Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
because the topic was brought up (and supported) that if a kid points a bb gun at you and you know its a bb gun, you can blow his head off to protect your eye.
No, you can die from a BB, something that has been pointed out to you, but that you continue to ignore. Also, I asked you if you'd have shot the kid to protect your own son's eye. You dodged the answer.

Emotion, it clouds facts and objective thinking every time.

ok, as absurd as your scenario is, if it were my son I'd probably shot the kid

but here is where you're scenario breaks down - this kid , as far as what I've read here shows, had not shot anyone, was not pointing it at the eye of another kid or even at the eye of a cop

to go even further, this is between a cop, sworn to protect the public, and a kid on a playground acting a fool - no one's child (other than the parents of the 12 year old ) is in danger.

I'm not sure how or why you think you are making a point about protecting the eye of your kid in this scenario.
~sigh~ I made the point way back that I personally didn't think this was about the cop shooting a kid he knew was armed with a BB gun, but you insisted on going in that direction. The point is that shooting somebody for pointing a BB gun at somebody is justifiable under the law in most areas. In this day and age, where the current Resident of the Whitehouse and his underlings throw the law to the wind and do what they want, who knows? [bleep] flows downhill. From the info we had and were posting on, it looks like a good shoot that just about anybody here, cop or no, would have engaged in. Bottom-lined for you.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Forgive me. I thought justifying and justified had the same root word.
Originally Posted by RufusG
If I was a cop, my focus on this would be figuring out how to prevent such an event from reoccurring, not justifying it six ways to Sunday.

Originally Posted by ltppowell
Why don't you tell us what's not justified about this deal.

If you could read you might have noticed I didn't say a thing about whether I thought it was justified or not. That wasn't my point.

Hope that knee jerking doesn't bust your jaw.

ETA: You sure proved my point.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
because the topic was brought up (and supported) that if a kid points a bb gun at you and you know its a bb gun, you can blow his head off to protect your eye.
No, you can die from a BB, something that has been pointed out to you, but that you continue to ignore. Also, I asked you if you'd have shot the kid to protect your own son's eye. You dodged the answer.

Emotion, it clouds facts and objective thinking every time.

ok, as absurd as your scenario is, if it were my son I'd probably shot the kid

but here is where you're scenario breaks down - this kid , as far as what I've read here shows, had not shot anyone, was not pointing it at the eye of another kid or even at the eye of a cop. There wasn't an adult there pleading with the kid to put the gun down (again, from what I've read here)

to go even further, this is between a cop, sworn to protect the public, and a kid on a playground acting a fool - no one's child (other than the parents of the 12 year old ) is in danger.

I'm not sure how or why you think you are making a point about protecting the eye of your kid in this scenario.

What I'd like to think is we live in a society where an adult would have told the kid to put that damn bb gun down or he'd whip his ass with a belt.

but instead we have to hear about getting your eye put out by lethal bb guns being wielded by 12 year old crack shots so its ok to unload your clip into them.

Once agin you are projecting that he knew it was a BB gun.

The statements in the article I read said that he was ordered to put his hands up, he failed to comply with that and instead reached his hand down towards the gun in his wasteband.

Facing that same situation what would you have done?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by justin10mm
This is yet another reason why I'm 100% for all cops wearing vest cameras.

Just like the recent story were a cop stopped a guy at a gas station and demanded he show him his drivers license, when the man turned to retrieve his wallet the cop shot him in the back. Without video that bad cop probably would have gotten off scott free.

The fact that it was a BB gun is irrelevant. If the cop confronted the kid and ordered him to drop his gun but the kid wasn't holding the gun at that moment it stands to reason that he would have had to reach for it to drop it. A video and audio record of the confrontation would prove whether or not the cop gave him time to comply or simply shot him out of fear.

Edited: Apparently there is video of the indecent but it has not been released yet.

Pretty much sums it up for me.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by justin10mm

Just like the recent story were a cop stopped a guy at a gas station and demanded he show him his drivers license, when the man turned to retrieve his wallet the cop shot him in the back. Without video that bad cop probably would have gotten off scott free.

