-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RonT, I must admit that I've never been in a situation to where you could cut a lock washer off my butt so I can't say for sure just how I'd react. In today's climate I try not to go into places that appear to be goblin-infested. I go to Sam's once or twice a month, the grocery store once or twice a week. If I am pressed to go to Wal-Mart I go early, usually on a Sunday morning. Other than that I stay home quite a bit. Thankfully, my traveling days are behind me.

So, I can't say for sure how I'd react but if I do have to pull my .45 there's a good chance somebody is gonna get shot.

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by ingwe
I would rather have the ammo in a gun I was most familiar and most confident with.

This.

Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
Situational awareness is likely more important than caliber or capacity.

And This.

I'm supremely familiar with, and confident in, the Sig P226 in 9mm. I'm even more familiar with, and confident in, the Sig P245. And I wish like hell I could get familiar with, and confident in, pistols that didn't cost so damned much. frown

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Good thread for me. I didn't grow up hunting, or around guns, so I got a late start. Other than a few .22s, my Deer rifles, and shotguns I'm really not familiar with guns.

I bought a cheap AR-15, and recently purchased a sig 380. Looking at this, makes me think I should have went bigger, since it holds 7+1.

I was comfortable with the size, and a have a "nubby" trigger finger, so it felt really comfortable, and I figured that's what counted the most. I spend time at the indoor range, and try soaking up knowledge, but really look forward to learning more here.

It wasn't until 6 weeks ago, I even got my CCW.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The only time I feel uneasy is when I'm carrying the 380. Situational awareness is likely more important than caliber or capacity.

Check out RBCD ammo. .380 at 1,900 feet per second! I purchased .380, 9mm, .44mag and .45 for testing. It is unbelieveable.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I carry a Glock 19 most of the time. I like having the extra rounds, I would hate to loose a gun fight because I ran out of ammo. Always have an extra magazine close by.

Sometimes you could have multiple assailants.

Food for thought,

Be safe out there. Don't be a victim.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by Ringman

Check out RBCD ammo. .380 at 1,900 feet per second! I purchased .380, 9mm, .44mag and .45 for testing. It is unbelieveable.

I carry the Fiocchi/Hornady XTP load after seeing this YouTube test

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EDsPgyhI7To

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've always thought the best strategy when carrying is that if you actually have to defend yourself, you should only have to shoot someone once to end the fight. That is why I always carry a 45 ACP when I carry- that and the fact I shoot it really well and it hits exactly where my finger points. Not concerned with how much ammo it holds (7+1), but hitting my assailant and getting the hell out of there is of utmost importance to me.
I do carry extra mags, for protection of others around me who may inadvertantly get in the line of fire of the bad guys.

IMHO, the best deal going right now is the Springfield Armory Range Officer .45's. Hard to go wrong with any of them, including the least expensive in the line of 1911's. They are all top flight weapons, shoot exceedingly well, and handle great. At least with my big hands, your milage may vary a bit....

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 11/18/14.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I carry a Glock 36. It's 6+1 rounds of 45 and a spare 7 round clip. It's virtually the same size as a G19. I've thought about getting a G19 for capacity, but I'm not John McClane and can't see any reason to need more than 14 rounds of 45 ACP.

I've tried carrying a full size 45 and even a light weight officers model but the weight was always too much. I can carry the G36 and forget it's there. IMHO it's the perfect modern light weight officers 45.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 11/18/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by gitem_12
I would rather have the ammo in a gun I was most familiar and most confident with.

This is why he still carries a Patterson Colt. Got his new off the production line...

\

GFY

I still carry a S&W Model 66 four inch,and a spare speed loader.Remember those?

Once again, I reiterate...

GFY.

Yep. Great guns

Wow, a little sensitive, I'll bet it has pink grips......

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by MColeman
RonT, I must admit that I've never been in a situation to where you could cut a lock washer off my butt so I can't say for sure just how I'd react. In today's climate I try not to go into places that appear to be goblin-infested. I go to Sam's once or twice a month, the grocery store once or twice a week. If I am pressed to go to Wal-Mart I go early, usually on a Sunday morning. Other than that I stay home quite a bit. Thankfully, my traveling days are behind me.

So, I can't say for sure how I'd react but if I do have to pull my .45 there's a good chance somebody is gonna get shot.

Yes, my friend... smile

I feel much the same as you feel & do... mostly stay home and watch TV or "play" on the net, but I occasionally wander out to the grocery, Wal*Mart, Sam's Club or one of the local gun shops... that's because I'm an "old guy" and my home is very comfortable and secure... and has everything I want or need in it. I don't "go" a lot... not because I'm afraid to go out, but because I simply don't need to "go" a lot, but I "go" whenever I have a need to do so.

