Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by kend
My current CF problem is getting logged in. I sign in and then it logs me out when I open another page. Sometimes I have to login 6 times to get it to take. What Shrapnel said is spot on. This is a PITA for sure.

This is the problem that I have had here for years with several PCs and several OS, and several browsers.

Last edited by MarkFed; 11/16/14.

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeez, how many time do we have to say it?

The ads on the page download scripts that run in the background (mostly) and consume resources. Lots of them. Which is why people with an adware blocker like Adblock Plus don't have problems. It won't allow those scripts to run unless you give permission.

Most of those malware hits you get after visiting the Campfire are adware scripts in your browser's cache. My experience anyway.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Jeez, how many time do we have to say it?

The ads on the page download scripts that run in the background (mostly) and consume resources. Lots of them. Which is why people with an adware blocker like Adblock Plus don't have problems. It won't allow those scripts to run unless you give permission.

LOL
The same BS answer as always, even when people say they have all that and still get recurring problems like this, that I got just a minute ago:

The web address you entered could not be found[more information]
You were trying to go to http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

And when I tried to change from this page:
http://search.aol.com/aol/afe?s_it=DNSERROR&q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.24hourcampfire.com%2Fubbthreads%2Fubbthreads.php

Last edited by Snyper; 11/16/14.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What browser and are you running adbolck?

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sure would be nice if we heard something from the owner of this site to let us know what he's doing about this.

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The same BS answer as always

I know very little about computers but I too would like to know why some of us have no problems while others do. If it was all Rick's fault, we all should have problems. If there was not something going on at the campfire, those with problems should have them elsewhere. Maybe some unknown settings when checking all those blocks when trying to set up a new computer. Half of them I don't know what they are for, so I take a wild guess. I doubt that I always guess right. I run Firefox with ad blockers and when things seem a little goofy, I go delete my cookies and history on my computer. I have little to no problem ever with this site. A mystery for sure. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by okok
Sure would be nice if we heard something from the owner of this site to let us know what he's doing about this.

It's hunting season. He will take care of it after he fills his tags.(if there is actually a problem) I'm running a samsung android phone with whatever browser came on it and I don't see a problem.

http://pin.it/_WJQ2xO

and FREE EYEBALL!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snyper
if it was on Ricks end everyone would have problems...

And if it were OUR computers, it would happen on all sites instead of just this one

Like I said before, it's an ongoing complaint, but nothing will be done

not necessarily, chances are most only go to a few websites all the time hell ive got less than 2 dozen i visit with any regularity....ive run into problems with single websites i visit cause of my ISP not doing chit on their end, there wasnt a problem with that single site, there was a problem with a whole bunch i just happened to only visit one of the group that was on that particular set of servers that was affected.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
How come my screen goes blank and the page has to reload? Happens every few minutes. Happens only here and not other forums.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have to login manually every time - never had to do that before. There should be an executive order written!

On second thought, its probably the NSA downloading all the ISP locations for
"future use".

Last edited by bigwhoop; 11/16/14.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
How come my screen goes blank and the page has to reload? Happens every few minutes. Happens only here and not other forums.

good question.....i dont know....there are so many damn variables unless im sitting in front of your computer i cant even begin to guess.....my ex-wife was the full blown computer geek not me, she explained to me once why your ISP is often just as guilty, especially if you live outside a major metro area, fartehr out you get in less populated areas the bigger factor they become depending on how often they refresh stuff on their end IIRC....used to regularly have problems with a forum a friend of mine runs....everytime we actually sat and tracked down the problem it was my ISP not doing what they were supposed to be doing.....this with my wife and his tech people tracking down the problems from both ends

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Snyper, you have a different problem (sounds like browser hijack). Something nasty got through your defenses. Start with Malwarebytes, that seems to get all the favorite malware attacks. Some fixes require hand tweaking like resetting the home page and default search engine. Google is your friend, particularly if Malwarebytes gives you a name. (Don't buy anything - you can fix with free tools FROM TRUSTED SOURCES.)

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Snyper, you have a different problem (sounds like browser hijack). Something nasty got through your defenses. Start with Malwarebytes, that seems to get all the favorite malware attacks. Some fixes require hand tweaking like resetting the home page and default search engine. Google is your friend, particularly if Malwarebytes gives you a name. (Don't buy anything - you can fix with free tools FROM TRUSTED SOURCES.)

I've got Adblock, AVG antivirus. Malwarebytes, etc........

And it's STILL only this site that gives me constant problems

I do daily virus scans and nothing shows up

How many people have to say they only have trouble with THIS SITE before it's real?

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know what to tell ya, except for the obvious it's pretty much guessing without access to the machine. This thing runs XP. With Firefox, Zone Alarm anti-virus, Adblock Plus, and NoScript which does what Adblock does plus a little more. I've never had a problem here or anywhere else that wasn't my fault.

(The latest: Downloaded a utility update from a site that looked like the author's but I forgot to check the URL bar. Yup, phishing site and I got adware along with what was probably a legit update. Aborted the install because it wasn't acting right but not before the nasty stuff got in. Malwarebytes couldn't remove it all so I had to dig around a bit.)

Now if I run Internet Explorer 8 without the highest security setting all kinds of fun stuff happens with the Campfire.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, must be them there super cookies that ISP's are using. crazy
Actually I could post my malware bytes and Norton logs from my ventures to the CF from yesterday. But why go through the aggravation from the it's your OS and browser crowd again as it's the only answer they know. I run Win 7 and IE 11 and have tweaked my security settings and Java settings to where nothing much gets through, but sure do get a lot of malicious tool kit attack warnings.
This was posted on an iPhone using safari with no problems either.
Ohh and the super cookies are real. And a bitch to find.

http://www.techopedia.com/definition/27310/super-cookie

Swifty
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Apparently, as useful at blocking ads as it is, AdBlock Plus comes with some drawbacks of it's own.

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...-firefox-and-chrome-are-such-memory-hogs

"Here�s a lovely bit of irony for you: Adblock Plus, which is by far the most popular add-on for Firefox and Chrome, is actually increasing the amount of memory used by your web browser, rather than decreasing it. Furthermore, ABP also increases the amount of time (and CPU cycles) required to render a website. Instead of making web surfing more responsive, ABP actually makes your surfing experience slower.

This might seem counterintuitive at first � after all, ABP blocks all of those annoying animated Flash ads from loading, and so it should save you from unnecessary memory and CPU hits. Unfortunately, the actual situation is a lot more complex than that. Basically, ABP has grown too big for its own good, and just the very process of running ABP in your web browser consumes more memory and CPU cycles than it saves."....

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Actually the log on problem happens for me at every single UBB forum site I go to, so it is something UBB needs to address.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
T
I have a brand new iphone 6 and I can only browse a page or two before I get kicked to the app store to download some [bleep] app. Its really irritating.

I have no issues with this site on any other device.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Snyper

I've got Adblock, AVG antivirus. Malwarebytes, etc........

And it's STILL only this site that gives me constant problems

I do daily virus scans and nothing shows up

How many people have to say they only have trouble with THIS SITE before it's real?

Not arguing that you are having problems, just trying to figure out why some do but some don't. I will go the the Windows side on my computer and see if I have a problem.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've quit even attempting to use this site on my phone. I can't open a page without getting redirected.

And please do tell me all about how it's my fault that only one site in the whole interwebs is a problem.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 60 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,799
Posts18,516,200
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.