The fact that it was a BB gun is irrelevant. If the cop confronted the kid and ordered him to drop his gun but the kid wasn't holding the gun at that moment it stands to reason that he would have had to reach for it to drop it. A video and audio record of the confrontation would prove whether or not the cop gave him time to comply or simply shot him out of fear.

Edited: Apparently there is video of the indecent but it has not been released yet.

Pretty much sums it up for me.

Anybody that asks a suspicious subject to pick up a gun he isn't holding, so he can drop it, is a moron.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"The statements in the article I read said that he was ordered to put his hands up, he failed to comply with that and instead reached his hand down towards the gun in his wasteband."

Another report says the cop told him to "drop his weapon"........ which is kinda impossible unless you pull it out of your waistband first.

I'd say there's a fair chance that each cop gave different commands to the kid.

That would seem to be an important point.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Anybody that asks a suspicious subject to pick up a gun he isn't holding, so he can drop it, is a moron."

With TWO cops on the scene, the odds on a moron being present are doubled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Which is why every cop should learn to say "Don't move". Easy peasy nice and easy.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That always got MY attention.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Would they be able to turn em off if they had to go poop?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Which is why every cop should learn to say "Don't move". Easy peasy nice and easy.

Hands up ... "Don't shoot" also works. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Forgive me. I thought justifying and justified had the same root word.
If I was a cop, my focus on this would be figuring out how to prevent such an event from reoccurring, not justifying it six ways to Sunday.

Why don't you tell us what's not justified about this deal.

If you could read you might have noticed I didn't say a thing about whether I thought it was justified or not. That wasn't my point.

Hope that knee jerking doesn't bust your jaw.

ETA: You sure proved my point.

They do, of course, but since I am not a cop, I was talking about other posters only being worried about whether It was a justified shoot or not. Nothing I posted had anything to do with whether I thought it was justified or not. That wasn't my point, as I keep saying, but you are not receiving on that channel, apparently.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Police: Video of officer shooting boy is 'clear'
November 24, 2014

CLEVELAND (AP) � A Cleveland officer was less than 10 feet away when he fatally shot a 12-year-old boy carrying a pellet gun near a playground, and video of the shooting is clear about what happened, police said Monday.

The boy was confronted Saturday by officers responding to a 911 call about a male who appeared to be pulling a gun in and out of his pants.

The 911 caller said the gun was "probably fake," then added, "I don't know if it's real or not." Deputy Chief Edward Tomba said Monday that he didn't know whether a dispatcher shared that information with responding officers.

The president of the Cleveland Police Patrolmen's Association has said the officers weren't told the caller thought the gun might be fake.

Police say Tamir Rice, who died Sunday, had an "airsoft" gun that appeared indistinguishable from a real firearm. Airsoft guns fire spherical plastic pellets and have orange tips to show they aren't real firearms, but police said the one the boy had didn't have the bright safety indicator.

Authorities said the boy was told to raise his hands and was shot when he pulled the pellet gun from his waistband, though he hadn't pointed it at police or made verbal threats.

"Our officers at times are required to make critical decisions in a split second," Chief Calvin Williams said. "Unfortunately this is one of those times."

Tomba said surveillance video of the shooting is "very clear" about what occurred, but he wouldn't discuss details of what it shows.

People representing the boy's family viewed the video Monday, but police didn't release it publicly because it is considered evidence and because they want to be sensitive to the family, the community and the officer, who is distraught, officials said.

The shooting has led to an investigation of the officer's use of force. It also contributed to a state lawmaker's plan to propose legislation requiring all BB guns, air rifles and airsoft guns sold in Ohio to be brightly colored or have prominent fluorescent strips.

Once the investigation is complete, the case will be presented to a grand jury to decide whether any criminal charges should be brought, Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy McGinty said.

The two officers involved in the shooting were put on administrative leave under standard procedure. Police haven't publicly identified them.