Certainly, these "times" tend to make one more "uneasy" and keeps me more alert when I'm "out & about" outside of the house than I've felt ever before in my 79 years, but my high-capacity 9x19 filled with 18 nasty ol' +P hollow-points in the after-market 18 round magazine plus one-in-the-chamber tends to make-me-feel a bit more "comfortable" and confident in my ability to handle 'most any kind of "emergency".

Then, too... I'm retired and have the time to do a fair amount of shooting at my club's pistol and rifle ranges... and am confident I could effectively "hit" whatever I needed to hit if it was necessary. But then, I don't "make-the-rules", I just follow 'em.

That said... I'd much rather NOT be forced to defend my wife or myself... but I will if I must. That's a "given"... and a "shame" that it's even necessary... but it is...! frown

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
I'm so confident in my pistol shooting, I only carry 1 magazine...

[Linked Image]

This....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I carried some sort of snubnose revolver for years just recently I got a Glock 19 & I ain't looking back.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I carry a Glock 36. It's 6+1 rounds of 45 and a spare 7 round clip. It's virtually the same size as a G19. I've thought about getting a G19 for capacity, but I'm not John McClane and can't see any reason to need more than 14 rounds of 45 ACP.

I've tried carrying a full size 45 and even a light weight officers model but the weight was always too much. I can carry the G36 and forget it's there. IMHO it's the perfect modern light weight officers 45.

this is exactly what I have been considering...what holster do you use for the 36?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sheister
I've always thought the best strategy when carrying is that if you actually have to defend yourself, you should only have to shoot someone once to end the fight. That is why I always carry a 45 ACP when I carry- that and the fact I shoot it really well and it hits exactly where my finger points. Not concerned with how much ammo it holds (7+1), but hitting my assailant and getting the hell out of there is of utmost importance to me.
I do carry extra mags, for protection of others around me who may inadvertantly get in the line of fire of the bad guys.

IMHO, the best deal going right now is the Springfield Armory Range Officer .45's. Hard to go wrong with any of them, including the least expensive in the line of 1911's. They are all top flight weapons, shoot exceedingly well, and handle great. At least with my big hands, your milage may vary a bit....
Bob

Wishful thinking only shooting a bad guy one time. Hint, keep shooting until the threat is no longer there.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 6mm250
I carried some sort of snubnose revolver for years just recently I got a Glock 19 & I ain't looking back.

Mike

Smart man.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Sheister

Bob

Bob,
I think you need to read your own sig line.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.

Have you ever heard of people doing drugs? Ever heard what chemicals can do to a persons physical abilities? For this reason alone, I prefer more ammo always over bigger ammo. I do occasionally carry a smaller firearm with 8 round capacity, but my preference is higher capacity.

If you truly shoot well, then that actually negates much of the advantage of shooting a larger caliber.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MColeman
You need 16 rounds if you plan on missing a lot. I carry a .45 with 7+1 myself. I'd bet money I can hit a man at 50 yards easily, much less at 7.

Glad to hear that you like it and are still carrying it. Here's to hoping that you never, ever HAVE TO use it.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
heck, I just rotate the CCW carry duty among a number of capable pistols and revolvers. I shoot them all, know them all, and have confidence with each and every one of them.
Lately, Smith & Wesson model 442 and the little XDS .45 auto have gotten most of the carry time. With cold weather finally here, for awhile at least, others come into rotation. Today, it will be the S&W 65, worn OTW, along with two speed loaders. smile

Last edited by Mannlicher; 11/19/14.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I find it hard to fault the 19, especially with the "NY" trigger springs installed to give it a 12 lb trigger (a side benefit being the trigger breaks crisper instead of that staple gun feel).

In the woods around here where running into not-shot-at-much feral hogs close up and personal is common while doing bird counts and such, a similarly-sized Glock 29 (10mm) is brung along instead, same trigger set up.

All that said, a plain 'ol Airweight J-frame in .38 is usually close at hand around the house.

But if it had to be just one, it would be a Glock 19.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

I carry a Glock 19 most of the time. I like having the extra rounds, I would hate to loose a gun fight because I ran out of ammo. Always have an extra magazine close by.

Sometimes you could have multiple assailants.

Food for thought,

Be safe out there. Don't be a victim.
That video was racist. It creates the impression that black folks seek to victimize white folks with violent attacks. While true, it's not permitted to create that impression among the general public, so you were wrong to post it. Shame.

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (007FJ, 25aught6, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 222Sako, 49 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,922
Posts18,518,836
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.