Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
GRF Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Gentlemen; I had enquired a while back about the .375 H&H rifles I was considering purchasing should I be able to conclude a certain price of business which would allow me to head off for cape buffalo in 2016. My rational was that it would have more versatility than a .416 before and after the cape buffalo hunt.

I have had a marlin guide gun for over a decade and really like having a "large" lever gun. Converting the rifle to .470 Turnbull would give me a bigger bullet for cape buffalo and fill my ongoing " need" of a large lever gun.

Are the ballistics of the .470 Turnbull suitable for Cape Buffalo? Below are from Turnbull's website.
400 g at 1850 fps, 450 g at 1725 fps

Thanks again

GRF

Last edited by GRF; 09/06/14. Reason: Spelling
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Garret cartridges manufacture several 45-70 loads that meet or exceed the Turnbull ballistics.
link;
http://garrettcartridges.com/4570exitertech.html

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GRF
Are the ballistics of the .470 Turnbull suitable for Cape Buffalo? Below are from Turnbull's website.

Thanks again

GRF

Generally speaking, I think you will find that most folks will say you need 500 grs. at 2,150 to 2,400 fps.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
GRF Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for the input gentlemen

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Use the right bullet and 470 Turnbull will certainly work.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Do what you had planned and buy the 375.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GRF
Thanks for the input gentlemen
You're welcome.

If you want to use the .470 TB, do it. Just make sure your PH is OK with it and use North Fork Cup Point Solids or Flat Point Solids. Both of those come in 500 gr. If you ask John he might make you some 450 gr.

Shot placement is everything.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Use your Guide Gun with the Garrett ammunition and don't look back. Your 45-70 with that ammo will out penetrate the 470.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I believe its Nosler's reloading book #6; one of the writers took his GG to Africa. The PH had some reservations about it until he saw how it performed. The writer finally got a chance at a dugga boy, and he fired at the front shoulder. The animal took off, toward the thick bush, but our writer had time to get 2 more into him. I believe the second one was a little far back, and the 3rd was just before he got into some more dangerous territory for a follow up, so a shot at the hip was taken to slow him down, as well as that was all that was visible before he disappeared.

The tracker went to survey the area, and calls "Two buffalo down!" The first shot went through both shoulders of a big bull, and entered a cow that was perfectly hidden just behind him, going through her broadside (can't remember whether a shoulder was hit) and killing her. The bullet was recovered just underneath the hide on the offside of the cow!

I don't think he gave the specific load data, but I'm pretty sure it was a 405 gr. at probably a little over 1900 fps.

It'll work.

Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Tactical Lever;
Welcome to the 'Fire from across the tall hills to the west of you sir.

The writer in question is Brian Pearce and if I recall right the original article he wrote about the hunt was published in a Wolfe magazine - Rifle, Handloader or Successful Hunter - but can't recall just which now.

Though he has/had Winchester/Browning '86 rifles in .45-70, I want to say it was a Marlin that he took to Africa, whether a Guide Gun or not though escapes me right now - sorry.

The bullets might have been hard cast lead too???

Anyway if I run into either the original article or more memory somewhere I'll post it up here.

Again welcome to the 'Fire and all the best to you on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I believe the bullet that Brain used was a jacketed solid if memory serves. In the old days a lot of Cape buffalo were taken cleanly with a 405 Winchester with 300 grain bullets.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Brian used a hard cast bullet on the buffalo.

He took a Marlin .45/70 and a Pre '64 M 70 .300 H&H.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

I believe the bullet that Brain used was a jacketed solid if memory serves. In the old days a lot of Cape buffalo were taken cleanly with a 405 Winchester with 300 grain bullets.

yeah but no one really considered it ideal, hell Roosevelt who was a Winchester slut quickly regulated his 405 to lion duty due to the piss poor performance of a 300 grain 405 load as far as penetration....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Imagine what one could do today if bullets had changed in the past 100 years...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well except for the big stuff it really hasnt....when we are talking the 45-70, 405 ect we are talking solids for the most part just like we were 100 years ago...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by rattler

yeah but no one really considered it ideal, hell Roosevelt who was a Winchester slut quickly regulated his 405 to lion duty due to the piss poor performance of a 300 grain 405 load as far as penetration....

Osa Johnson used a 405 Winchester to kill 2 or 3 Cape buffalo and turned the heard as she protected her husband as he filmed the charge.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I ain't talking solids

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Osa Johnson used a 405 Winchester to kill 2 or 3 Cape buffalo and turned the heard as she protected her husband as he filmed the charge.

and Wally Johnson used a Winchester 94 in 30-30 for lions for years....just cause it can work does not mean its the best tool for the job....

G
GRF Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks again gentlemen.

Tactical Lever; welcome, from "just down the road"

GRF

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by Paladin
Originally Posted by GRF

Thanks again

GRF

Generally speaking, I think you will find that most folks will say you need 500 grs. at 2,150 to 2,400 fps.

This advice is baloney.

A .375 at 2500 fps is plenty as is a 450 grain from a .458 at 2200 fps. I once broke a buff's front shoulder with a Texas heart shot from the latter load.

Three caveats: (1) Make sure your PH approves of the Turnbull before you go over and (2) you want a stiff soft point for the first shot, solids for the follow-on shots. (3) Some countries, like Zimbabwe, have minimum energy requirements. Make sure the Turnbull qualifies. I suspect it does.

Flat point solids are best but make sure the lever gun will feed them. Some Model 70s will not.

The biggest disadvantage of a lever gun for buffalo is that it probably does not wear a scope. Nowadays you need a scope to pick out vital parts of the buff in the bush. See Boddington's book. He says you're at a 40% disadvantage with any iron sights.

Personally I think the .375 is a better choice because you will see other game, some of it at relatively long range, while trailing buffs. A shot 500 yards away from buffs does not seem to spook them.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Tactical Lever;
Welcome to the 'Fire from across the tall hills to the west of you sir.

The writer in question is Brian Pearce and if I recall right the original article he wrote about the hunt was published in a Wolfe magazine - Rifle, Handloader or Successful Hunter - but can't recall just which now.

Though he has/had Winchester/Browning '86 rifles in .45-70, I want to say it was a Marlin that he took to Africa, whether a Guide Gun or not though escapes me right now - sorry.

The bullets might have been hard cast lead too???

Anyway if I run into either the original article or more memory somewhere I'll post it up here.

Again welcome to the 'Fire and all the best to you on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I got the story a little mixed up, but it was done with a Marlin 45-70 (as the guys say). Pretty sure it was the Guide Gun version. You are correct on the author. The bullet did pass through 4 shoulders(!) and was recovered under the offside skin.

The short version (I think) was found in Nosler #6. Unlikely that the Noslers were used, as all they seem to have is a not too hard RNSP in 300 gr.

I tend to believe the other fellow that is saying it was a cast 405. A good alloyed FN is pretty much the best monolithic whistle for the job....

You have a great season, too.

I see we have a couple things in common...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Marlins certainly are capably of taking optics, if one wishes.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by GRF
Thanks again gentlemen.

Tactical Lever; welcome, from "just down the road"

GRF

Thanks! From just up the road... crazy 5 or so hours IIRC. Crazy thing is a couple guys drive up here to work!

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T

Well it might not be a 45-70, but it is certainly nothing in which to stick the incautious finger! A cape buffalo is one of the few animals where the penetration might fall on the short side. Maybe. And that can be improved with a 350 gr. bullet.

I believe Roosevelt relegated his .405 for his favourite lion cartridge. Not to mean it was barely adequate for anything tougher.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
im a full blown Africa nut as anyone thats talked books with me knows, ive got around 100 volumes on hunting in Africa on the shelves.....im not one to pick and choose guys that made my point....if i look over my collection as a whole, with the exception of guys like Baker and Selous who bridged the blackpowder/smokeless eras most anyone that spent any real time hunting over there did not go from larger calibers to smaller....just about everyone that started with lighter or rounds like the 405 decided to go heavier, more often than not cause they had some critter put holes in their hide....

i have no doubt that most of the time a 45-70 with heavy loads or a 405 Win with the right bullets will do you well, especially if you throat that 405 to seat out 400 grain bullets...hell i wouldnt hesitate if offered to hunt with them but the fact is they are on the low end of adequate for critters that will kill you if given the chance.....and they would not be my choice if i was facing these critters without backup...

well other than i always thought for someone used to a lever gun a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 stoked with warm 300 grain hollow points might make a damn effective gun for following up leopard....

Last edited by rattler; 09/07/14.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by GRF

Thanks again

GRF

This advice is baloney.

A .375 at 2500 fps is plenty as is a 450 grain from a .458 at 2200 fps. I once broke a buff's front shoulder with a Texas heart shot from the latter load.

Three caveats: (1) Make sure your PH approves of the Turnbull before you go over and (2) you want a stiff soft point for the first shot, solids for the follow-on shots. (3) Some countries, like Zimbabwe, have minimum energy requirements. Make sure the Turnbull qualifies. I suspect it does.

Flat point solids are best but make sure the lever gun will feed them. Some Model 70s will not.

The biggest disadvantage of a lever gun for buffalo is that it probably does not wear a scope. Nowadays you need a scope to pick out vital parts of the buff in the bush. See Boddington's book. He says you're at a 40% disadvantage with any iron sights.

Personally I think the .375 is a better choice because you will see other game, some of it at relatively long range, while trailing buffs. A shot 500 yards away from buffs does not seem to spook them.

