Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by viking
We have prisons for people and sometimes executions ( not enough).

Agreed.

My big problem is that I have some sympathy and even empathy for animals. They don't go out with mal intent on their minds.

I don't feel the same about people and wish we could summarily dispense with many of them the way some do with snakes.

Oh, well.....no good ( or at least legal.... whistle ) solution. grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I'm now in the, "Kill 'em!" camp.

During last week's hog hunt, the helper kid came to the cabin & asked us if we wanted the one he just ran over. We fetched it out of the road, & filmed the video below.

Keep in mind, the snake's head was cut off with a shovel over 15 minutes before we took the video. It gets pretty interesting around 0:46.

Dead Snake?

And yes, the snake's heart was still beating (shown from 1:00 - 1:08), & lungs still moving, even without a head or skin on it. shocked

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
I've heard of folks cooking up rattle snake meat, how does the copper hear or cotton mouth taste in comparison? any special caution in cleaning a venomous snake in regards to contaminating any of the meat with the venom?

just cut off the head and dont mess with it other than bury it....snake nervous systems are real primitive and can bite you a fair while after death not to mention if you brush against the fang and it breaks the skin you will likely get some venom in your system....not as bad as a full bite but not the best idea either....only venomous snake im aware of with venom glands extending into the body is the Malaysian coral snake(Calliophis bivirgatus) which go into 1/3 the length of the body

[Linked Image]

plus snake venom is just a protein, heat from cooking it would destroy it like any other complex protein....

Last edited by rattler; 10/13/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rattler, I thought that you might be interested that my Brother-in-law that I gave a couple of rattlesnakes to, has more now. Someone gave him, three I think, young half diamondback and half timber rattlers. This man crossed them and told him that most do not live or are born dead but this litter of 8 all survived. The ones that he has are about 18 inches to 24 inches long. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
surprising number of hybrids in the hobby at the moment....some work better than others due to how close or far apart they are in relation....

not big on killing venomous snakes but given a trip to the hospital for snake bite generally runs $100,000 i dont begrudge anyone for killing them around buildings and such.....hell i aint against killing one if ive got a use for a hide off one....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Some see it as dangerous snake, appears to me to be a mighty fine hatband. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I am from central Georgia, where we had plenty of copperheads, along with rattlesnakes, and lots and lots of water moccasins in the Oconee River swamps.
Up here in the wilderness of the NC mountains, no rattlers or water moccasins. But we do have copperheads.

Like someone said, I have had quite a few snakes on my propane tank. Have hardly ever seen a snake on my 48 acres, on the ground.
See, Mrs. Mouse likes to build a nest on top of the propane tank. The snakes climb up there to eat the mice, and then they stick around.
I have caught 2 corn snakes and 3 black snakes under that propane tank lid.
One time, there was a corn snake and a black snake up there together, I'm not sure what they were up to but I think it is illegal here in the Deep South.
Gotta be careful with the corn snake, color is almost identical to the copperhead. The tell-tale difference is, the corn snake's head is the same diameter as the body, where the copperhead has the arrow head shaped head, and is about twice as wide as the body.

Over the years I have killed 2 copperheads that I caught on the tank but it bothered me.
I just don't like to kill one of God's creatures if I can help it.
So I got my snake tongs off of ebay. Now it is "catch and release."

You're half right. There are Rattlesnakes up here, just nowhere near as many as there are Copperheads.

-Brian-
Whatever you do, do well.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Up here in the wilderness of the NC mountains, no rattlers or water moccasins. But we do have copperheads.

I can take you to a particular mountain outside Boone, NC and show you all the buzz bombs you want.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rattler
...only venomous snake im aware of with venom glands extending into the body is the Malaysian coral snake(Calliophis bivirgatus) which go into 1/3 the length of the body

[Linked Image]

rattler

Man, that is a gorgeous snake!

Thanks for including the scientific name so science geeks like me can read up on it a bit more! smile

John

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by rattler
...only venomous snake im aware of with venom glands extending into the body is the Malaysian coral snake(Calliophis bivirgatus) which go into 1/3 the length of the body

[Linked Image]

rattler

Man, that is a gorgeous snake!

Thanks for including the scientific name so science geeks like me can read up on it a bit more! smile

John

My scientific name for that would be Shotgunus numerous. grin

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's rather cheerful in color. Never seen that species before but I suspect it's real bad news if you get bit smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by eh76
Venomous snakes get no quarter here.....

Works for me!!

