Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Cleveland police kill 12-year-old boy wielding BB gun that looked like a semi-automatic pistol

A 12-year-old boy said to have been waving a fake semi-automatic pistol in an Ohio playground dies after he was shot by police. (Reuters)

On Saturday afternoon, 12-year-old Tamir Rice was sitting on swing outside a recreation center in Cleveland, wearing a camouflage hat and hiding a BB gun in his waistband.

The boy was playing with the gun on the playground at Cudell Recreation Center, pulling it from his pants and pointing it at people, a man told a 911 dispatcher. The toy�s orange safety tip had apparently been removed, and the caller said the boy was �scaring the s� out of everyone.� He also noted that the boy was �probably a juvenile� and that the gun was �probably fake,� but that message was reportedly never relayed to police.

When two Cleveland police officers arrived at the scene, a rookie officer saw the boy beneath a gazebo, picking up the gun and tucking it into his waistband. Police said the officer ordered him to raise his hands, but he raised his shirt instead � reaching for the gun. The officer fired twice. One shot hit the boy in the stomach.

Rice was rushed to MetroHealth Medical Center and early Sunday died from his injuries, according to the medical examiner.

No agency seems to be keeping track of how often this sort of thing happens, but a simple Google search shows that it�s a problem. How are police officers supposed to determine in a split second that a realistic-looking weapon isn�t real, or that the person wielding it is a kid?

�The officer had no clue he was a 12-year-old,� Cleveland Police Patrolmen�s Association president Jeff Follmer told WKYC-TV. �He had no clue it was a toy gun, he was kind of shocked. He was concentrating more on the hands than on the age. It�s not, Go shoot a 12-year-old with a good fake gun.� It�s not that scenario at all. This is a compassionate officer.�

He told the Plain Dealer: �We have to assume every gun is real. When we don�t, that�s the day we don�t go home.�

�You have to look at this in the context that this is a 12-year-old boy, not a 35-year-old man with a criminal history,� the family�s attorney Timothy Kucharski told the Plain Dealer. �You can�t expect adult reactions out of children.�

Gregory Henderson, a family friend, said Tamir was tall for his age. He liked basketball. He was artistic and smart. He was a well-mannered kid.

�That�s my superhero,� Henderson told WKYC-TV. �Who would�ve thought he would go so soon? He had his whole life ahead. To be 12 years old, he doesn�t know what he�s doing. Police they know what they�re doing.�

Tamir had been playing at the park with his sister and a friend when he was confronted by police. He never shouted or verbally threatened the officers. He never pointed the gun at them. But he did reach for it, police said.

Authorities said the BB gun resembled a semiautomatic handgun. An orange safety marker, intended to identify a toy gun, had been removed, police said. It wasn�t until after the weapon was recovered that investigators determined it was a BB gun.

�Tragedies happen when you rush ahead of the facts,� Kucharski told the newspaper.

The killing comes at a contentious time, as the country waits for a grand jury decision that will determine whether police officer Darren Wilson will face criminal charges for fatally shooting unarmed 18-year-old Michael Brown. In the weeks following the August shooting, people flooded the streets in Ferguson, Mo., calling the killing an issue of race.

However, Kucharski said race wasn�t the issue in Saturday�s shooting.

�This is not a black-and-white issue. This is a right-and-wrong issue. This is not a racial issue. This is about people doing their jobs the right way,� he told WOIO-TV.

The U.S. Justice Department has been investigating Cleveland police for several years for use of excessive force, according to the Associated Press.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-like-a-semi-automatic-pistol/?tid=hp_mm

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He told the Plain Dealer: �We have to assume every gun is real. When we don�t, that�s the day we don�t go home.�

well the 12 year old boy isn't going home, that's for sure.

another scenario where a 911 caller sets the tone for how the police are going to react to the scene - and no one was in danger from the person shot by police.

Last edited by KFWA; 11/24/14.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
How did any of us survive to adulthood?How do you get a child to adulthood.I have no answer for this one.With the world we live in where kids are killing kids.I saw the picture of the BB gun the 12 year old had.The damn thing looked real.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I saw this on the news this morning. Air soft pistol that looked like a 1911, that is if they showed the actual "gun". It looked real enough to me.
Play stupid games.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ltppowell

... This is not a racial issue. This is about people doing their jobs the right way,�

Perhaps not the best choice or worlds for the soundbyte.

damn shame.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Sitting here thinking about some of the stupid s#$t we did as kids.That was a very long time ago.We would scrape the heads off of kitchen matches and make our own firecrackers.Could have lost fingers doing that.Booby trapping my sisters door with a box full of books.Could have broke her neck with that one.The list is endless.EWY is right "play stupid games". All kids play stupid games of one kind or another.Just sucks.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I saw this on the net when it happened and then read some about it on my newsfeed yesterday when the child died. I immediately noted that the gun didn't have an orange cap on the end which about all, if not all toy guns now have. So then I looked closer and it's a BB gun. Well, that's not a toy per se. The media is acting like it's a four-year-old with some little Happy Trails gun. I doubt the officer would have fired if he'd known for sure it was a BB gun, but you can be killed with one. There's also the lack of identifier on the weapon and the fact that the thing looks pretty realistic. It's also a twelve-year-old and there are some pretty big boys at that age.

