Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Yikes!
Now they are showing this "incident" on national news via video of said tragedy!
F.M.B.!
Yeah the tiny girl was set up flat footed and her feet perpindicular to the target - nothing to do but recoil back into the spectators!
Reminds me of another tragedy that occurred about 15 years ago in Bellevue, Washington where a Church group went on an outing to an indoor pistol range.
SOMEONE set up a small gal with a S&W M-29 in 44 Magnum!
She fires the revolver once (flat footed and feet perpindicular to the target!) and the recoil of the first shot lifted the pistol to over head and pointing backwards when she, in shock, pulled the trigger again KILLING her "instructor" Church group leader!
People unfamiliar with recoil and or firearms should be cautiously introduced to shooting with extremely low recoiling arms IMO!
Should they not?
I feel terrible over the results of this accident and now for the negative news coverage.
Sad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Never shot an uzi. Have been on the range with others firing one though. Like many have said. it would be easy to lose control enough to harm someone else on the range.

I know the fatal shot isn't on the video, but I couldn't watch it knowing what was about to happen.

With regard to ages when its ok for kids to start shooting, as many have said, it all depends on the person.

Last time I took kids to the range I had 4 ranging from 9 to 12. Kids were shooting everything from a Marlin 60, a Savage Rascal (single-shot) a pump action remington and a S&W MP 15-22. everyone started firing a single round at a time. Then load another.

Then we graduated to where I would load 3 or 4 in a mag. Switch to the next shooter and load 3 or 4 in that rifle's mag. Then I would let the first shooter begin firing. Once shooter #1 had safely shot a couple rounds, I went to shooter 3 and repeated.

After a while, I would allow the kids to have 5 rounds per mag. This was a process to get where I was comfortable enough to let them shoot at the same time. I was very pleased with their handling of the firearms, especially keeping finger off the trigger and muzzle control.

Montana MOFO
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GunGeek
That was either a Mini Uzi or a Micro Uzi, because it has the side folding wire shoulder stock. The Mini Uzi has a cyclic rate of around 900rpm, and the Micro Uzi has a cyclic rate of over 1200rpm. BOTH are a handful for an experienced shooter. What the hell were they thinking?

My daughter was handling my LW .45 Commander by that age, and handling it well. And I STILL wouldn't put a mini or micro Uzi in her hands, even if I was standing right next to her.

The thing people forget...It's not the recoil that's the problem, it's the shooters RESPONSE to the recoil. And 900-1200rpm can be a scary thing for an adult let alone a little girl.

I agree. A high cyclical rate of fire is much harder to control than a slow rate of fire and both are a hand full.

There are plenty of you tube videos to prove the point in case anybody needs to know.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Our ranks seem to have no shortage of dolts like this instructor. The one that torques me to no end is the idiot boyfriend or husband who puts a heavy recoiling handgun, rifle or shotgun in the hands of his inexperienced wife or girlfriend and then thinks the results are hilarious.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mart
Our ranks seem to have no shortage of dolts like this instructor. The one that torques me to no end is the idiot boyfriend or husband who puts a heavy recoiling handgun, rifle or shotgun in the hands of his inexperienced wife or girlfriend and then thinks the results are hilarious.

DITTOS!! DITTOS!! DITTOS!!

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Question ...

Does an Uzi have a selectable rate of fire as in semi vs full auto?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Sometimes we are are own worst enemy. We had a similar case here in 08 where it was an 8 year old who shot himself in the head due to the recoil causing him to lose control of the weapon. The "instructor" had walked away leaving a 17 year old in charge. The young boy's Dad was standing right there.

When our kid's learn to drive we send them to driving school and teach them. We have these cases where some think it's ok to put a gun in a child's hands and tell them to pull the trigger.

The antis just love it when such extreame stupidity goes on display.

I'm am sorry for that families loss but am so frustrated that this dangerous practice is still allowed at any responsible gun club.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fish head
Question ...

Does an Uzi have a selectable rate of fire as in semi vs full auto?
No, the rate of fire is fixed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Nine yo is too young to handle a firearm.

Hardly.

This kid just shot a carbine match with us in Cody and beat some of the Grownups.

[Linked Image]

Of course he started out with air guns and .22s long before he turned nine. His dad bought the carbine for his 9th birthday.

Lots of things wrong with how that disaster in the OP went down but the age of the young girl was not the problem.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Most of these "shoot a machine gun event" draw in folks who have never even picked up a firearm let alone shoot one. That's the recipe for trouble.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have seen such many times. I'm now at the age that when I see that coming, I'm going to get in someone's face. Nothing quite as comical as watching some 70 lb girl light off a 3-inch 12 gauge she can barely shoulder. Idiots.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How does anyone figure that the range has responsibility in this?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've fired full auto Uzi's and they are a handful.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

If our range lets you on it it's responsible. Whenever we have public events we have to take out a rider over and above our normal liability policy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

How much training do you think they gave her before they put the MP in her hands?

Like I asked before, I'm betting this is one of those rent a machine gun ranges they advertise all over Vegas.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess y'all's ranges are different then. Around here you rent a bay for however long you want it and go shoot. They don't supply an instructor, just a dude on a golf cart making sure you pick up your trash.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'm assuming that the range owned that Class III Uzi, right? I'm assuming the range advertised for machine gun rental, right? I'm assuming that is their employee out there putting an Uzi in the hands of a 9-year-old child, right?

You're right - the range has zero responsibility. That range will be closed soon, because they will be uninsurable.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by bellydeep
I don't know if the question is whether SOME 9 year olds can handle guns.

But more the question of what justifies it?

I didn't get to shoot a gun, outside of a few very limited instances, until I was old enough to get a hunting license. No harm done here.

BB guns are plenty of gun to keep a kid excited.

minimum age to hunt here. I had my son deer hunting at 9 or 10 just do to maturity. My friend has his 5 year old slaying me pretty big deer with a 22 Hornet. My son was ready and the next one may start sooner. Just depends on how mature he is. And I give them the bullet after the deer has entered the field. I do not give even adults I mentor a round until then or at the minimum until they are seated in a stand and pointed in a safe direction with me right beside them. Sometimes I hold the gun for adults until we see a deer. I am not looking to get shot.
I remember something like this happening at a gun show in Mass. some years back and the kid died. Made me sick to my stomach reading it.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My friends son is now 6 or 7 and took a few nice bucks last year with a bow. I think that is a bit too young but I am not his father nor do I fully know his maturity level.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I guess y'all's ranges are different then. Around here you rent a bay for however long you want it and go shoot. They don't supply an instructor, just a dude on a golf cart making sure you pick up your trash.

On our range you buy a membership for a year and go whenever you want. We have a locked gate.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (007FJ, 222Sako, 1_deuce, 160user, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 51 invisible), 1,759 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,160
Posts18,523,489
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.