-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Call me the odd man out. I'd choose the one that's easist to carry.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Oh. And the guy in Fla who emptied the mag of an M-16 and reloaded with a mag that had been attached to the weapon.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been waiting on someone to advocate a back up gun. Carrying 16 rounds in a gun is overkill for many. But carrying two friggin guns is totally rational....

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I've been waiting on someone to advocate a back up gun. Carrying 16 rounds in a gun is overkill for many. But carrying two friggin guns is totally rational....
Mad Max disarming before seeing Tina Turner in Beyond Thunderdome, comes to mind.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In descending order of badassacity

Three inch N frame:
[Linked Image]

Three inch K frame:
[Linked Image]

Two inch K frame:
[Linked Image]

J frame snubby:
[Linked Image]

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Cool four guns with the total capacity of my Sig and 3/4 of a spare magazine

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
*shrug*

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
And there was the home invasion here in Colorado where Grandma emptied 3 revolvers hitting multiple assaliants on her way to her shotgun.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
There are times when my full-size XdM in a Crossbreed holster with 20 rds on tap and another 19 in a spare mag is comforting. Most of the time I'm carrying a 1911 with a spare mag or two.

That same Crossbreed will also hold my full size XdM in 45 with 14 rds on tap and then another 13 rds in a spare mag.

I'd rather have extra ammo I didn't need than not have enough.

Last edited by RyanTX; 11/19/14.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

A sample of one to support an argument?

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I'll be ordering the last couple of pieces for mine today. I'll let you know if I find the magic parts combination.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lubbockdave
been thinking hard on this-maybe to hard, but would you rather have 10 rounds of 45 ACP or 16 rounds of 9mm in a conceal carry weapon?

This is a long-debated issue, but usually asks you to pick between a 6-shot revolver and an automatic. But the factors that guide a person's decision are the generally the same.

1. Rule #1 for being in a gunfight is "Bring a gun." So, both guns fit meet that requirement.

2. Also true is: The best gun to have in a gunfight is the one you have with you. (Meaning, many people buy a gun for CC then get tired of carrying. Then they start carrying only in situations when they think they have an increased chance of needing their gun. Then they just stop carrying altogether, because it's too inconvenient). So if you're only willing to carry a micro .380, well...it's better than nothing. But...

3. Nobody in a gunfight wishes he had a smaller gun and fewer bullets.

4. Comparing the 2 choices offered here (10 rds of .45 ACP vs. 16 rds of 9mm), it makes you think: If you have a problem that can't be solved with 10 rounds, your problem can't be solved with a gun. (But...see #3, supra).

5. If you're getting mugged, 10 rounds is more than enough. If you hear gunfire down at the food court in the mall and you're going to go "help," 16 rounds might not be enough.

One of the first responses here said something like it's best to have the gun that you shoot the best. I can't argue with that. If you read about armed citizens needing their gun and how many shots they fired, I can't recall the last time I saw anybody who fired more than 10. Like others have mentioned, if you have spare ammo with you, the problem is solved anyway. That basically makes the debate center on whether a 9mm is "enough gun." (Here we go!) I think that, given modern bullets, it is. That said, I carry a .45 more than I carry a 9mm, but I do carry a 9mm without hesitation (usually a 6-shot auto with an extended 7 round spare mag).

Perhaps the better way to get out peoples' true opinions would be to ask this question: If you knew you were going to "need" your gun at some point in the next 6 months, what would you carry?

For me, as much as it shames me to say it, I'd likely stop carrying the sub-compact 9mm. But, I'd still have no qualms about carrying a 9mm. I'd likely carry either my .45 or my 9mm Glock.

And before this thing becomes a book, I'll answer the original question straight up, because I HATE it when I ask a specific question and people don't answer it! Which would I rather have, 10 rounds of 45 ACP or 16 rounds of 9mm in a CCW? Today (it might change tomorrow) I'll say 16 rounds of 9mm. Why? Because the size of a 9mm that will carry 16 rounds (G19 or a similar double stack) isn't significantly different than a .45 that will hold 10 rounds. I have faith that the 9mm, loaded with good self-defense ammo will adequately protect me and since I have equal faith in both .45 and 9mm, I might as well have more ammo. Thinking beyond the original question, if I carry a G17 mag as my spare, I have 17 more rounds on tap, should a reload be necessary.

(By the way, whatever I choose will ALWAYS have night sights, and I will always carry a light).

Good luck in your decision!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Do you think this lady was glad she only had 5 rds or wishes she had more? She even hit him in the face (she connected with all 5 rds I believe) and he didn't die.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/georgia-mom-shoots-home-intruder-face-article-1.1234400

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I carry 8 rounds of 22LR.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good point, Ryan. Likely compounding the problem there was using FMJ ammo. If she had been shooting better ammo, I think she stood a much better chance of not even getting to round #5. But, who can say...?

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by deflave
I carry 8 rounds of 22LR.

Travis

The problem is your gun is a 9 grin Oh, wait, or is it just with rifles that you like to mix and match? Ha, sorry, but couldn't resist.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RyanTX
Do you think this lady was glad she only had 5 rds or wishes she had more? She even hit him in the face (she connected with all 5 rds I believe) and he didn't die.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/georgia-mom-shoots-home-intruder-face-article-1.1234400

Having a gun guarantees nothing.

All contingencies cannot be planned for.

Pick your poison and just remember to never quit. Otherwise, stock up on Ramen noodles and lock yourself indoors for the rest of your life.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RyanTX

The problem is your gun is a 9 grin Oh, wait, or is it just with rifles that you like to mix and match? Ha, sorry, but couldn't resist.

You fugg one goat...

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
I would rather have the ammo in a gun I was most familiar and most confident with.

This

an likely to carry

Last edited by temmi; 11/19/14.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Call me the odd man out. I'd choose the one that's easist to carry.

Bob always refers to you as the "odd" one Pat. grin

almost hated to mention it, fearing it will crush your feelers. laugh

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

434 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,085 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,460
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.