At least 100 people gathered near a recreation center at the playground Monday night to show support for the boy's family. Some demonstrators carried signs that read "Danger Police in Area" and "Police Terror: This Stops Today." They chanted, "Justice for Tamir!"

"We will not accept any excuse why this young man was shot down unjustly," said Art McKoy, a Cleveland community activist at the demonstration.

Candles and teddy bears were left Monday at a gazebo near the playground. At a home less than a block away, a man identifying himself as Tamir's uncle said the boy's family wasn't commenting and referred reporters to an attorney.

The Associated Press left a message for the attorney, Timothy Kucharski, on Monday. He said previously that Tamir went to the park with friends Saturday afternoon, but he didn't know the details of what led to the shooting and wanted to get more facts and talk to witnesses himself.

The Cleveland case is similar to one last year in northern California.

In that case, prosecutors didn't file criminal charges against a sheriff's deputy who shot and killed a 13-year-old boy carrying a pellet gun the officer mistook for an assault rifle. The Santa Rosa boy's parents were outraged by the decision.

In Cleveland, Mayor Frank Jackson said investigators and other officials are trying to be as transparent as possible to ensure the public can trust the outcome.

Asked at a news conference to comment about the shooting with the context of the then-pending grand jury decision about the police-involved shooting in Ferguson, Missouri, Jackson replied: "Whether there was Ferguson down there or not doesn't matter to me. What matters to me is that it happened in Cleveland, and it happened to a child."

Cleveland's website was hacked amid the investigation. The city couldn't confirm who shut down the site and didn't receive direct information about that, but officials were aware of a YouTube video purporting to be from the hacker collective Anonymous that references website shutdowns and the shooting, city spokesman Daniel Ball said. He said extra security measures are being added before the website is restored.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

That's some of the best advise ever given on this forum.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure Sharpton and Jackson are happy, another payday.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Read it again. The citizen caller got it right. The gov't worker dispatcher is to blame for not relaying the correct message.

So a police officer should just accept someones OPINION that a gun is "fake" when responding to a call?

That's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen here, and that's saying a LOT

Last edited by Snyper; 11/24/14.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know if I've ever seen a thread go full retard this fast. Which is saying something for this forum.

Bottom line is this: the parents are to blame for not teaching this kid two things. Dont take a realistic toy gun and point it at people. And when cops shout orders, listen. If you're innocent, nothing will happen.

The only "social" question in my mind is why the 911 call in the first place? If the caller believes it's a kid with a toy, why the call for police? In my opinion, that's the main difference between now and when most of us grew up. When I was young, I did lots of stupid stuff. But adults in the community would correct children without fear of reprisal from parents. And kids were taught to listen. To all adults.

Last edited by pira114; 11/24/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You probably missed the 1 of several Zimmerman threads?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pira114
I don't know if I've ever seen a thread go full retard this fast. Which is saying something for this forum.

Bottom line is this: the parents are to blame for not teaching this kid two things. Dont take a realistic toy gun and point it at people. And when cops shout orders, listen. If you're innocent, nothing will happen.

The only "social" question in my mind is why the 911 call in the first place? If the caller believes it's kid ith a toy, why the call for police? In my opinion, that's the main difference between now and when most of us grew up. When I was young, I did lots of stupid stuff. But adults in the community would correct children without fear of reprisal from parents. And kids were taught to listen. To all adults.

That is a good post BUT...parents? Who dat is?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pira114

The only "social" question in my mind is why the 911 call in the first place? If the caller believes it's kid ith a toy, why the call for police? In my opinion, that's the main difference between now and when most of us grew up. When I was young, I did lots of stupid stuff. But adults in the community would correct children without fear of reprisal from parents. And kids were taught to listen. To all adults.

That is a good post BUT...parents? Who dat is?

True. And probably the real root of many problems in our country. Lack of two parents with Mom staying home and raising the kids

Last edited by pira114; 11/24/14.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1OntarioJim, 1minute, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,126 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,054
Posts18,482,295
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.