Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RealityCheque
Zeiss is exceptional in observation(bino's/spotters),but bottom rung in POA/POI correlations(rifle scopes).

Stick,

Out of curiosity and clarity, is that your experience with the Victory Diavari/Varipoint or with the Conquest line?

I have a handful of Diavari's, but admittedly haven't had aftermarket turrets installed. I've just zeroed and left alone. Has worked well for feral hogs. Especially with the illuminated reticle.

The Swarovski's I picked up recently have been pissing me off. The two Z6 scopes with turrets on hand have been absolutely horrible in regards to POA/POI.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If she only had an inkling.(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fenced Forays are a "Test" of nothing,other than how low a Texan will reliably stoop and concoct excuses.

SWFA is based in Texas, IIRC? smile

I might give one a whirl, since both you & MD are saying they are a good buy for the money.

6x, or 3-9 for a 7mm-08 Montana?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Larry, you are a very poor salesman.

Oh, I dunno, I think Leupold, McMillan, SWFA, Ingram, and a handful of others would disagree.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sir,

The Zeiss strength is in gawking at schit and that's it. They are no peach in Creature Comforts,let alone POA/POI correlations,nor eye-relief or ease of acquisition.

Swaro is Teutonic for "JUNK" and they've never shown me a thing.

Now if/when application DEMANDS illumination,you just gotta do,what you gotta do. Have mentioned more than a few times,that the 6x MQ with 1/10Mil center illumination(only),would be a wicked good bastard for stopping heartbeats.

There are no shooting hour mandates in my A/O and I've some serious 6x42 LOVE there.

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Spanish Rent is cheaper.

100% Economics.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've seen me bolster the economy,in non-lineal ways.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Working on that post count, I see, Larry. Good job. Can't wait until you're back to 'imagine' and 'pretend', if you aren't there already.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The name can change, but the sub 4ft, Uncle Fester looking, drunken, narcotic infestation lives on.......

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never found the transition from bino's to 'scope,to be anything other than seamless.

After you've tasted the ability to slip a bullet wherever you wish,from spitting distances,to multiple zipcodes away...it is simply IMPOSSIBLE to go backwards and refrain such bolstered connect percentages.

Zeiss is exceptional in observation(bino's/spotters),but bottom rung in POA/POI correlations(rifle scopes).

The transition from bino's to rifle is usually seamless, except when it isn't..We don't have the latitude of an antlerless deer season so we have to be able to accurately sex each animal before pulling the trigger..

The video clip below off Youtube shows a typical Roe stalking scenario up on the Scottish borders. "Culling" is a more appropriate term as usually you are shooting to a management/cull plan for the ground, and under pressure to get numbers in from a limited number of visits.

That's a doe with two kids. Wind forward a few months and it will be winter and those kids won't be too much smaller than mum.

One of the kids will be a buck with antlers about the size of your knuckle, and despite glassing first, you still need to be able to establish which is which through the scope just as your about to pull the trigger.

And you won't usually be several zip codes away either. Most will be taken within 100m and in this context 150m would be a long shot.

The style of shooting your talking about would be much more appropriate to stalking Red deer out on the open hill above the tree line. That's where your approach/ expertise/equipment would pay dividends.

I am the first to admit a fancy scope is often a crutch; I was thinking back to then I was in my 20's and was shooting an open sighed SLR at ranges that today I'd want a good scope for..

For all my faults I am a realist, and I have settled what works for me in my circumstances..I don't claim "its the best" nor do I close my mind to what others use, but I am broadly happy with the kit I have and my ability to kill deer with it..

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have mentioned more than a few times,that the 6x MQ with 1/10Mil center illumination(only),would be a wicked good bastard for stopping heartbeats.

Illumination would be a nice option for SWFA to explore. As well as offering their Super Chickens sans bugs on the windshield.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe somebody can answer me a question. We no longer get the SWFA line of scopes imported over here, least not under their own name.

However, I have been told one of our big wholesalers, Edgar Bros, imports some of the line and rebrands them..Does the scope below look like the 10x42mm SWFA offering you guys are talking about?

Edgar Bros 10x42

In the past I think it was offered with Mil turrets, although they only seem to list 1/4MOA on that web page..

Edited to add they also do a 20x42mm scope of a very similar spec...

Last edited by Pete E; 09/08/14.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Pete E
Maybe somebody can answer me a question. We no longer get the SWFA line of scopes imported over here, least not under their own name.

However, I have been told one of our big wholesalers, Edgar Bros, imports some of the line and rebrands them..Does the scope below look like the 10x42mm SWFA offering you guys are talking about?

Edgar Bros 10x42

In the past I think it was offered with Mil turrets, although they only seem to list 1/4MOA on that web page..

yep, that "appears" to be it. If mil-dot reticle, it'll have moa knobs. that one has side focus, over here they're also sold with rear parallax adjustment, which I've come to prefer on a fixed power.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
RDFinn Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If they were, I'd imagine SWFA would have a [bleep] fit. From what I understand the SS are proprietary designs exclusive for SWFA and with contracts accordingly. These weren't just thrown together from a spare parts bin.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
Originally Posted by Pete E

Edgar Bros 10x42

yep, that "appears" to be it. If mil-dot reticle, it'll have moa knobs. that one has side focus, over here they're also sold with rear parallax adjustment, which I've come to prefer on a fixed power.

The 20x42mm below definitely has the rear parallax adjustment:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDFinn
If they were, I'd imagine SWFA would have a [bleep] fit. From what I understand the SS are proprietary designs exclusive for SWFA and with contracts accordingly. These weren't just thrown together from a spare parts bin.

EB are probably the biggest importer/wholesaler for shooting kit in the UK, so are not likely to be doing anything underhand.

If anything, I think they might have an agreement to sell certain SWFA scopes rebranded to EB..They used to sell the 6x42mm, but discontinued that, although I have no idea why as it is probably the most useful all rounder..

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Damn.
Bloody limey super snipes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Generally, the discussions regarding the SWFA SS riflescopes revolve around the fixed 6x & 10x. I'm familiar with the fixed 10x as I've a couple on hand.

What about the variables? Specifically the 3-9x42mm and 3-15x42mm and their eye relief and eye box. How easy are they to get behind throughout their magnification range? Any case of tunnel vision (blackouts around the edges)?

Typically, fixed scopes are more robust than their variable counterparts. Any issues with the variables holding up and keeping POA/POI, or are they just as hella stout as the fixed Super Chickens?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have been running the SS 3x9x42 Mil-Q on and AR and another on a 243 AI. The AI version is now on another AR. I have no trouble at all with the eye box, love the reticle and like many others would like an illuminated version.

Tracking is spot on time and time again. IMO a great value for the $$$. I may try one of their 5.5-20's with illuminated reticle soon.

The onboard 10 mils + erector gives a guy ALOT of room to run.

RTA

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'm torn between a 6x42 Leupy with LRD or the SWFA. I have an older M8 6x42 that I love and have owned nothing but Leupold. Might have to give SWFA a try for my upcoming hunt.

I'm not a long range shooter or even one who would twist dials (I think).

Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1Longbow, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,430
Posts18,470,780
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.