Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Snyper
Snyper,

When I start with a new gun, new round, I do a bunch of online research to see what others with similar gun and round are reporting. So, when I start shooting, it's educated, not random. I let them burn their barrels...

Reading what works in someone else's gun doesn't tell you what will work in YOURS.

While it may not guarantee results in your rifle, research and tips from other hunters and shooters should give you a clue as to where to start. Often times they do work just as advertised.

I believe you're in dire need of a clue on many subjects.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
If someone wants to send me their partial boxs of 120 bt I'll shoot an elk in the shoulder and report back if there's any difference than normal.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
I'm not sure what would happen with lower velocity. It might work, but I've had uniformly pleasant experiences with TSX's in other calibers, so I'm very likely to go that way.

I only started this thread to see if others had experienced explosiveness with recent production runs of the .284 120 grain NBT, because it wasn't what I had been hearing about.

FC

FC, late to the dance on this thread but if you're loading for a "hog specific" round at closer ranges load them down to 25/2600 ish velocities and place your bullet where it's supposed to go and you will do just fine.

No need to wind them up to 3000fps as that's better suited for further out there.

Worked just peachy out of my 284 Winchester.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You guys saying go with the Barnes because even though they are expensive they are the cheapest part of the hunt must switch bullets to practice?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've never shot Bergers, but I have to admit I am intrigued with their reputation of penetrating several inches and then expanding violantley. It doesn't make sense that they can penetrate hide and muscle for several inches without expansion, then, when they hit the lungs, they come apart.

Like any expanding bullet, I would expect them to start expanding the moment they hit resistance.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I use totally different rifles to practice, and honestly, due to competitive shooting for many years, I flat don't practice much.

But I do shoot a 22 almost all year round at various things on the farm if nothing else... and give the cowbirds heck in the spring with a pellet gun...

Most any rifle is good drop wise and wind wise to 300 yards. Beyond that you have to do a bit of work to make sure you are right. For none of that do I need practice, only verification zero's and any trigger time is practice, doesn't have to be with my go to gun.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by battue
Once again you can't have it all.
Barnes

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by laker
You guys saying go with the Barnes because even though they are expensive they are the cheapest part of the hunt must switch bullets to practice?

I do on the rounds in which I use Barnes bullets.

For instance, the 7mm 120 ttsx/120 Vmax combo flies pretty similarly. Also the 6mm 80ttsx/80 Ballistic Tip. Just started messing with the 210 ttsx/200 SST combo in a 338-06. Have yet to shoot the 200 SSTs at distance to see how they match up, but I'm optimistic.

But to answer your question, I suspect most guy's rifles don't see much practice other than for the obligatory single 3 shot sub MOA group posted on the internet after sight in, and the "DRT" dink once or twice a year (alternately one must post up pics of a "shot up too much meat" or "overpenetrated" dink). So the cost of a few Barnes bullets isn't really an issue.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The closest thing to a "perfect" performer is the Nosler partition. Too many reports from Barnes guys about "penciling" to convince me they are the perfect bullet.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by laker

Yes, I do that. I have accurate loads for each rifle with Barnes, from 22Hornet to my 30-06. I do not use Barnes for plinking rounds.

I do a fair amount of coyote hunting and have 3 rifles for that, a Ruger M77/22 Hornet, Sako L461/222remmag and TC Icon/243win. I only use Barnes in the Hornet for coyotes as I have far less 'runners' using Barnes than any other bullet I tried in that cartridge.

In my experience, Barnes just seem to hit harder. They seem to make a small cartridge hit harder.

Using the 222remmag as an example, when I hit a coyote that's facing me (which is the usual since I call them in) with a Btip or Vmax, they usually get stiff and tip over. When I used softpoints, the front-end would go down, then the hips and frequently the tail would 'wave'. Basically, I have more dramatic kills with Btips or Vmax than with sfpts. In the Hornet, using Barnes (45gr XLC), the results are similar to Btips out the 222RM, inside of 100yds.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
The closest thing to a "perfect" performer is the Nosler partition. Too many reports from Barnes guys about "penciling" to convince me they are the perfect bullet.

