Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I will add in school zones the deviation can be 15 Mph. And it some cases 20. But they are the exception and not the rule.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NH K9
I'm curious........as a rule do your local agencies have a probation period for new hires? Generally speaking, the "industry standard" in my AO is about a year.

Yes. One year probation is normal. Any employee can be terminated without cause during that period.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by sherp

I did???? Where? Please explain.

The intent of my post had to do with an example of an engineering ratio utilized to determine a legal precidence. Personally I don't care how fast anyone drives. Citizen or LEO.

By parroting something that really isn't true for one:

http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/speedmgt/ref_mats/fhwasa12004/

"While the MUTCD recommends setting the posted speed limits near the 85th percentile speed, and traffic engineers say that agencies are using the 85th percentile speed to set speed limits, in reality the speed limit is often set much lower. At these locations, the 85th percentile operating speeds exceed the posted speed limits; and, in many cases, the 50th percentile operating speed is either near or exceeds that posted speed limit as well.16 Many agencies deviate from their agency's written guidelines and instead post lower speed limits. According to an ITE Engineering Council Technical Committee survey, these reduced speed limits are often the result of political pressures.17 However, it is important to note that setting speed limits lower than 85th percentile speed does not encourage compliance with the posted speed limit. 6"

And police certainly do not obey those rules intended for others. One of the perks of enforcing laws is not being subject to them.

MUTCD (Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices) has nothing to do with each states
setting of speed limits. Each State adopts there own version of the federal MUTCD, but they also adopt their own Traffics Procedures Manual. Generally the states adopt statutes identifying the manual as the rule and guide for the implementation of speed zones and maximum prima facie speed limits. This is all done at the states legislative level.

In our states manual it states to exceed the prima facie speed limit does not necessarily constitute an infraction of the law.

But I really do not know why I'm even telling you this.

How is the ignored 85th percentile mentioned on the federal site I shared different than the 85th percentile you mentioned?

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cumm guzzler.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pira114
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by antlers
Did you get a bull$hit ticket or somethin' recently. I agree with the sentiments you've been posting on this subject; just curious...?

Ain't had a ticket in 20 years at least.

Over the last 55 years, I've been hassled, beat on, and lied about by cops in at least 5 states and one foreign country. Funny how they were nice and friendly [except for the little punkass Lake Worth City cop who threatened to "blow me away", from behind, and had his pistol trained on me] until their buddies arrived.

I've been exactly 11 of their jails. I'd say about half the personnel were "professional" in their demeanor, and about half acted as if they were auditioning for a part in the latest cop show on TV.

So, given my own experiences with cops, I don't join in the "Hero Chorus" defending them when they shoot homeowners in their homes because they went to the wrong address. Or shoot a former Marine in his home, using 71 bullets in the process, knowing his wife and child are in the house. Or gun down a mentally ill man who is carving a block of wood.

FWIW........ I have NO felony convictions. I have a CCL issued by the state of Texas.

I've never subscribed to the idea that I should kowtow to a cop just so he won't mistreat me. And, I suppose you could say, I've paid the price for it.

There's only one common thing about all your contacts with various agencies. You. I'm thinking, just off the top of my head, that maybe it's you. If you've had that much contact, been in that many jails, the problem most likely stems from you.

Just sayin

Well, instead of you puttin' all that strain on the top of your head by guessing, maybe you'll point out my contribution to the Lake Worth, Tx incident:

The cops had a portable stop sign they shifted around on more or less a bi-weekly basis at a 3 way intersection. They'd move the sign and post two cop cars to watch the intersection to grab the drivers who came thru it somewhat regularly.

I didn't notice that it had changed and there was no other traffic and I ran it.

I didn't go a block before seeing the cop's lights flashing so I pulled over to the side of the road and rolled my window down. The young cop [Blue's avatar reminds me of him] explained why he stopped me and I didn't argue.

I showed him my D.L. and he asked for proof of ins. It was in the glove box and I got out of the car and went to the passenger side, opened the door, and leaned in and opened the glove box. I'd explained what I was doing and he was cool with it, just standing behind me.

First thing in the glove box was a Ruger 357 holstered, so I removed it and placed it in plain sight on the dashboard above the open glove box. I was reaching back in the glove box for the Ins cert. when I heard:

"HANDS ON YOUR HEAD OR I'LL BLOW YOU AWAY!"

I complied and turned to see him in a Weaver stance, 'cept I don't think the proper stance requires you to be shakin' like a dog eliminating peach seeds. But he was.

He calls his buddies and a wrecker for my car. I thought this was kind of extreme treatment over a stop sign, but I still wasn't too concerned. I figured I'd get it straightened out at the office.

The Texas statutes regarding concealed carry prior to our issuance of CHL allowed it for travelers, and defined "traveling". One look at my D L proved I was far enough from home to meet the definition.

I saw his buddies laughing as he marched me into the jailhouse. I turned and saw him with his britches legs stuck in his cheap assed boots, my good hat tilted back on his head, and twirling my Ruger on his trigger finger.

It cost me a night in jail and 1500 bucks for a Lawyer, but the charge was thrown out and I got my six gun back.

Or, we could talk about the Banning, Ca. City cop who tried his best to dislocate my shoulders AFTER he had me handcuffed. I was whipping up on his buddy who was off duty and working as a bouncer at a club when he intervened.

