Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

For those reasons I am much more inclined to choose a 6x or 3-9x SWFA SS, NF Compact, etc.

Is that it Formidilosus?
Three choices for hunting?
What about the Bushnell 3-12x44 LRHS?
I have a FX3 6X42 but would like a low power variable because I hunt in very tight cover for the most part, but there are two places where I could stretch it out to 600 yards..
The SWFA line is not an option for me as I don't live in the states and they don't export or I would have one..
Thanks

rgrx1276, sorry for butting in here..

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Jeezus Gawdamned Pfhuqq...the mind numbing Dumbpfhuqqtitude here NEVER disappoints in it's incredible hilarity. Thanks for doing your "best"!

You got the Haybale & Crockett Crowd hitting the high-pitched Whine,being "lucky" enough to "brag" that their "Life" worth of "experience" is pfhuqqing dismal at best and wearing same "proudly",as a badge of "honor". EPIC hilarity! Pfhuqqing WOW +P+! Texans are reliably THE Dumbest of Pfhuqqs and 'Raider never disappoints,with her 7 pokes a year of "findings". Holy schit,I'm pfhuqqing crying I'm laughing sooooooooooo pfhuqqing hard!!!

Then there's the Techno KoolAid Drinkers and their razzle-dazzle "Tests",with all their Whizbangery,which includes everything that doesn't matter and skips the things that do...which is actually shooting the pfhuqqing glass. A leetle hint for them Drooling Window Licking Pfhuqqs,in that all glass does "better",when it's "merit" is factored without firing rounds through same. Hint. Laffin'! Re-wow!

Then for frosting and going for the jugular,a 6x42 "Treatise" on how they'll not deliver the goods in close confines. FUNNIEST schit I've read from you poor poor STUPID pfhuqqers in quite some time! THANKS for the colossal laughs!

Now for them FEW that actually shoot,none of this schit is too "difficult". Simply gun a pfhuqqing zero,zero turrets in accords and then extrapolate 100yd lineal vertical findings,by dialing copious dope and returning to zero betwixt pokes. Trends will readily appear,dots get connected and money goes in the Bank. Conduct bidness via them findings and literally run with it,less a fret. Hint.

A 4"x4" "box test" will reveal nothing but humor,though full erector travel swings,will reliably etch particulars in stone,when pokes is flunged betwixt them gross erector travels. Re-hint.

Will have some Troops in tow for a 3wk November To Remember and will certainly take the time to gun some footage,if only to rub the noses of AMAZINGLY stupid pfhuqqers in their own stupidity,so they can obliviously continue to wax eloquent on "all" the things they "think" they "know" and funnier yet,"do".

Snake Oil,Haybale & Crockett and McGyver all wrapped up into one Drooling Jerry Lewis Telethon...you Stupid Pfhuqqers are a hoot!

Now for poignant descending bullet points.

Oh sooooooooooooo WOW.

Bless your hearts.

Thank me later.

Just sayin'.

Laffin'!

Hint.

Now as to the OP,a 2.8" Skinner smooch in a Ruger is a trite throat,but I'll always take that over Linda Lovelace. Knock the sights offa that thang and you are making gains.

Given some familiarity with the dismal flight characteristics of a 308,you'd certainly wanna pad POA/POI latitude and that is accomplished on a Ruger,via copious erector latitude(now that PosiLign rings are no longer offered for same). I'd be inclined to go Reupold 30mm rings and Pfhixxed Pfhuqq that bitch,while banking the 150MOA+ of latitude. Hint. Hell...I even hear good things about 'em in 6X and MOA/Mil or Mil/Mil wouldn't make a schit to me,though it's a theme of sorts,that lotsa blinkers react favorably to the Retro Mil Reticle,over the finer MQ...though dat's subjective. 5 Mils of Skinner wind subtension,will cover some real estate and some atmospherics. Hint.

If a guy ain't gunning crosshair intersection and sliding wind,he's missing more than a few boats.

I'd add pics,but it wouldn't be "fair".

Good talk.

Laffin'!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I love it when Stick is on R&R and can set things straight.

Nice talk! eek

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The LRHS has been good, but I've only seen a few really used and therefore am hesitant to openly say they're as solid yet.

There are a few more options in scopes suitable for hunting, but there really aren't that many because the market isn't demanding it. Hunters think "glass" instead of whether the thing works as the responses in this thread reveal. No one would accept a vehicle anymore that only went 20k miles before major problems, yet they are lining up for POS scopes cause- "the interior".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is one of my $hitty 308s with even $hittier Mark 4 16x40 M1s that don't track. Built by George Gardner, cosmetics by Kampfeld.

