Home
I keep getting a message "a problem occurred with this website" and keep getting rebooted. Anyone else getting this?
Be more specific, all websites or this one in particular? If just thine one it's a virus or malware.
Originally Posted by Ngrumba
I keep getting a message "a problem occurred with this website" and keep getting rebooted. Anyone else getting this?

Did you vote for Zero?
Let me guess, iPhone running iOS 8?

Me too, constantly. iOS 8 sucks.
Just this website

iPad air2 with ios8
This website is getting to suck, slow, back button not working, slow to load pages, back button not working, etc.

I am at work, so dont jump on me about loading other browsers or adblockers, not allowed.
I keep getting a Zales commercial banner when I click on forums.

RS
all the freakin time here...
Same here on iOS8 (8.0.2 I think) and running Safari- this website only. I refuse to switch to Chrome on the iPhone 5 because I am used to the UI of Safari now since I like the forward and back command swipes.

I would try downloading Chrome from the Apple/iTunes App Store as it is available for all Apple OS's. See if that resolves it and report back, please! smile
OK guys just gave it a 30 second test for you all, tried about 10 'fire pages and loading times were blazing fast compared to Safari, didn't hit any bugs.

That's all the bug hunting I am doing now as I get paid to do it during the week more or less.

Cheers,
Fish
All sounds Operating System related to me - and want to hear it or not - Linux works. By the way WTF you doing on here when your at work?
Originally Posted by Siskiyous6
All sounds Operating System related to me - and want to hear it or not - Linux works. By the way WTF you doing on here when your at work?

Was at home, man! I swear! Was getting ready to watch a movie last night and saw the post while deciding which Netflix movie to watch.

Interested to know if Chrome on iOS devices fixed the problem for anyone. I only tried for a short time.
No problems of any kind here. While I do get the very occasional "problem loading this page" note when I first click on the bookmark, it seems to be a glitch with my ISP, because a re-click gets me to the 'Fire right away.

No ads, no issues, instant page loads. I'm sorry for those of you who have problems, but if it works perfectly for me, I doubt it's the website's fault.

I'm running Safari and sometimes get a "problem" message, Safari had to close and reopen, and then the page comes up normally. Takes about 3-5 seconds.

Weird little things happen all the time, but not so bad I can't get get things done here.

I don't have to download some program from some source I know nothing about to participate on other sites. This one will actually affect my computer and it's ability to navigate thfough other sites if I even have the Campfire opened on a different tab.

There is something wrong and blaming it on the spyware or whatever it is that you need to add to your computer to navigate through this infernal mess is un called for...

I was typing a response to a thread this morning and the Forefox window closed on me and the laptop closed down and then rebooted.

Very strange.
The site is diseased.
Ngrumba: No problems here?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

No ads, no issues, instant page loads. I'm sorry for those of you who have problems, but if it works perfectly for me, I doubt it's the website's fault.

Sorry Pilgrim, but I just bought a brand new computer, got on this site and within 10 minutes the screen jerks when you scroll, the little spinning arrow will not stop spinning and several other problems that aren't the fault of this computer...
My current CF problem is getting logged in. I sign in and then it logs me out when I open another page. Sometimes I have to login 6 times to get it to take. What Shrapnel said is spot on. This is a PITA for sure.
and several other problems that aren't the fault of this computer...

Not to be an azz, but you know this how? miles
I am using an 11 year old machine with Windows XP and ie8 on dial up no add blocker no other stuff. Seems I should have been shut down a long time ago. Pages load slow but I expect that on dial up.
Originally Posted by Certifiable
all the freakin time here...
all the time here to. both on "the wire" in town and my hom sat dish
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Sorry Pilgrim, but I just bought a brand new computer, got on this site and within 10 minutes the screen jerks when you scroll, the little spinning arrow will not stop spinning and several other problems that aren't the fault of this computer...

Shrap, I know you said you dont want to download anything but the Chrome browser will fix that problem. For me, it was pics that would load slow or fail to load. Get Chrome and then AdBlock and AdBlock Plus from the Cheome App Store and it will solve the problem I bet. My guess is you are running Internet Explorer or Firefox?
That's not to say that I had problems with any other site before switching browsers. This is the only one where I saw these problems
It's been stated for YEARS that this site has more problems than most others,

It's obvious nothing is going to be done about it, no matter how often it's repeated.

I'm not a computer expert, so will some of you expert diagnosticians explain to me why I DON'T have any problems with this (or any other) website?

