Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
Strange that none of the people, that seem to think all deer will be great bucks if let live long enough, have commented on my deer picture. Their silence is very loud. miles

Miles, that photo of your buck spoke a lot to me, and I applaud your attitude. A few years back a yearling bull elk running this area was wearing a very lopsided set - normal vs. measly. We watched him grow over the next two or three years and he became a FINE bull - very big and well-formed like the others in these parts. However, that rack always was odd - got to be heavy six one one side but scraggly on the other.

Normally I don't hunt this unit because it requires muzzle loader but decided to try to nail him for the meat in the Fall. Maybe some of my impetus was to "cull" him to help the pool - can't claim that but it would have been a good thing as well. But, I did not draw the needed tag for that hunt.

The following Spring while chasing wild turkeys I came across his carcass near a spring just a mile or two from our Campfire site - shot in his prime and left to die - entire elk left for the scavengers and the rack undisturbed. It was sickening in the moment. Who knows whether a rack hunter saw the good side, downed him and then walked away when he saw the other side - or if it was done as a "culling" act. Either way, the waste of that meat was bad news. Enjoy eating that nice buck.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Paul, I enjoy eating all of the deer that I shoot. I do not shoot more than what I think that I will need. I do hunt every day if possible and watch a lot of deer with not intention of shooting them. My wife has asked me a bunch of time why I go when I have no intention of shooting a deer. I reply that I enjoy watching them and always learn something and then too, I might get a shot at a coyote. I will shoot what I deem a cull most days if I have the appropriate tag. We are now allowed 4 deer but only 2 can be a buck. The only reason for me not to shoot a cull is if I have one already dead that needs processing. I take my time now and may take 2 or 3 days to cut and package a deer. Too, I am picky about getting all of the silver skin and stuff off but I leave muscles in large chunks and cut the steaks when cooking. Raining today so I worked on that doe that I shot the other day. Just one ham left to do. May wait until tomorrow for that. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sometimes, cull bucks can be trophies. I took this young man out for his first deer on a ranch where they wanted to take these kind of deer out of the herd. This deer would never become a 4 point and both he and his genes were eliminated that day...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A few years back, I had a goat horned spike on the place that needed killing, but not legal for me. My Nephew was out hunting an asked if he could bring his young cousin (no kin to me) out for a hunt. He promised to be with him and watch out for him so I said OK. I sent them to the area where I had been seeing the spike in hopes that he would get a shot at him, since it would be legal of kids under 16. He killed a small 6 point Eastern count, and was tickled to death. I would not have shot that deer but I am glad the kid got one. He was very nice and thanked me profusely for letting him hunt, and loaning him a youth model .243 that was easy for him to handle. That is the kind of things that I like to look back on and think about. The spike never got killed to my knowledge and finally just disappeared. Last that I saw they were long and curved forward like the main beam on an 8 point but with no points, just the main beam. miles

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by milespatton
A few years back, I had a goat horned spike on the place that needed killing, but not legal for me. My Nephew was out hunting an asked if he could bring his young cousin (no kin to me) out for a hunt. He promised to be with him and watch out for him so I said OK. I sent them to the area where I had been seeing the spike in hopes that he would get a shot at him, since it would be legal of kids under 16. He killed a small 6 point Eastern count, and was tickled to death. I would not have shot that deer but I am glad the kid got one. He was very nice and thanked me profusely for letting him hunt, and loaning him a youth model .243 that was easy for him to handle. That is the kind of things that I like to look back on and think about. The spike never got killed to my knowledge and finally just disappeared. Last that I saw they were long and curved forward like the main beam on an 8 point but with no points, just the main beam. miles

A guy I hunted with killed a 5 1/2 year old spike. It had spikes over 11 inches tall and a pretty heavy base. It was in the end, just a spike though. Had been, all it's life. I have personally seen mature spikes whip much bigger bucks and breed the does...

I congratulated him on his kill. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
3/4 of the bucks killed today are not trophy hunting kills. they are farm animals that get slaughtered by there owners.i grew up just going out in the woods and waiting to see what comes along. i still do this today on the same property.this year i've seen sign that there may be a huge buck on that property. i have not seen him yet. i could put up cameras and find out what he looks like but i'd rather just hunt and wait.i still enjoy trying to kill the biggest buck that is on my property,he may be not be a huge buck every year. if i have to feed,fatten and raise to be something he wouldn't normally be then i won't enjoy the hunt as much.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
3/4 of the bucks killed today are not trophy hunting kills.

Opinion, or do you have stats to back that up? miles

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Miles, Just wondering have you put anything on the ground with your .280 rcbs? rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Miles, Just wondering have you put anything on the ground with your .280 rcbs?

Not yet. Rifle season starts November 8. I did kill a doe with my front stuffer. Got some meat. miles

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Miles, Our season started Oct-1,should have talked you into lending the .280 to me, i could have kept it warmed it up for you till Nov. ---grin.rio7

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i could have kept it warmed it up for you till Nov.

It might would have worked. miles

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Trade him for the Hepburn Miles. wink

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Trade him for the Hepburn Miles.

What? And have to keep one eye on you all the time? grin miles

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Scott, the .280 Miles, Has is a beautiful rifle, but i think i will keep the Hepburn,old guns and old men just seem to go together,and Miles is to young and handsome for a Hepburn. rio7

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Sometimes, cull bucks can be trophies. I took this young man out for his first deer on a ranch where they wanted to take these kind of deer out of the herd. This deer would never become a 4 point and both he and his genes were eliminated that day...

[Linked Image]

It's for sure best to keep those from getting a hold in a herd. Great kill there for sure and in more ways than one, Shrap.

Last edited by eyeball; 10/29/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RIO7
Scott, the .280 Miles, Has is a beautiful rifle, but i think i will keep the Hepburn,old guns and old men just seem to go together,and Miles is to young and handsome for a Hepburn. rio7

If being old and ugly are the only prerequisites for ownership........... I qualify.

And I'll come after it as soon as you say the word.

I got a BSA Scope for it.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel

[Linked Image]

Do a European mount and folks think it's a REALLY nice whietail........... See..

[Linked Image]

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S

laugh laugh laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Miles - the deer hunt is getting near and am thinking about taking a home made .280 - but it does not have the RCBS feature. Do you think it will do the job as well, or should we try to cross it with yours?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by curdog4570

If being old and ugly are the only prerequisites for ownership........... I qualify.

And I'll come after it as soon as you say the word.

I got a BSA Scope for it.

Hands off!! If it goes anywhere it is mine and I can prove it, it's got my DNA all over it. grin

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,412
Posts18,470,461
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.