-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 101st aren't medical epidemiologists. The CDC isn't going (and is bungling the handling of it here). NIH isn't going, though they eventually move the domestic cases to their facility just outside of DC.

We advise African nations on exactly how to deal with this disease outbreak and others. Yet, when it comes to dealing with it ourselves, we don't do one damned thing we have advised them to do (and they have proven that it works). Hell, Nigeria followed the long-standing guidelines to a "T", and their minister of health (trained at UAB) is now being credited with "Saving Lives - Millions at a Time" (yeah, that ought to frost some cookies) in that nation. Yet, we won't do the very simple things that he did in protecting his own nation.

So, tell me again, why is that?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Because we're not ground zero, nor are we a 3rd world country. We have a grand total of 4 patients.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I agree on the medical people, that's what I was talking about. As for the military, I don't get why we're sending them, unless they're from military epidemiology. The two biggest experts on Ebola are the CDC and the US Army.

There's a lot we don't know about what's needed in west Africa, what the 101st Airborne's role over there is going to be, and what other resources are being sent.

We do know that local military in Liberia, Sierra Leone and other nations are being utilized to maintain civil order, keep the cordons sanitaires intact, etc.

The U.S. Army has more medical people appropriate to this disaster than most folks realize. They will need support and security, I'd expect that the 101st could be there to fulfill that role.

From what we know of previous outbreaks, the skilled docs/scientists working inside the contagious area are from all over the world, but many of them have background from CDC. Just because they're not immediately attached to CDC at present doesn't mean they're not affiliated with CDC.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
We have a 3rd world president.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Because we're not ground zero, nor are we a 3rd world country. We have a grand total of 4 patients.

That's the exact hubris that got us any patients at all, and right now we only have 4 (that we know of). "We're special, and we're different, therefore we don't have to do anything that we advise other countries to do because we're just better than them."

That kind of thinking in a dangerous situation (combat, infectious disease outbreak, hazardous jobs, etc.) is the crap that gets people killed.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good Lord some of you guys either have too much time on your hands, or are just little girls. Stop freaking out and let the CDC and the healthcare experts just do their job; the world will continue rotating. Buncha little biches.

The CDC is so f*cked it doesn't know if it's afoot or horseback.

The CDC just said you can't get Ebola sitting next to someone on a bus but you can infect someone sitting on a bus.

NBC just reported Emperor Obama is going to sign an executive order sending National Guard to Libya.

The regime is totally clueless as to what is up and what is down.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
And now we have 3,000 soldiers there who will certainly be infected to some level............what a waste & to what end?

MM
WE are their best chance at beating this. We have the workers and the experts to deal with this, they don't. Their medical system has collapsed, so the only way we can deal with this at the source is to send our people and resources there. Not sure why we have soldiers there, that kinda sucks. But we need to send willing medical providers there to help deal with the situation or it will continue to spread and become pandemic.

If we stop all flights, then people will just smuggle themselves into nations that are flying, and either catch direct or indirect flights. By allowing the flights we at least have some control. By not allowing the flights, then people who want to get back to their families will start seeking other methods, and that will take much larger numbers of infected people to non-infected areas. If they come here directly, our medical system can handle it. The threat is actually LESS by continuing the flights. If we stop the flights, then we are really risking a pandemic when people start seeking alternate travel methods.

Boy you sure have drank the kool aid.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I agree on the medical people, that's what I was talking about. As for the military, I don't get why we're sending them, unless they're from military epidemiology. The two biggest experts on Ebola are the CDC and the US Army.

And the experts at the CDC are clueless idiots.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager

That's the exact hubris that got us any patients at all, and right now we only have 4 (that we know of). "We're special, and we're different, therefore we don't have to do anything that we advise other countries to do because we're just better than them."

That kind of thinking in a dangerous situation (combat, infectious disease outbreak, hazardous jobs, etc.) is the crap that gets people killed.
Well we disagree. I think your approach would accelerate the spread in African nations, and then eventually you won't be able to contain it in Africa.

I honestly think we'll have more than 4 patients, quite a few more. But if you think the US is going to get out of this completely unscathed even with a flight ban you're kidding yourself.

I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well we disagree. I think your approach would accelerate the spread in African nations, and then eventually you won't be able to contain it in Africa.