Most guys put scopes on their Marlins. I know I can't use irons worth crap.

I like the idea of a fast handling lever for dangerous game. Always wanted to go after something really big with mine.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

and Wally Johnson used a Winchester 94 in 30-30 for lions for years....just cause it can work does not mean its the best tool for the job....

If it works then it works pure and simple.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
im a full blown Africa nut as anyone thats talked books with me knows, ive got around 100 volumes on hunting in Africa on the shelves.....im not one to pick and choose guys that made my point....if i look over my collection as a whole, with the exception of guys like Baker and Selous who bridged the blackpowder/smokeless eras most anyone that spent any real time hunting over there did not go from larger calibers to smaller....just about everyone that started with lighter or rounds like the 405 decided to go heavier, more often than not cause they had some critter put holes in their hide....

i have no doubt that most of the time a 45-70 with heavy loads or a 405 Win with the right bullets will do you well, especially if you throat that 405 to seat out 400 grain bullets...hell i wouldnt hesitate if offered to hunt with them but the fact is they are on the low end of adequate for critters that will kill you if given the chance.....and they would not be my choice if i was facing these critters without backup...

well other than i always thought for someone used to a lever gun a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 stoked with warm 300 grain hollow points might make a damn effective gun for following up leopard....

I would have no qualms (well maybe, just the usual ones) about going after heavy game with a hot loaded 45-70. There are calibers that offer more foot pounds, more momentum, more diameter, and heavier bullets. Not a whole lot of them can offer the speed of handling and follow up shots though. Not to mention topping up the mag without dropping or opening anything.

You'll have to refresh my memory; did Karamojo Bell switch to a heavy gun? Of course he killed more heavy game before getting his pants on than most of us will in a lifetime.

For a leopard that's a heavy gun. If I was going to follow one up, I think I would want something I could shoot even quicker, or a buckshot load.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

if you actually read very much on African hunting it aint that simple, hence the reason most toss the small stuff for larger if they do it long enough, eventually just good enough gets you in the hospital if your lucky or the grave if you aint....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tactical_Lever

I would have no qualms (well maybe, just the usual ones) about going after heavy game with a hot loaded 45-70. There are calibers that offer more foot pounds, more momentum, more diameter, and heavier bullets. Not a whole lot of them can offer the speed of handling and follow up shots though. Not to mention topping up the mag without dropping or opening anything.

You'll have to refresh my memory; did Karamojo Bell switch to a heavy gun? Of course he killed more heavy game before getting his pants on than most of us will in a lifetime.

For a leopard that's a heavy gun. If I was going to follow one up, I think I would want something I could shoot even quicker, or a buckshot load.

yeah bell went somewhat heavier but how he hunted elephant also changed.....a large part of the reason he used light rifles was how he hunted which is alot different than how its done today or even towards the end of his career....

like i said in a normal modern safari i wouldnt mind hunting with a hot loaded 45-70 if it was handed to me, but its not the gun i would choose if i was to swap places with the PH and my job became body guard over hunter.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by GRF

Thanks again

GRF

This advice is baloney.

IndyCA35,

My apologies for expecting anyone to read between the lines in my first post. It should be noted that I said "Generally speaking, I think you will find that most folks will say you need 500 grs. at 2,150 to 2,400 fps".

I was expecting this the go the way of The-.45/70-Doesn't-Belong-In-Africa argument, regardless of the success experienced by some who chose to use the .45/70 in Africa.

The quote below in my second post is my opinion and reflects your first caveat as well as your recommendation of FP bullets.

If you want to use the .470 TB, do it. Just make sure your PH is OK with it and use North Fork Cup Point Solids or Flat Point Solids. Both of those come in 500 gr. If you ask John he might make you some 450 gr.

Shot placement is everything.

You might also want to read Pierre van der Walt's thoughts on iron verses optics. While he does concede that optics are useful, especially with aging eyes and first shot placement, he makes a compelling argument for iron sights and dangerous game considering the range most DG is taken.

I only have one buffalo hunt under my belt so the following is only from my perspective based on extremely limited experience.

Regarding the use of a scoped rifle and taking other game while hunting buffalo, no other game was even considered so long as buffalo were in sight regardless of range. To forgo buffalo for any other game never came to mind so the use of a scoped rifle was never an issue.

For a one gun safari, the scoped .375 may be considered by some as ideal, but the OP was about whether a .470 Turnbull was adequate for buffalo, and in my opinion it is. Prior to the acquisition of the rifle I took to Africa, my choice was an 1895 Marlin in .45/70, and it will probably go along next time.

By the way, my first shot on buffalo was with a solid and it worked splendidly, against all recommendations. If I had it all to do over again, would I use a solid first? You bet, but not just any solid.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Use your Guide Gun with the Garrett ammunition and don't look back. Your 45-70 with that ammo will out penetrate the 470.

Sharpsguy,

I have read your posts in the past and respect you. As I understand you put a lot of time and effort in shooting. IIRC you hunted Africa with iron sites and took animals at something like 500 yards, impressive.

This is one time I have to diagree with you. I performed quite a bit of testing similar to Garret's. I was very methodical and tried to be as consistant as possible.

I also read Garret's test and my results were quite a bit different.

With a 458 Lott I was shooting through 72" of wet newsprint and 3 two by sixes. The bullets were exiting.

With my 470 I was shooting through 72" of wet newsprint and the bullet would stop in the second two by six.

These test were performed with North Fork FN solids.

I also shot reduced loads with different bullets in the 470. IIRC the velocity went as low as 1600 FPS. Penetration was less on the lower velocities.

A video from one of the tests.

[img]http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q135/Mike70560/th_M4H011532.mp4[/img]

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by GRF
Gentlemen; I had enquired a while back about the .375 H&H rifles I was considering purchasing should I be able to conclude a certain price of business which would allow me to head off for cape buffalo in 2016. My rational was that it would have more versatility than a .416 before and after the cape buffalo hunt.

I have had a marlin guide gun for over a decade and really like having a "large" lever gun. Converting the rifle to .470 Turnbull would give me a bigger bullet for cape buffalo and fill my ongoing " need" of a large lever gun.

Thanks again

GRF

IMO the 470 Turnbull is adequate, as is the 45-70, however I feel there are much better choices. If you like the lever gun have you considered the 475 Turnbull?

There is plenty of anecdotal evidence as to which round is better or even adequate. Hunt with what makes you happy, you are paying the ticket.

I have shot nine buffalo with no backup shots using a .375 H&H, 416 Rem. and 470 Nitro. Two DRT with the 470, and the one that required the most shots was also with the 470. All worked fine, as I am sure many other rounds would have.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Originally Posted by sharpsguy

Sharpsguy,

I have read your posts in the past and respect you. As I understand you put a lot of time and effort in shooting. IIRC you hunted Africa with iron sites and took animals at something like 500 yards, impressive.

This is one time I have to diagree with you. I performed quite a bit of testing similar to Garret's. I was very methodical and tried to be as consistant as possible.

I also read Garret's test and my results were quite a bit different.

With a 458 Lott I was shooting through 72" of wet newsprint and 3 two by sixes. The bullets were exiting.

With my 470 I was shooting through 72" of wet newsprint and the bullet would stop in the second two by six.

These test were performed with North Fork FN solids.

I also shot reduced loads with different bullets in the 470. IIRC the velocity went as low as 1600 FPS. Penetration was less on the lower velocities.

A video from one of the tests.

[img]http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q135/Mike70560/th_M4H011532.mp4[/img]

Mike70560,

Thanks for posting your test results. Interesting video as well.

John Linebaugh used to do similar penetration tests during his seminars, the results of which can be seen in the Linebaugh Test Results. He used the same media, although a bit different setup as there were no boards, but large bovine bone set behind the first 6-8" of the soaked news print in some of the tests.

It is interesting to note some handgun loads penetrated more than some rifles.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
GRF Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
According to Turnbull's website the .475 does not fit well n the Marlin action.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GRF,

If you like the Marlin and want to use it for Cape buffalo, send it off and have it converted. If you don't, you will always regret it and will most likely have it done in the future anyway.

I'm way too close to 60 and have to wear glasses. I shot buffalo, warthog, blue wildebeest, zebra, and baboon all with open sights without a problem. Bow hunters routinely take African game at close range. But with a Marlin, adding optics isn't an issue.

If you are going to Africa to experience Africa, have the best time of your life, and fulfill the dream of a lifetime, take the .470 TB. If you are going with a list of animals you have to take and that is your main goal, use something else with a bolt and scope.

Is the .470 TB an ideal buffalo round? No. Will it kill a buffalo? Yes.

The best reason to use a .470 TB on buffalo is because you want to use one on buffalo.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one of the Ruger #1's in .475:

[Linked Image]

A few folks got to shoot it at our Quemado gathering, and no one seemed disabled by the gun. smile

Here's a thread on it:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9163293#Post9163293

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pat,

How did you manage to catch the cat licking it's chops while staring at your rifle? Looks a bit odd.

Got to shoot that once and wish I had shot it some more. Dang accurate. Trigger pull was a bit surprising, but it should be.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
pure dumb luck; she has a knack for making ridiculous faces with a camera around.

After I work up the heavies, I'll see about some cast bullet loads, including the ones you kindly gave me. Although it can approach a .470 Nitro in power I suspect long term I'll run lighter loads in it. I have some 275gr Speers that were intended for the .480 Ruger. I imagine they could make ludicrous speed out of the #1 grin

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
GRF,

If you like the Marlin and want to use it for Cape buffalo, send it off and have it converted. If you don't, you will always regret it and will most likely have it done in the future anyway.