Imagine how much I could shrink those 1.25" 500 yd groups if I had a decent scope on it. Laffin'.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It wore a SS for a spell, as the second set of M1s were being replaced:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My issue with the SS wasn't repeatability, but the absolutely HORRID turrets. One was audible, other wasn't. Both were as mushy as the worn M1s I was replacing. Kinda like Zeiss Conquest "target turrets". God they suck. I gotta assume they are better now, as I know Stick prefers M1s to all others, as do I, and anything else pales in comparison. Ain't noticed that he's bitched about the SWFA SS turrets. Even my NF NXS knobs are not as good as a crisp set of M1s IMO.....

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
The LRHS has been good, but I've only seen a few really used and therefore am hesitant to openly say they're as solid yet.

There are a few more options in scopes suitable for hunting, but there really aren't that many because the market isn't demanding it. Hunters think "glass" instead of whether the thing works as the responses in this thread reveal. No one would accept a vehicle anymore that only went 20k miles before major problems, yet they are lining up for POS scopes cause- "the interior".

Thanks Formidilosus..
By the time hunters start thinking beyond "glass" and demanding more robust variable scopes that track to perfection I'll be long gone..
I will probably just stick with the 6X42 for the times I need to dial long range..

Last edited by Nrut; 10/18/14.

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Boxer
Jeezus Gawdamned Pfhuqq...the mind numbing Dumbpfhuqqtitude here NEVER disappoints in it's incredible hilarity. Thanks for doing your "best"!

You got the Haybale & Crockett Crowd hitting the high-pitched Whine,being "lucky" enough to "brag" that their "Life" worth of "experience" is pfhuqqing dismal at best and wearing same "proudly",as a badge of "honor". EPIC hilarity! Pfhuqqing WOW +P+! Texans are reliably THE Dumbest of Pfhuqqs and 'Raider never disappoints,with her 7 pokes a year of "findings". Holy schit,I'm pfhuqqing crying I'm laughing sooooooooooo pfhuqqing hard!!!

Then there's the Techno KoolAid Drinkers and their razzle-dazzle "Tests",with all their Whizbangery,which includes everything that doesn't matter and skips the things that do...which is actually shooting the pfhuqqing glass. A leetle hint for them Drooling Window Licking Pfhuqqs,in that all glass does "better",when it's "merit" is factored without firing rounds through same. Hint. Laffin'! Re-wow!

Then for frosting and going for the jugular,a 6x42 "Treatise" on how they'll not deliver the goods in close confines. FUNNIEST schit I've read from you poor poor STUPID pfhuqqers in quite some time! THANKS for the colossal laughs!

Now for them FEW that actually shoot,none of this schit is too "difficult". Simply gun a pfhuqqing zero,zero turrets in accords and then extrapolate 100yd lineal vertical findings,by dialing copious dope and returning to zero betwixt pokes. Trends will readily appear,dots get connected and money goes in the Bank. Conduct bidness via them findings and literally run with it,less a fret. Hint.

A 4"x4" "box test" will reveal nothing but humor,though full erector travel swings,will reliably etch particulars in stone,when pokes is flunged betwixt them gross erector travels. Re-hint.

Will have some Troops in tow for a 3wk November To Remember and will certainly take the time to gun some footage,if only to rub the noses of AMAZINGLY stupid pfhuqqers in their own stupidity,so they can obliviously continue to wax eloquent on "all" the things they "think" they "know" and funnier yet,"do".

Snake Oil,Haybale & Crockett and McGyver all wrapped up into one Drooling Jerry Lewis Telethon...you Stupid Pfhuqqers are a hoot!

Now for poignant descending bullet points.

Oh sooooooooooooo WOW.

Bless your hearts.

Thank me later.

Just sayin'.

Laffin'!

Hint.

Now as to the OP,a 2.8" Skinner smooch in a Ruger is a trite throat,but I'll always take that over Linda Lovelace. Knock the sights offa that thang and you are making gains.

Given some familiarity with the dismal flight characteristics of a 308,you'd certainly wanna pad POA/POI latitude and that is accomplished on a Ruger,via copious erector latitude(now that PosiLign rings are no longer offered for same). I'd be inclined to go Reupold 30mm rings and Pfhixxed Pfhuqq that bitch,while banking the 150MOA+ of latitude. Hint. Hell...I even hear good things about 'em in 6X and MOA/Mil or Mil/Mil wouldn't make a schit to me,though it's a theme of sorts,that lotsa blinkers react favorably to the Retro Mil Reticle,over the finer MQ...though dat's subjective. 5 Mils of Skinner wind subtension,will cover some real estate and some atmospherics. Hint.

If a guy ain't gunning crosshair intersection and sliding wind,he's missing more than a few boats.