Wonder when they'll convene the Grand Jury on this one?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jdm953
Sitting here thinking about some of the stupid s#$t we did as kids.That was a very long time ago.We would scrape the heads off of kitchen matches and make our own firecrackers.Could have lost fingers doing that.Booby trapping my sisters door with a box full of books.Could have broke her neck with that one.The list is endless.EWY is right "play stupid games". All kids play stupid games of one kind or another.Just sucks.
It sucks when your kid is doing it. When you're the kid, it's cool. Face it, without some stupidity, life would be pretty dull.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I feel sorry for the kids parents and for the LEO.They have to live with this.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is there now going to be a push to ban BB/Airsoft guns? Terrible situation in many ways. Were cops a little fast on the trigger? Should kid have raised hands when ordered? Or was kid scared and just going to show them it was a toy gun? Is this going to be another Ferguson?

NRA Patron Member
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
report does not say, but I am guessing this was a negro child? Bet the officer was white........

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
report does not say, but I am guessing this was a negro child? Bet the officer was white........
Yes, the child was a Negro.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KFWA

well the 12 year old boy isn't going home, that's for sure.

another scenario where a 911 caller sets the tone for how the police are going to react to the scene - and no one was in danger from the person shot by police.

Read it again. The citizen caller got it right. The gov't worker dispatcher is to blame for not relaying the correct message.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yep, saw that

whoever omitted or disregarded the "juvenile" and "probably a fake"
needs to be in jail.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
12 years old is old enough to obey the police when they tell you to put your hands in the air, and not reach for the gun in your waistband.

It was what got him killed.

I'm sorry for his family and the cop that shot him. Dispatcher needs fired and worse.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
12 years old is old enough to obey the police when they tell you to put your hands in the air, and not reach for the gun in your waistband.

It was what got him killed.

I'm sorry for his family and the cop that shot him. Dispatcher needs fired and worse.
Why would the Dispatcher need to be fired? What would it have changed? The kid unless a really big kid, could be ID'ed as a kid. The BB gun is a weapon. Again, I'm pretty sure if the Officer had known it was a BB gun, he would not have shot him. The gun is still capable of killing or maiming somebody and the kid was already pointing it at people. There should be a distinction made between Airsoft Guns and toys and the BB gun. I've never heard of anybody being killed by an Airsoft gun, not to say that it's never happened and nobody has ever been killed by a toy gun that doesn't fire projectiles, firing projectiles. BB guns can and have killed people. The info was probably of value, but I'm not sure it would have changed the outcome. The gun was not a probable fake. It was real albeit just a BB gun. Where were the kid's parents and why did they not teach him to not point a gun at people?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

you're arguing for the justified shooting of a 12 year old *knowing* it was a bb gun?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

you're arguing for the justified shooting of a 12 year old *knowing* it was a bb gun?
Is that what you read? I believe I said twice that I doubted that the Officer would have shot him if he'd known it was a BB gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
. There should be a distinction made between Airsoft Guns and toys and the BB gun. I've never heard of anybody being killed by an Airsoft gun, not to say that it's never happened and nobody has ever been killed by a toy gun that doesn't fire projectiles, firing projectiles. BB guns can and have killed people. The info was probably of value, but I'm not sure it would have changed the outcome. The gun was not a probable fake. It was real albeit just a BB gun

you tell me what you're saying then

Last edited by KFWA; 11/24/14.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
. There should be a distinction made between Airsoft Guns and toys and the BB gun. I've never heard of anybody being killed by an Airsoft gun, not to say that it's never happened and nobody has ever been killed by a toy gun that doesn't fire projectiles, firing projectiles. BB guns can and have killed people. The info was probably of value, but I'm not sure it would have changed the outcome. The gun was not a probable fake. It was real albeit just a BB gun

you tell me what you're saying then
Why? Are my previous posts blocked or do you just not understand what I'm saying?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

417 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 2500HD, 43 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,757
Posts18,514,859
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.