I'm way too close to 60 and have to wear glasses. I shot buffalo, warthog, blue wildebeest, zebra, and baboon all with open sights without a problem. Bow hunters routinely take African game at close range. But with a Marlin, adding optics isn't an issue.

If you are going to Africa to experience Africa, have the best time of your life, and fulfill the dream of a lifetime, take the .470 TB. If you are going with a list of animals you have to take and that is your main goal, use something else with a bolt and scope.

Is the .470 TB an ideal buffalo round? No. Will it kill a buffalo? Yes.

The best reason to use a .470 TB on buffalo is because you want to use one on buffalo.

Good answer. Why does anyone pick any rifle, or cartridge. 90% of the time, its just cause it floats yer' boat.

I do have a question on the custom chambered levers, though. What are they designed to handle, pressure wise? And why is a the .470 appear to come in under the capability of a 45-70 with a stiff handload, when it has a greater surface area in the base of the bullet to push against? Is the hoop area thinned out too much to handle the pressures that would be acceptable in 45-70?

I would think not, as the .50 Alaskan seems to be a step up on the power scale.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I have one of the Ruger #1's in .475:

[Linked Image]

A few folks got to shoot it at our Quemado gathering, and no one seemed disabled by the gun. smile

Here's a thread on it:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9163293#Post9163293

That wouldn't be a Pavlovian response to that rifle shooting pest/snacks for your kitty would it?

I think that the 275 gr. might be kind of wild for that!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I'm betting a revolver bullet at 3000 fps would thoroughly tenderize snacks for her smile Though she never really eats anything but kibbles. The one time she & her housemate caught a lizard, they seemed content to play with it.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

[/quote]

if you actually read very much on African hunting it aint that simple, hence the reason most toss the small stuff for larger if they do it long enough, eventually just good enough gets you in the hospital if your lucky or the grave if you aint.... [/quote]

I have read a ton and yes it is that simple. I have also killed a hell ova lot of game and if the correct bullet is used that penetrates through the vitals then critters die. It really is that simple. A bad bullet in a 458 Lott creates major problems but a good bullet in say a 405 win works. As long as the bullets is placed correctly but that goes for any and all cartridges.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I have read a ton and yes it is that simple. I have also killed a hell ova lot of game and if the correct bullet is used that penetrates through the vitals then critters die. It really is that simple. A bad bullet in a 458 Lott creates major problems but a good bullet in say a 405 win works. As long as the bullets is placed correctly but that goes for any and all cartridges.

JWP, I know where you are from and you expect me to believe you can read a book. grin

You are absolutely correct about the bullets. I can make a 45-70 out penetrate a Lott easily and vice versa. I still like bigger, especially on elephant. Shot placement and bullets!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

if you actually read very much on African hunting it aint that simple, hence the reason most toss the small stuff for larger if they do it long enough, eventually just good enough gets you in the hospital if your lucky or the grave if you aint.... [/quote]

[/quote]

how much of the game is the kind that bites back? there is a difference....fair number of people out there dead or with holes in their hide cause their just good enough chambering took a few seconds to long to kill a critter, especially those chasing lions and elephant....difference between a lion dieing now and succumbing 20 seconds from now from the shot can mean a long hospital stay if your lucky, a funeral if your not....

like i said what im willing to use with a PH backing me up is alot different than if i was in the PH's shoes.....there are times when just good enough really isnt

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JD Jones killed many a buffalo, both Cape and the Aussie versions with his .375 JDJ "hand canon". He told me he got about 1900 fps out of a 270 solid and 24" of penetration in an elephant skull was not a problem. Broadside shots on Cape buffalo and Aussie banteng penetrated completely.

So a 400 grain solid at 1800 fps or so will certainly kill a Cape buffalo. I killed a Cape buffalo with a 9.3 JDJ shooting a 270 grain Barnes X. Worked just fine. One shot kill. After the fact, I consider it a stunt and caution others from pulling stunts on dangerous game. Hunting Cape buffalo with a bow is a stunt. I shot a NW Red buffalo in Cameroon with a .45WM out of a carbine. 240 monolithic flat point penetrated fine and did the job. That is a stunt. It was fun, but if anything went wrong, I'd have wanted my .450/400 in my hand.

If your PH will agree to let you hunt with the Turnbull, and you are itching to try it, go ahead, but know it is a stunt and a .375 H&H is a better choice..

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Experience speaks volumes. Spot on...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

how much of the game is the kind that bites back? there is a difference....fair number of people out there dead or with holes in their hide cause their just good enough chambering took a few seconds to long to kill a critter, especially those chasing lions and elephant....difference between a lion dieing now and succumbing 20 seconds from now from the shot can mean a long hospital stay if your lucky, a funeral if your not....

like i said what im willing to use with a PH backing me up is alot different than if i was in the PH's shoes.....there are times when just good enough really isnt

Oh a few would bite back the bear and moose on the left I shot with a revolver hit them both well and they both hit the ground. Not that difficult.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
one of the books you might want to read is 'Hunting the Dangerous Game of Africa' by John Kingsley-Heath, in it he has a list of British hunters through the 1970's i believe, maybe the early 80's that went after lion with chamberings 'just good enough' and didnt make it cause of failing to stop the animal with a hit that wasnt perfect....in some of the cases the lion expired within seconds of killing the person....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
one of the books you might want to read is 'Hunting the Dangerous Game of Africa' by John Kingsley-Heath, in it he has a list of British hunters through the 1970's i believe, maybe the early 80's that went after lion with chamberings 'just good enough' and didnt make it cause of failing to stop the animal with a hit that wasnt perfect....in some of the cases the lion expired within seconds of killing the person....

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Of course you ignore the hunters that didn't make that choose so called acceptable chamberings because their hits were not perfect. Again a quality bullet that is placed properly penetrating through the vitals equals dead.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and if you have hunted as much as you say you should realize chit doesnt go perfect every time, which is why nearly everyone thats been over there long term eventually went heavier, not lighter....perfection does not exist outside of small sample sizes...if you have a PH backing you up you have just that back up if chit goes squirrelly but if your the PH you sure in the hell dont want something just adiquate for those times it does....

and perfectly hit does not mean dead right now when you are talking critters like cape buffalo....once their adrenalin is up even with destroyed hearts they can and have caused serious damage before finally dropping.....

and before you say just make sure your first shot is perfect on unmolested animals which im sure is gonna be your next post, in the last couple years atleast two different PH's have been killed by buff coming out of nowhere taken out by buff that were wounded by poachers or lions that had their adrenalin up before anyone knew they were there....

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Rattler I have hunted my entire life and I am now 63 years old I know exactly it goes and have learned through much experience. Go sell this crap to some one else.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
im guessing i havent shot as many critters as you, but even i have seen odd chit, ive blown out a mule deers doe heart witha gun shooting 1 grain of bullet weight per pound of critter at a couple hundred under 3000fps stand around for 30 seconds like nothing happened....when i cut her open her chest cavity was chunky soup....take that up to a 1500 pound critter and shooting alot less than 1 grain per pound of critter weight...a cape can do alot in that 30 seconds and there are plenty of times they have....if you say other wise you aint as well read on Africa as you say.....

no where have i said that these rounds will not kill critters and do so cleanly, but swap places and you are no longer the hunter with backup, you are the backup and they no longer make sense.......far more PH's agree with me than you.....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Is there anything else you're book learned on that you would like to educate the fire on rattler?

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
beats just making chit up like some do.....jwp has formed his opinion from a couple books on Africa, ive formed mine on closer to 100 books on Africa and chatting with people that have shot a hell of alot more game over there than me....hell hatari said the same thing as me and he has BTDT....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
So jwp's opinions as stated on here are based on a couple books on Africa, got it.

And since you've read a bunch of books on Africa, naturally you are more learned and wise. got it.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
no i just actually got something out of them other than a couple of anecdotes.....which is what TRH does.....i could pull paragraphs or individual books to prove any point i want, instead i read a hundred opinions and noticed some commonalities in the majority....

anyone can read a book and parrot back, TRH is the king of this....critical thinking requires more.....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
ah, so you read a bunch of books, noted the opinions therein, and formulated your own opinion based on the opinion of others as stated in the books.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ahh so your one of those that unless you do it yourself you dont know chit.....hope you never need a doc in an emergency room for anything but the standard chit....

and BTW thats just what jwp did except he only read people that agreed with him....i can give you a hand ful of people ive read that agree with him, but there is a reason the majority that BTDT dont.....

after all a critter thats dead on its feet from a good shot but not dead cant do any harm can it? smirk

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
im guessing i havent shot as many critters as you, but even i have seen odd chit, ive blown out a mule deers doe heart witha gun shooting 1 grain of bullet weight per pound of critter at a couple hundred under 3000fps stand around for 30 seconds like nothing happened....when i cut her open her chest cavity was chunky soup....take that up to a 1500 pound critter and shooting alot less than 1 grain per pound of critter weight...a cape can do alot in that 30 seconds and there are plenty of times they have....if you say other wise you aint as well read on Africa as you say.....

no where have i said that these rounds will not kill critters and do so cleanly, but swap places and you are no longer the hunter with backup, you are the backup and they no longer make sense.......far more PH's agree with me than you.....