I honestly think we'll have more than 4 patients, quite a few more. But if you think the US is going to get out of this completely unscathed even with a flight ban you're kidding yourself.

I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one.

You're more than welcome to disagree with me, and with the protocols that CDC delivers to every other country when advising them about how to deal with Ebola, and a myriad of public health and infectious disease experts.

Flip this around: if this were any other hazardous situation (combat, highly dangerous job, etc.), would you be advising NOT following accepted and proven protocol as a means of dealing with the threat?

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

That's the count right now...how many by the end of the month? CDC predicted last month that the number of cases world wide could reach 1.4 million by January... http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/23/world/africa/ebola-outbreak/index.html

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Flight bans, travel restrictions, and refusing entry by anyone with a passport or visa originating in the epidemic zones would of been the obvious move.

The fact is, it would of cost mucho political capitol. The administration would of been blamed for trying to crash the economy with knee jerk Biden-esque reactions. So instead, they do nothing, hoping it will be a few cases and peter out in time for the elections.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You're more than welcome to disagree with me, and with the protocols that CDC delivers to every other country when advising them about how to deal with Ebola, and a myriad of public health and infectious disease experts.

Flip this around: if this were any other hazardous situation (combat, highly dangerous job, etc.), would you be advising NOT following accepted and proven protocol as a means of dealing with the threat?
The advice they're giving is for ground zero in a 3rd world nation. That's different from how we handle it. We're not 3rd world, nor are we ground zero of the outbreak.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

The advice they're giving is for ground zero in a 3rd world nation. That's different from how we handle it. We're not 3rd world, nor are we ground zero of the outbreak.

You're right Kevin. We are vastly more important than some thirld world schit-hole....which is precisely why the protocols here should be alot more advanced than they are over there

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Did you miss the part about that kind of hubris being what gets people killed?

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hubris only applies to those who can't handle it.

AKA, everyone else.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gitem_12
You're right Kevin. We are vastly more important than some thirld world schit-hole....which is precisely why the protocols here should be alot more advanced than they are over there
If we stop the flights, people will seek other method, below board. That will spread the disease in ways that are VERY difficult to control, to any number of nations, and can push the disease much further than it is now. That worsens the risk at the source, and everyone will tell you that the disease has to be beat at the source.

Relax, this is not the end of the world.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fish head
Originally Posted by derby_dude
No need to panic guys just accept that 2/3rds or more of the population in the US will die from Ebola and you will probably be one and you can get on with whatever life you have left.

I'm serious this virus will go through the US like a house on fire. There's no way to contain it especially in the large metropolitan urban areas.

I heard that if you bath in fluoridated water it will kill the virus and ...

Eating canned sardines will boost your immune system and ...

Blue tape covering your nostrils will prevent inhaling airborne particles and ...

At the first sign of fever consuming large quantities of scotch (with fluoridated water ice cubes) will knock the chit out of the ebola virus and ...

If none of the above works ... shave your junk. grin

Don't worry DD. The campfire has your back. You're not going to die. smile

LMAO!!! grin grin

I'm screwed. We drink well water. eek

I did tell the wife to shave her junk, however. whistle

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The way I see it, if ANYONE has Ebola, it IS ground zero. Each patient has his/her very own ground zero when it comes to spreading/not spreading the virus.

It should be treated as such.

Whether we are a 3rd world country or not makes not a bit of difference to the virus.

Containment is all that will effectively stop this.

If there is another case of Ebola here, then someone wasn't contained or quarantined to prevent that spread.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by derby_dude

The US has more open travel than almost any other country in the world. Look at the nurse that traveled on the air liner the other day that has Ebola. Now the flight crew is guaranteed for 21 days but they have probably infected God knows how many, we'll have to wait and see see. Look at all the passengers on the plane and they went everywhere.

There are only four hospitals in the US that can handle Ebola patients but only a few at a time. No hospital in the US can handle a pandemic.

Then we have the 3,000 plus military personal in Libya. If you think they are going to come back infection free think again.

Oh yes, the medical people know that the virus lives for about 90 days in male semen. If you think men are going to suddenly stop have coitus think again.

Look guys I hope I'm wrong but based on the past performance of this regime I'm not holding out much hope and apparently neither is the stock market.

Now what??? Libya???

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (alffe, 6mmCreedmoor, 375sunrise, 257robertsimp, 15 invisible), 817 guests, and 883 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,909
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.