I see you took the NAB to Africa. Did they shoot better in your 7RM than the NPT?

Wanting your thoughts on the subject.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes they did Dirt. I have killed probably 150 head of big game with the partitions, and about 60 or so with the AB's. I'm going to refrain from giving the AB's the same high praise I give to the partitions until I take more game with them. However, if I were prodded to having to give my opinion on comparing the two today, I'd say the AB's I've recovered have performed like a tipped partition, and I can find no fault with them yet. They have been a fabulous performer for me and have been slightly more accurate than the partitions have been in most of, but not all of my rifles. When I get partitions to fall into 1" or better groups though I usually call it good though.

I have personally seen big mule deer and aoudad shot with 140-160 AB's with impact velocities from 3300fps (7STW @ 30 yds), to app 1800fps (hogs @ 800yds, 160/7mag) with equally impressive results......60-65% retention. The STW scenario really impressed me with that bullet's performance. You've seen the pics of my African animals, retentions from 50-64%, and very dead (quickly) animals.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Info from others doesn't give the final result for my gun, it sure gives me direction as to where I may or may not need to be spending my time (and barrel).
DF

All it tells you is what worked in their guns.
The reloading manuals give you that same information.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider

While it may not guarantee results in your rifle, research and tips from other hunters and shooters should give you a clue as to where to start. Often times they do work just as advertised.

I believe you're in dire need of a clue on many subjects.

So what has this thread taught you, other than everyone seems to have different results?

Reading a manual will give you a "clue" where to start.
It sounds like you are the one in need, since you repeated what I said:

it may not guarantee results in your rifle

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by battue
Once again you can't have it all.
Barnes

Disagree, based on this thread. You want to hit shoulders with speed, even with Barnes-which may be my favorite do it all, but I do like NBT's-you will have a good chance of more than a little lost meat.

You want to save meat and still aim for shoulders, then go slower and use a bigger bullet and you don't need a Barnes and Barnes may not be the best choice slowed down.

Hit them in the head and they all work and you save meat. Maybe in that case you can have it all, but most are not willing to go there.

Last edited by battue; 10/08/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
[/quote]
I have found the 120's to be inconsistent in performance. I run them around 2,900fps out of 7-08. Sometimes I have seen what Mule Deer described, and other times I've seen what you posted in the OP.
Travis

Same experience here. I have killed two deer with the 120BT @ 3,200fps out of my .280 that turned me off. Now I use 120gr TTSX. Both times the bullet exploded and basically looked as if you had unzipped them down the side with guts hanging out, one quartering towards and the other away. Zero penetration and was a awful mess trying to salvage any meat.
My nephew killed a deer using same rifle and different load @ 2,890/fps and it worked great. I will not use them over 2,900/fps.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Info from others doesn't give the final result for my gun, it sure gives me direction as to where I may or may not need to be spending my time (and barrel).
DF

All it tells you is what worked in their guns.
The reloading manuals give you that same information.

Loading manuals give info, but not the same as user info. The manuals tend to be more general and don't give the specifics I like.

I use both.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes. that "user info" has really been helpful on this thread, huh?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Well, yes.

I got good info from JG on his NPT vs. NAB experience. You don't see that in loading manuals. I see others have experienced blood shot meat at impact with TTSX's. Ed didn't see the logic in high speed, light for caliber bullets for game and from what I've seen, he may be right.

All these bits of info and nuances of bullet performance on game go into my "computer" as I work thru loads to achieve what I want for a particular rifle.

I don't get that from loading manuals. To me the main use for loading manuals is to double check user loads and make sure they're in the ballpark with tested loads.

Some books, like Ken Waters Pet Loads, give more detailed info than loading manuals. It's the nitty gritty details I'm look for. As they say, the devil's in the details.

Otherwise, what kinda Loony would I be...?

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 10/08/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mule Deer answered this already. Shut up and listen. grin He's right.

LOL
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

325 members (22250rem, 163bc, 12344mag, 22magnut, 10ring1, 160user, 36 invisible), 1,308 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,849
Posts18,517,532
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.