Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Jim the Plumber
Get a contract in writing. ~$2000.00 plus tax while not a bargain doesn't sound too out of line. He will have to do some rerouting in the house also from the sounds of it. I always have a rock clause on any bid to cover unseen underground problems. That states time and material at $90.00 per hour for the plumber and the going rate for the machine

Ha! We jokingly call it the "remodeler's remorse" clause.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I just built a new house on 3 acres. 220 ft of triwall supply line buried 5 ft deep including connecting both ends and covering the trench cost $1790.

I did my daughters water line last fall. I bought the supply line at Lowes and rented a ditch witch, got the city permit and gave a licensed plumber $150 to do the connections at both ends. Total run was 110 ft. Cost was $850.

Thinkin the OP might save a little money by using a shovel.

Last edited by MissouriEd; 09/19/14.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I emailed him Thursday night saying I would like a contract with a firm price. Haven't heard anything back from him. My wife was supposed to go up on Wednesday to be there while they do the work. I hope he at least has the class to write back.

I don't have a problem paying $2k or 2500 if I know it going in. What I am afraid of happening is he started off at 1500 and then by the time we're done it 3500. I understand paying a premium for certainty, but there are electrical lines already running more or less the same course, so I there shouldn't be a concern about hitting bedrock or anything.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I paid one of the better plumbers in eastern NC $900 for 100' of 3/4" pvc from meter to inside garage. It took about a year to get it done with some long periods of rain, etc. They cut concrete driveway, used a small trencher to lay it about 18" deep and went in a brick veneer wall.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
water line is traceable by switching easily.....

Personally unless the ground is crazy, I don't see why you can't find the leak and put a clamp over it in a few hours. Unlesss the line is crazy deep or as noted the soil will never show it.

In that case I"d just contract for a brand new line, hell with the old one period. Run it as straight as possible.

PVC isn't cheap anymore. And 2000 doesn't sound too bad for what plumbers charge these days. I don't agree with their charges or electricians, as they make way more than I do as an inspector of both, but its fair to charge what the market will pay.

DIY is the way I"d go if legal.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If it's several hours away I can understand that being a pretty big hurdle for a do it yourselfer...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Have it done T&M and watch them do it if you want. A bid will typically be higher than a T&M job. If contractors have lot's of work, they can't take the time to negotiate pricing on small jobs like this. $2,000ish seems like a fair price. Everyone in that town knows what others charge.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Snyper
Get a written contract before he starts

Get a written "itemized" estimate before you start.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
So this is how this situation turned out.

I emailed him Thursday night, after the spike is estimated base price from $1500 to $2000, and told him I would like to reach a contract fix price.

Saturday night he emailed back asked how much am I thinking? I responded right away how about $2100, thinking if he didn't like it he would at least counter offer. By last night I had heard nothing so I emailed him told him it would be nice if he responded before my wife drove up for the work.

He responded this morning that he only works on time and materials and he is very honest. He already has 4 hours in planning this job (I call BS on that) but he is calling it off stating: " AT THIS JUNCTURE, I FEEL IT BEST FOR US TO PAUSE UNTIL THERE IS CLARITY."

Interesting perspective, I would have thought clarity might have most easily been achieved by a contract for an agreed price. I'm sure as hell not giving him an open check to figure out how long it is going to take him.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When ever someone claims they are honest it's a huge warning bell for me. It always seems to play out that when someone has to claim they are honest, that is a character trait they sorely lack.

If it takes somebody 4 hours to estimate a $2000 job, they either don't know wtf they are doing, or they are slow.

I've generally found the best approach to selecting a contractor is to choose one that has a solid reputation for good work, and paying them the going rate. Selecting the cheapest guy is often a good way to get burned.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
As a person in the Plumbing field, this thread has provided me with a few laughs.

I'll offer no opinion on the Contractor, nor his price,

Why? because I have so little info to go by, about the same info as all the other "Plumbers" here...

Yet their so freely telling you how bad you're getting bent on this deal,

Landscape conditions, trees, hand digging, type of material,codes, depth of Water service, tieing into city main,Road cut, backfill,,,yada yada yada......

You don't trust the Plumbing contractor, but you trust the Roofers, Rum drinkers and Retirees on a web forum?

Ask a Well driller for an exact price, won't happen.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

Well I found a contractor with an in house plumber and excavating capabilities. He said the utility lines were too tight to make it cost effective to put a new line around the back of the house.

He said there is a very good likelihood that the problem stems from a freeze damaged pipe from an outdoor faucet that has a hose attached right above where the line goes into the house. It will cost $500 to excavate that and fix the problem if that's where it is. If not, that would have to be excavated anyway to run a new line into the house. So he could then just dig out to the curb and install the new line. Won't give an estimate on that until he knows how deep the line is. But it least he has a firm plan and sounds like he knows what he's doing, so he will start work next week.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

Well here's the final update on this...the problem's fixed and it cost less than $1k.

The problem was that the city had increased the pressure on the line, requiring pressure reducing valves in the house. Supposedly they sent out notice regarding this a year ago...but we never got that notice.

Apparently the pressure was so great that it overcame the shutoff vavle and caused a toilet in the basement to run around the clock.

So it was matter of installing a the valve and putting in a new shutoff valve.

I'm glad I called BS on the guy from the OP who was going to put in a new line, price uncertain, and it wasn't even the problem.

I'm not sure what the take away is here but you can never be too careful.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Glad you got it figured out.. What "shut off valve" that got damaged are you referring to? I assume you mean the fill valve in your toilet tank?

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

I've generally found the best approach to selecting a contractor is to choose one that has a solid reputation for good work, and paying them the going rate. Selecting the cheapest guy is often a good way to get burned.

True dat but not always as it can pay off to shop around.

Two reputable contractors bid on our propane line installation.

1st guy said two days, two guys, $1500 and I had to give him a tissue to wipe the tears away as he is losing money and he likes me. Hmmmmm,... don't wanna kiss.

2nd guy says $300 bucks and he'll squeeze me in as he's really humpin'. Two guys, 3 hours and the final bill was $269. Great job. He did some other work for me and it was OK but in the long run we parted company when he was paid up front for an insurance job and it took him 2 years to complete.

Sometimes it's a crap shoot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by krp
They won't give you a set price on a new line from meter to house? That's as easy as it gets.

Kent

^^^This^^^

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Multiple bids is the way I always go.

The water department, and or guys at Home Depot should give you some contractor referrals.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Glad you got it figured out.. What "shut off valve" that got damaged are you referring to? I assume you mean the fill valve in your toilet tank?

To turn of the water right where it comes into the house.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by readonly

Well here's the final update on this...the problem's fixed and it cost less than $1k.

The problem was that the city had increased the pressure on the line, requiring pressure reducing valves in the house. Supposedly they sent out notice regarding this a year ago...but we never got that notice.

Apparently the pressure was so great that it overcame the shutoff vavle and caused a toilet in the basement to run around the clock.

So it was matter of installing a the valve and putting in a new shutoff valve.

I'm glad I called BS on the guy from the OP who was going to put in a new line, price uncertain, and it wasn't even the problem.

I'm not sure what the take away is here but you can never be too careful.

I thought it was a bad water main.

I have seen toilets go bad, and cause water to run. This can be fixed for about $20.00

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I just had 110 ft of 1 inch water line run from the street to the house. to hook up to county water. He charged me 400 bucks for everything. including one way valve. pressure reg, water line and two cut offs one at the street and one at the house. He was here about 3 hrs.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 82 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,721
Posts18,494,661
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.