Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
At 40 below what kind of problems show up with remington actions and various brands of triggers? I have a couple of old remington triggers I have not swapped out yet and I am looking at rifle basix. Do y'all have any odd feeding problems? What about CRF Rugers at 40 below?

Aren't you supposed to pull apart the bolt and degrease everything super dry?

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
None with mine, First of all none are ever lubed with wet stuff. I use EEzox or Corrosion X under ALL weather conditions.

Second, at 40 below they are in the rack and I'm in the sauce..... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
What las said.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I had one freeze up on me on time..fired when safety was taken off. This is the problem with the rem trigger.. If you use a rem. make sure all the grease and oil is removed from the trigger as it turns hard as a rock in the cold and trigger parts don't move. I much prefer old model 70s for big game hunting..never had a problem with my older Sakos or mausers either.. I don't use rugers much any more but have an all weather 223 I used to use for predator calling, never had any issues with it. Another good trigger design. Did a Dayton tarsier kit in it..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had the firing pin on a Rem 700 freeze up at a lot warmer temp than that. Around plus 22f if I recall correctly. It was a rifle that I had bought, from a friend, and I asked him about cleaning the bolt and he told me he cleaned it every time he cleaned the rifle. Turns out, he knew nothing about taking the bolt apart and just squirted oil everywhere and wiped it off. Inside was full of oil and grime. It did fire on the second try and I killed the deer. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like LAS, I use a bit of Corrosion X only.....no lubes.....-40 is getting dangerous....stay home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wipe all oil off of the inside of the bolt before season.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use CRC Brake Cleaner to flush trigger mechanisms and spray a very light coat of Eezox on bolt lugs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only box triggers I have now are in Sako rifles, the remainder are variations of open Mauser triggers. On the box triggers, I make it a habit to clean and flush out the triggers with Ronson lighter fluid. Once it evaporates, is leaves a light lubrication that does not freeze up. I'd most definitely remove any greasy lube from the bolt and firing pin, and if I was going in temps as cold as you describe, I may do the same as the box trigger, and hose everything down with the lighter fluid.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
-40, stay by the fire, that's dangerous!-Muddy-

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
On review, I was maybe a little flippant. I have a Remington 700, and a 725 with original (tweaked) triggers. Two Ruger 77s with original (tweaked) triggers. One M98 with Timney. All run 2.5-3.0 trigger pull.

I use the 725, one 77, and the M98 in cold weather down to maybe 15 below. After that, I stay home.

The rest stands.

Truth is - ain't no real dif between maybe 25 degrees and anything colder if one is working with wet lubes. As said before, I use dry-to-touch stuff. It doesn't freeze, thicken, nor collect crud.

If one is not confident of complete hand disassembly/cleaning of mechanisms, either soak it in one of the other things mentioned, or have a gunsmith or knowledgeble person do a complete dis-assembly/cleaning/dry lube. All of my rifles get done every 3 or 4 years if used. Just did the 725 after last having done it 4 years back-with regular use since - it was cruddy inside the trigger mechanism, and a bit inside the bolt. Replaced the spongy original (50 year old?) striker spring with an over-strength Wolff. Much better!

Condensation moisture collected in the innards from in/out shelter or from blowing snow travel is of concern. Try not to subject the rifle to above/below freezing temperature changes - leave the rifle outside once outside, or wrap it in insulation before bringing them inside to slowly warm and prevent condensation which may later freeze or rust.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I got out of the truck one morning in Alberta and the truck thermometer said -30 degrees.It warmed all the way up to -10 that day,and I killed a buck in the last minutes of daylight....was told it was -25 at that time.

I had degreased the rifle, wiped down the firing pin assembly and ran it dry. It was a well worn pre 64 action that was slicker than snot anyway,and it worked fine when it had to.

Being out hunting in temps of -30 is insane....I won't do that again anytime soon.But everyone should do it once.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I would personally not go outside to 'recreate' if it's -20F or colder. Throw in a little breeze and look out!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gummed up actions and triggers will create problems way before -40..

And yeah, I'm not going very far away from a reliable heat source at those temps.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Why?

For the same reasons people climb ice chutes(sp?) and jump out of planes. smile

In case you haven't noticed it's pretty gawd damned boring out there and you have to do somethinginvolving some risk or you shrivel up like a prune.

Last edited by BobinNH; 09/28/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
There ain't nothing I need to do in -40, -20 for that matter.

I was up to my nuts one New Year's day steelhead fishing and the temp was a balmy 0 degrees. I'll never wade fish in 0 degree weather again.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Being out hunting in temps of -30 is insane....I won't do that again anytime soon.But everyone should do it once.

Man you said a mouthful Bob. My first foray to Sask saw temps -20F plus. One day it warmed up to -26F at midday. Coming from NJ, it was quite the shocker. Of course, to add to the "experience" the wind was blowing hard enough that the snow appeared to be falling sideways. Got off the plane in Newark International with a t-shirt and felt comfy......... grin
The beauty of Black-T is that you run the rifle dry, no lube necessary anywhere. So long as the trigger is flushed, just in case of any residual lubes/dirt/debris, it's full steam ahead.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Why?

For the same hammer to the thumb reason. It feels so good when one stops! smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
There ain't nothing I need to do in -40, -20 for that matter.

I was up to my nuts one New Year's day steelhead fishing and the temp was a balmy 0 degrees. I'll never wade fish in 0 degree weather again.

BTDT too on the Salmon River in upper NYS. Pchuck that schitt...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,745 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,412
Posts18,528,173
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.