Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Yesterday I culled through the "Mule Deer - Message for Boddington" thread to pull out the bibliography everyone started to put together. I've added a few of my own. I am a book junkie. Not e-books, but something you can actually smell and hold in your hand. I have an a/c warehouse unit full of them (some hunting, mostly theology: I'm saving them for when Ingwe goes to seminary).

Anyway, if we were going to put together a library of rifle/hunting/shooting books, classic and modern, what would be included? Here's what we have so far:

WDM Bell:
"Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter"
"Bell of Africa"
"Karamojo Safari"

John Burger:
"Horned Death"

J Corbett:
"Entire omnibus collection"

JA Hunter:
"Hunter"
"White Hunter"
"Hunter's Tracks"
"Tales of the African Frontier"

Arthur Newmann:
"Elephant Hunting in East Equatorial Africa"

SR Truesdell:
"The Rifle: Its Development for Big-Game Hunting"

Robert Ruark:
"Use Enough Gun"
"Horn of the Hunter"
"The Old Man and the Boy"

Edison Marshall:
"Heart of the Hunter"
"Shikar and Safari"

Brian Herne:
"White Hunters"

Frederick Courtney Selous:
"A hunters Wandering in Africa"

Last edited by RevMike; 09/24/14.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ruark:
Use Enough Gun
Horn of the Hunter
The Old Man and the boy.

Edison Marshall
Heart of the Hunter
Shikar and Safari

A newer book but a must have; Brian Herne
White Hunters

That'll give you a little more to read while you are waiting for me to go to seminary�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks, Ingwe, I edited them into the original post.

I'm thinking you'd enjoy Princeton.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Since you have a direct line, let me know when hell freezes over, and I'll enroll.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.

As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell.

With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, "it will be a cold day in Hell before I go out with you", and take into account the fact that I went out with her last night, then number 2 must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over.

But back to books....

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You have too much time on your hands�.

Besides that, you know me, I'm a 'doubting Thomas'�..I need proof. Bring me a snowball from hell.

grin

Back to books�.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Frederick Courtneney Selous

A hunters Wandering in Africa.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Added.

Then we're in the same boat. I'm a natural born skeptic.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Herne's "White Hunters", Capstick's "The Last Ivory Hunter", and Ruark's "The Horn of the Hunter" just came by the Big Brown Truck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
do you reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaalliy want me to play this game? grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Herne's White hunter is one of those select few books you can blindly flip through pages, stop anywhere, and you will find something interesting�.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I expect you probably have a pretty good list of books.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Had�.Im starting to farm them out, so as to be sure they get into the right hands before I cork over and achieve room temperature. Don't want my wife selling them in a garage sale for 25 cents�Id rather give them away�to the right people.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Good idea. Back when I was in still in practice I used to tell clients, "Either tag it with a name or just give it to the person now. Otherwise, an 'early bird' at the garage sale is going to wind up with it."

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
All right, Rattler; pony up with your list!!

Last edited by RevMike; 09/26/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ok ill add some of my favoritesand try to keep to ones not mentioned so far

if your into africa these are a couple of musts, usually around $100 plus or minus $20, worth every penny, especially if you have to have a small library for whatever reason

African Hunter by James Mellon
African Hunter II by Craig Boddington & Peter Flack

other African favorites
Buffalo, Elephant and Bongo by Reinald von Meurers especially if you think all modern African safaris are being led around, several dozen DIY trips into the jungles of Cameroon

im a huge fan of Tony's writing, especially since he comes from the Spanish end and talks about people and places the English guys havent
The Last of the Few by Tony Sanchez-Arino
Elephants, Ivory and Hunters by Tony Sanchez-Arino

From the Congo Basin to the Highlands of Ethiopia by Steve Christenson outstanding set of stories on modern African hunting

Hunting the Dangerous Game of Africa by John Kingsley-Heath

books on hunting in asia
big fan of Brandt's writing
Asian Hunter edited by Capt. John Brandt
Hunters of Man by Capt. John Brandt if you like the Corbett/Anderson maneater hunting you need this book too

I Killed for a Living by Etienne Oggeri about hunting in Vietnam, pre-US involvement

hunting in South America
Jaguar Hunting on the Mato Grosso and Bolivia by Tony de Almeida outstanding book if your interested in hunting the big cats

The Jungle Hunter by Joe Cavanaugh DIY hunts into Central and South America after critters you didnt know existed

ones with chapters from all over the world
Big Game Hunting by Sancha de Montebel interesting guy

Sport Hunting on Six Continents by Ken Wilson if your into Capstick this book is a must, Ken was the guy that produced the videos he did, lots of behind the scenes insight on Capstick

Memories of a Sheep Hunter by Rashid Jamsheed one of my favorite hunting books, must if your a sheep/high mountain hunter

that should add some that most wont think of grin give me time ill prolly think of more i rally like but i just went down my rough inventory list and grabbed what caught my eye

Last edited by rattler; 09/26/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Excellent! I'll massage that into the first list I posted. Too late to edit as that feature expired, but I'll get it all together. This ought to be a sticky that folks can add to from time to time.

Thanks, Rattler!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
no worries, since alot of the authors wouldnt be familiar unlike the "classics" like Bell and Selous or even Hunter and Burger if your the least bit familiar with classic African writing that i should put in why they were favorites cause im sure im one of only a couple people on here that have read guys like Joe Cavanaugh and Etienne Oggeri so the name of the book and author mean very little to the average guy

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
That's why it's always profitable to put together a bibliography, especially with the contributions of folks who are familiar with some of the more unfamiliar authors.

Dang, I'm starting to write like a college professor. I hate that! It's Friday night, though, and that'll pass soon enough. grin

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I love these topics. I did add this topic to my watchlist.

I am going to have to build more book shelves though.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1936M71, 1Akshooter, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 56 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,803
Posts18,496,365
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.