Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by KFWA
its really come to the point where a cop is telling me a bb gun is a lethal weapon and a justifiable shooting because he isn't going to get an eye put out?

clearly I am out of step with America today.

I'll wait for the sling shot and dirt clod Brady Bill to come to pass.

I'm not a cop nor am I a lawyer. I'm just telling you that's how I understand the law.

You asked questions and I answered them even though I think what I was saying was clear from the jump. You never answered Pat's query as to whether you'd stand there and let the kid blind you just because you knew it was a BB gun and therefore, "not deadly" in your mind.

first off, I'm not going to approach the situation as those being my only 2 options. If I can't diffuse a kid holding a bb gun without shooting him or losing an eye, then maybe its time to re-evaluate how effective I am at my job.

There's the answer.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The media can't help but slant the reporting can they?

"boy with a toy gun"

Honestly, what cop shoots a boy with a toy gun, knowing that it's a boy with a toy gun? Ridiculous, inflammatory reporting.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
its really come to the point where a cop is telling me a bb gun is a lethal weapon and a justifiable shooting because he isn't going to get an eye put out?

clearly I am out of step with America today.

I'll wait for the sling shot and dirt clod Brady Bill to come to pass.

I'm not a cop nor am I a lawyer. I'm just telling you that's how I understand the law.

You asked questions and I answered them even though I think what I was saying was clear from the jump. You never answered Pat's query as to whether you'd stand there and let the kid blind you just because you knew it was a BB gun and therefore, "not deadly" in your mind.

first off, I'm not going to approach the situation as those being my only 2 options. If I can't diffuse a kid holding a bb gun without shooting him or losing an eye, then maybe its time to re-evaluate how effective I am at my job.

There's the answer.
lol That's about what I thought.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
my younger brother spent 4 hrs on the operating table after getting shot with a bb gun, if it had hit him in a vital spot it would of killed him.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Same thing happened to Sgt. Powell.

But he went on to have a successful career and played a significant role in the saving of the Nakatomi Tower.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One can only hope the cop was black and was using a muzzleloader...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This discussion about whether a BB gun is lethal is totally off track.

I have no doubt that the officer did not recognize it as a BB pistol.

I'm thinking about the videos you see with LEO standing in front of a screen showing all manners of threats and where they have to make a split second decision that will mean the difference between going home that day or not.

I can understand how a tragedy like this happens but I also understand that a LEO has to take extraordinary caution to stay alive in the hood. Seconds matter.

The dispatcher should have relayed that the caller thought it was a toy gun. That might have made a difference. The idiot kid should have complied with the officer's commands.

Was the officer too quick on the draw?

Nope. Not when the suspect doesn't follow the officer's commands and goes for his "weapon".

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This thread has deteriorated into an armchair dissection of a tragic event LONG afterwards and with alleged facts not known at the time.

The officer responded to a report of a person waving a gun. (Note: not a noise complaint, not a missing bicycle - a person making threatening moves with a gun.)

He arrives and finds a man who ignores the officer's commands and lifts his shirt, revealing a gun butt.

That is ALL he knows at that instant.

Everything else - the man's age, whether the gun is real or not, whether a BB gun is a gun or not, what the original caller said, what the dispatcher didn't say, or why the man has ignored the officer's commands - cannot be known at that instant. And that instant is all the time the officer may have.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I disagree with one point, fish head. The dispatcher was entirely correct in not saying the gun was "probably a toy." That was what the 911 caller said, but what if the 911 caller was wrong? Expecting a kid with a toy (and thus having your guard down a bit) but finding a gangbanger with a real gun instead could easily get an officer killed.

There are 12-yo gangbangers with real guns. They can and do set out to kill people - and cops. That MUST be in every officer's mind when he responds to a "man with a gun" dispatch.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Crap, and I only have my 1911 in my truck today for my ride home. I should have swapped it for my 21....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
You guys sure know how to derail a perfectly good troll trap.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"Troll Derailer." Hey, I like that!

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
12 year old kids should hit the deck with arms up when LEO hollers at them to do so. It would be interesting to know if the kid had decided to divest himself of the gun.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell

is that what offering an alternative opinion is now? trolling?

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Somebody put up a photo of the BB gun and lets argue about someone flashing that thing around in public, pointing it at people, and life expectancies in todays society! That gun looks real.

[Linked Image]

If somebody I didn't know who was old enough to pull a trigger pointed that at me, I would be in fear for my life. Cop did the right thing.

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Depends how dumb it is.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RWE

[Linked Image]

If that's a BB gun, what's with the hole in the end of the barrel being so large and what's with the magazine????

LOL
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by RWE

[Linked Image]

If that's a BB gun, what's with the hole in the end of the barrel being so large and what's with the magazine????

the fox 8 news had it labeled as the bb gun recovered from the scene.

I'm curious as well.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Depends how dumb it is.

anyone with a history on this board realizes there is no shortage of dumb on here - or misplaced righteousness

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
but then again:

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,437 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,100
Posts18,483,097
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.