Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I know EricM would love to have this one. Beretzs has one and I really like mine. It will surely be one of the last ones I let go. Here's your chance to buy a damned nice original looking rifle right here. I don't know the seller, but this one looks pretty legitimate. I wonder what his reserve price is?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=454242980

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
$2200 dollars you can keep it....

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
few mon.s back I should have bought a NIB for 3500. , This looks fair to me! WinPoor

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Aren't the checkering panels a little large for a late pre-64? If ok, that's a fine rifle.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
79S: My better 338 is in fact in better shape than the out of focus photos of the Alaskan on Gunbroker.
Mine IS very close to 100% condition.
I would not even consider selling mine for $2,200.00
Remember out of 581,400+ pre-64 Model 70's made only 01.64% of that production were made in caliber 338 Winchester Magnum!
Of those 9,550 338's I am estimating maybe 2% of that number are still in the condition "described" (but not verified by the out of focus photos - the floors are in focus but NOT the Rifle in question!) on Gunbroker, SO... maybe 200 Alaskans exist in the condition in question.
Yeah, I would say the folks that bid that Rifle up to $2,200.00 were on the right track.
And again I would not even consider selling my best Alaskan for only $2,200.00!
Long live the Riflemans Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Varmint guy, my Alaskan isn't in as good of condition as this one, and I wouldn't sell mine for $2,200.00. Even if 79s begged me.... grin cool

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You won't have to worry about me begging you. My stainless classic in 375 h&h will serve just fine if [bleep] gets real serious then I will grab cz 550 in a 416 rigby... But most times I carry my EW in a 325 wsm using cup and cor 200gr Speer bullets smile

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
79S: My better 338 is in fact in better shape than the out of focus photos of the Alaskan on Gunbroker.
Mine IS very close to 100% condition.
I would not even consider selling mine for $2,200.00
Remember out of 581,400+ pre-64 Model 70's made only 01.64% of that production were made in caliber 338 Winchester Magnum!
Of those 9,550 338's I am estimating maybe 2% of that number are still in the condition "described" (but not verified by the out of focus photos - the floors are in focus but NOT the Rifle in question!) on Gunbroker, SO... maybe 200 Alaskans exist in the condition in question.
Yeah, I would say the folks that bid that Rifle up to $2,200.00 were on the right track.
And again I would not even consider selling my best Alaskan for only $2,200.00!
Long live the Riflemans Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Again you can keep it guns like that never get used for hunting sit in a safe make an appearance when the dick measuring contests take place on here then go back in the safe.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh lord... cry

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
79S, I get the idea you measure dicks like cats measure tails, from the azz hole! very best on a very nice 338 win mag, someone will get a nice gun at a fair market price! The best WinPoor

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Prices of .338 Magnum M/70's have certainly appreciated over the years. I bought my .338 from Shuman's Gun Shop in 1979, I paid $699.00. It was in 95%+ condition and had a Canjar trigger, with 275 grain Speer bullets over a stiff load of IMR 4350 it would shoot 3 shot cloverleaf groups at 100 yards. It was hands down the most accurate M/70 I've ever owned.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Two Winchester traders that I have never had any bad feedback from in my mod 70 trading are Perry county and Shumans, I did biz with Shumans many years ago, I understand it has changed hands but Mr Randy still trades a few.
I ran across this one that Perry County is offering, maybe it will give guys a baseline or idea of the market. very best Winchester folks.
http://www.pcfirearms.com/winchesters/model70/P-5375.pdf
Winpoor

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
79S, I get the idea you measure dicks like cats measure tails, from the azz hole! very best on a very nice 338 win mag, someone will get a nice gun at a fair market price! The best WinPoor

Lol its ok tiger your supercool don't you forget that!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I for one would love to have a .338 win mag to go with my .264 win mag and 300 win mag. My late father in law was a Dr in S FL, his sister was on Wyoming Fish and Game, her husband was Atty Gen., These folks all came up the hard way being children of the depression, doc would spend 2 weeks a year hunting in WY. and I will never forget what he had to say to me about the model 70 .338 Win Mag. and I quote from a vivid memory.' Son there has never been a better big game gun made for WY hunting. With proper bullet placement it just wilts em in their tracks! I know my wife enjoyed the elk steaks but was not in love with bear meat in the least!She was not a big fan of speed goat but enjoyed the mule deer OK. Elk took no 1 spot in the tasty dept no doubt! A .338 win mag is on my bucket list as is a trip out west to put the gun to good use! very best WinPoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Someone might have to blow on his azz hole to get it to pop out further though... laugh

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Two Winchester traders that I have never had any bad feedback from in my mod 70 trading are Perry county and Shumans, I did biz with Shumans many years ago, I understand it has changed hands but Mr Randy still trades a few.
I ran across this one that Perry County is offering, maybe it will give guys a baseline or idea of the market. very best Winchester folks.
http://www.pcfirearms.com/winchesters/model70/P-5375.pdf
Winpoor

winpoor, that is a nice solid looking rifle there, but the pad appears to be a reproduction (Galazan). It has been installed by a professional, but indeed looks to be a re-pro. In the listing it says "red Winchester pad". Sometimes that's an indication that it is not original. That's a nice rifle that's been used and taken care of. Thanks for posting this link winpoor. There are a few out there that are cheaper and many more out there that are more money than this one. Here's a pretty darned nice one, but the webbed recoil pad looks fishy on this one as well:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/WINCHESTER-70-PRE-64-338.cfm?gun_id=100504530

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I for one would love to have a .338 win mag to go with my .264 win mag and 300 win mag. My late father in law was a Dr in S FL, his sister was on Wyoming Fish and Game, her husband was Atty Gen., These folks all came up the hard way being children of the depression, doc would spend 2 weeks a year hunting in WY. and I will never forget what he had to say to me about the model 70 .338 Win Mag. and I quote from a vivid memory.' Son there has never been a better big game gun made for WY hunting. With proper bullet placement it just wilts em in their tracks! I know my wife enjoyed the elk steaks but was not in love with bear meat in the least!She was not a big fan of speed goat but enjoyed the mule deer OK. Elk took no 1 spot in the tasty dept no doubt! A .338 win mag is on my bucket list as is a trip out west to put the gun to good use! very best WinPoor

A 338 was on my bucket list for the longest time as well. I was so glad to find the one I did and have no regrets. I can also attest to the fact that elk don't like them grin wink

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Someone might have to blow on his azz hole to get it to pop out further though... laugh

Didn't deflave tell you too stick too measuring groups and leave the jokes to the professionals... whistle
Sorry for upsetting you pre64 snobs

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I also like the classics and Ruger m77's... But I do know a damn good using rifle when I see it. I've also yet to have any of my pre 64's let me down. The XTR you got from me will probably be the same way I'm sure. That one sure is a nice rifle. Post some pics of your daughter using it after X-mas if you can....

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just picked a Burris c4 at sportsmanship for $149 bucks I might put that on thier for her as well. Don't get me wrong love the pre64 but I cannot bring myself to spend that kind of money on one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,384
Posts18,488,634
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.