Edit to add: I'm being serious. If all these problems are caused by the website, then everybody who visits here should have problems. But some don't. How is that?
I don't have any problems either. It must have to do with clean living. wink
Originally Posted by Scott F
I don't have any problems either. It must have to do with clean living. wink

I think you may be on to something there.
HP Pavillion Chromebook with any adblocker works great. Super fast. I run Windows(7&8) and Mac machines(Snow Leopard, Mavericks, Yosemite plus iOS) as well as multiple Android devices(Jelly Bean, Kit Kat) at home and at work as computer tech. Chromebook is most trouble free by far.
Never a problem here. Chrome on the PC's, Boat Browser on the Android phone and tablets.
I am running a Dell Inspiron 15 with both Windows and Ubuntu. Use Firefox on both OS. Switched from Adblock Plus to Adblock Edge. lightening fast with no hitches or problems in Ubuntu. Not near as fast on Windows but still no adds or problems.
I'm not a computer expert, so will some of you expert diagnosticians explain to me why I DON'T have any problems with this (or any other) website?

Edit to add: I'm being serious. If all these problems are caused by the website, then everybody who visits here should have problems. But some don't. How is that?

Well, web developers have to make their sites work with multiple browsers and user interfaces. If they don't, then some will have problems and some won't.
Originally Posted by kend
My current CF problem is getting logged in. I sign in and then it logs me out when I open another page. Sometimes I have to login 6 times to get it to take. What Shrapnel said is spot on. This is a PITA for sure.

What browser are you using? I have this problem with MSIE. To get logged on and have it "take", I log on at the forum list (which results in the appearance of the Search feature). I then click on Search, and it says I'm not logged on and presents a log on page. I log on again and do some Search, and then I am logged on permanently.
Originally Posted by milespatton

This computer is brand new, no time on it to get viruses and interference from outside sources. I also have Google Chrome as the server, I have signed in on different sites along with this one and get no interference on those sites.

I can open the Campfire and instantly navigate through it for about 5 minutes before the arrow starts spinning relentlessly and the screen doesn't respond well to the scroll feature. If I turn it off and leave it alone for a few minutes, then turn it back on, it is back to the responsiveness it has when first turned on, but within minutes, it is slowed again.

Don't tell me this isn't happening, come to my house and I will show you. I don't have to add a bunch of outside protection to run other sites, why should I have to get it for this one?

This computer is brand new, no time on it to get viruses and interference from outside sources. I also have Google Chrome as the server, I have signed in on different sites along with this one and get no interference on those sites.

I can open the Campfire and instantly navigate through it for about 5 minutes before the arrow starts spinning relentlessly and the screen doesn't respond well to the scroll feature. If I turn it off and leave it alone for a few minutes, then turn it back on, it is back to the responsiveness it has when first turned on, but within minutes, it is slowed again.

Don't tell me this isn't happening, come to my house and I will show you. I don't have to add a bunch of outside protection to run other sites, why should I have to get it for this one?

and if the problem was the site than EVERYONE would have problems, the fact alot of us dont means it is:

1: the browser you are running
2: infections on your computer
3: your internet provider

if it was on Ricks end everyone would have problems....

Wish I knew the answer to your question. I too and on a computer that arrived new on the 12th. Spent the day setting up the two OS systems and neither Windows 7 nor Ubuntu 14.04 have any problems with the Campfire. I did install an adblock on both but I have never looked at adblock as a bunch of outside protection. In fact Ubuntu has no anti malware or virus protection at all. Windows came up with Malware hits within the first ten minutes.
if it was on Ricks end everyone would have problems...

And if it were OUR computers, it would happen on all sites instead of just this one

Like I said before, it's an ongoing complaint, but nothing will be done
Originally Posted by Snyper

And if it were OUR computers, it would happen on all sites instead of just this one

There has to be a logical reason why some have so many problems and others don't have any. I wish I knew what it was. I have been coming here for almost fourteen years and on a bunch of computers since I mostly use hand me downs but I do not remember ever having a problem. When the ads started showing up to the point I took twenty seconds and added adblocker. Everything from an old 286 to the newest.
No problems of any kind here. While I do get the very occasional "problem loading this page" note when I first click on the bookmark, it seems to be a glitch with my ISP, because a re-click gets me to the 'Fire right away.

I get that too. And sometimes repeated timeouts. I'll go check the weather or something, come back in a few minutes, and all's fine. So I think it's on the Campfire server end. I can ping the server but the page won't load. Been that way for a long time now.
Originally Posted by kend

This is the problem that I have had here for years with several PCs and several OS, and several browsers.
Jeez, how many time do we have to say it?

