-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Grew up poor but we didn't know we were. Ate a lot of things a lot of people would turn their nose up at. Not much got wasted. Nothing food wise makes my stomach turn, but some I have tried and will pass on. Lutefisk is one. We had it at Christmas as my grandfather liked it. Still like head cheese, pickled pigs feet, liver sausage, etc. Heck we ate a lot of carp and bullheads when I was a kid. I will admit I would have to be pretty darn hungry to eat balut.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mutton.. sick

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cottage Cheese or boiled Okra. Nasty chit ! Won't touch raw oysters. Best way I know to get hepatitis.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Any melon.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'm one of those who'll try about anything once, and really haven't found anything I can't eat, though might prefer something else. About the only thing i really hate is canned peas. Why ruin peas by canning them?

Still remember a caribou hunt where my partner, for some reason, bought some canned peas at the local store on the way to camp. A couple of the Inuit guides tried 'em, and immediately spit them out. They were eating raw caribou meat, with plenty of the fat attached. (Had my own first taste of whale blubber on that trip, and found it pretty bland. But it hadn't been aged like many Inuits prefer.)

Hated liver until 20 when I first had fresh pronghorn liver. Still prefer fresh game liver to any domestic variety, except maybe chicken liver. Hated tomatoes, beets, asparagus, Brussels sprouts and butter when I was a kid, but like 'em all now. Don't care for the texture of boiled okra, but like it fried or pickled.

Our tastes do change as we get older, partly because recent studies have shown that trying anything 10 times or so apparently modifies our reaction somehow. Of course, those 10 times might be too many to, uh, stomach.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can eat fried okra by the Bushel !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
There's seriously something wrong with a lot of you people.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Liver....

Wouldn't touch balut when I visited the Philippines.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter
only thing i can think of offhand is javilena.

Best tamales I ever ate were made by the ranch foreman's wife on a ranch in Mexico. I had killed a young javalina, and the ranch hand convinced me to take it in for her to make tamales out of. I was glad I did. smile

It was great!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Mutton.. sick

Yep. Cabrito's not much better in my book. Goat milk tastes like a goat smells... Not having seconds on that, for sure.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Lutefisk. The end.

+1...

Ate some (WAY to much) as kind of an initiation with a bunch of friends from Minnesota up on LOW when ice fishing...

Just WOW sick

Haggis, & Tripe, never tasted, and have no need to...

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Every time this thread comes up, I can't help but think that some peoples moms must have been terrible cooks.

The balut, lutefisk, and that rotten turd fruit from Malaysia get a free pass.

Sean
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Boiled okra, rutabagas, any kind of raw fish. Never tried lutefisk.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's nothing that immediately really turns my stomach over, other than Southern Comfort and/or Wild Turkey.

I don't particularly care for salmon, lobster or fish other than walleye, pike, shrimp and perch.

Me

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Like Leighton, there was a rule at our house, you had to try everything, and if you didn't like it you had to eat it any way.

Only 2 things I can think of: lefse and lutefisk. F'ing norwegians can't cook, period. (I married into a family of them.)

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I like most of the foods that have been mentioned on this thread,but I've never heard of lutefisk..Both my Grandmothers canned everything,and I loved my maternal Grandmothers pickled corn.She canned it in jars,but I never would even try my paternal Grandmothers.She pickled it on the cob in these great big crocks,and always had the corn weighted down with a flat rock.My Father,and Uncles loved it,and I realize now that it probably was good,I kinda wish now I would have tried it.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Liver from any mammal or bird, or any dark-meated bird (especially doves) that tastes like liver, makes me gag. The smell of it cooking when I walk into a home makes me want to run away.

I've been in too many camps where someone has tried to get me to taste deer or elk liver that he has cooked. When he says, "You haven't tasted MY liver," I tell him he better hopes I never do.

I don't like the taste of salmon or trout, but I can force it down. Allowing the slimy oil from a cucumber to touch the other ingredients is the fastest way to ruin a salad, in my humble opinion.

Bill Quimby

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Off-hand, I can't think of anything I absolutely will not eat, and will try anything once. I had lutefisk for the first time last year (I'm of Norwegian descent) and liked it. In fact, the annual Sons of Norway Lutefisk Dinner is next month and I plan on attending again.

Offal isn't at all awful - I haven't had sweetbreads or brains but they're on the short list of edibles to try. Bull fries? Had 'em and would eat them again. Tripe? I love a good bowl of menudo or pho. I haven't had balut - it looks nasty, but I'll have to try it before I make the final judgement.

Guns are like guitars - you can never have too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
any peppers ,red green yellow stomach can't stomach them cottage cheese,mayo,horseradish, heavy curry don't eat liver anymore, nothing pickled,cooked cabbage family. probably lots more.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sea cucumber.

Tried it.......not likely to ever again.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 2500HD, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 62 invisible), 2,616 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,393
Posts18,527,822
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.