There is only one way and one way only to guarantee that an animal can not move after the shot and that is to take out the central nervous system. Each biological animal is a law unto them selves, some go down from lung shot and some do not.
Since you like to read I suggest you read some of Bell's writings.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

and BTW thats just what jwp did except he only read people that agreed with him....i can give you a hand ful of people ive read that agree with him, but there is a reason the majority that BTDT dont.....

Not sure where you came up with this crap but it is no where close to true and factual. I have read plenty, but experience has more value.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
no i just actually got something out of them other than a couple of anecdotes.....which is what TRH does.....i could pull paragraphs or individual books to prove any point i want, instead i read a hundred opinions and noticed some commonalities in the majority....

anyone can read a book and parrot back, TRH is the king of this....critical thinking requires more.....

This is all good and well, however, what have you found out yourself? Seems to me much of your opinion was formed by others and conjecture. Many of the "standard" DG rounds were "standardized" at a time when bullet technology was lacking to say the very least. We have come a long way since and now even calibers that 30 years ago wouldn't have been considered adequate are as a result of better bullets. That said, what is adequate? If a bullet of large diameter (like the .45/70 and the .470 Turnbull) can produce a large hole, and penetrate enough to not only reach and destroy the vitals, but also exit, how can this be described as merely "adequate?" I hunt with handguns almost exclusively and the paper ballistics make them seem far less than adequate. I can assure you that there are many big-bore rifle loads that are considered standards that cannot out-penetrate some of my chosen bullet/load combinations at far lesser velocities. I can assure you they are adequate -- from experience.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Rattler, look at the damage the sot did to this pig. He went down at the shot, got up and ran off literally leaving no blood trail. Do you think a larger more powerful cartridge is the answer? If so I have some ocean front property that you may be interested in located in Nevada.

[Linked Image]f

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
The discussion or argument of what is adequate or the "best" has raged for years, it even predates the internet, Nyschens, Taylor, Bell, Selby, Sutherland all had different viewpoints on what was best.

Most, but not all, PH's are not gun or bullet enthusiasts. They use what works. I have hunted Tanzania, Mozambique, and Zimbabwe, all with Zim PHs, all dangerous game hunts. I have only seen one 375 H&H in camp for a PH. The remaining ones carried mostly 458 Wins or Lotts, 470 and 500 Doubles, the odd 416 Rigby, and one had a 505 Gibbs in a George Gibbs rifle. Ammo ranged from new Federal and Hornady to Kynochs that appeared to be older than me. I can assure you there is not a PH that I ever met that would carry a 45-70 rifle or a pistol on the job. Bigger will work better, you still have to the animal correctly, but there is no substitution for horsepower or reliability on large dangerous game.

375 or 9.3 is the minimum dangerous game caliber in most countries with varying requirements for energy, mostly around 4000 ft. lbs. I guess exceptions are made for pistols. Client rifles in camp tend to be 375-416-458s or doubles 470 or 500s.

Client and PH responsibilities are different. I have always taken the view when choosing a firearm for a DG hunt that I would be doing the hunt on my own with no backup. After being charged by elephants in close cover and having been around some very upset buffalo I can assure you I would not carry a 45-70. Buffalo are tough if not hit correctly on the first shot. I do not know why, but they are. Several PHs have been killed in the last couple of years following up wounded buffalo, including some very experienced ones.

Another issue to keep in mind is bringing a hot rod round from 50 degree weather in Montana to 105 degree weather in Zimbabwe could be problematic. I like the extra case capacity and low pressures of the Nitro rounds.

I am a bullet whore and do love the new designs from North fork and CEB. The add another level of performance to any round.

My opinion on this subject differs from people I respect. At the end of the day we all kill or game and hopefully enjoy doing it. A lot of this is mental masturbation.

I need to go reload and practice some shooting. There is an elephant and buffalo that need killing in the near future.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
EXCELLENT POST from someone who's been there and done it. While there is a great deal of truth to the fact modern day bullets allow us to use lighter calibers on bigger game, in my view Mike's post nails it. I will add this though, given PROPER bullet construction, SPEED KILLS. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Not sure what he nailed. He claims bigger works better, but once you have enough I can't them being any deader. A bullet that puts a quarter size hole through the heart will kill just a s fast a a silver dollar sized hole through the heart. The proper bullet is much more important.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We'll agree to disagree. I don't care how "well constructed" a bullet is, but shoot a buffalo on the shoulder with a "well constructed" 3006 and then do the same with say, a 458Lott and there is a difference. To think that bigger is not better (given proper shot placement of course as only an idiot assumes otherwise) is just not what I subscribe to.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's so many variables in any bullet strike it's hard to generalize. A small bullet might just miss a big blood vessel, and the critter runs a long way. The 45 cal bullet just nicks the vessel, and the trail is much shorter.

I do like the idea of bigger holes, in any case smile

The .475 TB #1 is fairly rare, less than 100 made according to Turnbull. Ruger also made a couple hundred #1's in .450 Nitro. I'd like to find one of them, too, but I've yet to see one that had really nice wood. (I collect #1's) The .475 makes bigger holes, but the .450 NE is a much bigger case, and could likely be loaded hotter. There's also more selection in .458 bullets, too.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 09/10/14. Reason: add last paragraph

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The most instant, dramatic kill that I have ever seen on a buffalo was a body shot with 300 RUM. Quicker and more dramatic kill than my 416 Rigby produced or Jack's 450 Nitro.

Bigger is not mean better as long as you have enough. Saeed has taken 200 or Cape buffalo with his 375 and he thinks it is perfect.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You want dramatic? try a 416 Weatherby @2700 fps on a buffalo. Or ask Layne Simpson and the Brooks'. Saeed's 375/404 screams that bullet out of the muzzle and his Walterhog bullets are a clone of the TSX. I have no problems with a 375 as an all-arounder, but for elephant or as a PH stopper, in "my opinion" it is marginal at best, and a 45/70 is way below that.

Last edited by jorgeI; 09/10/14.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why? I'll take the .458 hole. A good flat-nosed solid will not only make a large hole, but a deep hole without "needing" 2,100 fps. The point is that there is enough momentum to punch all the way through.

By this thought process, if the .45/70 or .470 Turnbull is inadequate, handguns are woefully inadequate and with this I will wholeheartedly disagree.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
The most dramatic kill I have witnessed was a cape buffslo I shot at about 25 ft with a 470 Nitro with 500 grain North Fork Cup Point solid. It was broadside when I shot. It slung its head back like a brain shot elephant and collapsed. High Heart shot. Bullet exited. The PH said he never saw anything like that before.

The worst kill I have witnessed was a buffalo shot with a 45-70 in a Contender. He was using Hornady DGX. It was not a bad shot. They tracked it for two days and by chance we bumped in to it while hunting and were forunate nobody was injured. We met up with the party that was tracking it, found the buffalo and the PH I was hunting with and myself put about 5 or 6 rounds of 470 Nitro in it to put it down. The bullet did not expand on the initial shot and caused little damage. To this day I believe the same shot out of a 458 Win-470 Nitro class rifle with a proper bullet would have put it down. He was also handicapped with a single shot firearm. I will add he took another buffalo later with the same set-up with one shot.

All shots are not perfect. All opportunities are not perfect.

The 375 H&H or Weatherby is a great round. Light recoil, shoots flat, has killed as much or more game while hunting than just about anything else. There is a reason so few PHs carry them in Dangerous Game areas. The Professionals know bigger will work better in less than perfect circumstances.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
You want dramatic? try a 416 Weatherby @2700 fps on a buffalo. Or ask Layne Simpson and the Brooks'. Saeed's 375/404 screams that bullet out of the muzzle and his Walterhog bullets are a clone of the TSX. I have no problems with a 375 as an all-arounder, but for elephant or as a PH stopper, in "my opinion" it is marginal at best, and a 45/70 is way below that.

Exactly he uses a good bullet and locates it properly, my point exactly. I used to be a bigger is better believer but experience has proven that is not a fact. Gill Van Horn maintained that he never noticed any difference on buffalo from 375 to 470 . One fact remains put a proper bullet in the proper location equals dead. Guanyana prefer a 9.3 hardly big medicine and he's has stopped 2 buffalo charges with a 7.62 NATO round.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
The most dramatic kill I have witnessed was a cape buffslo I shot at about 25 ft with a 470 Nitro with 500 grain North Fork Cup Point solid. It was broadside when I shot. It slung its head back like a brain shot elephant and collapsed. High Heart shot. Bullet exited. The PH said he never saw anything like that before.

The worst kill I have witnessed was a buffalo shot with a 45-70 in a Contender. He was using Hornady DGX. It was not a bad shot. They tracked it for two days and by chance we bumped in to it while hunting and were forunate nobody was injured. We met up with the party that was tracking it, found the buffalo and the PH I was hunting with and myself put about 5 or 6 rounds of 470 Nitro in it to put it down. The bullet did not expand on the initial shot and caused little damage. To this day I believe the same shot out of a 458 Win-470 Nitro class rifle with a proper bullet would have put it down. He was also handicapped with a single shot firearm. I will add he took another buffalo later with the same set-up with one shot.

All shots are not perfect. All opportunities are not perfect.

The 375 H&H or Weatherby is a great round. Light recoil, shoots flat, has killed as much or more game while hunting than just about anything else. There is a reason so few PHs carry them in Dangerous Game areas. The Professionals know bigger will work better in less than perfect circumstances.

Not the best bullet IMHO. A friend of mine that you may know had no problem taking an elephant with a contender chambered in 45-70 and loads that he borrowed from JDJ. Ray lives in Morgan City.
His next 2 elephants were taken with a contender in 375 JDJ no drama in any of them just dead elephants.