The ads on the page download scripts that run in the background (mostly) and consume resources. Lots of them. Which is why people with an adware blocker like Adblock Plus don't have problems. It won't allow those scripts to run unless you give permission.

Most of those malware hits you get after visiting the Campfire are adware scripts in your browser's cache. My experience anyway.
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Jeez, how many time do we have to say it?

The ads on the page download scripts that run in the background (mostly) and consume resources. Lots of them. Which is why people with an adware blocker like Adblock Plus don't have problems. It won't allow those scripts to run unless you give permission.

LOL
The same BS answer as always, even when people say they have all that and still get recurring problems like this, that I got just a minute ago:

The web address you entered could not be found[more information]
You were trying to go to http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

And when I tried to change from this page:
http://search.aol.com/aol/afe?s_it=DNSERROR&q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.24hourcampfire.com%2Fubbthreads%2Fubbthreads.php
What browser and are you running adbolck?
Sure would be nice if we heard something from the owner of this site to let us know what he's doing about this.
The same BS answer as always

I know very little about computers but I too would like to know why some of us have no problems while others do. If it was all Rick's fault, we all should have problems. If there was not something going on at the campfire, those with problems should have them elsewhere. Maybe some unknown settings when checking all those blocks when trying to set up a new computer. Half of them I don't know what they are for, so I take a wild guess. I doubt that I always guess right. I run Firefox with ad blockers and when things seem a little goofy, I go delete my cookies and history on my computer. I have little to no problem ever with this site. A mystery for sure. miles
Originally Posted by okok
Sure would be nice if we heard something from the owner of this site to let us know what he's doing about this.

It's hunting season. He will take care of it after he fills his tags.(if there is actually a problem) I'm running a samsung android phone with whatever browser came on it and I don't see a problem.

not necessarily, chances are most only go to a few websites all the time hell ive got less than 2 dozen i visit with any regularity....ive run into problems with single websites i visit cause of my ISP not doing chit on their end, there wasnt a problem with that single site, there was a problem with a whole bunch i just happened to only visit one of the group that was on that particular set of servers that was affected.....
How come my screen goes blank and the page has to reload? Happens every few minutes. Happens only here and not other forums.
I have to login manually every time - never had to do that before. There should be an executive order written!

On second thought, its probably the NSA downloading all the ISP locations for
"future use".
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
How come my screen goes blank and the page has to reload? Happens every few minutes. Happens only here and not other forums.

good question.....i dont know....there are so many damn variables unless im sitting in front of your computer i cant even begin to guess.....my ex-wife was the full blown computer geek not me, she explained to me once why your ISP is often just as guilty, especially if you live outside a major metro area, fartehr out you get in less populated areas the bigger factor they become depending on how often they refresh stuff on their end IIRC....used to regularly have problems with a forum a friend of mine runs....everytime we actually sat and tracked down the problem it was my ISP not doing what they were supposed to be doing.....this with my wife and his tech people tracking down the problems from both ends
Snyper, you have a different problem (sounds like browser hijack). Something nasty got through your defenses. Start with Malwarebytes, that seems to get all the favorite malware attacks. Some fixes require hand tweaking like resetting the home page and default search engine. Google is your friend, particularly if Malwarebytes gives you a name. (Don't buy anything - you can fix with free tools FROM TRUSTED SOURCES.)
Snyper, you have a different problem (sounds like browser hijack). Something nasty got through your defenses. Start with Malwarebytes, that seems to get all the favorite malware attacks. Some fixes require hand tweaking like resetting the home page and default search engine. Google is your friend, particularly if Malwarebytes gives you a name. (Don't buy anything - you can fix with free tools FROM TRUSTED SOURCES.)

I've got Adblock, AVG antivirus. Malwarebytes, etc........

And it's STILL only this site that gives me constant problems

I do daily virus scans and nothing shows up

How many people have to say they only have trouble with THIS SITE before it's real?

Don't know what to tell ya, except for the obvious it's pretty much guessing without access to the machine. This thing runs XP. With Firefox, Zone Alarm anti-virus, Adblock Plus, and NoScript which does what Adblock does plus a little more. I've never had a problem here or anywhere else that wasn't my fault.

(The latest: Downloaded a utility update from a site that looked like the author's but I forgot to check the URL bar. Yup, phishing site and I got adware along with what was probably a legit update. Aborted the install because it wasn't acting right but not before the nasty stuff got in. Malwarebytes couldn't remove it all so I had to dig around a bit.)