Or, the cops in Oakley Ks who arrested two of us 16 YO Tx boys for a burglary and shooting, and then ran us out of town when the REAL crooks were caught the next day. They didn't hit me, but gave my friend a black eye.

So... you're wrong... these stories and more have TWO things in common. Me........ and some cowardly sons of bitches with badges.

You have a badge I'm "guessing off the top of my head".

If you do........ you've made my point.

Unfortunately, you made Sherp's also.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
You tell me? It was not ignored when I was performing speed studies. It was damn difficult to get state HQ division approval on a new zone of you deviated from the procedure.

But then again. I only had practical experience in the field. I wasn't getting my Intel off a federal website.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just like any other career choice, a person can be motivated toward a career in L.E. by a combination of factors. I've always believed that examining those factors is the key to weeding out those who are going to be problem cops as far as abuse of authority.

Corruption,laziness,lack of integrity, etc. are human failings and are likely found in L.E. personnel in about the same degree as all professions. But the ramifications of those moral failings don't pose the threat to society that the abuse of authority does.

When the screening process allows an abuser to become a cop, the cops he is working with on a daily basis are best positioned to see it.

What the individual cop does upon observing this tendency in a rookie is either the problem, or the solution, to Law Enforcement's abuse of their fellow citizens.

You are thinking they don't do this already?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
First thing in the glove box was a Ruger 357 holstered, so I removed it and placed it in plain sight on the dashboard above the open glove box.

You are a lucky man. I would have killed you. Nothing personal.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Communication can be a life saver.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Only at the Fire can an eleven time arrestee across five states and two countries be considered an expert in how police should behave.

Yep, police should behave however they see fit. Cop haters are just jealous because they work someplace where they don't have a single co-worker who would hold a gun to someone's head while they sexually assaulted them, much less 3 co-workers:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/...se-expected-today-gf5cb94-173312411.html

and they are jealous because their bosses would consider jail time an appropriate way of being held accountable for certain acts, but heads of police agencies know police do not deserve such treatment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZZ8KcCPMfU

Just envy, nothing more.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Only at the Fire can an eleven time arrestee across five states and two countries be considered an expert in how police should behave.

Well. The folks who's only interaction with cops is a traffic stop are more inclined to believe your B.S. about "a few bad apples".

See, I can't stop you from arresting me, but I can hire lawyers and get your bullschitt charges dismissed.

Of course, that didn't cost you a damn thing.

But I have the satisfaction of knowing that the six firearms you cops confiscated in 4 different arrests were ALL returned to me and YOUR charges dismissed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ltppowell
First thing in the glove box was a Ruger 357 holstered, so I removed it and placed it in plain sight on the dashboard above the open glove box.

Of course, any civilian within 21 feet is an obvious threat and little more than a justifiable homicide for every police officer in the country. Kind of surprised that LE hasn't attempted to expand that to 21 miles with the various claims that back pack nukes went missing when the Soviet Union went tits up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Well. The folks who's only interaction with cops is a traffic stop are more inclined to believe your B.S. about "a few bad apples".

See, I can't stop you from arresting me, but I can hire lawyers and get your bullschitt charges dismissed.

But I have the satisfaction of knowing that the six firearms you cops confiscated in 4 different arrests were ALL returned to me and YOUR charges dismissed.

And that is the similar to the worst thing with cell phone videos. Fortunately police still do not get punished for what is shown on those videos, but so many civilians avoid incarceration when that crap is shown versus the good old days when the officers claims would have sent them to prison for years.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Go away, nutsack.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

4 different arrests? How is it you are getting their attention?

"You cops". So much for a few bad apples.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

IT WAS STILL HOLSTERED WITH A THUMB STRAP ACROSS THE HAMMER AND HE COULDN'T SEE IT UNTIL ID LAID IT THERE LIKE A LOAF OF BREAD.

AND.. NO..YOU WOULDN'T HAVE SHOT ME, NOR WOULD ANY SANE PERSON.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I didn't know we had met. You should've said something, I would've let ya go.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

IT WAS STILL HOLSTERED WITH A THUMB STRAP ACROSS THE HAMMER AND HE COULDN'T SEE IT UNTIL ID LAID IT THERE LIKE A LOAF OF BREAD.

AND.. NO..YOU WOULDN'T HAVE SHOT ME, NOR WOULD ANY SANE PERSON.

Any cop that doesn't see what somebody takes out of their glove compartment is an idiot. If somebody picks up a pistol without telling me first...they're probably gonna die. Sorry. That's the way it is.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You tell me? It was not ignored when I was performing speed studies. It was damn difficult to get state HQ division approval on a new zone of you deviated from the procedure.

But then again. I only had practical experience in the field. I wasn't getting my Intel off a federal website.

1) You made a claim about a procedure in use.

2) I shared info from Federal observations the procedure you mentioned gets ignored.

3) You claim the procedure was not ignored:

It was not ignored when I was performing speed studies.

4) Then tell us it was successfully ignored:

It was damn difficult to get state HQ division approval on a new zone of you deviated from the procedure.

Did I miss anything?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The first time someone calls you a horse, you call them a jerk. The second time they call you a horse, you punch them in the face. The third time someone calls you a horse you should think about getting a saddle.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 1234, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,462
Posts18,529,152
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.