temporary allow all. Sometimes it's a minor pain in the ass when I "temporarily allow all" and a newly allowed script wants to load another script and I have to temporarily allow all" again, etc. Small price to pay.

You will note that all browsers will either allow everything, allow some things, or allow nothing. The ad-ons let you decide on an individual basis.

How much would you pay Rick, or any other free non-commercial site for that matter, to forgo ads so you can save a mouse click or two?

(Yes, I am in a grouchy mood today.)
Originally Posted by nighthawk

Different issue. Your exposure via Firefox is viruses and you should have an anti-virus program running always.

Not a different issue. Again, firefox is poorly coded and fared much worse than Chrome. They both have code issues that allow the simplest spyware/malware through. Which is why you need a program such as Spywareblaster that blocks these issues before they get through, which Malwarebytes itself doesnt do, it catches the AS they go through and quarantines or deletes(up to the user).

I grant sites permanent permission to run scripts where I trust the site. New sites get temporary allow the specific site which generally gives me what I want or temporary allow all. Sometimes it's a minor pain in the ass when I "temporarily allow all" and a newly allowed script wants to load another script and I have to temporarily allow all" again, etc. Small price to pay.

And I use Ghostery on Chrome. The ordinary Joe doesnt want to dick with it. He just wants to surf safely. Neither Noscript or Ghostery allow unimpeded surfing. It takes effort.

You will note that all browsers will either allow everything, allow some things, or allow nothing. The ad-ons let you decide on an individual basis.

Right, to a certain extent. Some(Chrome) spends much more money to make sure their browser is secure as possible. Contests where hackers, not paid professionals, can win huge sums of money if they find holes. Who consistently comes out on top? Sure as hell isnt firefox.

How much would you pay Rick, or any other free non-commercial site for that matter, to forgo ads so you can save a mouse click or two?

(Yes, I am in a grouchy mood today.)

I wouldnt pay a dime, to surf any site. Sorry, but my world doesnt revolve around Rick, or the internet whatsoever.
To summarize one final time, I have no problems whatsoever on any website whatever, including this one. No ads, no popups, no malware, back and forward buttons work perfectly, one second or less page loads, videos run flawlessly, no freezes, no error messages.

Cable/wireless isp
Two-year-old desktop
Windows 7
MS Security Essentials
Firefox 31.0
Ad-Block Plus
Avast (free)
Malwarebytes (free)

I'm not an IT guy, and I have not messed with any program settings or done anything except download and install the last four programs on that list. If there are problems with this website or with Firefox, I have no evidence to support it.
In the business world we call then ID 10 T errors.
This is the only site I have problems with. My "Back button" not working is a real PIA. Rick, I think you need a total rebuild of this site. YMMV.
Im not an IT guy either. But it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see why this site has problems.....

http://www.webpagetest.org/performance_optimization.php?test=140826_D2_1177&run=1&cached=0
Sorry, but my world doesnt revolve around Rick, or the internet whatsoever.

And yet here you are. miles
Originally Posted by milespatton
Sorry, but my world doesnt revolve around Rick, or the internet whatsoever.

And yet here you are. miles

With a helluva lot less posts than you, or most that even started when/after I did. And im not even working right now.

With a helluva lot less posts than you, or most that even started when/after I did.

Not my fault when a person has nothing useful to say. miles
I'm not saying others aren't having problems but honestly, how many?

10 or even 100 guys. There are over 50,000 subscribers here. What's the math on that?

All I know is this.

1. I've NEVER had an issue in the 11 years I've been here. I've been here on a Kindle, iPhone, Blackberry and no less than 8 different laptops/desktop systems and on numerous ISPs.

2. Complaining about a FREE site that might require you to run FREE software to make YOUR particular experience ok seems like a bit childish.

I feel bad that others are having issues but Chrome + Adblock works for the vast majority of users. The fix is there if you want to participate. If you don't - stop crying already. I realize some can't due to work computer restrictions but I'd seriously be concerned about a company still using IE to provide internet browsing.

Pro tip - Adblock also prevents those annoying "wait 5 seconds to skip this ad" ads on youtube. It's a damned useful FREE (yes [bleep] FREE quit bitching) extension you can use.
Originally Posted by milespatton

Not my fault when a person has nothing useful to say. miles

I dont find it useful to sit on a computer for 3 days bitching about Stick, Jeff'O, Safariman, any of the TN dumbffucks, etc...
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Nah Rocky,

You're wrong on this issue.

I use firefox, and adblock+. I do not see ads or flashing lights on my screen, but this site is likely THE slowest responding site on the internet today...

Peak times are worse, but it happens even in off peak hours, from time to time...
Rocky you mind if i borrow that last line?
I spit some soda when i read that. grin
I dont find it useful to sit on a computer for 3 days bitching about Stick, Jeff'O, Safariman, any of the TN dumbffucks, etc...