Now if I run Internet Explorer 8 without the highest security setting all kinds of fun stuff happens with the Campfire.
Wow, must be them there super cookies that ISP's are using. crazy
Actually I could post my malware bytes and Norton logs from my ventures to the CF from yesterday. But why go through the aggravation from the it's your OS and browser crowd again as it's the only answer they know. I run Win 7 and IE 11 and have tweaked my security settings and Java settings to where nothing much gets through, but sure do get a lot of malicious tool kit attack warnings.
This was posted on an iPhone using safari with no problems either.
Ohh and the super cookies are real. And a bitch to find.

http://www.techopedia.com/definition/27310/super-cookie
Apparently, as useful at blocking ads as it is, AdBlock Plus comes with some drawbacks of it's own.

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...-firefox-and-chrome-are-such-memory-hogs

"Here�s a lovely bit of irony for you: Adblock Plus, which is by far the most popular add-on for Firefox and Chrome, is actually increasing the amount of memory used by your web browser, rather than decreasing it. Furthermore, ABP also increases the amount of time (and CPU cycles) required to render a website. Instead of making web surfing more responsive, ABP actually makes your surfing experience slower.

This might seem counterintuitive at first � after all, ABP blocks all of those annoying animated Flash ads from loading, and so it should save you from unnecessary memory and CPU hits. Unfortunately, the actual situation is a lot more complex than that. Basically, ABP has grown too big for its own good, and just the very process of running ABP in your web browser consumes more memory and CPU cycles than it saves."....
Actually the log on problem happens for me at every single UBB forum site I go to, so it is something UBB needs to address.
I have a brand new iphone 6 and I can only browse a page or two before I get kicked to the app store to download some [bleep] app. Its really irritating.

I have no issues with this site on any other device.

I've got Adblock, AVG antivirus. Malwarebytes, etc........

And it's STILL only this site that gives me constant problems

I do daily virus scans and nothing shows up

How many people have to say they only have trouble with THIS SITE before it's real?

Not arguing that you are having problems, just trying to figure out why some do but some don't. I will go the the Windows side on my computer and see if I have a problem.
I've quit even attempting to use this site on my phone. I can't open a page without getting redirected.

And please do tell me all about how it's my fault that only one site in the whole interwebs is a problem.
I have had the same problem since I upgraded to IOS8 for Apple products.
OK, I shutdown Ubuntu and started Windows 7 with Firefox and adblocker plus. I was automatically logged in. opened and read several posts, went to other Campfire forums and read posts. Logged out and back in, no problems at all. I also read the Fire from my Samsung Galaxy 3 phone and my Verizon tablet. Never had a problem reading just had to put up with the ads.

I am writing this while on Windows but since I really do not like Windows I will be restarting this computer in Ubuntu as soon as I post this.

I still cannot duplicate the problems some folks are reporting.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I've quit even attempting to use this site on my phone. I can't open a page without getting redirected.

And please do tell me all about how it's my fault that only one site in the whole interwebs is a problem.

yes cause im sure you hit every website out there...quite likely its your ISP causing the problems and if thats the case your pretty well SOL cause getting them off their arse and change settings on their end is a hell of alot more difficult than switching browsers.....had problems with a buddy's forum like i said for the better part of 6 months before my local provider started doing what they were supposed to...
I still cannot duplicate the problems some folks are reporting.

And what difference does that make at all?

Does that somehow mean the problems don't exist?

Do all the threads about the problems not exist, simply because none happened to you?

Originally Posted by rattler

yes cause im sure you hit every website out there...quite likely its your ISP causing the problems and if thats the case your pretty well SOL cause getting them off their arse and change settings on their end is a hell of alot more difficult than switching browsers.....had problems with a buddy's forum like i said for the better part of 6 months before my local provider started doing what they were supposed to...

This is the same problem I have. For the several sites I browse, only this one gives me issues with redirects to the app store.

I have a Iphone 6 with Ios 8, both Safari and Chrome have this issue.
.quite likely its your ISP causing the problems

Yeah, all those different ISP's got together and focused all their problems on just this one site
.quite likely its your ISP causing the problems

Yeah, all those different ISP's got together and focused all their problems on just this one site

except its not focused on this one phugging site....out of the over a billion websites that are out there im guessing like everyone else you only go to a very few.....i would bet there are a ton of other websites that are going to phug up for you but because your not interested in them you have no clue that they dont work on your computer either.....

except its not focused on this one phugging site....out of the over a billion websites that are out there im guessing like everyone else you only go to a very few.....i would bet there are a ton of other websites that are going to phug up for you but because your not interested in them you have no clue that they dont work on your computer either.....

This is the logic that defies common sense. No one on here was complaining about the problems they got somewhere else, it is about here. Some do, some don't, but how the don'ts make light of the do's doesn't diminish the fact this problem does exist...

