Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by fish head
Question ...

Does an Uzi have a selectable rate of fire as in semi vs full auto?
No, the rate of fire is fixed.

There is an alternative to full auto.

Load only one round.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
She squeezes one round on a single - shot setting, then he reaches down and clearly says, "Okay - now full auto". 2 seconds later he's done.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 08/27/14.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I guess y'all's ranges are different then. Around here you rent a bay for however long you want it and go shoot. They don't supply an instructor, just a dude on a golf cart making sure you pick up your trash.

I'm just commenting on the rent a machine gun ranges in LV..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
How does anyone figure that the range has responsibility in this?

I'm assuming that the range owned that Class III Uzi, right? I'm assuming the range advertised for machine gun rental, right? I'm assuming that is their employee out there putting an Uzi in the hands of a 9-year-old child, right?

You're right - the range has zero responsibility. That range will be closed soon, because they will be uninsurable.

If everything you assumed is accurate.....

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I work at the original and busiest of those Las Vegas ranges that feature machine gun rentals. No child of that age and stature would be allowed to shoot that weapon. We offer a kids package that features exotic looking 10-22s. No shooter of any age that shoots a rental, other than ccw quals following instruction, is allowed to hold a firearm w/out an instructor w/in hands reach of the ejection port at all times. The Uzi would be about the last firearm I would hand a child. We average 12 million rounds downrange annually. We haven't had an injury in 25 years of operation other than suicides. I can't imagine that operation remaining insurable. Despite a flawless safety record our insurance cost is staggering. This unnecessary tragedy won't be good thing for anyone interested in guns.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
To no one in particular.

The age should have nothing to do with kids shooting,just how mature they are.
had my kids shooting 22's when 5 or 6 and it was a single shot.
Then worked them up to larger caliber as they got bigger.
I found that they were not able to handle the larger calibers they went back down.
Safety was gone over all the time,still is.
Things sometimes don't work out as we hope,but i hope that the child is getting some help to get over this.
The parents are the ones to blame for this not the range and the instructor had a rather large hand in this happening.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
story going around several years ago about the same thing happening at the machine gun shoot with a 10 year old.

kid wasn't prepared for the gun rising up on him and shot someone.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
wow- couldn't find anything about the 10 year old but in 2008

WESTFIELD, Mass. (AP) � An 8-year-old boy died after accidentally shooting himself in the head while firing an Uzi submachine gun under adult supervision at a gun fair.

The boy lost control of the weapon while firing it Sunday at the Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo at the Westfield Sportsman's Club, police Lt. Lawrence Vallierpratte said.

The boy, Christopher Bizilj of Ashford, Conn., was with a certified instructor and "was shooting the weapon down range when the force of the weapon made it travel up and back toward his head, where he suffered the injury," a police statement said.

"The weapon was loaded and ready to fire," police Lt. Hipolito Nunez said. "The 8-year-old victim had the Uzi and as he was firing the weapon, the front end of the weapon went up with the backfire and he ended up receiving a round in his head."

Last edited by KFWA; 08/27/14.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by KFWA
story going around several years ago about the same thing happening at the machine gun shoot with a 10 year old.

kid wasn't prepared for the gun rising up on him and shot someone.
Yes, I remember this. D�j� vu all over again.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sad situation for all involved. All three of my kids have been shooting responsibly since they were 5 yrs old. Now 7, 11 and 14. But I don't think at any time I would have let them shoot a full auto weapon that wasn't shoulder mounted or easlily controlled. This doesn't help anything related to guns or the shoot sports. Prayers for all involved.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a lot of experience shooting many different automatic weapons. I have introduced quite a few people to the experience, including some fairly young shooters�.my sons started shooting these types of weapons when they were young, but they were never allowed to be the only person controlling the weapon until they were absolutely able to handle it. Even then, they were only allowed to fire weapons that were much easier to control than the mini uzi that the girl was shooting. The mini uzi is a blow back operated weapon that fires from an open bolt and has a very high rate of fire��.it is a hand full for even experienced shooters.

This "instructor" would still be alive if he had simply knelt behind this girl and held the weapon with her��.she would still have had the experience of firing it��..and he would still be alive.

Do I believe she should have been allowed to shoot the weapon��.yes, but only if an adult also had a hand on the front of the weapon to control the muzzle.

One moment of poor judgement ended one life and forever changed others.

Cancer Sucks
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Bamagun01: Good work on familiarizing the offspring with firearms and to use them responsibly.
The TV play is really ramping up regarding this incident!
Sad, sad, sad situation.
I am just heartsick for the instructors death and for his family - he was obviously "one of us" and we are diminished.
I think I will mourn for some more hours/days and then think about what if anything I/we can do to perhaps help the instructors family (children, wife) if he has them???
Prayers have been invoked.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by fish head
Question ...

Does an Uzi have a selectable rate of fire as in semi vs full auto?
No, the rate of fire is fixed.

Bullschidt. Uzis, like other 2nd-gen sub-guns are select-fire.

1st gen sub-guns like the M3, Sten, and Swedish K, did not. The grand-old Thompson was the exception.

Ain't it amazing that only the SF "poser" knows this? GF yerselves, if it applies.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by bbassi
Sorry, but stupid should hurt.

I feel bad for the kid though. That will be tough to live with.
Instructor got what he had coming putting an UZI in the hands of a 9 year old.

That's a little harsh.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Bullschidt. Uzis, like other 2nd-gen sub-guns are select-fire.

1st gen sub-guns like the M3, Sten, and Swedish K, did not. The grand-old Thompson was the exception.

Ain't it amazing that only the SF "poser" knows this? GF yerselves, if it applies.

Good job, poser.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Google? grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Google? grin

It's what sherp_a_knee lives on...

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Gentlemen, gentlemen!
Lets take a breath and try to find a lesson here to prevent any future incidents of this type.
I simply had to turn the background TV off as the now "partial video" of this incident is everywhere.
I have fired quite a few fully automatic weapons from Tommy Guns to Uzis to MP-5's and many varieties of auto M-16's - I just don't think I would partake in sharing those experiences with a diminutive (tiny!) 9 year old girl.
Maybe I am over reacting - just so upset about this right now.
Hopefully the child will not be seriously scarred - scratch the hoping, I am praying that will be the case.
Can't bring those bullets back once expended.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didn't need this to happen to know it's not the way to do things..

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Originally Posted by bbassi
Sorry, but stupid should hurt.

I feel bad for the kid though. That will be tough to live with.
Instructor got what he had coming putting an UZI in the hands of a 9 year old.

That's a little harsh.

Let's say a 15 year girl old studies, then passes her written DL test - all on the same day - (mind you; zero practical behind the wheel experience)...

Would you ride shotgun (as her initial driving instructor on this maiden voyage) in a high perf sports-car?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (160user, 12savage, 1badf350, 1234, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 1,908 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,171
Posts18,523,652
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.