Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Give him emotional support and don't force the issue. Does he have any injuries? TBI or any other diagnoses? Is he medicated currently or seeing anyone? Keep him busy, don't take him drinking ect. Anything particular he is not adjusting too? Is he married or have kids? Take all that into account.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know perfectly well what the young fella is going through. He absolutely HAS TO have someone he can actually talk to about what he saw. PM me tomorrow Sam.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I wish you and him the best Sam. I don't believe a 12 step program is the answer to a renewed hope in life.

I mean this very sincerely and do not want to sound preachy, but I honestly believe with all my heart that the real change occurs when a man accepts Christ.

2 Corinthians 5:17 says "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come."

No other change can satisfy the broken man. It's super-natural and beyond explanation, but is true and real.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I wish you and him the best Sam. I don't believe a 12 step program is the answer to a renewed hope in life.

I mean this very sincerely and do not want to sound preachy, but I honestly believe with all my heart that the real change occurs when a man accepts Christ.

2 Corinthians 5:17 says "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come."

No other change can satisfy the broken man. It's super-natural and beyond explanation, but is true and real.

Well stated.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
I know perfectly well what the young fella is going through. He absolutely HAS TO have someone he can actually talk to about what he saw. PM me tomorrow Sam.

What Jim said.
Just leave the VA out of it(for now). It's almost an insult sometime. Good luck Sam.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I got out the first time I did not speak with anyone who was not a veteran, except for one loyal friend, for nine years. The Command Sergeant Major of the State of California described me as the worst case he has ever seen of someone trying to transition from the Regular Army to the Cal Guard. Nine more years have passed and I have a new family and career so I am forced to interact with people who do not understand me nor care to even try. I am still dismissed as a "nut" for serving. Too many civilians do not even care. They write off anyone as stupid if they volunteer to suffer with little economic reward. I stopped trying to explain and now just say, "If I have to explain it to you, you just do not get it." I am grateful for the people who do understand, who do care, or who do quietly "get it." The Fire has been a sanctuary for me for awhile.
So please don't push him to "blend back in." Give him you love and check to see if his friends, if he has any, are good and supporting, or not and destructive. Try to steer some good people his way. If it helps, tell him he is not alone. I did not have any positive encounters with the VA's counseling office. Find him some good men like him. I thank you for even caring about him. Good luck.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
A
A
Sorry for butting in but...Only Pete knows what is eating at him and a few hundred thousand other guys.

I was for many a very strong, hard working, good providing man. Thirty six years after I was involved in a war, I just broke down one day and started crying. I was in my 50s.

Do not let Pete make the same mistake...If you cannot talk to him find another Vet who has been where he has and get them together. Not a Group, just one guy.

Call a Vet Center and they can help if you cannot find someone. 13 years later I am doing okay but it took a while. Talking to a fellow Vet is just the first step but it is a step in the right direction.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2

If you don't want to sound preachy, then don't preach. The born again vultures hang around enough base front gates to have them as common as hookers and pawn shops, and about as welcomed.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I really appreciate all the thoughts and help here. It's what makes the 'fire a special place.
When I get up to Birmingham, I'll go over this information with Petey. He is not in distress, that I know of. He has a job, joined the Alabama Guard, and has friends.
What he does NOT have, is the ability to just slip back into his old life, with folks that don't share his experiences. He has, well, some 'issues' dealing with people now.
I have a much better idea of how to talk to him now, and I know his family and I can make a difference with him.
again............thanks

Sam......

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I wish I could give you some ideas Sam but I got nothing, I do wish you and him the best of luck and will pray for him. If you get a chance please thank him for his service for me.

AMEN that.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Your nephew is obviously one of the good guys and was raised right. You've had good advice here. Godspeed.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I wish I could give you some ideas Sam but I got nothing, I do wish you and him the best of luck and will pray for him. If you get a chance please thank him for his service for me.
Ditto here..

I got nothin' either, but am reading Chris Kyle's book again and he relates how difficult it was to 'calm down' when he was back home, driving, and people would cut him off.. Said he wanted to chase 'em down, run 'em off the road etc, etc...'..

Sounds like your nephew is in the same boat.. My very best wishes off to you..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
WFR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll second this advice. This organization does what many others cannot. It gives veterans a renewed sense of purpose.
Originally Posted by 4ager
Get him all the help you can. We lose about 25 veterans EVERY DAY to suicide (literally one per hour, every day of the year).

If he wants to still use some of his skills to do good work/service, get him in touch with these folks: http://www.teamrubiconusa.org/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't take this wrong but

He may need to talk to someone... a Professional

No shame in that

Better sooner than later

Tom

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by temmi

No shame in that

Better sooner than later

Tom

I could not agree more. Even some of you guys might have realized that I am not a mental health care professional. smile

All I want to do is start a dialog. To get Pete thinking. To get him to realize that within his grasp, are brothers, folks who care. Folks that have been where he has been, and are willing to talk.
Some of those folks ARE professionals, and have expertise in dealing with just his sort of issues.

That is what I am seeking to kick start, a process.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by temmi

No shame in that

Better sooner than later

Tom

I could not agree more. Even some of you guys might have realized that I am not a mental health care professional. smile

All I want to do is start a dialog. To get Pete thinking. To get him to realize that within his grasp, are brothers, folks who care. Folks that have been where he has been, and are willing to talk.
Some of those folks ARE professionals, and have expertise in dealing with just his sort of issues.

That is what I am seeking to kick start, a process.

You are a good man

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take him with you on one your outdoor adventures, Sam.

Lots of quiet time and solitude on a hiking trail to get a good dialogue going between the two of you.

Share a campfire with him as well.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Take him fishing.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ROMAC
Take him fishing.

Yup, I'd take him and some of his buddies on a week or month long fishing/campging/hiking/exploring trip to just decompress in nature and away from the craziness of this modern world.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 51 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,585
Posts18,511,036
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.