This is the logic that defies common sense. No one on here was complaining about the problems they got somewhere else, it is about here. Some do, some don't, but how the don'ts make light of the do's doesn't diminish the fact this problem does exist...

and i havent said it doesnt exist, ive even said it can quite well be because of something completely out of your hands because ive run into it before....what i am getting is alot of people here think the internet is a hell of alot simpler than it actually is to get the chit to show up on your computer....

but claiming this is the only site your computer is having problems is, is quite frankly likely a load of bull.....ever stop to think that Rick is centered in California and a lot of the other websites that would also be phugging up on your end if it is an ISP issue for some of you are going to be websites you have ZERO interest in there fore would have no clue if they work on your computer or not....

Never doubted it exists. Some pretty find folks have been fighting it a long time. I don't understand why I cannot get it to happen even though I have tried. I even tried two operating systems with no problems.

It seems like most of us are not experiencing the problem but some are being hammered. There has to be a reason.
Originally Posted by joken2
Apparently, as useful at blocking ads as it is, AdBlock Plus comes with some drawbacks of it's own.

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...-firefox-and-chrome-are-such-memory-hogs

"Here�s a lovely bit of irony for you: Adblock Plus, which is by far the most popular add-on for Firefox and Chrome, is actually increasing the amount of memory used by your web browser, rather than decreasing it. Furthermore, ABP also increases the amount of time (and CPU cycles) required to render a website. Instead of making web surfing more responsive, ABP actually makes your surfing experience slower.

This might seem counterintuitive at first � after all, ABP blocks all of those annoying animated Flash ads from loading, and so it should save you from unnecessary memory and CPU hits. Unfortunately, the actual situation is a lot more complex than that. Basically, ABP has grown too big for its own good, and just the very process of running ABP in your web browser consumes more memory and CPU cycles than it saves."....

I switched to Adblock Edge and it seems to work better than Adblock Plus. No clue if it has the same problem but it sure works on my system.
I also use Ghostery in Firefox to block trackers. It is blocking five as I type this. Some news sights have twelve or more trackers blocked.
Never doubted it exists. Some pretty find folks have been fighting it a long time. I don't understand why I cannot get it to happen even though I have tried. I even tried two operating systems with no problems.

It seems like most of us are not experiencing the problem but some are being hammered. There has to be a reason.

what people dont realize is none of this chit is the same....different websites use different programing languages, different browsers use different programing languages not to mention Mac, Windows and the more uncommon platforms are also written in different languages .....and all this chit can be written by someone having a bad day....the fact it all works reasonably ok is a phugging miracle cause everyone is doing their own thing....

and all of it can be thrown out of whack if the idiots at your local hub refuse to update chit and refresh it often enough on their end which royally phugs things up even if both you and Rick have things set up properly...

for phug sake, there have been 3 major operating systems and a half dozen browsers mentioned just in this short thread not to mention which version of each individuals are running.....chit is not always going to go smoothly.....but unless your going to atleast try and swap chit around to rule out everything on your end quit b!tching about it....

great someone bought a new computer and its not working, half the chit loaded on machines running Windows is chit, IE hasnt been a good internet browser for over a decade, McAfee(which always comes with the Dell's i buy) has been bloated and near worthless for even longer than IE has been out of whack....and just cause you buy a Mac doesnt mean your our of the woods cause you still have to deal with surfing through over a dozen other languages in common use on the internet that they have no control over......

That's the whole point about how screwed up this site is. Nobody has an answer that this is the ONLY site that is giving us a lot of problems.No need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that this site is the problem. .02
Haven't updated to iOS8 yet on my phone but no issues of late. For a while some game popup from the app store would open.

If I use IE on my home computer or work computer, after a few clicks within the campfire I'm hungup until I shutdown the program and start over.

If I use Chrome at home or at work, with AdBlock running, I have clear sailing.

The CF is the only site that IE actually freezes up. Other sites are slow to load due to all the add content, but they do work. With AdBlock and Chrome all sites seem to zip along well.

No complaints, it is what it is.
If every site on earth works but this one, I can pretty quickly narrow down what the problem is. It ain't rocket surgery.
Well then I will miss you. I consider you one of the good guys here.
It's all in your head! laugh

Back button hasn't worked in over a year. crazy
Can't help but wonder how many potential new members have come to check out the 24 Hour Campfire forum but just got frustrated with the hassle and moved on simply because they weren't aware of all the special modifications needed in order to best enjoy it here.

