Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Last memory of WV was the young girl working the WV toll booth. Looked like she about 4 teeth left. She was friendly and said "ya' all come back.

Stopped at a Wendy's before that for dinner. Bathroom was dirtier than the ones in Alabama. Front area floor looked like they had just scooted the hogs out. My family and I promptly left. Health dept. did investigate. I'll give you that. And they were nice on the phone.

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Raeford
I understand 4ager.
If one has never been to this part of the country then they wouldn't understand it's allure. These hills and hollars become a part of you. Even though the area that I reside in has changed drastically due to two major universities[Va Tech & Radford U] with a combined 40K students, I'm still just ten to fifteen minutes drive from true hillbilly land in most any direction. When I head north into WV[half hours drive mostly due to winding roads] I see the devastation that the EPA has wreaked. It's hard to believe that poverty exists at that level that close. It's a totally different world yet when you look past the shanties where many of the [mostly former] coal miners live it is still beautiful country.
I guess that I am saying I couldn't image living anywhere else, ever.

Folks down there are certainly doing a whole hell of a lot better now, than they were doing back in the 50s, 60s, 70s...

Alot of folks from outside have moved down there to retire.. bringing in money besides having to rely on coal money... many folks were hillside dirt farmers, and survived off of that...

a big influx started in the early 1970s, after John Denver came out with "Almost Heaven, West Virginia" and you had the 'get back to nature crowd', moving down there from the Northeast and the Midwest....

My family roots are down there from Wyth County VA to Raleigh County WVA, and have been since that area had the first white settlers in there...My grandfather was born in Wythe County in 1907, and my grandmother in Beckley WVa in 1911...if someone has the last name of Meadows or Lily, they are probably related to me...

I was born in Bluefield in 1952, which had a population back then of about 20,000.. now adays I think it is more like 12 to 13 thousand. My mother was raised in Monroe County, and I have relatives peppering Giles Co VA, Mercer, Monroe, Greenbrier and Raleigh Counties WVa...

And Steelie's comment about they are all yankees? I remember few statues erected in small towns in WVa dedicated for the local boys that fought for the Union in the Civil War...but there are plenty dedicated to the local boys who fought for the south.....the county seat of Monroe County is named Union.. but it only has a statue for the boys who fought for the Confederacy...

Poverty has always been a fact of life in Southern WV and the counties in VA bordering it... and yeah, problems that come with poverty still exist down there also....but the locals also know how to take care of one another... you do something for someone in need, twenty years later most will not have forgotten it...

and yeah, they are Leary of outsiders...but no where near as bad as it was when I was growing up...

and despite its good and bad, many of the people down there are of Scotch, Irish and English ancestry...they were a proud independent people when they came there, and their descendents are still the same.. it may not appear to be much to outsiders, but the folks down there are DAMNED proud of where they come from.. and they don't take kindly to outsiders putting it down or pissing on them...

there are plenty of good old boys you just don't want to piss off.. they'll give ya the shirt off their backs if you are in need... and they'll cut your throat if you piss on them...

and as said, a Lot of WVa boys have served their country....I have a lot of relatives that came back from WW 2, highly decorated in combat.....they tend not to back down from a fight very easily....

each year there is a family reunion held in Beckley at Round Top...The Lily family reunion...it holds numerous entries in the Guinness Book of Records, as the largest family reunion held in the United States each year... my great grandfather and 2 of his brothers started that reunion in 1929...its attended by people from all 50 states...

I'm awfully proud of my family roots down there, that's for damned sure...they are good people...some of the most giving you'll find anywhere...much like many people use to be all over this nation.. but it has died out for many reasons... but it is still alive in those mountain hollers and hills...

284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Seafire, your post is right on target and I agree with you in its entirety.

Won't tolerate my property being stolen however.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Denny, I hope you find the workers you need, and settle in and begin to enjoy the slower paced life offered there.

Just adjust your engine down to "ooze control" and roll along, brother.

Sincere Best wishes,

MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wildbill59
Last memory of WV was the young girl working the WV toll booth. Looked like she about 4 teeth left. She was friendly and said "ya' all come back.

Stopped at a Wendy's before that for dinner. Bathroom was dirtier than the ones in Alabama. Front area floor looked like they had just scooted the hogs out. My family and I promptly left. Health dept. did investigate. I'll give you that. And they were nice on the phone.

I don't know about the gal in the toll booth, but our local Wendy's got shut down because employees were doing meth along with the manager. I thought it was strange that so many employees were missing teeth in one restaurant. It's not just West Virginia.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by calikooknic
[Linked Image]

Little known trivia fact:

The toothbrush was invented in West Virginia. Had it been invented in any other state it would have been called a teethbrush. smile

284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
Denny, I hope you find the workers you need, and settle in and begin to enjoy the slower paced life offered there.

Just adjust your engine down to "ooze control" and roll along, brother.

Sincere Best wishes,

MARK

Thread wasn't about workers, slowing down or my stupid stroke as Steelhead joyfully pointed out. Life goes on and I enjoy it to the fullest of my ability everyday.

