Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Kevin, if we didn't justify our rounds, there would be nothign to talk about...
We we gun-geeks do tend to pick-nits, and split hairs about our equipment; that much is for sure.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by jorgeI
duh. It still makes sense, even to the most elemental among us, that if one is admittedly superior to the other with one type of ammunition (ball), then it makes logical sense the difference would remain constant with HP ammo and not just enhance one.

Your thinking is linear, where this problem is better addressed with Calculus. Velocity effect expansion characteristics. The higher velocity 9mm gains more from modern bullets then the slower .45. Throw in the second variable, magazine size, and old fashioned linear reasoning may not be up to the task.

Hey you're pretty good; that's right. (not being a smart arse, few actually pick up on that)

B U T - Even though the benefits of JHP are greater for the 9mm than the .45 ACP, the end diameter of .45 ACP still tends to be .65-.70 diameter, whereas your average 9mm JHP rarely makes it to .60 (my direct observations of doing actual ballistic testing with Knox & Kind ballistic gelatin, several pistols in multiple calibers and at least 6 different loads for each caliber). So even though the increase in size is greater with the 9mm, the end diameter is still larger with the .45 ACP.

Now to something relevant...Does it matter?
All evidence points to the fact that the end result of wound cavities and people shot on the street that the two rounds are essentially indistinguishable. With that larger frontal diameter, the .45 ACP tends to penetrate less, and the smaller/faster 9mm tends to penetrate more. Actual tissue destroyed tends to be close enough to the same that I've yet to see any convincing data to suggest what tiny difference actually matters on a live target.

It's just like those people who try to tell you a .30-06 is "so much better" than a .270...hogwash!!

If a guy only feels warm and fuzzy with a .45 ACP, who cares? Let him shoot the .45 ACP and be done with it.

If some guy says he'll only walk the streets with 15 or more rounds per magazine because he thinks he will take on the entire Sinaloa cartel, who cares (unless he misses with all 15 rounds), take your 9mm and be happy.

If we were to extend you rifle analogy, it's similar to the Ballistic tip vs Partitions debate. One tends to do more damage on the front end, where the other tends to penetrate deeper and is more likely to leave two holes. Both do the job well, just with a different emphasis. Of course now we introduced the additional variables of shot angle and cover, but once you get past about 3 variables it can start to make your head hurt.

So to keep things simple, lets assume two packages of equal size that are shot equally well, on with 10 rounds of .45 (per magazine), and the other with 16 rounds of 9mm per magazine. The 9mm has a 60% capacity advantage. Does anyone here believe the .45 has a 60%+ per round lethality advantage over the 9mm, because that's what it would take for the total raw lethality of each package to be equal. This is before you acknowledge any advantage the 9 carries in reduced time spent reloading, total carrying capacity, or the 6 rounds the 9mm has left while the .45 is reloading...

It doesn't take a whole cartel to create a very unpleasant situation. There were only two bad guys in the '86 Miami shoot out, and both of the FBI agents who dies were killed while reloading.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
So what does the statistical compilation of data say about those two calibers regarding efficacy?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting stats:

.357 (both magnum and Sig) # of people shot - 105 # of hits - 179 % of hits that were fatal - 34% Average number of rounds until incapacitation - 1.7 % of people who were not incapacitated - 9% One-shot-stop % - 44% Accuracy (head and torso hits) - 81% % actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit) - 61% - See more at: http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7866#sthash.MGTP4GYl.dpuf

9mm Luger # of people shot - 456 # of hits - 1121 % of hits that were fatal - 24% Average number of rounds until incapacitation - 2.45 % of people who were not incapacitated - 13% One-shot-stop % - 34% Accuracy (head and torso hits) - 74% % actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit) - 47% - See more at: http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7866#sthash.MGTP4GYl.dpuf

45 ACP # of people shot - 209 # of hits - 436 % of hits that were fatal - 29% Average number of rounds until incapacitation - 2.08 % of people who were not incapacitated - 14% One-shot-stop % - 39% Accuracy (head and torso hits) - 85% % actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit) - 51% - See more at: http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7866#sthash.MGTP4GYl.dpuf

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jorgeI; 11/20/14.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A few questions for those in the know.

Do they make a concealable ten shot 10 gauge slug handgun?

Will the 460 Roland bounce off bad guys?

Is a 90mm better than a 45ACP?

Would a Derringer in 505 Gibbs be an adequate stopping round?

First, carry what you have, then carry what shoot the best, then remember to carry every day all day. If a plastic 380 works for you then it is good. The rest is just fluff. grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Interesting stats:

.357 (both magnum and Sig) # of people shot - 105 # of hits - 179 % of hits that were fatal - 34% Average number of rounds until incapacitation - 1.7 % of people who were not incapacitated - 9% One-shot-stop % - 44% Accuracy (head and torso hits) - 81% % actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit) - 61% - See more at: http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7866#sthash.MGTP4GYl.dpuf

9mm Luger # of people shot - 456 # of hits - 1121 % of hits that were fatal - 24% Average number of rounds until incapacitation - 2.45 % of people who were not incapacitated - 13% One-shot-stop % - 34% Accuracy (head and torso hits) - 74% % actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit) - 47% - See more at: http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7866#sthash.MGTP4GYl.dpuf

45 ACP # of people shot - 209 # of hits - 436 % of hits that were fatal - 29% Average number of rounds until incapacitation - 2.08 % of people who were not incapacitated - 14% One-shot-stop % - 39% Accuracy (head and torso hits) - 85% % actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit) - 51% - See more at: http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7866#sthash.MGTP4GYl.dpuf

I've seen those stat's before, very good stuff. When you look at the "% of people who were not incapacitated", on a per person hit basis, all three platforms get the job done, with some variation in how they accomplished it. AIR, the footnotes make comment about the guys with revolvers being more likely to place on in the chest, and let the BG bleed out, where the shooters with 9's put more rounds on target, even if the first round was likely fatal.