Maybe that information ought to be made a permanent "Sticky".
That's a great idea!
Seems like this forum used to set a new "Max on Line" record at least once a year. It's been over four years now since the last "Max on line" record for the number of members logged on to the 24 Hour Campfire at the same time was set.
At that time (10-5-10) there were about 31,700 (+/-) registered members.
You'd think with gaining another almost 20,000 additional members over the past four years there would've been at least one more recent "Max on Line" record set, especially when you take into account all the new high tech wireless gizmos in use nowadays that allow for internet access from almost anywhere at anytime.
Originally Posted by TexasTBag

This is the same problem I have. For the several sites I browse, only this onue gives me issues with redirects to the app store.

I have a Iphone 6 with Ios 8, both Safari and Chrome have this issue.

Ad block for iOS 3.99 on the apple store. It works, no more redirects.

great someone bought a new computer and its not working, half the chit loaded on machines running Windows is chit, IE hasnt been a good internet browser for over a decade, McAfee(which always comes with the Dell's i buy) has been bloated and near worthless for even longer than IE has been out of whack....and just cause you buy a Mac doesnt mean your our of the woods cause you still have to deal with surfing through over a dozen other languages in common use on the internet that they have no control over......

What are you, stuck in your mother's basement with a toy box full of Power Rangers and a half a can of Vienna Sausages? In the real world, when you buy a new computer with no viruses or problems and you turn on the Campfire and within 10 minutes it is slowing down and the arrow keeps spinning, there is something wrong with the site. I can open a tab on another site and it is slowed down as well. Close the campfire and problem solved.

This site has problems and I don't care how many others do, this one needs fixed...
I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
Just downloaded Mercury with Ad Block for free from the app store. Iphone is running fine now.
In the real world, when you buy a new computer with no viruses or problems and you turn on the Campfire and within 10 minutes it is slowing down and the arrow keeps spinning, there is something wrong with the site.

Or maybe some settings on the computer. I know little about computers, but seem to get along fine here. miles

What are you, stuck in your mother's basement with a toy box full of Power Rangers and a half a can of Vienna Sausages? In the real world, when you buy a new computer with no viruses or problems and you turn on the Campfire and within 10 minutes it is slowing down and the arrow keeps spinning, there is something wrong with the site. I can open a tab on another site and it is slowed down as well. Close the campfire and problem solved.

This site has problems and I don't care how many others do, this one needs fixed...

I took this computer out of the box on Wednesday with Windows 7 installed. I installed Ubuntu in a duel boot configuration. I can start in windows or in Ubuntu. I have tried everything I cn to get the Campfire to mess up but cannot get it do do anything to run smoothly.

I use Firefox two two addons, Adblock Edge and Ghostery. I cannot fins a problem. I would think if it was the Campfire then we all would have the problem. I would like to know why some do and some do not.

Welcome to the fire!!!!! laugh
This is the slowest site I log onto and get kicked out of. There is something wrong of late and hope Rick is looking into it.
Maybe the NSA is downloading all the ISP locations pre-Fergtown debacle.
Originally Posted by okok

That's the whole point about how screwed up this site is. Nobody has an answer that this is the ONLY site that is giving us a lot of problems.No need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that this site is the problem. .02

On the work computer I am on now, this is the only site I have any problems with.
On the work computer I am on now, this is the only site I have any problems with.

I can't speak to your work computer, but before I retired, my work computer had been changed up until nothing worked correctly. They were so afraid that a person would play a game on it that they deleted a lot of stuff, some of which the computer really needed. I was on the road and had a laptop and if I did not hook up to the main office computer to get updates monthly, it would crash. That meant a special trip to the office just to keep my computer running, every month. miles
If I had the problems with this site others report I would have been long gone. It is a testament to the value of the content here that they continue to log on here.
I only have problems, with this site on this computer.

At home, I am running mozilla or whatever it is called. NO problems there.

This site, and only this site, constantly gives problems on this computer. I was just on traditional muzzleloader, GB, Ebay, a car forum and this is the only one here that causes problems. I only tolerate it because I like this site and I am on duty for 12 hours waiting on a radio call, so I need something to occupy my time. It does wear on my patience tho.
Have had continual problems with this site to the point I only log on using my IPad. I won't infect my own or my work computer. Only recently bought AdBlock which seems to help, but until that time, it was slow, would log me off, and was a total PIA.

As someone said, if not for the content and great members, I would have moved on a long time ago.
Adblock is free. Where did you buy it?
If I had the problems with this site others report I would have been long gone. It is a testament to the value of the content here that they continue to log on here.

LOL

It's more like a train wreck where you just have to keep looking.