Last edited by jwp475; 09/10/14.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Why? I'll take the .458 hole. A good flat-nosed solid will not only make a large hole, but a deep hole without "needing" 2,100 fps. The point is that there is enough momentum to punch all the way through.

By this thought process, if the .45/70 or .470 Turnbull is inadequate, handguns are woefully inadequate and with this I will wholeheartedly disagree.

Exactly.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by GRF

Thanks again

GRF

Mid you are comfortable with your Turnbull go with it. I will recommend you load the first shot with a North Fork soft or CEB Raptor followed by either North Fork, CEB or GS Custom flat point solids. The Turnbull will work perfectly so loaded.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
We'll agree to disagree. I don't care how "well constructed" a bullet is, but shoot a buffalo on the shoulder with a "well constructed" 3006 and then do the same with say, a 458Lott and there is a difference. To think that bigger is not better (given proper shot placement of course as only an idiot assumes otherwise) is just not what I subscribe to.

When Ross Seyfried guided he kept a 300 win in camp for clients to use on Cape Buffalo. I once asked him what Jo Anne Hall used on her Cape and he said his 300 win. Ted Hazlewood worked for Winchester most of his life took a lot of African game with a 458 win but the only one shot kill that he ever recorded on buffalo was not with the 458. The only one shot kill that he recorded on Cape buffalo was with the 300 win. Allen Day had a dramatic kill on a Cape buffalo with his 300 win as well.

There will definitely be more shudder at bullet impact with the 458 and more of a visual indication of impact but I have never been able to see that this led to quicker kills

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Whitworth1

Exactly.

You guys go right ahead then. Good luck and I'm sure you'll be in good company with all the PHs carrying 45/70 hand guns...And BTW, I never said any of the guns mentioned would not kill any of the animals mentioned, a good arrow will do the same ..

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Sage words from those that have never tried it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

And never will..How many elephant and Cape Buff have you taken with your handguns?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4711043/m/9931038302/p/1

Gerard
one of us

posted Sep 2, 2:39 AM Hide Post
I have heard this argument for years as well. The bottom line is that 'energy transfer' is a myth in the sense of bullet penetration. You cannot kill anything with the energy that a bullet carries with it. Two holes, entrance and exit, bleed more and ventilate the cavity penetrated better than one hole. Animals are killed by an effective cavity volume and that cavity volume must be in the right place. A major organ or central nervous system must be disrupted sufficiently so that life is not sustained.

There is the additional fact that, a bullet/cartridge combination that cannot shoot through on a broadside shot, cannot be used for a straight going away. If a bullet/cartridge will shoot the length of an animal, it will shoot through on a broadside shot.

www.gscustomusa.com

Posts: 2425 | Location: Michigan - USA, Port Elizabeth - South Africa | Registered: 12 August 2002
Saeed
Administrator
posted Sep 2, 3:01 AM Hide Post
As Gerard has mentioned, energy means nothing.

It is the destruction of vital organs that kills an animal.

I will take penetration over expansion anytime - given a choice.

But, with today's mono metal hollow point bullet, one gets the best of both worlds.

From an exit hole and blood trail point, I have seen instances where there are two holes, an entrance and an exit, but hardly any blood trail.

All the bleeding has happened inside the animal.

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 28237 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998

michael458
one of us

posted Sep 2, 6:01 AM Hide Post
I concur 100% with Gerard and Saeed................

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

And never will..How many elephant and Cape Buff have you taken with your handguns?

Does it only count if I have taken enough or does those many taken by others count?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Either way. But while you're at it, might as well post all taken with a bow as well. I wonder why the African bush isn't crawling with PHs toting hand guns and 45/70s. To say they are "just as good" as any of the established (often times by law) calibers for dangerous game is not something I will agree with and BTW, I've posted a few pictures of dead buffalo with a 303 I've seen on a few sites.

And I forgot to add just for the discussion, is your contention that a 45/70 with a good bullet and 450NE (with the same bullet) on a buffalo there is no difference, so anybody with anything bigger than one (or a 300 Win Mag for that matter) is an is an idiot when they could be carrying a smaller round? Given identical shot placement of course.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Does it only count if I have taken enough or does those many taken by others count?

Well Rattler has posted several (as in a [bleep]) of examples countering your opinion that he's only read about and you discounted his, so do those rules apply ?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Jorge you have totally misconstrued what I have said, I enough is enough and that is a fact.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Jorge you have totally misconstrued what I have said, I enough is enough and that is a fact.

Well if that is your perception, I tuly do apologize, but I did ask when I edited my post.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I guess by your reasoning Phil Shoemaker must be an idiot because he has posted numerous times that the 30-06 is perfectly adequate for big bears. In fact he even still uses it himself at times still.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I noted the following testing SOLIDS in regards to velocity.

Through wet newsprint only, the difference in penetration was less than I expected. Higher velocity was deeper but not much.

If I placed a series of boards and newsprint near the entrance of the test bed the difference was a little more pronounced but not by much.

If I placed the boards further back in the test bed and slowed the bullet down through the media the difference in penetration was much greater. At some point the lower velocity bullet did not have momentum to "punch" through the wood, were the bullet with the higher initial velocity easily penetrated through everything.

It is hard to relate newsprint and wood to flesh and bone. It provides a good consistent medium to test. However, at some point velocity does matter especially in big heavy boned animals such as buffalo and elephant especially on a raking shot.

RIP on AR noted the same findings, his description was a little more technical.

"A thought about boards (linear function resistance, LFR) mixed in with waterbuckets, wetpack, or SIM-TEST (exponential function resistance, EFR) as regards to response to velocity of the penetrating bullet and loss of resolving power of the test medium: LFR on the entrance end of the SimBA (simulated buffalo apparatus) contrbutes little to stopping the bullet, relative to its effectiveness in halting the bullet in the terminal/low velocity end of the SimBA. EFR provides much more resistance on the high velocity end, and less on the terminal end, thus allowing better resolution of difference in penetration, rather than having the LFR stop two close competitors at the same apparent distance, "hitting the wall.""

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Not too many moons ago Ross Seyfried kill a Cape Buffalo with the 450 Wesley Richards express I believe a 480 grain hard cast at about 1400 FPS bullet exited. One shot kill, certainly seems to prove it was adequate.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I said previously that JD Jones killed a bunch of buffalo proving out his .375 JDJ. He tried to talk me into going with him and Mark Hampton to northern Australia to cull water buffalo and banteng in the thick, nasty stuff, but that was not for me. I don't remember what the final tally was for that trip, but he proved that in his hands he could dispatch buffalo quiet well. He took Cape buffalo and elephant on another trip to Zim, I believe it was.

Just because JD Jones could do it and did not suffer any dire consequences doesn't make it a wise endeavor. JD practiced a lot, and was on a mission to prove and publicize his hardware.

Karamojo Bell executed over a thousand elephant, a majority of them with a 7 X 57 or .303 Lee Enfield. He was a crack shot, a super expert hunter, and had open conditions to pick and choose his shot.

Just because they did their thing, doesn't make it smart for Joe Schmow to emulate those feats of daring.

So does it count only if you do it? Counts more in my book IF you analyze and critique the results honestly. In my analysis I come up with DG handgunning for JD is fine, for Hatari and other novices it's dumb.

This is how you will know. After you've taken enough buffalo to lose your intitial fear of them, say 4 or 5, with a PH and a "recommended" caliber, pick your round and gun of choice and go hunting bachelor bulls in the think bush without your PH or have your PH leave his rifle in the vehicle. At that point, the safety of the group is all on you. Do you feel adequately armed?

I've had enough hunt with a couple of PH's that they would let me do the final stalk on unsuspecting bulls without them in my hip pocket, but carefully observing from a good vantage point near by (armed). It is a completely different emotion when you are "alone". I felt more secure with a double rifle in in a Nitro Express chambering my hands.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I guess by your reasoning Phil Shoemaker must be an idiot because he has posted numerous times that the 30-06 is perfectly adequate for big bears. In fact he even still uses it himself at times still.

I never mentioned bears (or Phil) but maybe he could grace us with his presence and comment, but it seems I recollect him carrying bigger guns and the central question is "what gun/caliber does he prefer as a stopper?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Not too many moons ago Ross Seyfried kill a Cape Buffalo with the 450 Wesley Richards express I believe a 480 grain hard cast at about 1400 FPS bullet exited. One shot kill, certainly seems to prove it was adequate.

So did Selous! still does that mean it's on the same level as it's smokeless counterpart the 450NE 3 1/4"? not hardly.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

To illustrate the difference Whitworth shot a hog with his 416 Remington with a 300 grain TSX at 2900 FPS, the amount of damage was far greater than any of his or my handgun kills. The amazing part and to illustrate my point he ran farther than any that either of us has had ever with a handgun and left absolutely no blood trail despite the massive exit.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

So did Selous! still does that mean it's on the same level as it's smokeless counterpart the 450NE 3 1/4"? not hardly.