Of course, the real winner in that study were the rifles....

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Scott F
A few questions for those in the know.

Do they make a concealable ten shot 10 gauge slug handgun?

Will the 460 Roland bounce off bad guys?

Is a 90mm better than a 45ACP?

Would a Derringer in 505 Gibbs be an adequate stopping round?

First, carry what you have, then carry what shoot the best, then remember to carry every day all day. If a plastic 380 works for you then it is good. The rest is just fluff. grin

First rule of a gunfight......have a gun....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So would a 90mm rifle bet the best concealed carry?

Last edited by Scott F; 11/20/14.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Do they make it with a 16 round mag, a sig brace, and 11" barrel?

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by MColeman
You need 16 rounds if you plan on missing a lot. I carry a .45 with 7+1 myself. I'd bet money I can hit a man at 50 yards easily, much less at 7.

I disagree, plenty examples of mob violence occurring in recent years. Not outside the realm to possibly find yourself in the middle of a large [bleep] out these days, and there's no such thing as too many bullets there.

Two things never asked for by a person after being in a gunfight, a smaller gun and less bullets..........

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Do they make it with a 16 round mag, a sig brace, and 11" barrel?

Where can I get two, one just doesn't seem enough. laugh

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by erickg
Originally Posted by MColeman
You need 16 rounds if you plan on missing a lot. I carry a .45 with 7+1 myself. I'd bet money I can hit a man at 50 yards easily, much less at 7.

I disagree, plenty examples of mob violence occurring in recent years. Not outside the realm to possibly find yourself in the middle of a large [bleep] out these days, and there's no such thing as too many bullets there.

Two things never asked for by a person after being in a gunfight, a smaller gun and less bullets..........

But a bunch of us don't live where mobs happen and if there were a mob it would be three people at the bmost. Mr Coleman live in such a place as do I. If I go into the big city I take more magazines.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Scott, there is something about the feel of a Kimber super carry inside the belt. If I lived where you do, it would be a real option.

But alas....I live amongst the mobs, so it's high capacity with extra mags for me....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Once flew with a fella that got his ass shot down one day and was ejected on impact. He awakened face down in the dirt with his right forearm under his chest, hand on the butt of his issue S&W .38 revolver. It was loaded with FMJ ball ammo.

He was getting poked in the backside by bayonets amidst hysterical Vietnamese laughter and made a choice based on the premise that he was not going to wind up as a POW. He rolled over onto his back and shot all three of them before they could react in meaningful fashion. He said all shots were center of mass in the torso, double action. Uncle Ho's heroes did not move after they hit the ground he said.

He and his gunner were extracted a few minutes later after a call to "higher" authorities on his EMRG radio.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Big thank to Lt. Powell, Doc Rocket, and Blue for some good common-sense (different common-sense than Obummer) advice despite all the 9mm vs. 45 caliber debate. Pat, I view you as one of the most balanced guys here and you story certainly resonated with me.

Oh, 2L2Q, you meant 5 push-up not 50, right?? smile

Last edited by Akbob5; 11/20/14.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Scott, there is something about the feel of a Kimber super carry inside the belt. If I lived where you do, it would be a real option.

But alas....I live amongst the mobs, so it's high capacity with extra mags for me....

Lets not let common sense get in the way of a good argument. grin

If I lived or frequented bad places I might well rethink my choices.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
There might be a better man stopper out there for concealed carry. What about a raging hornet re barrelled and bored out to 270 Ren. A 110 V-Max at 1800 + fps would be nothing to sneeze at when fired from ten feet away into the chest of a bad guy.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Ah, another timeless debate that shall rage forever.

I carry .380, 9 mm, .40 and .45. To be perfectly honest, it all depends on the weather and the clothing I have to wear, which can range from shorts and a T-shirt to a business suit. My first preference is a .45, but I most often carry a 9. That has more to do with how concealable that particular pistol is compared to others in the rotation. As the saying goes, dress around the gun...

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Partsman
I think I might carry one of my old ones.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Nice Webley. Is that a .38 S&W?

Looks like a 455 to me...

Yep, a 455, I do have a little 38 also.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You just opened a new can of worms. What is the best dress for concealed carry? Jeans, cowboy boots and snap shirt over a tuckable holster? Shorts, tank top, and tennis shoes, with a belly band holster? Or worst of all, sick sick sick a business suit with shirt and tie, wingtips and a shoulder holster eek crazy eek ?

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

415 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 1lesfox, 38 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,121
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.