As to "content" that's gone downhill over the last few years too, although it's bearable if you put enough folks on ignore
Scott,

I got it off the Apple a App Store. Trial version was free, but it quickly ran out and I had to buy the "Pro" version. Bastards!
There's a script running here I assume on an ad. If you leave the browser open even after you load the page it will continue to run and you are downloading something from this site. I can see the data on my monitor when open only on this site. You continue to download data forever till you load a new page or close the broswer.

That's why it's slow for a lot of people. I assume if you adblock it then solves the problem.

I run a continuous ping monitor which pings a known site to give my ping. Normally I run in the low 60s for ping which is a measure of the latency from your computer to the site it's pinging. If I leave the campfire open after it loads a page my ping goes to 700ms to 999ms because of whatever is downloading in the background. Maybe it's just resending the same ad over and over. I dunno.

However people shouldn't have to use adblock to use the site. Also since Rick makes his money here via ads it seems counterproductive.

If you let the script run long enough like having the page opened forever you will eventually get an unresponsive script error depending on your browser.
I don't have to have a bunch of computer voodoo programs running and installed to get ANY other website to work properly.

Obviously there is a problem HERE.

And no, I'm not gonna fiddle fuuck around and add/use the latest and greatest program every other week just to get access this place.
Over here this site hiccups frequently. To the point I'm surprised when it doesn't. Others rarely.

This site is all kinds of fugged up.

I don't care how many nerds say it isn't.

Travis
It is all about "adware" that is running in the background. Adblock Plus prevents most of that, but not all of it.

MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) will find a lot of it for you if you run it.

This site mostly suffers from the "Spigot.A" adware program. It is not really a virus as much as a way to spam continuous ads and info back and forth from your own computer to the advertising agency.

You can do a search on getting rid of Spigot.A and it will lead you through a few free steps to eliminate it (that is, until it somehow breaches the wall again and you have to start eliminating it all over).

One can only assume that Rick Bin feels that allowing such adware programs generates him more revenue on a free site even as it chases away current and potential viewers.
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Scott,

I got it off the Apple a App Store. Trial version was free, but it quickly ran out and I had to buy the "Pro" version. Bastards!

OUCH! That sucks. Is it helping?
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
It is all about "adware" that is running in the background. Adblock Plus prevents most of that, but not all of it.

MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) will find a lot of it for you if you run it.

This site mostly suffers from the "Spigot.A" adware program. It is not really a virus as much as a way to spam continuous ads and info back and forth from your own computer to the advertising agency.

You can do a search on getting rid of Spigot.A and it will lead you through a few free steps to eliminate it (that is, until it somehow breaches the wall again and you have to start eliminating it all over).

One can only assume that Rick Bin feels that allowing such adware programs generates him more revenue on a free site even as it chases away current and potential viewers.

For that reason I'm out to Rick either fixes it or acknowledges it. I frequent other sites and when this type of feedpack is posted they look into it. No sure what the problem is here. A user of this site shouldn't have to run adware and whatever else, this isn't a site equivelant to porn junk sites but the user is getting the same treatment.

As I posted I'm out till things change.
This is my last post.

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave
This is my last post.

Travis

I've got a few more left.

They are cedar.

[Linked Image]
Yesterday I was getting booted off every couple of minutes and redirected to a 'site that no longer exists'. Hasn't done it today.

Diseased. grin
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I have to login manually every time - never had to do that before.

Me too!
For me this site has become virtually unusable on my Iphone. I'm the worst type of computer ignoramus so I wont pretend to know why or understand all the lingo.
My question is for those that have recommended the App store free Adblocker, which one specifically do you recommend? There seems to be several versions and I don't know the difference between them. I have the 4s with the recent update which seemed to screw everything up.

Thanks...
Yeah it has been awful last few days. No sooner than get your password typed in and I was getting redirected to some bullcrap "bikegrass.com" saying i was the lucky winner. All fu(kking day long if I tried to log in...boom ...redirected.

I aint sittin on my dead duff at some commodore 64 at the kitchen table watching cardinals eat at my bird feeder chatting about tin foil and ferguson neegras, I only access this site with a mobile device. And It ain't my device- as many times before it's this site and all the trash banner ads on here. Hire a pro to run this mofo, dayum. Spend a couple hunnert and hire a part time egghead 8 yr old.

JFC

Hi Guys.

I am not ignoring this. 1700 miles driven in the last three days. I have been changing settings and checking results. Just no time to post.

Just made another change. Please let me know if it helps. At this time of year, it's almost certain to be a sneaky advertiser. They'll find him.

