Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Too funny! laugh

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Hilarious........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Younknow your culture sucks when even the hindu dotheads can rag on you...thats funny

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
its interesting some times, spent 3 weeks with AussieLad and every so often he and i would have to decide what each other were talking about....good example is when he asked me if i ate capsicum when he was fixing dinner one night...i guess i gave him an odd look and asked "what do you call capsicum?" turns out he was talking about bell peppers, i figured he was talking about peppers of some sort cause im a nerd and knew Capsicum is the genus that peppers, hot and bell, belong to.....but had no clue anyone in the english speaking world called a bell pepper anything but a pepper...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
1. A Skooby is a Schooner which is a 15oz beer.
2. A Pony or Pot is a 10oz beer (Old blokes drink them) (Baby boomers are not old blokes)
3. The Thunderbox and long Drop are outside dunnies,
4. A Drongo, F---Wit, turd burgler, wacker, ice hole, and a dozen more is a silly person or someone who handles the truth carelessly.

There is a great book on Aussie Slang put out in the 90's authoried by John Blackman. HAS a lot of stuff I never heard of and shows how territorial Aussieland is, particularly between Sydney and Melbun.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
So is it "poofer" or "poofter". Or both?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Craigster

Poofter
Pillow biter
shirt lifter
And a dozen more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rattler
its interesting some times, spent 3 weeks with AussieLad and every so often he and i would have to decide what each other were talking about...

Its funny to see that even today that so many Colonials struggle with the Queens English! grin

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Pete E
its interesting some times, spent 3 weeks with AussieLad and every so often he and i would have to decide what each other were talking about...

Its funny to see that even today that so many Colonials struggle with the Queens English! grin

We ahitcanned the queen. Why would we want her English

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My father-in-law was in Australia on leave during WWII. He and some other soldiers were at a movie house where "God Save the King" was played prior to the movie. When the GIs remained sitting, one of the locals informed them that they were hearing "God Save the King" and that they should stand up. One of the GIs suggested that the King be known in a Biblically carnal sense. Things got a bit out of hand at that point. I don't believe that the movie was ever seen.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Yeah, I remember as a kid in the 50s early 60's at the Saturday afternoon matinee before the movie started we used to hear "God Save the Queen" and be expected to stand. Not many of us did. This was in NZ and thankfully the ridiculous custom got knocked on the head long ago.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Originally Posted by Craigster

Poofter
Pillow biter
shirt lifter
And a dozen more.

Including the aforementioned "turd burgler".

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Funny!

Retired cat herder.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Herd a new Yankee word yesterday for the first time.
The word "Chassis" in Orstrayleyanne is pronounced "Shazzy"
My American linguists pronounced it "Chassie" as we both struggled a bit on that.

Another one is Aussie, Americans can't say it, they say "Osscie" when we all know it is the same as Ozzie Osbourne or Ozzy and and Harriet.

Interesting stuff!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by 5sdad
My father-in-law was in Australia on leave during WWII. He and some other soldiers were at a movie house where "God Save the King" was played prior to the movie. When the GIs remained sitting, one of the locals informed them that they were hearing "God Save the King" and that they should stand up. One of the GIs suggested that the King be known in a Biblically carnal sense. Things got a bit out of hand at that point. I don't believe that the movie was ever seen.

I doubt that the movie was important after that clash of cultures!

Last edited by idahoguy101; 10/05/14.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Herd a new Yankee word yesterday for the first time.
The word "Chassis" in Orstrayleyanne is pronounced "Shazzy"
My American linguists pronounced it "Chassie" as we both struggled a bit on that.

It is a French word, originally, and pronounced something like "shazzy" in most places, not just Australia.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I wonder how those GIs would have felt had an Australian, guest in your country, publicly refused to stand for the anthem, and then said something disparaging about your head of state? It would have been seen as bad manners, I suspect, and rightly.

FWIW though, it has been many decades since God Save the King, or God Save the Queen, has been our anthem.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There's a bit of regional variation in Australian too, though not as much as in the UK or US. Some slight variations in accent: the Adelaide pronunciation of words like dance, chance, and salt as "dahnce", "chahnce" and "sawlt" for example, or Melburnians pronunciation of "el" as "al" - "Walcome to Malbourne".

There are variations in vocabulary too. In Sydney you go swimming in "swimmers" or "cossies", while in Victoria you'd probably call them "togs", and in Perth "bathers", for example. The Macquarie Dictionary has a "Word Map" (https://www.macquariedictionary.com.au/resources/word/map/) showing numerous examples.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Pete E

The three years I lived in Britain as a kid, I was the only family member that could translate it into American English... that took 6 months to learn... but I did good...

now we had a few Irish and Scottish folks in the neighborhood.. they took a little longer to be able to understand... and of course everyone over there, thought the American terms for things was "bloody daft.."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 66 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,284
Posts18,486,844
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.