Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by gahuntertom

.....I'd use a later model with the safety because they are much safer getting out of the stand with a chambered round.

Uh oh.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I don't see the point of a 30-30 if you are going to scope it. If I want to shoot something with a scope, I'll choose a different caliber and platform.

So, with that said, go with a Winchester. The great thing about a Winchester is that they fill almost any price range. The post 64s are ugly and all of them have spotted receivers where the bluing went away, but they work, stamped lifters and all. You can get one for 250$ and throw it under the seat of your truck forever and not feel bad. Or you can buy a pre 64 for more and have a nice rifle.

If you really have to scope one, you can find lots of angle ejects for 300$ to 400$ in pawn shops.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Marlin 336 can be very accurate as long as the magazine tube is not tied to the barrel too tightly. It's not hard at all to get one to print 5 shots in 1 1/2" or sometimes under. The best ones I've owned would put 10 shots in that group, and produce some three or four shot groups that would embarrass a lot of bolt actions. The most accurate 336's are the models without the forward barrel band, those with just a forend cap. But even barrel band models can be fixed, it just takes a little sandpaper.

Savage 99's are nice rifles. I've only owned a couple but they look a bit odd with a scope - it sticks out way high over the buttstock. That's just my opinion, someone else might not care.

As much as I prefer the 336 over a 94, nothing handles as well as an original configuration Model 94. They can be easily "accurized" the same way as a Marlin and will shoot surprisingly well.

But either way, IMHO a .30-30 just screams lever action. In one of the reloading manual's intros to the .30-30 it said that the cartridge has survived not so much for its ballistics but for the plethora of lightweight, fast handling lever action carbines it comes in. I'd agree with that sentiment.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Skip the scope or shoot something else.

Marlin 1893-

[Linked Image]

Staggs Bilt lever action over under 30-30-20 "single shot"-

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Button mag 16" Winchester 94-

[Linked Image]

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
A .303 Savage in a 99 would be cool. I know where there is one, but it will never be for sale. It belonged to a friend of mine who died of early onset Alzheimers. His sons will never part with it.

You just hadda' bring up the .303 didn't ya? cry I've got dies and a stockpile of .303 brass just waiting for the day when I stumble across a good hunter grade .303 Savage.

For some reason that caliber has always grabbed my attention but I'll probably have to wait until after Christmas since I've already bought 2 model 99's this month.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Hmmm...

Stuck between a Marlin 336 with a scope or a 99 - I need to get info on putting a scope on a 99 though. Always wanted to try a 99, that would be killing two birds with one stone

With a low mounted scope on exposed hammer Marlin and Winchester lever actions you'll likely be needing a hammer extension (if it doesn't already have one).

http://www.opticsplanet.com/uncle-mike-s-hammer-extensions-for-a-better-grip.html

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by gahuntertom

.....I'd use a later model with the safety because they are much safer getting out of the stand with a chambered round.

Uh oh.

Yep, its been a while.

I'll get the beer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I don't see the point of a 30-30 if you are going to scope it. If I want to shoot something with a scope, I'll choose a different caliber and platform.

So, with that said, go with a Winchester. The great thing about a Winchester is that they fill almost any price range. The post 64s are ugly and all of them have spotted receivers where the bluing went away, but they work, stamped lifters and all. You can get one for 250$ and throw it under the seat of your truck forever and not feel bad. Or you can buy a pre 64 for more and have a nice rifle.

If you really have to scope one, you can find lots of angle ejects for 300$ to 400$ in pawn shops.

I used to say that too when I was young and my eyes worked fine as issued. frown

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=Fireball2]Skip the scope or shoot something else.

I don't want to shoot something else.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I used to say that too when I was young and my eyes worked fine as issued. frown

I would just about 100 percent guarantee that your eyes are not worse than mine. But with glasses or contacts I can shoot a peep fine. I even have an astigmatism.

IC B3

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
for the love of all things Holy, shoot what you want.

This shouldn't even be an issue.

can't you see that we had a near collision with hot chamber versus cold chamber?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SmokeEater2

Then go small, like this Leupold 2.5X-

[Linked Image]

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I would just about 100 percent guarantee that your eyes are not worse than mine. But with glasses or contacts I can shoot a peep fine. I even have an astigmatism.

Have glasses and a peep on a .250-3000. I can use it when the light is good.

That would be fine if 99% of the deer I've killed hadn't shown up at first light or very late in the evening.

If a peep works for you in low light that's great but they don't work for me anymore.

Last edited by SmokeEater2; 11/18/14.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I think the Win 94,AE is nicer handling gun if you need to put a scope on it ,which I certainly understand with my old eyes.

Most of these young guys I on here don't understand that. Peeps work for awhile,but then you will have problems in low light as your eyes get older. BTDT ( Remember the miss I had with the Peeps on my ML out at Bonnie?)

I never warmed up to the 336, but the older Marlin 94's are about identical to the Win 94's except for the side ejection.
Of course it would be almost sacrilegious to D&T an old Marlin or Win. for a scope, so stick to the newer ones. I also never liked the fat forearms on the newer Marlins.

Be aware that you will need to put a shorter scope on those small levers as the scope base holes are pretty close together and I had a hard time stabilizing a full size scope on them. Lot of compacts on the market though

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/18/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Then go small, like this Leupold 2.5X-

[Linked Image]

I hear ya. My levers have compact scopes in 1-4X or 2-7X except for the .218 Bee and one .300 that have 3-9X.

2-5X sounds perfect.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Have glasses and a peep on a .250-300. I can use it when the light is good.

That would be fine if 99% of the deer I've killed hadn't shown up at first light or very late in the evening.

If a peep works for you in low light that's great but they don't work for me anymore.

Of course it doesn't work as well in low light as a scope. Who said it did? A scope is a superior sighting system in all ways as a 30-06 is superior to a 30-30 in all ways.

Anyone using a 30-30 is already compromising to a degree. If a deer shows up before daylight or after sundown, you will have trouble with peeps unless he is close. But, hey, if one shows himself at 35 yards when I'm shooting my longbow, he is going to get to walk as well.

If simply killing deer is the point, I would never compromise with anything less than my Forbes in 7mm-08. It is lighter than the 30-30 and almost as handy, shoots a better round, and is well scoped.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would never compromise with anything less than my Forbes in 7mm-08. It is lighter than the 30-30 and almost as handy, shoots a better round, and is well scoped.

Finally, a sensible post! grin grin

LOL
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
And sometimes you are just willing to compromise. If they win, they win.

This was 15 minutes before sunrise, though I didn't use the aperture. I just put it on the rifle to see if the screws would fit. Used the open sights it came with. Rifle is a 30/30.

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't forget the lowly Savage 340....

Like the 99, you can use pointy bullets an it will probably be cheaper if you can find one...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spotshooter,

Peep sights work good for older eyes, especially with a fiber optic front sight. (HINT!) And they don't wreck the looks and handling of a classic lever rifle.

If you have to have a scope, the Marlin is the way too go, otherwise a pre-64 Winchester is IT. (in my opinion)

Virgil B.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

303 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 32 invisible), 2,147 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,745
Posts18,495,171
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.