-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's no question that what you say is true. It's all about the wind.

But when a guy can hone his skills enough with an accurate rifle and load with confirmed drops, develops wind-reading skills from experience, and chooses his shots that he knows he can make, I will go as far as to guarantee you that he wounds FAR LESS from 500 to 1000 yards than Joe Blow who shoots a box a year does from 0 to 100.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

On average, long-range shooters put more time, primers, and preparation into LR shots, and miss or wound less than average-Joe short-range shooters who shoot a couple boxes of ammo a year and take whatever shot they are offered, including running shots. These same average-Joe shooters tend not to wound at long range, they miss entirely. To use a line from your book- prove me wrong. But try using reason and evidence this time.

Jordan, you are an experienced guy, that is inarguable to me. I will have to respectfully disagree with you on this. It seems that with most LR guys I read here on the fire, they fail to admit that they are totally at the mercy of the wind no matter how much ammo they burn. My buddies up in the TX Panhandle personally see the best snipers in the world shoot steel, targets, and prarie dogs, at extended ranges past 1000m. The ever present, inconsistent wind wreaks havoc with the very best shooters in the world, as they often time, very often, miss the mark the first shot or two, due to not being able to figure the dope, obviously. If it happens to these guys, it happens to any LR shooter anywhere. That's my reason for not totally drinking the koolaid. Now, when there's little to no wind, or a consistent wind (seldom), different story. You don't want these guys shooting at you no matter what.

There is no way to prove if LR shooters wound more or less than regular shooters, no way. Also, exactly none of these snipers are using conventional (Swaro, Leica, Zeiss, Leupy, Nikon, Bushy, etc) rangefinders. They also shoot as a team. There's not one guy "swagging it" like lots of LR hunting wannabes do. The wind dictates the result, every single time.

JG,

I can completely see where you're coming from, but I have a couple of points to make...

- The wind is THE enemy to making LR hits. But fortunately the more primers you pop in the wind, the more clear your understanding of what effect a given wind condition has on a given bullet, and your future estimates of net wind drift become more precise and more accurate. Probably the most valuable result of this "education", is that it teaches a LR guy when he shouldn't shoot

- Distances beyond 1000m are typically considered ER (extreme-range) hunting. LR hunting if often considered between 500 or 600 and 1000 yards. Making first-round hits at extreme range requires a whole different level of "education", and for this reason a sighter shot 100 feet to the side of the animal is common place in this kind of hunting

- My observations about SR guys missing and wounding more often than LR guys are based off my own experience, witnessing my buds and other LR guys that I know, and many, many average-Joe hunters that I've hunted with. It makes sense that LR guys miss and wound less, since by definition if they are really into LR, they have invested a lot of effort, money, and time into honing the art, and are more likely to be picky about taking shots within their abilities. The average hunter may only take a couple of days off a year for shooting/hunting, and they typically want to make those days count by shooting whatever legal animal they see, regardless of shot presentation, the animal running or standing still, etc. There are a LOT of guys that will take a shot at running game without a second thought, which has a WAY higher likelihood of missing/wounding than a LR guy taking his time to gauge the wind drift in a 10 mph wind and carefully taking a shot, usually without the time pressure of a running shot at a fleeting critter. It all comes down to a guy knowing his limitations. Usually LR guys have spent enough time and primers to be well-familiar with theirs, while the average-Joe often doesn't know what his limitations are, and doesn't care to find out until he's actually shooting at game. Keep in mind that the posters here on 24H are not the guys that make up the bulk of what I'm calling the average-Joe hunter

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
RC,Jordan, well said, and I understand where you're coming from.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Snyper
What you said is not true.

Copy and paste the things I've said that are false

I'll agree with you that most self-proclaimed LR shooters are over-equipped and under-prepared, as are most average Joe hunters, but there is a group of proficient LR shooters, and many of them hang out in this very forum.

Then YOU are saying what I said is true.

I didn't attach an arbitrary distance to my statement, and I also said "self-proclaimed LR shooters", which includes the massive group of people these days that fork out their $5,000 and think they are an instant LR shooter...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
The problem is, most Canadians are not as good with a hockey stick as they think they are.

I can freely admit I'm not all that good with a hockey stick. Put a rifle in my hands and I feel much more at home. grin

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
There's no sense in trying to argue with these LR guys. They are always going to compare their hit record to the "Average Joe" hunter to justify their selfish methods. Most of the proponents have but a few kills (and several wounds or misses) at long range to back up their methodology. It's just not worth your energy.

Funny thing is, I've seen little in the way of evidence about LR guys actually practicing more than normal range guys, despite the claims to the contrary. whistle

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by Ringman
I finally made a decision. I don't know what Snyper posted.

Originally Posted by jwp475

Apparently he doesn't either.

Don't blame me because YOU can't figure out what I said.

It's all still there, so you can read it again slowly

I figured it out, you just can't seem to remember is the point.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
PG,
What kind of proof do you want?

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Judging from what I have witnessed in the antelope prairie around here Jordan makes an excellent point. Watching the one week a year guys come to this area and pound away at antelope,is disheartenening. If they own rangefinders they ain't using them and the amount of shots on moving game at distances they are shooting from the stand or one elbow over the hood are ridiculous. Antelope seem to attract poor shooting skills because of the wide open spaces, the wind and their coloration makes them appear bigger(closer) then they are. What are the thought processes of people trying to shoot antelope at 500-600 yds in a 25mph switchy breeze that are running say 45 mph........they are thinking heck I got these tags ,I paid good money, I am gonna at least let them antelope know I am here???????