I'd add pics,but it wouldn't be "fair".

Good talk.

Laffin'!

Wow Box, you really like to type. The sights are there for a reason, and thanks for the input.
best to you, you F*kkin f*ck...and bless your heart.

Rgr-x

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Weaver K4 4x38
Weaver K6 6x38
Leupold FXII 4x33
Leupold FXII 6x36
Leupold FXIII 6x42

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
Ruger Hawkeye SS action and bottom metal
21" Lilja 1-10 in 308 Win throated for 155 Scenars at 2.8 touching leade of rifling
NECG express sights
McMillan stock in GAP camo
All metal work finished in cerakote

I'm thinking a nightforce 2-10 with velocity 600 reticule, or Leupold what?

[Linked Image]

Top choice is Leupold 3-9x40 Mark AR Mod 1 with green Firedot TMR reticle. I would say for $400 there isn't anything better out there. That is what I'm going to get for my .300H&H.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Slavek

Top choice is Leupold 3-9x40 Mark AR Mod 1 with green Firedot TMR reticle. I would say for $400 there isn't anything better out there. That is what I'm going to get for my .300H&H.

Seriously? The Mark AR has VX1 coatings and I bet VX1 glass too. For $400 you can get an optic that will smoke the VX1 and VX2 and comfortably edge out the VX3. You might not get the illumination but if you have to pick between glass quality and illumination, I'd go with glass first. I think you owe it to yourself to go compare scopes in low light situations. You may find that you'd rather be able to see your target rather than just see the illuminated dot inside a darkish circle. Or you may decide you have to have that fire dot. Look at them first, though.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rovert

Seriously? The Mark AR has VX1 coatings and I bet VX1 glass too. For $400 you can get an optic that will smoke the VX1 and VX2 and comfortably edge out the VX3. You might not get the illumination but if you have to pick between glass quality and illumination, I'd go with glass first. I think you owe it to yourself to go compare scopes in low light situations. You may find that you'd rather be able to see your target rather than just see the illuminated dot inside a darkish circle. Or you may decide you have to have that fire dot. Look at them first, though.

What do you recommend. I want something where reticle isn't "lost" against cluttered background? Trijicon Accupoint is nice but so is $800+.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Try looking at a #4 ,#4a, or #1 reticle in scopes in your price range. Those reticles show up well in low light. Meopta Meopro is the first that comes to mind. Zeiss Conquests with the #4 can still be found.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As I cleared page two of this thread I had decided I was going to post at the end of page three: "This thread almost makes me yearn for the pontifications of Boxer". I come to page three and there it is. Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it. Hello again Boxer my old friend.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by rovert

What do you recommend. I want something where reticle isn't "lost" against cluttered background? Trijicon Accupoint is nice but so is $800+.

I don't know what he'd recommend, but I agree with him that a Mark Ar isn't anything to write home about for $400. I had the one you mentioned, and sold it. The TMR reticle is coarse and not particularly usable (it's not even close to a real etched TMR you find in higher end Leupys) and the green dot is okay but nothing special.

If a guy is really wanting the illuminated dot in a scope, I'd add another $100 to that $400 and pick up a VXR. I have one in 3-9x40 and like the firedot duplex, which has a red dot that stands out better than the green, and the glass is a step up. And the VXR would altogether look nicer on a huntng rifle than the mark AR.

Last edited by Walter_Sobchak; 10/19/14.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
As far as inaccurate adjustment goes, you can measure what the click value actually is and input that into several different ballistic calculators and it will correct it all for you....

Well, not the one I'm using. Which ones can do that?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Ballistic AE will do it.

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Ballistic AE will do it.
Yup!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
kchunt smith,

R&R is a smidge away and gotta tend The Salt Mines for a spell.

VERY good call to skirt ALL things The rifle and to Whine instead.

Bless your heart.

Laffin'!

2much',

I haven't any "sponge" turrets in either Mil or MOA,regarding Fixed Pfhuqqers...though I'm still trying. Haven't many more than 20 of 'em thus far,so cain't speak to 'em like I can other Makes,which I've a bunch of.

The MK4 M1 16X offers a fair amount of "up" and I roll one on a Retrostalgic M40A1 Return in 22-250AI(Hart).

[Linked Image]

Drive a 16X MQ too and both are Fair Weather Giggle Glass and have ZERO aptitude as Utility Glass. Hint.

Leupold don't have an answer to the MQ reticle.

[Linked Image]

Have shot lotsa itty-bitty groups at 500yds and beyond,with a goodly smattering of glass.

For Utility,it's tough to trump a straight 10X.

But it's easy for me to say...I got 'em all.(grin)

Nrut,

You REALLY get after it. Laffin'!