Thread was about thieves plain and simple.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am assuming they were taking the logs waiting to be loaded out? If they were taking the end cuts they probably believed they were doing you a favor, or the tops even. A simple discussion with them would probably solve the problem.

Your constant disparaging discussions on West Virginians in general though is becoming quite irritating. I guess if you want to judge us all by the actions of a few, well that is your choice, a poor one, but your choice. It makes one wonder how much investigating you did before you moved to that location.

Good Day

284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yup, I'm a real azzhole. Just gave my neighbor lady all the firewood she and her son can cut this season for free.

Greedy bastid than I am I couldn't help but overcharge the guy in the dump truck for his firewood.

10 bucks a load for locust and maple.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Yup, I'm a real azzhole.

You got that in York County Denny, I get it all the time laugh

IC B3

284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WV_Airedale

Your constant disparaging discussions on West Virginians in general though is becoming quite irritating.

Good Day

Sorry that I can't tolerated thieves or my neighbor raping his stepdaughter or the two brothers that have beat several people to death and got away with it or the chitty WV state government that has just plain PHU(KED the good people of WV or the teenage boy caught raping his eight year old brother.

As far as other people having more right to my wood than me Fu(k you and your mule.
All they have to do is ASK me and I'll give it to them as I have done since moving here

284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
[quote=WV_Airedale]
Your constant disparaging discussions on West Virginians in general though is becoming quite irritating.

Good Day

After coming back from the barber shop I'll be down at my dirt poor friend and neighbor's home with a quart of brake fluid that I bought to help him fix his brakes because they have no money and a grand daughter as well as his wife that have some serious health issues and no transportation to the ER.

The kind and generous EMT at the volunteer fire company retired after many years and it really affected the community. 911 calls have taken up to an hour to respond.

When we get done with that I'll take some cold beer up to the guy on the skidder. He's 25 years old with a 3rd grade education.
How the hell is that possible today ?
My neighbor lady has lived here all her life and is a locally retired school teacher. The West Virginia school system in our area has just out and out screwed these poor people and my heart goes out to them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Excuse me, you still didn't answer the questions I put forth.

As far as me and a mule, I don't have a mule.

You keep throwing out all these WONDERFUL things you do for your poor third world neighbors... Hey JACKWAGON, we do that ALL THE TIME FOR OUR NEIGHBORS! You want a cookie and an atta boy for doing what is the standard? really?!?! You are hardly the second coming of Mother Theresa.

I ask a simple question, you refuse to answer and then proceed to tell me to perform sex acts with an animal?!?!

I think I speak for all West Virginians when I say please do us all a favor and take your sorry carcass back to wherever you came from.

Now, if you want to answer the question so I can understand completely what happened and then try to explain (if there is an explanation) what the locals MIGHT have been thinking, we might get this cleaned up. Where did I say anyone had a RIGHT to your wood? Nowhere. I despise a thief just as much as the next person, I am not condoning thievery, just trying to understand what happened and maybe explain the local thinking. Sex offenders? Shoot them, I in no way condone that either. But then I didn't bring them into this you did.

BUT, if you want to continue to call names and be a general pain in our collective rears I will bid adieu to you.

284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I will do my best to answer.

Originally Posted by WV_Airedale
I am assuming they were taking the logs waiting to be loaded out? If they were taking the end cuts they probably believed they were doing you a favor, or the tops even.Sorry my friend but the person is a known thief A simple discussion with them would probably solve the problem. Good Day

Simply put the WV guy went to the landing and got himself a huge load of firewood after telling the loader operator that I had given him permission to do so. I wasn't even home at the time and he knew that as he had to drive past my house to get to the landing.

I call that theft.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What were your plans for the wood taken?

Call the local cops and press charges. Hell, call the PA cops "back home", and ask their advice, too.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
What were your plans for the wood taken?

Firewood to heat my home worth several hundred $$$ if I had to buy it out of pocket.

The guy that took it is a lazy drunk that hasn't worked in over 20 years and lives off his wife's SSI check.

I'm sure that you will come running to his defense.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not running to his defense at all, you miserable old SOB. I asked a question because YOU will have to prove loss if you get off your azz and call the cops.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
All I have to do to prove loss is have the cop talk to the loader operator but I have no intention of calling the law.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No, you ignorant SOB, you have to prove that the wood had value to you (I.e., that it wasn't simply being left as slash). The loader operator is a witness to who, when, and how much.

Of course you won't call the law. In fact, you won't do a damned thing (and you know it).

You can spout off about all the "good" you do, while looking down your nose at everyone around you, but the only person you have to convince that you're doing anything at all and that you're not a miserable old bastid is you. I'd say, by your posts, you're failing in that regard by a considerable distance.

Carry on.

284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
No, you ignorant SOB, you have to prove that the wood had value to you (I.e., that it wasn't simply being left as slash). The loader operator is a witness to who, when, and how much.

Carry on.

The logger has already established a dollar value for me as he sells firewood as well and yes it was set aside as my firewood.

The loader operator made an honest mistake because he didn't know it had been set aside for me.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

351 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 16penny, 260Remguy, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,686
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.