Seems as if you follow it all even when you don't have an opinion that you wish to share. miles
Originally Posted by teal
Chrome and AdBlock

This plus FlashBlock....never a single problem. Never any issues with this site on my smartphone either.....running Boat Browser and Lookout.
I have FireFox and AdBlock. Have not had a problem in years until several weeks ago. Now, at times I am unable to move about within the site, like I have been disconnected..from the site but not the internet as I can go to other sites with no problem. It seems that by leaving and coming back 15 or 20 mins later, I can log back on and navigate the site OK.
Firefox crashed while reading the thread. I did a Malware scan which showed no problems, but everything is running much faster after the scan. The problem is off and on for me.

I only use free sights, have all the right stuff on my computer and still have issues here on rare occasions. Nothing anywhere else.
OK KNOW IT ALLS WHY DO WE HAVE TO RUN SOME SPECIAL BROWSER AND SOME SPECIAL SPYWARE APP?!?!?!? WHY CAN'T THE SITE BE COMPATIBLE WITH ALL BROWSERS?? ONCE AGAIN I SAID THE SITE HAS SPYWARE YOU COMPUTER WIZZ'S CAN'T EVEN ARGUE THIS. I think it was this site that forced me to install malwarebytes. It would like my machine up, my whole freaking machine!!!

if the website is running right there should be no reason to run a special browser with pop up blockers and all the other bull$hit. I will say again the site needs to be fixed.
OK KNOW IT ALLS WHY DO WE HAVE TO RUN SOME SPECIAL BROWSER AND SOME SPECIAL SPYWARE APP?!?!?!? WHY CAN'T THE SITE BE COMPATIBLE WITH ALL BROWSERS?? ONCE AGAIN I SAID THE SITE HAS SPYWARE YOU COMPUTER WIZZ'S CAN'T EVEN ARGUE THIS. I think it was this site that forced me to install malwarebytes. It would like my machine up, my whole freaking machine!!!

if the website is running right there should be no reason to run a special browser with pop up blockers and all the other bull$hit. I will say again the site needs to be fixed.

Jeez, maybe time for a little break from the place............

AdBlockPlus is the greatest thing since sliced bread IMO.
And youre doing no favors on our end by complaining about easily fixed schit.

If it were truly "easily fixed" there wouldn't be so many complaints when most have tried the recommended patches with few lasting results.

There's no logical reason this site should be so troublesome when most others are not

NO SCHIT SHERLOCK!

http://www.webpagetest.org/performance_optimization.php?test=140827_KN_1EM&run=1&cached=0

Just scroll down casue I doubt you know wtf youre looking at anyhow. You see all those FAILED? Thats happening on everyones system. You know why, because the servers SUCK!

But if you cant read ill explain in part. See this pic, thats how many requests from the Campfire. 15.1%....of ALL the requests made.

[Linked Image]

This second shot.....that is your biggest offender....during THIS test. ap.lijit.com...who are they? dont give a ffffuk. theyre hogging rescources, during THIS test.

[Linked Image]

Numerous DNS lookups over 3000ms, a couple well over 5000.

The Campfire itself is running pretty good. THE AD SERVERS SUCK!

You think its gonna change? You think you whining about it is gonna make a ffffuck? If YOUR TV goes all snowy, do you sit there and bawl like a little bitch about it, OR DO YOU CHANGE THE CHANNEL? If you change the channel, then DOWNLOAD OTHER SOFTWARE AND STFU!
It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.

Hmm, highly suspect.

Hmm, highly suspect indeed.

Finally, an enlightened one. Siddhartha, is that you?
Originally Posted by teal
I'm not saying others aren't having problems but honestly, how many?

10 or even 100 guys. There are over 50,000 subscribers here. What's the math on that?

All I know is this.

1. I've NEVER had an issue in the 11 years I've been here. I've been here on a Kindle, iPhone, Blackberry and no less than 8 different laptops/desktop systems and on numerous ISPs.

2. Complaining about a FREE site that might require you to run FREE software to make YOUR particular experience ok seems like a bit childish.

I feel bad that others are having issues but Chrome + Adblock works for the vast majority of users. The fix is there if you want to participate. If you don't - stop crying already. I realize some can't due to work computer restrictions but I'd seriously be concerned about a company still using IE to provide internet browsing.

Pro tip - Adblock also prevents those annoying "wait 5 seconds to skip this ad" ads on youtube. It's a damned useful FREE (yes [bleep] FREE quit bitching) extension you can use.

Look to your ISP, your physical PC (performance), your PC (configuration). Gut tells me ISP.
Originally Posted by johnw

Nah Rocky,

You're wrong on this issue.

I use firefox, and adblock+. I do not see ads or flashing lights on my screen, but this site is likely THE slowest responding site on the internet today...