True but it is also obvious that it was adequate.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

and as i keep pointing out adiquate only is until it isnt....im guessing if you were out in the bush by yourself you wouldnt be packing a 45-70 or handgun.....what you do with backup is a hell of alot different than by yourself.....which is why Shoemaker says a 30-06 is perfectly fine for a HUNTER in his camp, when it comes time to sort out a bear in the alder he seems to be carrying a 458 Win or 505 Gibbs or similar....at those times he sure doesnt seem to think the 30-06 is perfectly adequate and thats the lil fact that keeps going over your head....i would go hunting for griz with Phil packing a 30-06, but like Phil, if i was in his shoes ild be packing something more massive as back up....

please tell me what PH's are using "just adequate" ....for phugs sake ive never said any of these wont kill a critter, ive never even said i wouldnt use them, i only said "just adequate" doesnt work when you leave the hunter role and step into the PH role where peoples lives rely on the stopping power of your rifle...

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Then the various 500's aren't adequate by your standards since they have failed to stop charges as well.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

"adequate" is not an adjective I would employ when going in my Rules Of Engagement... But to illustrate I have at least some credibility in the subject at hand, here are two comparably sized animals (weight-sise anyway). This one I shot with a 45-100 and a 480gr bullet @ 1300 fps, DRT, all four legs up in the air when I came of recoil:

[Linked Image]

And this one with a 416 Rigby 400gr Aframe @2400 fps , first shot broke shoulder and took out his heart, only nobody told the buffalo so I gave him two more:

[Linked Image]

Clearly both were "adequate", now would I use the 110 on a Cape Buffalo? yep, it's adequate, but for follow up in close? NFW.. And there is the crux of the discussion, "adequate" and more than adequate...

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

and as i keep pointing out adiquate only is until it isnt....im guessing if you were out in the bush by yourself you wouldnt be packing a 45-70 or handgun.....what you do with backup is a hell of alot different than by yourself.....which is why Shoemaker says a 30-06 is perfectly fine for a HUNTER in his camp, when it comes time to sort out a bear in the alder he seems to be carrying a 458 Win or 505 Gibbs or similar....at those times he sure doesnt seem to think the 30-06 is perfectly adequate and thats the lil fact that keeps going over your head....i would go hunting for griz with Phil packing a 30-06, but like Phil, if i was in his shoes ild be packing something more massive as back up....

please tell me what PH's are using "just adequate" ....for phugs sake ive never said any of these wont kill a critter, ive never even said i wouldnt use them, i only said "just adequate" doesnt work when you leave the hunter role and step into the PH role where peoples lives rely on the stopping power of your rifle...

Watch the Mark Sullivan videos where he is stopping charges with a 600 nitro he drops them like a lead weight until he misses the brain and they continue the charge. Body shot have little effect on wounded buffalo. He fires the second barrel and connects with the brain and yells "ah [bleep]" and barely gets out of the way as the buffalo crashes past.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Jorge you have plenty of credibility with me, we just have different experiences is all. The discussion as I took it is adequate for the open post to use to hunt with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We are back to the "kill vs. stop" debate. Sooner or later somebody is going to say "shot placement is everything," and it is.

Off hand, I can say I've killed either Cape buffalo or NW Red buffalo with an 8mm Magnum (wildcat), .338 WM, 9.3 JDJ, 9.3 X 62, .450/400 NE, .45 Win Mag and .450 No. 2 NE. The lesser powered of the cartridges all resulted in one shot kills.

Further examination reveals that shot placement was the critical factor in the lesser powered cartridge's success. 8mm Mag - brain shot. 9.3 JDJ - high shoulder and .45 MW the same. The 8mm Mag used a 200 grain Nosler Partition, the 9.3 JDJ was an original Barnes X, and the .45 WM was a custom Barnes monolithic solid.

I could draw any number of conclusions from this sample:

- 8mm Mag with soft points is good enough for buffalo
- 9.3 JDJ out of an SSK handgun is a great buffalo killer
- the .45 Win Mag out of a carbine will take anything on Earth
- softpoints are the best
- expanding monoliths are the best
- solids are the only way to go

Since I've used multiple shots on buff with the 9.3 X 62, and the .450/400 I could deduce:

- the 9.3 is not sufficient to kill buffalo
- the .450/400 is marginal for buffalo
- anything lighter than the .450 No.2 is inadequate for buffalo.
- solids are NOT the way to go
- expanding bullets are the best
- expanding bullets suck on DG

None of these by themselves are accurate or tell the whole story. There is a reason that Game Departments have developed minimum standards for hunting dangerous game. Cartridges below the standard caused too many problems. you can argue that bullets are better these days and you can try to argue that these standards are outdated, but you won't get many experienced PH's to jump on your side.

The 7.62 X 39 has probably killed more buffalo in the past 40 years than all other calibers combined. AK-47 armed troops and thugs cleared out large areas of Moz and Angola poaching to feed themselves. Just because it worked in their hands doesn't make it a sound round to recommend.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=jwp475][quote=jorgeI][quote=jwp475]

Clearly both were "adequate", now would I use the 110 on a Cape Buffalo? yep, it's adequate, but for follow up in close? NFW.. And there is the crux of the discussion, "adequate" and more than adequate...

Jorge, I don't understand how you came to the conclusion that the .45/100 was adequate, yet not adequate for stopping work. By your own admission, the .45/100 put that bull bison down like a bolt of lightning. So why isn't it "more than adequate?" Not trying to be combative, but without a CNS shot, a determined animal is not likely to break off a charge/attack. A CNS shot requires enough penetration to kill the CNS. Anything less than that could be deemed inadequate, but surely, if the big bullet can get there and then some, it is adequate, is it not?

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Whiworth: The Bison took a CNS shot and was unalerted, the Cape did not and was alerted after the first shot (broken shoulder) so there's that. A charging buffalo or elephant is an entire proposition (and Hatari has I think eloquently address this) and in my opinion a 110 is WOEFULLY inadequate (in a charge, not to mention the single shot) and at 1300 fps, it just does't carry the freight. There are no guarantees ANY NE cartridge is 100% effective, but in my view I want all the punch I can get and there's just no comparison when the two calibers are compared.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Ganyana
one of us
posted May 6, 2:31 AM Hide Post
Another example of why never to use a solid for the first shot on buff- On one of the culls a local farmer was using a 416 Rigby - with kynock ammo. When the dust settled, the farmers went home to a G&T and the government types got to do the follow ups of wounded animals that had escaped. I followed up a big bull, which was leaving only scatered faint blood spoor.

4 hrs later I faced a charge in thick scrub and only dropped the bull a few meters from me. I cut it open to find out what had gone wrong since there was a hole dead centre in the chest, and I couldn't belive that the buff had gone so far. The heart and lungs were undamaged. The bullet had slipped between them, pushing blood vessels etc asside. Even the bruising was very moderate. I recovered the bullet in the small intestines. A soft would have ripped open a channel in both lungs and may well have cut the aurta that the solid brushed asside.

Solids on Buff? For a free state heart shot by the PH, perhaps. I don't. I back my clients with a soft (althogh these days with the double I usually load one of each). For a client, or a citizen hunter? Never. Even an indiferent soft beats a great solid.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Then the various 500's aren't adequate by your standards since they have failed to stop charges as well.

but their success rate is higher than the lighter stuff.....which is why a hell of alot of PH's that start with the 375H&H or 458 Win Mag move to heaier guns as they gain experience not lighter.....the number of PH's that use a 375H&H for their stopper against buff is aweful damn small compared to those that use more.....by your thinking the opposite should be true if there was merit to your way of thinking....

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

N E 450 No2
one of us
posted May 6, 1:29 AM Hide Post
I have killed a few cape buff.
The only one that was a one shot kill was with my 9,3x74R with a 286gr Woodleigh Soft.

I did have a 286 Woodleigh Solid in the left bbl, but I was only able to get off the one shot.

The buff was down and dead in less than 40 yards.

I do consider the 9,3's, and the 375 H&H to be a little light for buff, but well handled they work great.

Badly handled even a 600 Nitro will get you some drama.

If I was hunting buff with a 9,3x62 bolt rifle I would have my Soft of choice in the chamber, and back it up with Solids in the Magazine.

I have used the 286gr Woodleigh Softs and Solids in my 9,3x74R on game from turkeys and caracel to giraffe, buff and elephant, with excellent results.

I see no reason why the 300gr Swift would not be a great Soft for the 9,3x62 bolt rifle.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Ganyana
one of us
posted May 6, 2:01 AM Hide Post
Always a soft! There is never a reason to initiate a buffalo hunt with a solid. I used a 9,3x62 on most of the buffalo erradication culls in Western Zimbabwe. A 9,3 solid makes a very small hole in a buffs heart and it can go a darn long way with such a hole. A flat nosed solid like a barnes banded will help, but... Buff heart shot with a Norma or Kynock solid would sometimes go 1-2 km. Hit through the lungs is even worse. I followed up a buff that had taken a .375 solid through both lungs - and it was full of fight 12 hrs later when we caught up with it.

For the culls I quickly settled on Norma soft points, or even RWS TUG's. They got the job done just fine. Today I use Ken Stuarts 286grn flat nosed soft points - but the swift A frame is a very good bullet. Much better than I had on the culls!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

juanpozzi
one of us

posted Nov 7, 9:24 PM Hide Post
Im a good friend of ganyana and lately we have been hunting together ,with his trusty 9.3x62 mauser ,i can said that he has more experience on cape buffalo than any other living ph so if he states that the 9.3x62 is adecuate please trust him .juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar
DRSS-DSC-SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Saeed
Administrator
posted Nov 6, 11:54 PM Hide Post
I have not read the article, and certainly do not have Ganyana's experience with buffalo.

However, having hunted buffalo for many years, and seen many buffalo shot by others. Buffalo are NOT bullet proof!

The FIRST shot is most important, and where it is placed, not the size of the bullet or the energy level it generates.

