Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Is that a Long Island accent?

It IS him, isn't it ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
So you think that if someone was convicted one time of income tax evasion, or, or growing marijuana, they should be denied forever the right to keep and bear arms?

Congratulations! You have joined Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. You are a Big Brother Gun Grabber! This is exactly how the big government liberals are, right now, going about the task of gun confiscation. They do it little by little.

In 1993 the feds managed to prohibit anybody who was convicted of domestic violence misdemeanors from having firearms. That is, a guy who was arguing with his wife, and merely grabbed her arm, had committed domestic violence assault and battery, and no more guns for him.
Do you remember who was First Lady when this law was passed?

Bit by bit, the big government gun grabbers cut away at firearms rights.

Which group will be next? I predict that next will be anybody ever convicted of a DUI.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The notion that ANYONE who's been convicted of a felony shouldn't have a gun is stupid.

The notion that EVERYONE who's served their sentence should be redeemed in the sight of society is stupider.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by headhunter130
guns clubs, shooting ranges, etc.? What is everyone's opinion?
I believe background checks should be done on all members and if you are a convicted felon, you should not even have a firearm, much less be a member. Just wondering what everyone thinks.

My opinion agrees with yours.

However, my reality tells me it's $100/head to do background checks and I don't want to pay those kind of dues.

Running a club is similar to being a Gov't official - the best mgrs are the ones who don't spend the $$ to make everything perfect.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
So you think that if someone was convicted one time of income tax evasion, or, or growing marijuana, they should be denied forever the right to keep and bear arms?

Congratulations! You have joined Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. You are a Big Brother Gun Grabber! This is exactly how the big government liberals are, right now, going about the task of gun confiscation. They do it little by little.

In 1993 the feds managed to prohibit anybody who was convicted of domestic violence misdemeanors from having firearms. That is, a guy who was arguing with his wife, and merely grabbed her arm, had committed domestic violence assault and battery, and no more guns for him.

Which group will be next? I predict that next will be anybody ever convicted of a DUI.

You nailed it brother.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
My question has nothing to do with taking anything from anyone or those who are good people who made a mistake and either it was a considered a felony at one time, but now is only a misdemeanor (happened to one person I know, his lawyer tells him he cannot touch a gun of anykind at anytime, he had marijuana in a pocket in high school and it was enough that at the time it was considered a felony and he did not even do any jail time and now it is a misdemeanor, heck it is probably not even a crime at all in some states), or a felony that is not of a violent nature.

I was more thinking of if you commit a crime with a gun, i.e. rob or threaten someone at gunpoint or commit a crime (murder, rape at gunpoint, kidnap, etc.) with a gun and convicted, then yes you give up your legal ability to own a gun for the rest of your life. Only to way to protect a law abiding persons right to a gun is to punish those who commit a crime with one, no matter the age or time served.

One of my friends had a guy working for him, construction, the guy did not show up for work for a month or so, he got a DUI, he served 30 days or so in jail for whatever was worked out with the court. When he showed back up to work (he was a great worker and talented at working with wood), my friend asked him what happened and he could have paid whatever it was and not went to jail, but he told my friend that 30 days or so in jail was nothing, he said a year or two was nothing, he would rather keep the money, do the jail time, get a free place to stay with food and cable tv.

Same probably applies to someone who commits a crime with a gun, not enough punishment to those who break the law with a gun to help protect those who abide by the all the crazy laws the idiots on the left come up with.

Another question is what happens if the person who committed a crime with a gun, gets caught with a gun or guns and is connected to the club and that the club has knowingly allowed him to possess, shoot, etc. guns at the club?

I think background checks should be enforced for the above reason. I agree with many of the above about letting people get on with their lives, but if the worst case scenario happened, I understand it is a class 6 felony if you let a convicted felon hold, shoot, possess, etc a gun, of any kind.

NRA Benefactor life member
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

I agree with you, should have clarified more, I should have added people who are convicted of crimes with a gun. As you say the guy who grabs his wifes arm, that should go away (that is why when a woman has gotten upset with me, for the most I walk away and let things cool off, if they don't cool off, there are million of women in the world), the guy who holds a gun to her head and threatens her life, loses his legal ability to own a gun for the rest of his life.

Last edited by headhunter130; 08/28/14.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My personal opinion, (yours may differ, and that's OK), is that there should be no restrictions, regardless of whatever crime they have been convicted of. If they are deemed ready to return to society as productive members, then let them return as full members; gun rights included. If they are too dangerous to allow them to return to society, then allow them to take a one way ride with Ol' Sparky. You can't have it both ways, they're rehabilitated, or they ain't........

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
My personal opinion, (yours may differ, and that's OK), is that there should be no restrictions, regardless of whatever crime they have been convicted of. If they are deemed ready to return to society as productive members, then let them return as full members; gun rights included. If they are too dangerous to allow them to return to society, then allow them to take a one way ride with Ol' Sparky. You can't have it both ways, they're rehabilitated, or they ain't........

I agree and have said that for years too. Many stand around with that DUH look because the recidivism rate is so high but we do everything possible to make sure once a criminal always a criminal.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 700LH
This sort of thinking from the OP is how more and more gun control is passed.

This. Busy bodies should just STFU.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I believe background checks should be done on all members and if you are a convicted felon, you should not even have a firearm, much less be a member. Just wondering what everyone thinks.

I think the U.S. Attorney's Office would agree with you.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Blue, keep resorting to logic and you will confuse many.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think we should make every citizen an automatic felon from birth then all guns could be confiscated.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Depends on the felony and how rehabilitated one has become.

That's better.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H

I typed before I thought it out, maybe you missed my recent posts. If you commit a crime with a gun, meaning, rape, murder, robbery, kidnapping, etc. (not making a mistake and having a gun in your possession at the wrong place at the wrong time or breaking one of the many idiotic laws there are in existence in this country), but a crime with a gun, you give up your legal to own firearms for the rest of your life.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I typed before I thought it out, maybe you missed my recent posts. If you commit a crime with a gun, meaning, rape, murder, robbery, kidnapping, etc. (not making a mistake and having a gun in your possession at the wrong place at the wrong time or breaking one of the many idiotic laws there are in existence in this country), but a crime with a gun, you give up your legal to own firearms for the rest of your life.

I was not being jocular. That is pretty much what the Federal laws, with the exception of Family Violence, say.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Huge portion of the problem is to many control hungry lawmakers making to many rules and laws and to many folks enforcing them. It's has become a completely out of control industry.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 700LH
Huge portion of the problem is to many control hungry lawmakers making to many rules and laws and to many folks enforcing them. It's has become a completely out of control industry.

...and that is a result of a society that is irresponsible and doesn't want to be accountable. It's always somebody elses fault.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...but a crime with a gun, you give up your legal to own firearms for the rest of your life.

And just like now only the trustworthy law-abiders will be gunless. You disarmed the good guys.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If the person can legally own the firearm no problem with him shooting. As to the other part about busy bodies and do gooders you are spot on. Basic safety rules then mind your own bees wax. We have that situation at our club and it is costing members. They regulate rate of fire,number of rounds in the firearm etc. I inquired how to load three rounds in my Garands Em block and got a blank stare. The biggest joke is the power tripping blowhards who are thinking up all the new rules don't know their azz from a mine shaft about the majority of firearms. They shoot trap, and that is about all they know or care about.
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
If the individual can legally own a gun, IMHO he or she has every right to join a hunting or shooting club.

Gun clubs seem to be rife with busy bodies and doo gooders. Me thinks we'd be better off if folks spent more time minding their own business.

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 1,624 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,991
Posts18,520,231
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.