Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
all ya really need is the right clothing, and a poncho that will wrap around both a low ridgeline and the hammock, too. There's culverts, vehicles, sheds, trailers, all sorts of shelter within a day's walk of almost anyplace in the lower 48 states. So why would you stay out in the weather and suffer unnecessarily?

Last edited by squesh; 10/22/14.
GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
This sort of info is what I mean about "efficiently using modern gear".

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
These old skills are very cool but also a lot of fun. When my wife and I are on our frequent roadtrips and hunting/fishing trips we will use really bad weather days to see how we would do if broken down in a remote area. Sometimes we use only what is in the truck. Sometimes only what is in our packs. I have found this keeps us honest when making our preps. Something as basic as a small lightweight tarp can be a gamechanger. Trying to make a fire during a pouring Nov. rain in the forests of Idaho w/ a firesteel will inform you as to the importance of prepacked tinder.

I recently watched a video of Dave Canterbury testing an axe. He did everything from cutting down a tree to shaving tinder from the log. Neat stuff, thanks to all for the new sources to investigate.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
BTW,as long as you got the neurons firing, think about a shelter built over a hammock between two trees.

It comes in handy.

There is a Hennessey Hammock about 5' from me as I type this...

Sadly, it's not mine.

I've been eyeballing a Warbonnet Blackbird and a few different tarp varieties.

You can put way too much money into hammocks if one wants to with underquilts, overquilts, and so on.

Hammocks look comfy!

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by squesh
So why would you stay out in the weather and suffer unnecessarily?

Who said anything about suffering?

Most of us here actually enjoy being outdoors...

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I've been flintknapping since 1996, and have gotten serious about it in the past 7 years. Been building and hunting with selfbows since then also.

Both have been a serious addiction, especially the flintknapping. I love working local cherts like Ft. Payne and it's variant Buffalo River. Love working Dover chert also. My cousin and I just got back from a rock run out to Craig Ratzat's Keokuk quarry in Quawpaw Oklahoma a couple of weeks ago.

Gathering materials like bow wood and chert is almost as much fun as making weapons from them.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lvmiker
These old skills are very cool but also a lot of fun. When my wife and I are on our frequent roadtrips and hunting/fishing trips we will use really bad weather days to see how we would do if broken down in a remote area. Sometimes we use only what is in the truck. Sometimes only what is in our packs. I have found this keeps us honest when making our preps. Something as basic as a small lightweight tarp can be a gamechanger. Trying to make a fire during a pouring Nov. rain in the forests of Idaho w/ a firesteel will inform you as to the importance of prepacked tinder.

I recently watched a video of Dave Canterbury testing an axe. He did everything from cutting down a tree to shaving tinder from the log. Neat stuff, thanks to all for the new sources to investigate.

mike r

Thanks for this.

I've been thinking that it could be fun, almost game like, activity for me to do with the kids.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by paint
I've been flintknapping since 1996, and have gotten serious about it in the past 7 years. Been building and hunting with selfbows since then also.

Both have been a serious addiction, especially the flintknapping. I love working local cherts like Ft. Payne and it's variant Buffalo River. Love working Dover chert also. My cousin and I just got back from a rock run out to Craig Ratzat's Keokuk quarry in Quawpaw Oklahoma a couple of weeks ago.

Gathering materials like bow wood and chert is almost as much fun as making weapons from them.

I know those areas that you frequent.

One day I'll have to see about meeting up with you and trying to gain some knowledge from you.

Skilled flint nappers are awesome to watch.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
As a teenager, I about wore out the "Foxfire" series of books at the local library. I did all kinds of stuff shown in them, and especially enjoyed the chapters on snares, traps, tanning, etc. You've gotten me interested into seeing if I can find a set of them.......... wink

I'd love to practice some primitive trapping, however I do not believe it's legal in Alabama where I live...

Turdlike, by default.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
HAJ, be careful. A group of real users on this site tweaked my interest in axes and their application. It is expensive but I am proud to say I still have all my fingers and toes. I have been working to improve my survival skills all my life but still feel constantly challenged and humbled. I am just starting to learn how to fish, this schidt can be hard, and expensive. Have fun!

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HugAJackass, a good book on knapping that has helped me when I was having some problems understanding what I was doing wrong is The Art of Flint Knapping by D C Waldorf. It has some illustrations that make it easy to see what is going on and what should be going on. That doesn't mean that knapping will be easy, because it isn't. Like most skills it takes practice.

There are plenty of videos out there that show you how to do everything from making the tools to finishing up the notches without busting the point. The book will help you to make sense of what you are seeing on the videos.

Don't hesitate to give it a try.

Harry
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Do any of you guys dabble in this sort of thing?

You know, like flint-napping, shelter building, hide tanning, making cordage or whatnot?

I'm starting to take an interest in these old skills for no other reason than they fascinate me.

It's kind of amazing what Indians could accomplish with a rock.

Wind break from two weeks ago while hunting with daughter and her grandpa:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Worked as cover too. Daughter primed out by the edge and made a 197 yard shot, dropping her first deer.

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Daddy daughter adventure from this spring. We were tired of being cooped up in the house.I figured that bad weather is a great training opportunity.

She learned how to use a knife properly, make feather sticks and get to the dry wood on the inside of wet sticks, then build a fire without matches.

Not exactly primitive, but great lessons for a kid who wants to be in the mountains.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hot cocoa reward for a job well done!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's what I'm talking about!

It just doesn't get much better than that!

Thanks a ton for sharing Mack!

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
HAJ, be careful. A group of real users on this site tweaked my interest in axes and their application. It is expensive but I am proud to say I still have all my fingers and toes. I have been working to improve my survival skills all my life but still feel constantly challenged and humbled. I am just starting to learn how to fish, this schidt can be hard, and expensive. Have fun!

mike r

laugh

Don't I know it!

I've been eyeballing a Gransfor Bruks Small Forest Axe....

I'm already in trouble aren't I? grin

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mathsr
HugAJackass, a good book on knapping that has helped me when I was having some problems understanding what I was doing wrong is The Art of Flint Knapping by D C Waldorf. It has some illustrations that make it easy to see what is going on and what should be going on. That doesn't mean that knapping will be easy, because it isn't. Like most skills it takes practice.

There are plenty of videos out there that show you how to do everything from making the tools to finishing up the notches without busting the point. The book will help you to make sense of what you are seeing on the videos.

Don't hesitate to give it a try.

Thanks again!

I really appreciate the resources!

Turdlike, by default.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Originally Posted by RWE
BTW,as long as you got the neurons firing, think about a shelter built over a hammock between two trees.

It comes in handy.

There is a Hennessey Hammock about 5' from me as I type this...

Hammocks look comfy!

I picked up some pointers from some 10th Mtn boys, and during a rain "event" strung hammocks with a poncho overhead.

Stayed off the wet ground, stayed dry from the rain, and actually got some decent sleep.

Done it a few times since. Makes creepie crawlys take a few extra steps to get to you if they felt inclined.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The only thing I worry about with that set up is cold air underneath of you.

I hear a decent pad and a space blanket go a long ways to fixing that issue.

Turdlike, by default.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Haj,

A big congratulations on the new baby on the way! smile

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

mike r

Hey buddy,

How did your hunt go up by Stanley?? You were in the same general region as my cabin, btw. smile

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 1,743 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,124
Posts18,522,983
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.