Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah...

Can't compete with the Top Dog, just get along without being a lap dog or a kicking dog... cool

DF

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by CRS
DF,
Spot on!

Romantic notions usually do not stand up to real life experiences.

It takes a special kinda dog to run with an alpha dog. That dog, generally will be a supporter, one to cheer the alpha, to be there for the alpha without competing for center stage.

Not a real common dog...

DF

I spent a 12 day safari in Namibia with our own JB here�the modern day equivalent to a Keith or a JOC and he was a perfect gentleman throughout.And so was I�... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I wouldn't put JB in the same alpha dog class with JOC or Elmer. Seems to me, JB's a bit more mellow that those guys. I see him as competitive and confident, but not into himself enough to qualify for that league. Eileen may disagree... laugh

The ongoing feud between Elmer and JOC speaks a lot to their psychological profiles. You can throw Charlie Askins, Jr. into that mix. He and Elmer were tight, because the Sr. Askins got Elmer started as a gun writer and Charlie adored his Dad. Charlie accused JOC of blowing the whistle on Askins, Sr. As the old man became a bit senile, Jr., reportedly, was doing some ghost writing for him. Sr. was the highest paid gun writer in his day, so there was money on the table...

Alpha dog city... shocked

DF

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by ingwe
I can't believe that everyone is skirting the 'elephant in the room'.

No one has yet even mentioned how gay the .270 is...
I own 3-.270's and am quite happy with them. wink grin

I rest my case.

I wanted one but Fredericks didn't have any leopard thongs small enough to fit me. Any suggestions as to an alternate source?

NRA Endowment Member, Life since 1978
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BRoper
Yeah, Elmer new what he was talking about. He said he saw a jack rabbit shot with a .270, it scratched itself and ran off. He told more stories than most people ever heard. I've shot quite a few jack rabbits with a .270 myself, I know what it will do to a jackrabbit.

works pretty good on squirrels too

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I wouldn't put JB in the same alpha dog class with JOC or Elmer. Seems to me, JB's a bit more mellow that those guys. I see him as competitive and confident, but not into himself enough to qualify for that league. Eileen may disagree... laugh

The ongoing feud between Elmer and JOC speaks a lot to their psychological profiles. You can throw Charlie Askins, Jr. into that mix. He and Elmer were tight, because the Sr. Askins got Elmer started as a gun writer and Charlie adored his Dad. Charlie accused JOC of blowing the whistle on Askins, Sr. As the old man became a bit senile, Jr., reportedly, was doing some ghost writing for him. Sr. was the highest paid gun writer in his day, so there was money on the table...

DF

I certainly wouldn't compare JB to Elmer. John isn't full of crap.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like my .270

I like my .44 S&W

kudos & thanks to both Keith & O'Connor...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The JOC versus EK "feud" was beneficial for both of them. I'm sure both were aware of this. They didn't need to like each other, just to disagree in print.
I recall an article by a former Winchester employee who was present when JOC and EK met in person for the first time. The Winchester man was sweating bullets over a fight breaking out. JOC and EK got along just fine...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

DF

I certainly wouldn't compare JB to Elmer. John isn't full of crap.

I wouldn't either and didn't.

Some of that "feud" could have been scripted but I don't think it came out of a vacuum.

DF

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I don't have time or interest enough to read all this.
But , for what it is worth , very little, I purchased an Elmer Keith...owned .300 Weatherby, german one at that, at the Riviera Gun Show along with 2 other rifles, about 12-14 years ago. Shot very poorly. Had to practically give it away. Showed the Weatherby confirmation letter to the buyer. After buyer had left my place I found the letter on my bench. I thought he might call for it, never did.

I quit reading gun rags years ago����same old stuff, like this.
Cisco

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've read "Hell I was there" and I'm almost halfway through The Hunting Rifle.

I enjoy both their styles and stories. I think JOC approached his thoughts and writings in a more formal, fact based (teacher like) method and was clear in his writings. A little more like talking to your stern experienced grandfather.

Keith was more demonstrative and "loud" in his writing - more like hanging with your crazy uncle.

I deeply respect both men and their contributions. Both Bill Jordan's and Ed McGivern's books are also interesting from a style standpoint - and not short on "confidence".

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Elmer forgot more about guns than most people ever know....

There was a lot about guns that Elmer refused to learn.

Elmer was stuck back in the 1800s with his big bore rifles.

....but then I guess he needed big bore guns & his 17 gallon hat to make up for his size 6 boots.