A well placed 308 Winchester bullet is much better than a magazine full of 577 T.Rex marginally placed.

www.accuratereloading.com

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

465H&H
one of us
posted Nov 18, 12:03 PM Hide Post
Hitting the charging buff in the right place with with a good bullet is the key to stopping a charge. Big calibers and bullets only marginally help your case if you don't hit the right place. Two weeks ago while I was at Charissa chaseing tuskless eles, a PH named Stockhill at Sengwa Researcsh Area next door failed to place two big bullets from his 500 double in the right place on a charging cow buff and ended up in the hospital for his efforts. Luckily, he was only very badly bruised as the cow didn't gore him but only pounded him.

465H&H

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
This post by Ganyana sums up my position quite well.

Ganyana
one of us
posted Dec 2, 12:28 AM Hide Post

As for real world experience - personal tally so far with my 7.62 Nato - over 100 buffalo, and two elephant. With a 9,3x62 41 one shot kills on buff and six elephant. One wounded elephant dropped cleanly with my 7x57.

Failures on elephant 2- one with a .458 and one with a .458 Lott. (Bullet failure and compressed powder trouble - animals finished off with something smaller.)

Used a .375 for buff for a short while with every satisfaction.

That said, a .505 gibbs flattens a buffalo so much more spectacularly than a .375 you have to see it to appreciate it.

On our elephant culls (which I attended as the research officer) a .470 .500NE, or even a .458 Lott putts an elephant down so much more quickly than even a regular .458. In thick cover, where you may easily only be able to see for a shot at a range of a couple of paces, the margin of safety offered by a big bore is very significant.

Also, the culling officers started with a heavy to ensure that thelead cows went down for sure and then swithched to a .30 cal for the rest. Out of 16000 elephant, Clem recons he has shot 7-800 with a big bore and the rest with a .30-06 or a 7.62x54R, but if you need an animal down for sure, use a big bore.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is that you Juan?

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
John,

Basically your are spamming the board with comments from another forum that fit your agenda. I can post quotes galore from people I respect more than the ones you listed with different opinions.

The original question was will it work. The answer is yes.

I can assure you of one thing as long as I am paying for my own safaris I will carry what I think is best. And as long as somebody ask a question I will answer it based on MY experience.

I have never commented on what it takes to kill a brown bear in Alaska because I have never hunted one.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
This post by Ganyana sums up my position quite well.

Ganyana
one of us
posted Dec 2, 12:28 AM Hide Post

As for real world experience - personal tally so far with my 7.62 Nato - over 100 buffalo, and two elephant. With a 9,3x62 41 one shot kills on buff and six elephant. One wounded elephant dropped cleanly with my 7x57.

Failures on elephant 2- one with a .458 and one with a .458 Lott. (Bullet failure and compressed powder trouble - animals finished off with something smaller.)

Used a .375 for buff for a short while with every satisfaction.

That said, a .505 gibbs flattens a buffalo so much more spectacularly than a .375 you have to see it to appreciate it.

On our elephant culls (which I attended as the research officer) a .470 .500NE, or even a .458 Lott putts an elephant down so much more quickly than even a regular .458. In thick cover, where you may easily only be able to see for a shot at a range of a couple of paces, the margin of safety offered by a big bore is very significant.

Also, the culling officers started with a heavy to ensure that thelead cows went down for sure and then swithched to a .30 cal for the rest. Out of 16000 elephant, Clem recons he has shot 7-800 with a big bore and the rest with a .30-06 or a 7.62x54R, but if you need an animal down for sure, use a big bore.

You may want to read the whole quote.

"On our elephant culls (which I attended as the research officer) a .470 .500NE, or even a .458 Lott putts an elephant down so much more quickly than even a regular .458."

I shudder to think what he thinks about a 45-70 if the Lott is that much better than the 458 Win.

"In thick cover, where you may easily only be able to see for a shot at a range of a couple of paces, the margin of safety offered by a big bore is very significant."

This is what several of us have been saying all along.

"but if you need an animal down for sure, use a big bore."

Really?? That is what we have been saying.

And I can assure you he is not referring to a 45-70 as a big bore.

Last edited by Mike70560; 09/10/14.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I did read all and I do not disagree with any of it. He has pretty of experience to have a valid point of view. My contention this entire thread is that the 470 Turnbull will. You will also notice that some failures that he points out were with traditional big bore and the failure were because of missed vital and poor bullets, which is what I have said repeatedly.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Completely agree on NOT using solids on buff.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
The discussion or argument of what is adequate or the "best" has raged for years, it even predates the internet, Nyschens, Taylor, Bell, Selby, Sutherland all had different viewpoints on what was best.

Most, but not all, PH's are not gun or bullet enthusiasts. They use what works. I have hunted Tanzania, Mozambique, and Zimbabwe, all with Zim PHs, all dangerous game hunts. I have only seen one 375 H&H in camp for a PH. The remaining ones carried mostly 458 Wins or Lotts, 470 and 500 Doubles, the odd 416 Rigby, and one had a 505 Gibbs in a George Gibbs rifle. Ammo ranged from new Federal and Hornady to Kynochs that appeared to be older than me. I can assure you there is not a PH that I ever met that would carry a 45-70 rifle or a pistol on the job. Bigger will work better, you still have to the animal correctly, but there is no substitution for horsepower or reliability on large dangerous game.

375 or 9.3 is the minimum dangerous game caliber in most countries with varying requirements for energy, mostly around 4000 ft. lbs. I guess exceptions are made for pistols. Client rifles in camp tend to be 375-416-458s or doubles 470 or 500s.

Client and PH responsibilities are different. I have always taken the view when choosing a firearm for a DG hunt that I would be doing the hunt on my own with no backup. After being charged by elephants in close cover and having been around some very upset buffalo I can assure you I would not carry a 45-70. Buffalo are tough if not hit correctly on the first shot. I do not know why, but they are. Several PHs have been killed in the last couple of years following up wounded buffalo, including some very experienced ones.

Another issue to keep in mind is bringing a hot rod round from 50 degree weather in Montana to 105 degree weather in Zimbabwe could be problematic. I like the extra case capacity and low pressures of the Nitro rounds.

I am a bullet whore and do love the new designs from North fork and CEB. The add another level of performance to any round.

My opinion on this subject differs from people I respect. At the end of the day we all kill or game and hopefully enjoy doing it. A lot of this is mental masturbation.

I need to go reload and practice some shooting. There is an elephant and buffalo that need killing in the near future.

I was kind of waiting for someone to bring up the 9.3x62 and 375 H&H. I am having trouble reconciling the supposed superiority of these cartridges over a hot loaded 45-70.

You would be lucky to crack 2400 fps with a 286 gr. bullet with the 9.3, yet guys are breaking 2400 with a 300 gr. in a 45-70.
Sectional density of the smaller bore of course is better. But the bigger bore with a good metplat will cut a bigger hole.

With the .375 and a 300 gr. bullet and at 2600 fps vs. a 45-70 pushing a 400 at 1950, the momentum is nearly identical.

I think out of the 3, I would lean toward the 45-70 handloaded with a 400 gr. cast with a good flat nose.

Those numbers could be improved more yet with even stronger gun. The Baikal double is interesting. But I would prefer the lever still. It would be interesting to compare the actual accumulated foot pounds, or momentum in a timed fire exercise over 3 seconds or 5 maybe with the lever action vs. a double and a bolt.

Wondering if the OP considered a .50 Alaskan? I think I would like the B&M version of the cartridge just for wider variety of bullets available. And either can throw a 525 at 1850. What's wrong with that?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was kind of waiting for someone to bring up the 9.3x62 and 375 H&H. I am having trouble reconciling the supposed superiority of these cartridges over a hot loaded 45-70.

Hundreds of thousands of dead Cape buffalo over the past 100 years can attest to the effectiveness of those two rounds. They work time and time again and they have left little to argue about. There is theory and then there is practice. I have no doubt that a hot 45-70 will do the job when the conditions are right. I leave it to you to test it out under all circumstances and report back.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by hatari

Hundreds of thousands of dead Cape buffalo over the past 100 years can attest to the effectiveness of those two rounds. They work time and time again and they have left little to argue about. There is theory and then there is practice. I have no doubt that a hot 45-70 will do the job when the conditions are right. I leave it to you to test it out under all circumstances and report back.

It works because it always worked? Well ok then, that's all I need to know I guess... Here I thought I would hear some thought provoking rumination of bullet performance.

So how did people know it would work before they tried it?

How are you deciding that the cartridge loaded to the same energies won't work? Or only if ideal conditions? Seams like a pretty arbitrary line to me. If there is a reason, I would like to hear why.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Since you quoted my post I will attempt to explain.

First of all I never said the 375 or 9.3 were superior to anything, I said they met minimum requirements.

I do believe a 375 H&H topped with a 2-8 power scope is an ideal plainsgame rifle when hunting in a dangerous game area. A 300 grain bullet loaded to 2400-2500 FPS is flat shooting enough for an average shooter to take a 200-300 yard shot with ease and meets the minimum requirements for dangerous game. I have shot two buffalo with a 375. One required follow up and I put it down with my 470, another ran about 75 yards and piled up. While I know it works, it would not be my choice for elephant. One very important item to note is a 375 loaded to 24-2500 FPS is well within the pressures for which it was designed, even with today's brass and copper monolithic bullets.