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sad but true. Somehow pronghorns seem to bring out the worst in people.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Judging from what I have witnessed in the antelope prairie around here Jordan makes an excellent point. Watching the one week a year guys come to this area and pound away at antelope,is disheartenening. If they own rangefinders they ain't using them and the amount of shots on moving game at distances they are shooting from the stand or one elbow over the hood are ridiculous. Antelope seem to attract poor shooting skills because of the wide open spaces, the wind and their coloration makes them appear bigger(closer) then they are. What are the thought processes of people trying to shoot antelope at 500-600 yds in a 25mph switchy breeze that are running say 45 mph........they are thinking heck I got these tags ,I paid good money, I am gonna at least let them antelope know I am here???????

Yep, been there done that many moons ago...didn't shoot at running game or wound anything but after taking three shots on my first antelope hunt and hitting nothing I paced off the distance to an approximate land mark where the antelope were. I stopped after 500 and still hadn't gotten to the spot. Wizened up, regrouped and set up on a ridge above some does at 180yrds and made the kill from prone.
One needs to do their homework.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You have continued to be vague or ignore questions about yourself.
I have not seen you respond to my questions about specifics in regards to archery hunting (comments I have directly made to you), the types of hunting and shooting you do and the distances.
What is your max distance for hunting (animal hunted) in ideal conditions?
Have you practiced at LR shooting?
What kind of rifle /chambering / optic/ prone or from the bench
If so, what were the regular starting and max distances?
Would you make archery hunting illegal in your state if you had the power to do so?
If not, why not?

I've already said none of those answers would change the reality of what I stated.

I'm not playing the "I've shot more than you" or the "my rifle is better than yours" games

The thread is NOT about me, and nothing I said would be changed by anything

It's funny how the LR crowd is saying many hunters can't hit at SHORT range, but attack me when I said MOST hunters shouldnt shoot at LONG range.

Prarie Goat got it 100% right:

There's no sense in trying to argue with these LR guys. They are always going to compare their hit record to the "Average Joe" hunter to justify their selfish methods.

Most of the proponents have but a few kills (and several wounds or misses) at long range to back up their methodology.

It's just not worth your energy.

Funny thing is, I've seen little in the way of evidence about LR guys actually practicing more than normal range guys, despite the claims to the contrary.

Last edited by Snyper; 10/03/14.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First, who said anything about rifles-Ha!
Two, exactly the answer I sadly expected, but thank you for giving it.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
There's no sense in trying to argue with these LR guys. They are always going to compare their hit record to the "Average Joe" hunter to justify their selfish methods. Most of the proponents have but a few kills (and several wounds or misses) at long range to back up their methodology. It's just not worth your energy.

Funny thing is, I've seen little in the way of evidence about LR guys actually practicing more than normal range guys, despite the claims to the contrary. whistle

Another funny thing is that there are guys with little or no long range experience who actually think the garbage you just posted is true.

When you don't know how it's done, the above just has to be true, right? I mean, it's impossible stuff to be able to deliver a bullet with that kind of precision with all of the variables involved at the ranges those dudes talk about. It's more luck than anything, right?

Get a grip.

You ought to start a thread asking for long range hunter's/shooter's truths. How many have they wounded and at what range? How much shooting do they actually do and ask them prove it with some type of verifiable data like piles of spent brass and primers. How often do they wear out a barrel? Maybe even ask them to show you their results from long range competition and how many competitions have they attended. How frequently do they do so?

You may actually learn something about it and have to stop making [bleep] up.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

Another funny thing is that there are guys with little or no long range experience who actually think the garbage you just posted is true.

When you don't know how it's done, the above just has to be true, right? I mean, it's impossible stuff to be able to deliver a bullet with that kind of precision with all of the variables involved at the ranges those dudes talk about. It's more luck than anything, right?

Get a grip.

You ought to start a thread asking for long range hunter's/shooter's truths. How many have they wounded and at what range? How much shooting do they actually do and ask them prove it with some type of verifiable data like piles of spent brass and primers. How often do they wear out a barrel? Maybe even ask them to show you their results from long range competition and how many competitions have they attended. How frequently do they do so?

You may actually learn something about it and have to stop making [bleep] up.

Guys that don't shoot haven't a clue. You see when you shoot and actually shoot a lot your buy your components like this..

[Linked Image]

And you wear out barrels like this...

[Linked Image]

...But I am sure you hard chargers know about me and my capabilities through your own "experience". Laffin'

Last edited by heavywalker; 10/03/14.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Awesome stuff heavy....! Thing is, you'd need every one of those bullets out here mule deer hunting with me, shooting 500-700 yds in those 20-30mph variable and swirling winds. laugh

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Awesome stuff heavy....! Thing is, you'd need every one of those bullets out here mule deer hunting with me, shooting 500-700 yds in those 20-30mph variable and swirling winds. laugh

Yeah, here is the thing, I wouldn't take that shot. All that shooting shows you what you shouldn't do just as much as it shows you what you can do.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well said!
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Yeah, here is the thing, I wouldn't take that shot. All that shooting shows you what you shouldn't do just as much as it shows you what you can do.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by xphunter
Well said!
Originally Posted by heavywalker

I think, that actually make the points both of B&C and Mr. Stecker.

Well said.

Its all about performance envelope. Taking a plane outside its, gets you killed. Taking your rifle/bow and yourself outside theirs, gets misses or, worse, wounds an animal.

Trick is to know before the shot if one is able to do it - on that day, under prevailing conditions, with the equipment at hand.

Really - not a long range proposition. Much more a core hunting situation judgement.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by xphunter
First, who said anything about rifles-Ha!
Two, exactly the answer I sadly expected, but thank you for giving it.

So change "rifles" to guns.
It makes no difference, and I have both

It should be the expected answer, since I had already given it more than once, but you kept repeating yourself

More and more I'm beginning to see the LR crowd seems to be doing it for the ego trip

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

463 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 48 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,250
Posts18,504,685
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.