My ranch is located at 7800' elevation, so I rarely see any Rattlers. That being said, I was cutting & splitting rounds a couple of years ago, and saw a fair sized Rattler. So, not thinking, I picked up the chainsaw and was going to cut that sucker in half. Well, it didn't quite work out that way. The chainsaw did a number on him alright, but it also picked him up, and threw him right back in my face.

I didn't know I could scream like a little girl, or a man my age would dance that fast, but I darn sure did. I guess I just didn't realize, quite how much, I would hate having a snake flopping around my face & shoulders

In any case, the next time I see a Rattler in the woodpile here, I think I'll pick up a hoe, shotgun, slingshot, or squirt-gun, but I won't be using a chainsaw on a dam snake, ever again!!

Respects,
Richard

Cat, the other white meat!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have in North Carolina who was bit by a Copperhead. Her hospital bill ran $60,000. She then called my wife because she couldn't find .22 ammo locally.

I just shipped her a brick of .22 to help with the payback

"The liberals preach tolerance and diversity until presented with an opinion other than their own."
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Buckskin

Works for me!!

My ranch is located at 7800' elevation, so I rarely see any Rattlers. That being said, I was cutting & splitting rounds a couple of years ago, and saw a fair sized Rattler. So, not thinking, I picked up the chainsaw and was going to cut that sucker in half. Well, it didn't quite work out that way. The chainsaw did a number on him alright, but it also picked him up, and threw him right back in my face.

I didn't know I could scream like a little girl, or a man my age would dance that fast, but I darn sure did. I guess I just didn't realize, quite how much, I would hate having a snake flopping around my face & shoulders

In any case, the next time I see a Rattler in the woodpile here, I think I'll pick up a hoe, shotgun, slingshot, or squirt-gun, but I won't be using a chainsaw on a dam snake, ever again!!

Respects,
Richard

The visual alone made me LMAO! Wished I could have seen that. And, yes I would have hauled-azzzz leaving you with snake all up in your face.

Sorry!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
By that criteria it should be our civic duty to pull bad drivers over and kill them too.

I don't see a problem with that.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I didn't say there were no rattlers in Boone. I have never been there, but it is hours away from my place.
I meant that there are no rattlers in southern Madison County.
I have lived here 18 years and have never seen a rattler, and local guys who lived here all their lives have never seen one.
I have been told that there are a few rattlers about 40 miles away to the north.

Some of y'all boys like to argue.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I didn't say there were no rattlers in Boone. I have never been there, but it is hours away from my place.
I meant that there are no rattlers in southern Madison County.
I have lived here 18 years and have never seen a rattler, and local guys who lived here all their lives have never seen one.
I have been told that there are a few rattlers about 40 miles away to the north.

Some of y'all boys like to argue.

I live and work around Marshall, saw 2 Rattlers hanging around my old shop at Petersburg occasionally, one was caught by a buddy of mine and displayed at Coates' Country store in a bottle for a few days before it was kilt. That's about 4 miles from Marshall.

Additionally, some of my acquaintances who live out that way say Doe Branch (about 6 miles north by northwest of Marshall) is eat up with Rattlesnakes.

Last edited by blynyrd; 10/13/14.

-Brian-
Whatever you do, do well.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
bet your LP delivery driver needs combat pay. Looks like trimming the vines and crap around the tank are in order

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by blynyrd
I am from central Georgia, where we had plenty of copperheads, along with rattlesnakes, and lots and lots of water moccasins in the Oconee River swamps.

Like someone said, I have had quite a few snakes on my propane tank. Have hardly ever seen a snake on my 48 acres, on the ground.
See, Mrs. Mouse likes to build a nest on top of the propane tank. The snakes climb up there to eat the mice, and then they stick around.
I have caught 2 corn snakes and 3 black snakes under that propane tank lid.
One time, there was a corn snake and a black snake up there together, I'm not sure what they were up to but I think it is illegal here in the Deep South.
Gotta be careful with the corn snake, color is almost identical to the copperhead. The tell-tale difference is, the corn snake's head is the same diameter as the body, where the copperhead has the arrow head shaped head, and is about twice as wide as the body.

Over the years I have killed 2 copperheads that I caught on the tank but it bothered me.
I just don't like to kill one of God's creatures if I can help it.
So I got my snake tongs off of ebay. Now it is "catch and release."

You're half right. There are Rattlesnakes up here, just nowhere near as many as there are Copperheads.

You are correct there are some big rattlers in those mountains. One just have to get out of town to see a few. Go south west to Spring Creek and Haywood CO. they are there.

Last edited by BIGR; 10/13/14.

NEVER GIVE UP
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

yep, dead.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 2,035 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,877
Posts18,478,964
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.