Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
It is truly a judgment call based upon experience.
Two deer last week from sitting positions with distances under 400 yards. Same set-up with BOG-GEAR's HD-3 Tri-Pod and their PSR top (Center-grip XP-100). On the shot that was over 350 yards I was able to get bone support with my elbow and knee, while on the shorter shot 164 yards, I couldn't get bone support. I took me longer to get steady on the shorter shot, but I finally did. The longest shot deer ran 30 yards (quartering shot/1 shoulder double lung)before giving it up and the short range one (broadside/double shoulder) jumped straight up and then went straight down.
I was told by the hunt club to go for shoulder shots because of the heavy cover were around, to avoid bringing out the tracking dogs.
Had I not been able to get a solid rest with the longer one, I would have had to pass. Prone they would have been both gimmee's. Neither deer were alerted to my presence.
Originally Posted by Ready
Originally Posted by xphunter
Well said!
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Yeah, here is the thing, I wouldn't take that shot. All that shooting shows you what you shouldn't do just as much as it shows you what you can do.

I think, that actually make the points both of B&C and Mr. Stecker.

Well said.

Its all about performance envelope. Taking a plane outside its, gets you killed. Taking your rifle/bow and yourself outside theirs, gets misses or, worse, wounds an animal.

Trick is to know before the shot if one is able to do it - on that day, under prevailing conditions, with the equipment at hand.

Really - not a long range proposition. Much more a core hunting situation judgement.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yep, I have passed on 600 yard shot because wind and conditions were not right, and the next day under good conditions I made a shot on a different bull at 1031 yards. Result 1 elk dead within 30 seconds of pulling the trigger and zero wounded elk.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
EGO no. Your high horse has your head in the clouds. All the LR guys I shoot with could not be more humble.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Stop showing them where all the powder has been going.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I wouldn't take that shot! I am posing a question not an opinion. Yesterday I shot 60 rounds at a 4'x4' piece of cardboard w/ a 1" grid drawn on it. When I started wind was full value at 10 mph or less and I kept everything w/in 6" at 420 lasered yards. The 1st 60 rounds I felt like the international sniper. The wind started gusting hard and I had to put on a jacket due to the wind chill. My vertical didn't change much but I couldn't guess the wind w/in 12" even w/ tall grass showing the difference. Questions 1] shoot at shorter distances or lighter winds. 2] How the hell do you guess the wind? I am shooting a 308 w/ 168 gr SMK.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
We live in tree country and the tops of the little furs tell you how hard . Also twenty five years of looking at them helps after some time you can just tell. If they are bent to much don't shoot and so on. Heavy might be able to give more insight but this is my take.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are lots of little signs that show you what the wind is doing- the grass, the leaves, the mirage, the cloud movement overhead, even the lay of the land will tell an experienced guy what kind of wind to expect. Morning and evening have different wind currents in high country. Of course, a good wind meter will tell you what the wind at the shooter's location is doing, and it is a good way for a guy that's new to wind reading to learn what a 5 mph wind feels and looks like, versus a 15 mph wind, etc. Also remember that wind in the open air moves a bit quicker than wind moving along the ground, so even if your wind meter shows 10 mph on the edge of a canyon, it's likely going a bit quicker in the middle of the canyon between the two sides, which your bullet has to pass through.

The best way to learn how to read the wind, is to get a few tips and pointers, and then shoot, shoot, and shoot some more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I wouldn't take that shot! I am posing a question not an opinion. Yesterday I shot 60 rounds at a 4'x4' piece of cardboard w/ a 1" grid drawn on it. When I started wind was full value at 10 mph or less and I kept everything w/in 6" at 420 lasered yards. The 1st 60 rounds I felt like the international sniper. The wind started gusting hard and I had to put on a jacket due to the wind chill. My vertical didn't change much but I couldn't guess the wind w/in 12" even w/ tall grass showing the difference. Questions 1] shoot at shorter distances or lighter winds. 2] How the hell do you guess the wind? I am shooting a 308 w/ 168 gr SMK.

mike r

When you shoot a .308 with that bullet, that's what you get! A .308 Win is a MAJOR handicap at long range in any type of wind

All competitions have a ".308" class so they don't have to shoot against ballistically superior calibers

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not arguing, just discussing...........