You poor poor STUPID Clueless Pfhuqq.

Oh soooooooo Wow.

Hint.

Laffin'!

'1276,

It's a cryin' pfhuqqin' shame that you are too pfhuqqing STUPID,to savvy how far you are in over your pointy head and crossed-eyes. Congratulations?!?

I'll feign my "surprise" that you too,refrained ALL things The Rifle and went right to Whining as well. Bless your heart.

PLEASE keep telling yourself,that Stupidity is a "reason",rather than it's actuality being in fact a plight. Funny schit!

You'll wanna take notes and apply same.

Pfhuqqing hint.

Laffin'!

'72,

Every glass you cite,save the 6x42 is a steaming pile of schit.

Yessssss...I suffer them all.

Hint.

Laffin'!

Slavek,

Holy pfhuqqing schit,THAT scope "suggestion" as per your "experience","knowledge" and "results" is pfhuqqing funny! Say it again. Laffin'!

They don't track for schit. Hint.

Yessssssss...I've BT/DT and have the T-shirt. Have pics somewhere,of course.

REMEMBER,the middle is ALWAYS the middle.

Hint.

Thank me later.

Laffin'!

'ert,

Think erector quality,first. Hint.

Coatings/scmoatings.

Just sayin'.

Laffin'!

TBS,

I reckon I'm plum flattered,that you hang on my every word.

'Course you ain't the only one,nor close. Hint.

Keep taking notes.

Laffin'!

'pole,

You AMAZINGLY stupid pfhuqq,who chews your food for you?!? I'm crying I'm laughing soooooooo hard,as you are 100% at a TOTAL loss,while doing your best. WOW +P++!!!

Paper don't lie,nor is it "tricky". Run it out past max erector latitude,gun come-ups,denote deviation(s),extrapolate same into POA/POI correlation and then The Magic happens.

Hint.

[Linked Image]

Use whatever the pfuqq values you think" your pointy head can process.

[Linked Image]

Dump dope betwixt pokes,for Real World feedback. Re-hint.

1000+ MOA dumped betwixt pokes at the 100yd line,with a new batch of powder...for 3000 MOA ++++ total erector swing,during the fray. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/829/j5ki.jpg[/img]

PLEASE keep doing your "best" and "thinking" for yourself,because you reliably take oblivious humor to a whole new level. Congratulations?!?

20,21 and 22" versions.

[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/673/sUCbuf.jpg[/img]

Laffin'!

Here's hoping Stupid hurts.

Wow.

Good talk.

Re-laffin'!

(Addendum: For The Original Clueless Pfhuqq)

'1276,

Feel free to use as much Imagination and Pretend that it takes,to find me "mistaken" and sing it loud...you Drooling CLUELESS Pfhuqq. That'd be farrrr more than (2) dogs worth of dare.

Laffin'!

Again...I'll feign my "surprise",that you skirted ALL things The Rifle and went right to pfhuqqing Whining,as a means of obliviously quantifying your "best".

Bless your heart.

Do NOT let the cat get your tongue,nor the couch your kchunt!

Hint.

Laffin'!

You are doing "great".

Wow +P+!!!

Re-hint of 1000 words.

[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/839/hy08.jpg[/img]

Just sayin'!

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Boxy, you stupid F*kkin Chunt, another know it all little girl from Alaska that thinks you�ve done all and seen all, and don't know schidt.. cool

Bless your heart and drive on.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good post. Yeah, I bought the 16x40 M1 for specific purpose and "lotsa up" was the main reason.

Much as I love my Leupolds, for precision/LR $hit the M4 10X and 16X are the only 2 I truly trust. For general hunting, I have/use a $hit ton of them and they do just fine.

The only other scopes I run LR are NF NXSs.

I another thread, (which I was asked to not trash so respected the OPs wishes, I was asked about "tactical" scopes or what I thought "tactical" was. I know wtf tactical means and am not hung up on the term. Call it a target scope, precision LR scope, or whatever the f**K you want. Point being, it's about matching the scope to the rifle, and intended purpose. I like light. 20 oz. plus scopes on general hunting rifles do not horn me up. I wonder if some here even know what a well balanced/handling rifle is any more. If they want a NF NXS on a M7, whatever, not my cup of mud. On a heavy gun, I don't give a $hit. On a hunting rifle, the 4.5-14x40 with M1s is the heaviest $hit I've used(which is RARELY), or care to. It's not about looking out of place, but FEELING out of place.

I must admit, you have me a bit interested in the 6X or 10X SWFA SS. You are a he11 of a salesman brutha. Hopefully the turrets are better than the POS I had.

Be good..........

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 60 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,943
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.