Working on it.
Thanks Rick, for the site. Hope you can get it figured out. It's all Spigot.A for me that's the problem.
I just logged on. This site is still slow as fugg and real schitty.

The only thing that makes it worth all this effort is re-reading the posts I made the night before.

Last post.

Travis
Back home with Mozilla, seems to run fine. Back button actually works. Place has problems for sure. Shouldnt need a different browser for one web site.
My back button is still not working correctly.
Mine takes 5 hits to go back to a page.

When I right click on my back button the drop down window shows a hit at *http://us-ads.openex/w/1.0/afr?auid=* for each failed click.

This happens only here and nowhere else.

I run AVG antivirus as well as AdBlock Plus, and do regular scans with Malware Bytes and SuperAntiSpyware.

edit: Asterisks added to the web address so it would not appear as a link.
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Back home with Mozilla, seems to run fine. Back button actually works. Place has problems for sure. Shouldnt need a different browser for one web site.

I see your point and agree. The part I cannot understand is why anyone would use IE. I know it is a work machine and you have no control over what they use but at home it is a different ball game.

But then I feel the same way about Windows. smile
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver

I see your point and agree. The part I cannot understand is why anyone would use IE. I know it is a work machine and you have no control over what they use but at home it is a different ball game.

But then I feel the same way about Windows. smile

http://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=0&qpcustomd=0&qptimeframe=Y

http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/squids/SquidReportOperatingSystems.htm
Yes

For my exp, the problems have went away over night.

Thanks

All the redirects have stopped via ios mobile device access. (For now)
Interesting but it does not change my point. Those who buy a computer and just use what comes with it out of the box seem to be a vast majority of computer owners. It does not mean it is the best idea, just what the most do.

A lot of folks will go to Walmart and buy a rifle off the shelf then take whatever ammunition the expert clerk recommends. The then will go deer hunting without even shooting it it see if it is sighted in. Most of us here would rework a factory gun, reload for the best groups and performance we can get and go hunting only after we are sure we can not only hit but kill what we hunt.

Same thing with a computer. I run a laptop with both Windows and Ubuntu. I kept the Windows just in case I come across something I have to have it for but as yet other than set it up with Firefox with addons and my printer drivers have not used it. I have been here almost 14 years and have yet to have a problem with the Campfire. It loads as fast or faster than other sights and my back key has always worked.

But I reload too. wink grin

I run AVG antivirus as well as AdBlock Plus, and do regular scans with Malware Bytes and SuperAntiSpyware.

None of this needed with Linux.
It's much better on my iPhone. Some reloaded pages but no redirects.
Glad it is getting better.
Interesting but it does not change my point. Those who buy a computer and just use what comes with it out of the box seem to be a vast majority of computer owners. It does not mean it is the best idea, just what the most do.

A lot of folks will go to Walmart and buy a rifle off the shelf then take whatever ammunition the expert clerk recommends. The then will go deer hunting without even shooting it it see if it is sighted in. Most of us here would rework a factory gun, reload for the best groups and performance we can get and go hunting only after we are sure we can not only hit but kill what we hunt.

Same thing with a computer. I run a laptop with both Windows and Ubuntu. I kept the Windows just in case I come across something I have to have it for but as yet other than set it up with Firefox with addons and my printer drivers have not used it. I have been here almost 14 years and have yet to have a problem with the Campfire. It loads as fast or faster than other sights and my back key has always worked.

Scott, I fully understand and appreciate your point.

My point is that any internet forum or website that derives income through advertising based on the most views by the widest audience, like it or not, statistically is going to be dealing with Windows and IE by a vast majority of current and future viewers.
This site is useless without chrome and ABP..cant believe guys come here without it..all free BTW
I have had problems with this site since day one. I can run multiple tabs on many other websites with absolutely NO problems. The minute I come to this website, my computer goes to its knees.
Please don't try to tell me it's my computer. It's not. The only thing I've found that makes my experience acceptable at all is to completely turn off scripting after I've gotten logged in, and only turn it back on to make a post. I then turn scripting off again. This is the ONLY way I can navigate here.

Scott, I fully understand and appreciate your point.

My point is that any internet forum or website that derives income through advertising based on the most views by the widest audience, like it or not, statistically is going to be dealing with Windows and IE by a vast majority of current and future viewers.

Agreed. I am sorry so many are having problems even though the problems are pretty easily solved.
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Scott,

OUCH! That sucks. Is it helping?

Scott, it is helping, but as the choir sings, we shouldn't have to resort to these levels .
Noted.
© 24hourcampfire