Ever wonder why the LR competition dudes use wind flags...at the bench, the target, and in between? Often times the wind at the target and bench are different. Big problem.

I certainly didn't realize a .308 was such a LR handicap.

Last edited by JGRaider; 10/03/14.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Not arguing, just discussing...........

Ever wonder why the LR competition dudes use wind flags...at the bench, the target, and in between? Often times the wind at the target and bench are different. Big problem.

I certainly didn't realize a .308 was such a LR handicap.

It's a BIG TIME handicap.

If you think wind flags are a part of REAL long range competition, it really tells me quite a bit.

Wind flags are used in GAY long range competitions like F-Class and Benchrest. In any Practical Rifle Match or Precision Match there are no wind flags. It's real shooting that is as close to hunting as there is. The competitor uses his experience to call wind. One shot per target only. No sighters.

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
A .308 Win is a MAJOR handicap at long range in any type of wind

RC, what caliber and cartridge do you prefer for these longrange jaunts?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Wind flags are used in GAY long range competitions like F-Class and Benchrest.

Wow. You really need to get over that inferiority complex.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I fear long range is often a choice, not a necessity, and there's the rub. A typical situation is:

Hunt is situated with the objective of a long range shot.

Pass up a critter at short range because it's anticlimactic.

Miss (hopefully clean) a shot or two at a long range.

Connect at long range then boast of the shot.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Is this a fear or known fact for you?
It certainly is possible though.
I have taken big game out past 1K with a XP-100, yet my last two animals were at 164 and 363 respectively. I take animals at short, medium, and long ranges.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The situation is a fact, the fear is "often", though I am careful not to condemn it. Its my "rub", others proceed as they feel right. The tables could be turned on archery. A rifle would make for a more efficient kill.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have taken big game out past 1K with a XP-100, yet my last two animals were at 164 and 363 respectively. I take animals at short, medium, and long ranges.

+1

I take the best possible shot I'm presented with, but I like to have as many tools in my tool box as possible- with the option to take short, medium, or long-range shots.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Repertoire

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

+1

I take the best possible shot I'm presented with, but I like to have as many tools in my tool box as possible- with the option to take short, medium, or long-range shots.

Exactly. The Long Rangeophobs are quite a few tools short of a tool box laugh

Originally Posted by 1tnhunter

Long range is about BC. Pick a caliber with high BC bullet availability and the cartrige capable of sending it as fast as possible.

There are many good choices.

I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor and a .300 Winchester Magnum in competition. I also have rifles chambered for the same to hunt with.

While speaking of that, there's a lot to be said for having hunting rifles and competiton rifles in the same cartridge. Same goes with setting them up with the same scope or at least the same reticle. I shoot a heck of a lot more with competiton guns than my hunting guns. You become very "in tune" with drop and drift. Makes transitioning to your hunting rifle seem like you haven't changed much and, I believe, will lead to better shooting at long range in the field.

Very much like taking your well-fitted sporting clays gun on a dove hunt.

Carnage!

Last edited by rcamuglia; 10/04/14.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Wind flags are used in GAY long range competitions like F-Class and Benchrest.

Wow. You really need to get over that inferiority complex.

Don't they actually use feather boas for the "wind flag"?

LOL

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

+1

Exactly. The Long Rangeophobs are quite a few tools short of a tool box laugh

Originally Posted by 1tnhunter

Long range is about BC. Pick a caliber with high BC bullet availability and the cartrige capable of sending it as fast as possible.

There are many good choices.

I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor and a .300 Winchester Magnum in competition. I also have rifles chambered for the same to hunt with.

While speaking of that, there's a lot to be said for having hunting rifles and competiton rifles in the same cartridge. Same goes with setting them up with the same scope or at least the same reticle. I shoot a heck of a lot more with competiton guns than my hunting guns. You become very "in tune" with drop and drift. Makes transitioning to your hunting rifle seem like you haven't changed much and, I believe, will lead to better shooting at long range in the field.

Very much like taking your well-fitted sporting clays gun on a dove hunt.

Carnage!

Exactly.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (204guy, 219DW, 12344mag, 163bc, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 39 invisible), 2,115 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,224
Posts18,504,276
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.