I like the 45-70. With iron sights it is great primitive weapon for deer hunting in our state. I also never said the 45-70 or 470 Turnbull would not work in Africa. Also I will never argue that a 400 grain bullet at 1950 FPS will not work, although I think it is on the minimum end of the spectrum, especially in 45 caliber. It also misses the legal energy requirement by quite a bit. (so does the 9.3) My 450-400 3 1/4" shoots a 400 grain bullet at 2150 FPS and I would use it in Africa in a second, especially with CEB or NF bullets.

I am a bullet whore. I love the monolithic solids, TSX, CEB non-cons, etc. These bullets are loooooong, My concern, and it is MY concern, is reliability. I would not bring to Africa any hot rod round shooting way out of the parameters for which it was originally designed, especially for dangerous game. Pushing a 400 grain monolithic solid at 1900 FPS in 105 degree weather out of a 45-70 is asking for trouble IMO. I do test my equipment before leaving. I would have to check my round count but IIRC I have about 7-800 rounds through my 470 Nitro double testing bullets, testing reliability, and practicing. I really do believe in trusting my equipment.

All that being said I have lusted over one of Turnbull's 475s for a couple of years. I would love to hunt bison with one and would not hesitate to use it on Cape buffalo. I actually think it would be a fun hunt.

Last edited by Mike70560; 09/12/14.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

First of all I never said the 375 or 9.3 were superior to anything, I said they met minimum requirements.

I do believe a 375 H&H topped with a 2-8 power scope is an ideal plainsgame rifle when hunting in a dangerous game area. A 300 grain bullet loaded to 2400-2500 FPS is flat shooting enough for an average shooter to take a 200-300 yard shot with ease and meets the minimum requirements for dangerous game. I have shot two buffalo with a 375. One required follow up and I put it down with my 470, another ran about 75 yards and piled up. While I know it works, it would not be my choice for elephant. One very important item to note is a 375 loaded to 24-2500 FPS is well within the pressures for which it was designed, even with today's brass and copper monolithic bullets.

I like the 45-70. With iron sights it is great primitive weapon for deer hunting in our state. I also never said the 45-70 or 470 Turnbull would not work in Africa. Also I will never argue that a 400 grain bullet at 1950 FPS will not work, although I think it is on the minimum end of the spectrum, especially in 45 caliber. It also misses the legal energy requirement by quite a bit. (so does the 9.3) My 450-400 3 1/4" shoots a 400 grain bullet at 2150 FPS and I would use it in Africa in a second, especially with CEB or NF bullets.

I am a bullet whore. I love the monolithic solids, TSX, CEB non-cons, etc. These bullets are loooooong, My concern, and it is MY concern, is reliability. I would not bring to Africa any hot rod round shooting way out of the parameters for which it was originally designed, especially for dangerous game. Pushing a 400 grain monolithic solid at 1900 FPS in 105 degree weather out of a 45-70 is asking for trouble IMO. I do test my equipment before leaving. I would have to check my round count but IIRC I have about 7-800 rounds through my 470 Nitro double testing bullets, testing reliability, and practicing. I really do believe in trusting my equipment.

All that being said I have lusted over one of Turnbull's 475s for a couple of years. I would love to hunt bison with one and would not hesitate to use it on Cape buffalo. I actually think it would be a fun hunt.

Good post and spot on.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks jwp475.

The forums are supposed to be fun. Hunting is definitely fun. I enjoy every minute in the field no matter where or what I am hunting.

Hunt with what makes you happy. There is one caveat to that statement. When you are hunting DG you do have some responsibility to the PH, trackers, and game scouts. Wounded dangerous game caused by either bad shooting, poor bullet choice, admiring the shot instead of continuing to shoot, poor rifle or cartridge selection can get somebody killed or injured. In 2012 several PHs were hurt and two were killed by buffalo wounded by their client. I hunted late season in 2012 and I could see a little difference in the PHs in the way they approached hunting.

Some areas are much more difficult to hut than others and early season presents problems with heavy cover. Choose wisely, practice often, and most of all have fun.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T

Ok, that's a fair answer. The way it was put by another member was as if the two medium bore cartridges were head and shoulders above.

I am not sure what the minimum is, as all kinds of things seem to make it, and some of it seems to be discretionary.

I do not view the foot pounds measurement as a very good yard stick. I have no idea what it would take to stop it, but a 700 gr. bullet going 1600 fps comes in under the 4000 ft./lb. mark! smirk

FWIW I have seen data for a 400 gr. at 2130 out of a Marlin; not sure I entirely believe it though. Especially out of my rifle!

Nice choice for a rifle!

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
The guy in this link hunts in Zambia. He was living in the States. I almost booked my first hunt with him, but could not get a high level of confidence with him.

It does seem he has successfully hunted with the lever guns.

One of his articles he discusses hunting elephant with NF cup point solids. That I will never understand, even if he killed an elephant with one.

http://fortyfiveseventy.com/2014/04/27/african-guide-gun-matched-set/

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Concur Mike. The Cup Point is NOT a SOLID. The "even if he killed an elephant with one" is not a valid argument on his part. I have no doubt he did it, just as I have no doubt it's been done with spears and while on the subject, liked your previous post very much. j

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"There are still a few of us graybeards left in the state, however, who are unwilling to sacrifice the marginal advantage offered by our .416s and 458s. When dealing with dangerous game as large, impressively quick and intelligent as brown bears any advantage can mean the difference between hiring a taxidermist or a surgeon. As anyone who has experience in mortal combat or even a dust-up on the school yard can tell you, stunning or dropping your adversary a fraction of a second quicker or keeping them down a second longer can be a tremendous advantage. It is the best I can offer to describe the elusive big-bore "knockdown power that hunters, soldiers and ballistitians have striven so long to quantify, and for the reason for the continual fascination of powerful, large-bore rifles."

'Buffalo is the one species where you can use a rifle that possesses real stopping power. Hit them with a .500 Jeffery or 505 Gibbs, and they will stop, even if the shot isnt instantly fatal. It is quite impressive to see the way they rear up on taking a hit with a good soft point from one of these rounds. However, I have never seen a 470 Nitro Express or 458 Lott be any more effective than my 9.3.

Generally clients are advised to bring a 375 H&H, as they are most likely to shoot this better than something bigger, and then the PH doesnt have to shoot their game for them. Without a doubt a well placed first shot negates the need for stopping power. For the PH, though, the choice isnt always obvious. A few of us have always used a relatively smallbore-a 9.3 or 375- but most have gone to the 458 Lott. I can see no advantage in this, however as i get older (and slower) and the ammunition supply has greatly improved, I am having a good look at the Blaser R8 in 500 Jeffery."

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Rattler,

Who wrote the above quote?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
two quotes from two people....top paragraph is Phil Shoemaker, the bottom two are 'Ganyana'

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Ganyana (Don Heath) also wrote this:

"On our elephant culls (which I attended as the research officer) a .470 .500NE, or even a .458 Lott putts an elephant down so much more quickly than even a regular .458. In thick cover, where you may easily only be able to see for a shot at a range of a couple of paces, the margin of safety offered by a big bore is very significant."

Here he states a 458 Lott puts an elephant down much more quickly than a 458Win. But in the quote above there is no difference between a 9.3 and a 458 Lott.

Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i just copied verbatim out of a recent article of his entitled 'Stopping Power' in a Wolfe publication

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I will not say I know Ganyana, but we met at one of the shows. He is/was a fully licensed Professional Hunter in Zimbabwe.

The seemingly contradictory quotes show even the expert writers cannot always agree, even with their self.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i enjoy his writing. wish there was more in the states.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GRF
Gentlemen;

Thanks again

GRF

So GRF, now that you most likely have way more information than you probably ever thought you would get or need, when are you sending the Marlin off for conversion?

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
GRF Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Paladin; I have enjoyed the great variety of opinions and perspectives. One statements that resonates was the one about speaking with the PH that you will be hunting with.

Should I close the business I need to for the buffalo hunt to become a reality I will then go about finalizing the outfitter / PH. Once that is done I will discuss rifle optiobs with him

Thanks to all who participated in the conversation, I learned a good deal

Thanks GRF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
These threads are always entertaining, speaking lever rifles the c.o.a.l. length is always a major concern.

That being the case, bullets of 500 grains plus or minus a bit are used from .458" to .512", my '86 Turnbull 50-110 WCF fires 525 gr WFNGC bullets at 1855 fps, my old Marlin Cowboy in 45-70 threw a 525 gr Beartooth piledriver to 1755 fps.

Of like construction, bullets from the 45-70 will out penetrate the larger bores, bullet SD is still king when all things metallurgical and velocity are matched.

IMHO, once you reach .458" there isn't a critter alive that will know the difference.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe you guys should come up with some agreed upon definitions of words or phrases before these threads carry on.

Example:

Killing
Stopping
blood trail
Sport hunting
Poaching/ culling ( as in the case of Bell)

Then there is the hype in Marketing a product, wow that gets things way off track!

The definitions of stopping power or recreational hunting power is being confused with another mans opinion of those same events.

I've been with this business 22 years now in person up close and directly involved. I've seen 1000's of animals harvested by every type of archery handgun rifle black powder, and knife!

The circumstances involved in most of the animals shot differ from one to the next. Enough that there is not consistent scientific capacity to compare or evaluate them equally against one another. Angles, distance, temperatures, elevations, etc etc.

There are some consistencies that remain when you strip away the emotion, the unique or odd situations, or for sure the brand loyalty.

Those consistencies are oddly still the same today as they were 100 years ago.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,614 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,571
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.