Peak times are worse, but it happens even in off peak hours, from time to time...

It's all about the Benjamins. For those unencumbered with frugality, multiple versions of a website can be coded for specific browsers, and even platforms. However given the functional requirements of this site, it would be rather costly. Lest an out-of-the-box previously configured solution can readily be called upon, but then all you naysayers would complain about 'change' rather than man up and educate yourselves as to the real issues.

Hmm, highly suspect. Highly suspect indeed.

If it were truly "easily fixed" there wouldn't be so many complaints when most have tried the recommended patches with few lasting results.

There's no logical reason this site should be so troublesome when most others are not

Folks, really these lines of inquiries are rather frustrating to the 'techies' out there, or even to good natured fellow members who might be willing to offer some assistance. The truth of the matter, and I am speaking from professional experience here (resume provided upon request to naysayers), is that folks are so ignorant to the root cause of issues and are utterly incapable of learning for themselves; knowing only to cry foul. To try and educate any of you as to how best to proceed is like trying instruct a baboon how to conduct a symphony. There are some in-between steps, and both involve swinging your arms to and fro.

"I'd rather try touching the moon than take on a whore's thinking." This, though directed to another audience, perfectly sums up both my own attitude and the attitude of most every competent IT professional in America.

Honest and functional solutions have been proposed, hands have been held, and you have been led to water. Only you can decide if your frustration need be quenched.
yea, this schitt is only as hard as you make it.

You need to leave now.
Don't let the door hit you in your stupid ass. You are worse than a focking woman. LEAVE DICKHEAD!!!

You need to leave too. Get out now!!! WOMEN!!!!
Originally Posted by BrotherBart

You need to leave now.
Don't let the door hit you in your stupid ass. You are worse than a focking woman. LEAVE DICKHEAD!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
this is pretty funny notice how I worded the subject. I was exactly right in fortelling that some on here would say "oh there is no problem your a dumb $hit" I expected people to say this. but I would say at least half the people here agree with what I am saying. so why does it have to be so personal?? why can't the attitude be I don't have any problem and leave it at that, why are me and others pointing out that there are problems attacked??
Folks, really these lines of inquiries are rather frustrating to the 'techies' out there...

Yeah, I give up. Tired of repeating myself, hoping it was for newbies and slow learners. The solution is easy and free, if you don't want it then it's your problem. Enjoy the bitching.
this is pretty funny notice how I worded the subject. I was exactly right in fortelling that some on here would say "oh there is no problem your a dumb $hit" I expected people to say this. but I would say at least half the people here agree with what I am saying. so why does it have to be so personal?? why can't the attitude be I don't have any problem and leave it at that, why are me and others pointing out that there are problems attacked??

You have been led to water yet you refuse to drink.
You have been given the solution but you just keep bitching.
It's personal because YOU brought it to that.
Beat feet... GTFO...
Or take the good advice that you've been given and STFU!!!!

You're right.

Based on my experience with the site, I believe there's an infinite loop in the JavaScript on the page. If you load a page (without AdBlock, which--as everybody says, does solve the problem) and watch the status line, you'll see that a succession of websites are being hit over and over and over again. (Watch for the string "ad.lijit," for example.)

This means that your network bandwidth is being wasted, your browser is in needless contention for NIC attention with all the other applications on your computer, and your browser is constantly so busy downloading worthless data that it has less time to pay attention to you and your mouse, which is why the cursor flickers.

It's tough to tell just by looking at the JavaScript on the page, but my bet is that the various ad clients are misconfigured on the server in such a way that this loop happens.

AdBlock puts a nice big soft Band-Aid on the problem, it's true, but it's also true that there is a problem here that other websites don't have, and it should be fixed here, and there's no reason it can't be fixed here, if other websites have fixed it.

I'm on your side.
My favorite is the stack overflow dialogue infinite loop. Wonder what someone thought they were doing when they wrote that script?

Well yeah, should be fixed. But, as I gather, not so likely with a part time one man band trying to fund a free site with a little coin left over. But then I'm not a network guy.
Originally Posted by Barak

It's tough to tell just by looking at the JavaScript on the page, but my bet is that the various ad clients are misconfigured on the server in such a way that this loop happens.

Bingo, but you cant tell by the Javascript on the page. Because the ad servers change daily, sometimes multiple times/day. Do multiple site checks on webpagetest.org, morning noon night, whenever. One thing that is consistent high js usage. The servers that bog down vary all over the US(but one specific in Santa Clara has routinely been schit). I been watching it a lot over the last few weeks and keep asking myself, how are some of these places still in business? And why is Rick doing business with whoever is doing business with them? But, not my circus, not my monkeys. Bypass it and roll on.
this is pretty funny notice how I worded the subject. I was exactly right in fortelling that some on here would say "oh there is no problem your a dumb $hit" I expected people to say this.

