-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ruger for me. Here's the .300WM Hawkeye I got this year. Ruger replaced the original stock free because it was a display model and had dings in it.

[Linked Image]

Nice trigger and shoots great.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ruger

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The stainless rugers with walnut stocks are pretty damn nice...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ruger

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Originally Posted by 79S
The stainless rugers with walnut stocks are pretty damn nice...

Call me crazy, but I like them too:

[Linked Image]

However, an EW in a good micky edge is pretty skookum too wink...:
[Linked Image]

The Ruger all weather isn't too bad in it's factory synthetic either:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
Ruger

You and coyote hunter shouldn't count in the voting process. You are both way too biased grin. I vote either Ruger 77 or Winchester model 70. Now what was the question again???

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Ruger

You and coyote hunter shouldn't count in the voting process. You are both way too biased grin. I vote either Ruger 77 or Winchester model 70. Now what was the question again???

LOL, I own 1 Winchester and I do like it. No rifle fits me as well as a Ruger 77 MKII or Hawkeye though. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Ruger stock has always had the best ergo's of any I've ever held. Subjective for many though.

I do like Ruger and probably wouldn't look elsewhere until they gave me a reason to.

Me

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ruger

LOL, I own 1 Winchester and I do like it. No rifle fits me as well as a Ruger 77 MKII or Hawkeye though. smile

Heath. You must be built like a baboon.... grin. Hope your football season goes great this year!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Thick chest, long arms, no neck describes me. smile

We are 4-0 so far. We will have a good test this week with 2 starters out against a good team so we will see.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Rugers made of cheap castings that require the action be beat on with a rubber hammer to straighten them at the factory(See Stuart Otteson) and they are shaped like a brick. The action is rough as cob and the rings almost always need to be lapped to prevent bad ring marks due to the actions being out of whack.
The winchester has a clubby stock, but is much better made.
I vote Winchester.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by BWalker
Rugers made of cheap castings that require the action be beat on with a rubber hammer to straighten them at the factory(See Stuart Otteson) and they are shaped like a brick. The action is rough as cob and the rings almost always need to be lapped to prevent bad ring marks due to the actions being out of whack.
I vote Winchester.

LMAO!!!!

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Savuti
Originally Posted by BWalker
I vote Winchester.

LMAO!!!!

I like both rifles for different reasons, but the above statement has me chuckling and giggling on the floor too.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a Classic stainless 30-06 and a Ruger MKII stainless .243 with a takeoff laminate stock with the same dimensions as a Hawkeye walnut stock. I'd take the Ruger. IF the plastic stocks have the same dimensions as a Hawkeye walnut/laminate that would be fine with me. If they don't I'd get the laminate stock (yes they are heavier). The M70 classic is smoother and has an adjustable trigger. With the new M70 trigger it doesn't have a real advantage other than being smoother IMO.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned both:

Winchester M70 EW in .308 Winchester purchased new in early 2010 was a great shooter, the action was as smooth as any rifle I've ever owned. The new MOA trigger was as close to perfect as possible. I wish I still had that one. I traded for a M70 EW in 7mm-08 in 2011. Not as smooth and nowhere near as accurate. The trigger was mushy at best and would not adjust to an acceptable level. I'm glad it's gone. I have witnessed another since then that had the same problems.

Ruger M77 Mark II Stainless rifles that I have owned, and there have been many, have all shot good enough for a hunting rifle and some have been exceptionally accurate. Almost all needed a little trigger work, which over the years I learned how to make the factory trigger work very well (in about thirty to forty-five minutes). I never had to bed the action to get them to shoot as long as I got the action screws properly torqued and relieved the mag box a little. I wish I still had one or two of those rifles.

Having said all the above, I am not a fan of the Hawkeye stainless (don't like the finish) but I would favor the Hawkeye or especially the Mark II by a large margin over the Extreme Weather. They are rock solid, have an open trigger that can be worked, have a better accuracy record (with me anyway) and were made in the USA by an American company. For what it's worth, there is my opinion..........

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never tried Winchester ended up with a Ruger and like it quite a bit. That rifle is built like a tank and should last a lifetime. It did require me to bed it and free float it before I got "great" results! I'm thoroughly happy with it.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Esox357; 09/08/14.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I think I'd take the Winchester. I like B&C stocks, and I like the fact that you can at least run sloped rails etc on a Winchester. With a Ruger you are pretty much stuck with their 0 MOA ring system. There have been a few aftermarket attempts at getting around the Ruger system, but they sit the scope up way too high.

If shooting long distance isn't your hobby, then I guess you could flip a coin.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Esox357
Never tried Winchester ended up with a Ruger and like it quite a bit. That rifle is built like a tank and should last a lifetime. It did require me to bed it and free float it before I got "great" results! I'm thoroughly happy with it.

[Linked Image]

esox, I'm glad to see you got that rifle shooting damn good. Well done!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'll bet the OP is really confused by now. This thread has a teeter totter effect whistle ..He's probably already bought a SS Rem 700 mountain rifle by now laugh

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll bet the OP is really confused by now. This thread has a teeter totter effect whistle ..He's probably already bought a SS Rem 700 mountain rifle by now laugh

Yeah, kinda like asking which is the better cartridge, 30-06 or .270........

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 17 invisible), 1,523 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,484
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.