Mike

I met a man in Salmon (ID) in 2006 that was a member of the Masonic Lodge with Keith and hunted with him in the Salmon River area. He told me that the 30-06 was one of Keith's favorite rifle cartridges and he used it regularly, but the 375 H&H was better for articles (and money).

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
My grandpa found a slew of G&A magazines from the mid sixties to like 1986 and knew he had to get them for me (I miss him, he was like that).

I always enjoyed reading Elmer's stuff because he always seemed like people I grew up around and sometimes seemed a bit outlandish in the details; like a friendly BSing farmer.

O'Connor always seemed to tell the story in chronological, matter of fact fashion, just like I did/had to for term papers in college.

I've only met one gunwriter in person and he wasn't full of himself, LOVED guns like most of us here and you could tell he enjoyed helping answer questions....and enjoyed people.

Like most professions, I think a lot of average people think they know more, do more and are better qualified (or envious) than many they like to critique. Most than often, they aren't.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by djs

....but then I guess he needed big bore guns & his 17 gallon hat to make up for his size 6 boots.

Mike

I met a man in Salmon (ID) in 2006 that was a member of the Masonic Lodge with Keith and hunted with him in the Salmon River area. He told me that the 30-06 was one of Keith's favorite rifle cartridges and he used it regularly, but the 375 H&H was better for articles (and money).

Two things I will say here. First, if Keith was happy and successful using big bore rifles, good for him. He lived his life the way he wanted, using the tools he wanted. He was under no obligation to abandon what he knew would work and dedicate his life to the latest and greatest gear. He wasn't living for his readers. He determined cutting edge technology wasn't required. He was entitled to his opinion.

He didn't have to use the latest and greatest and neither do we. I use a 303 and a 45-70 a lot. I also like cast bullets. This doesn't make me "stuck in the 1800s". It makes me happy. I think the numbers of BP and archery hunters are proof that you can be successful and happy with tools designed a long time ago. They don't bother with magnum rifles, jacketed or premium bullets and even scopes.

Second, it seems reasonable that Keith used a 30-06 more often than people thought. The ammunition was plentiful, as were 30 cal bullets. When he hunted, he knew what would get the job done. Jack O'Connor liked the 30-06 too. Perhaps there are times when two different personalities can agree on something. smile

Both men are gazing down on this and laughing. They were a success, as is evidenced by the amount of words expended on them every day, years after their passing.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by djs

Mike

Both men are gazing down on this and laughing. They were a success, as is evidenced by the amount of words expended on them every day, years after their passing.

Well, I guess than that Hitler is looking up and laughing.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Steve, I see a basic difference with your use of cast bullets and the .303 and .45/70 and Elmer's choices; you aren't attempting to convince others that your choices are the only correct ones by bad-mouthing other choices.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by HawkI

I always enjoyed reading Elmer's stuff because he always seemed like people I grew up around and sometimes seemed a bit outlandish in the details; like a friendly BSing farmer.

I can't stand that sort of behavior, in story tellers or first hand. When a piece of information is presented as being nonfiction and factual, it needs to be presented as such. Otherwise the presenter loses credibility with me.

I feel that way about Keith's writing. I'm sure he was just fine in person, but I just can't take him seriously as a writer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I can't stand that sort of behavior, in story tellers or first hand. When a piece of information is presented as being nonfiction and factual, it needs to be presented as such. Otherwise the presenter loses credibility with me.

I feel that way about Keith's writing. I'm sure he was just fine in person, but I just can't take him seriously as a writer.

I'm not much for embellishments either. Just the facts ma'am.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Dude270
John
I have always found it odd that Keith didn't embrace the partition as well. Had he used them I think his stands on what was effective on larger game and the minimum caliber or cartridge for "raking shots" may have at least softened if not changed.
IIRC, and I do, towards the very end of his life, he'd written (in Gun Notes) that a 175 Nosler Partition in the 7mm Rem Mag was just about the perfect elk rifle/bullet combination. Heck, I've probably still got that old G&A around here someplace.

While I enjoyed both of their writing styles, I tended to follow the O'Connor school of thought more than Keith's, as he was more polished and frankly, a better writer. My favorite writer was Skeeter Skelton, though, who could both weave a great story and educate you at the same time.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by moosemike

I'm not much for embellishments either. Just the facts ma'am.

I don't think many writers get famous or make a living with "just the facts".

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

281 members (10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 2UP, 25 invisible), 1,829 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,002
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.