You simply aren't that cunning.

You're right.

Based on my experience with the site, I believe there's an infinite loop in the JavaScript on the page. If you load a page (without AdBlock, which--as everybody says, does solve the problem) and watch the status line, you'll see that a succession of websites are being hit over and over and over again. (Watch for the string "ad.lijit," for example.)

This means that your network bandwidth is being wasted, your browser is in needless contention for NIC attention with all the other applications on your computer, and your browser is constantly so busy downloading worthless data that it has less time to pay attention to you and your mouse, which is why the cursor flickers.

AdBlock puts a nice big soft Band-Aid on the problem, it's true, but it's also true that there is a problem here that other websites don't have, and it should be fixed here, and there's no reason it can't be fixed here, if other websites have fixed it.

I'm on your side.

Barak, as a fully-vested member of The Old and The Ignorant, I thank you for your understanding. Best, John

Your silly crap left my screen long ago.
If no one quotes you , I never see it at all, so feel free to ramble all you like
Wow Snyper...you're first member I've seen on here (besides us Tn boys) that doesn't worship Bart's stool sample.

Now you realize that "because he has been on here a significant amount of time and was under a previous username since 1974" you're supposed to behold and cup his ballsack because of his awesome contributions and his killer meatless and beanless chili recipe.

laugh

Mmmm...but now suddenly I'm wondering.

Does the Campfire get money for every ad it displays?

Because if it does, maybe the misconfiguration isn't accidental.

On a normal website, if you open a page at home and then go to work and leave it open, it'll load one page's worth of ads and then sit there and wait for you.

But if you open a Campfire page at home and then go to work, that loop in the background will have loaded thousands and thousands of ads (copies of the same ones, so you don't notice any changes) by the time you come home.

If the Campfire is getting a few cents--or even a fraction of a cent--every time your browser downloads an ad onto a Campfire page, then the Campfire may be making out like a bandit because of the loop.

Or not--I don't run an ad-supported website, so I know very little about how the money flows.
And THAT'S the bottom line.

No issues here, none (using Chrome).. So why would I have zero problems with this site using Chrome and others do? Methinks the issue is with their equipment/browser/etc than anything to do with this particular site..

YMMV
I use Firefox, Windows XP on two computers, Windows 7 on three others, and 24hourcampfire works perfectly on all. Everything connects through a VPN with tunneling, either Anonymizer or Hide My A$$, with Adblock Plus stripping out any ads - I never see an ad, and Webroot SecureAnywhere handling real time virus and malware protection, backed up by Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. I have to block any flashing or moving ads or I can't read the forums, I get dizzy if anything flashes or moves while reading. I also use NoScript add on for Firefox, DoNotTrackMe to block any tracking attempts, so far it has blocked 48,699 trackers since Dec. 13, 2013. Also use Better Privacy to block cookies.

The forum is completely still, works without any hindrance and is a pleasure to use.

Oh boy. This conversation.... Again...

I guess that all of these add on's and plug in's that are made for browsers, were all made because 24 hour campfire is the ONLY place that has these issues....

pahick, you might want to keep an eye on your blood pressure there buddy.

I opened Firefox to make this reply, just for you. grin

The title of this thread cracks me up.

My first thought is that it's obviously true or else the OP would have no need to create it in the first place.

My second thought was to wonder if it was true, why would he create it then? I mean if you rashly didn't care what people said, why would you create a thread on a forum?
I uninstalled firefox and switched to google chrome with adblock plus. Night/day. This site was almost unusable with firefox.
Working on solutions here guys. Reviewing everything.
Originally Posted by RickBin
Working on solutions here guys. Reviewing everything.

Could you please hurry up? Cumminscowboy is on the verge of quitting the forum!

Travis

You're right.

I'm on your side.

The most intelligent post yet. Informative and non Attacking I call that productive
When I want to browse the Campfire and all I have are browsers without AdBlock, a little trick I use is to wait until the page looks loaded and all remaining activity is confabulation with ad servers, and then I just click the little "abort" button in the address bar--usually an X or something--that makes it stop all network and JavaScript activity on the current page. That stops the loop cold, until you load the next page; then you have to click the X again. It's a pain in the butt, sure, but it makes the site tolerable.
Originally Posted by HugAJackass

pahick, you might want to keep an eye on your blood pressure there buddy.

laugh I got a little pill here just in case it gets too far outta hand...lol. With 52% js content, might be a little careful with that there "inferior" browser of yours, dont want you to be the next thread starter on the subject wink
laugh

I should so start a thread.

"Grown men still play in the sandbox?" (See what I did there?grin)
laugh
After a careful reading of this entire thread I've learned something important.
This site works fine for me.
It's still free.
I got no problems. grin
© 24hourcampfire