Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DINK
Originally Posted by antlers
Seat belt law (also our helment law) was made by congress. Made by the people that were elected by the people. I don't exactly agree with them but have to enforce them. When people complain about getting a ticket for them I tell to contact thier congressman.

You don't 'have' to enforce a chicken$h!t law like that. You 'choose' to do it.
And people question whether or not cops would confiscate private firearms if Congress passed a law requiring them to do so...?

Lol...only play you had.

Vote wisely....cause laws are made by the people that speak for the people.

Dink

Don't mind him DINK, we know police like yourself support firearms safety laws including confiscation to make us safer and your job easier.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Vote wisely....cause laws are made by the people that speak for the people.

And there's always gonna be some cops that are more than willing to enforce those laws no matter how chicken$h!t and unjust they are.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
Seat belt law (also our helment law) was made by congress. Made by the people that were elected by the people. I don't exactly agree with them but have to enforce them. When people complain about getting a ticket for them I tell to contact thier congressman.

You don't 'have' to enforce a chicken$h!t law like that. You 'choose' to do it.
And people question whether or not cops would confiscate private firearms if Congress passed a law requiring them to do so...?

Lol...only play you had.

It's not a "play". It's a fact.
You clearly stated your position above.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Harry M
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by Harry M

There is no special skill or requirements to be a LEO....which is why there have been an increasing amount of trouble between them and the public.

More words of wisdom from The Office.

I am a degreed chemist with a minor in business. If my company needs to hire a chemist they hire a degreed chemist and not one that wants to be a chemist.

Not a put down at all but then tell me what skills/education/requirements are involved in being a LEO?

A BS degree neither makes a good chemist or good law enforcement officer. Both are made by their upbringing. Education is a plus, but the background was molded by proper upbringing. Over abundance of educated idiots out their that are running short on common sense and proper upbringing. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
No, I'm not a cop and never have been.

Wow...who'd a guessed? Thanks for the advice.

Hey, chief, hold on for a minute. Nowhere have I said anything that would cause anybody with any sense at all to read "advice to cops." I simply stated things I would do if I were a cop. And my disclaimer is really me doing some high tech bragging as I have always held an honest productive job and never been so useless that I had or even wanted to be a burden to the taxpayers. So what is wrong with what I had to say? If what I said was intended as advice to cops, where do you find fault?

Really, you are going to have to do better on your attempt to make me look foolish as you did a very poor job of it and you have a lot of hangers-on here that are depending on you to be their fearless leader and really come up with something great. I see that Dinky stood up as one of your followers which is not a surprise but Blew, I thought, was pretty much his own man up until a few months ago. Should you ever make a sharp right turn without signalling first there are going to be a bunch of these guys suffering from broken noses. Be careful.

So now how about playing the part of a mature adult, if possible, and point out the wrong statements? Your admirers just might profit from you doing that.

Carry on.

Okay, I can play that game.

If I "wuz" a dickhead with an axe to grind, I wouldn't get on the internet and sound like a little kid, crying because nobody is giving me enough attention. That's not advice...just what I wouldn't do.

And that's really the best you can do?

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tarkio
No, I'm not a cop and never have been.

Wow...who'd a guessed? Thanks for the advice.

Guess that means you will never offer advice to a civilian then huh?

Cops ARE civilians.

The idea that they somehow are not is a huge problem.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Just checked back in on this thread and am pleased to see that it remains in the running for having some of the all-time dumbest [bleep] statements I've ever read on the 'Fire, and that's saying something. My faith in the bottom rung of the ladder here is fully restored.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No. We've tried that. Education never hurts anybody, but it does nothing but limit the applicants we have to choose from in LE. If anything, the age required to be a LE should be higher. Immaturity is biggest factor in most of our problems. There is nothing that can be learned in a classroom that determines whether a person will be good cop, or not. Nothing.

Actually, a degree is a hurdle. It makes an applicant prove that they have motivation and desire to enter a field that requires it.

My current profession is a lot like yours in that the degree I have (RN) is a hurdle, just like LE degree you need here in MN to be a cop. I learned 99% of what I do on the job after I got said degree, but getting the degree provided a process to week out those who didn't want to actually put forth any effort to join the ranks of the profession, as well as the lazy and stupid.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by goalie
Actually, a degree is a hurdle. It makes an applicant prove that they have motivation and desire to enter a field that requires it.

My current profession is a lot like yours in that the degree I have (RN) is a hurdle, just like LE degree you need here in MN to be a cop. I learned 99% of what I do on the job after I got said degree, but getting the degree provided a process to week out those who didn't want to actually put forth any effort to join the ranks of the profession, as well as the lazy and stupid.

I'm in IT, and degrees are normally required.

Even in an industry where folks who didn't finish college include Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Larry Ellison.

The REAL problem is most managers don't have any actual skills, and thus can't hire people based on their skillset. They have to rely on a piece of paper.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would also point out that, in my situation, I started being an RN with a two-year degree. I had my hospital pay for me to finish a 4-year. Now, all the metro hospitals are trying to only hire 4-year degree RN's. After about 20 years the difference in pay had I not finished my 4-year degree is less than a buck an hour. Not really worth it if you are making almost 50 bucks an hour with the 2-year degree....

Much like some LEO's in the thread have stated, the paper doesn't make the man (or woman). The two year school I went to had 98% of the class pass boards the first time. ONE idiot (class of 50)failed, and she never became an RN, and never should have. She was book smart, but completely lacked common sense. One of the expensive 4-year nursing programs in the cities got put on probation by the state board of nursing the year I graduated. They had a 60-something percent pass rate on boards. Those people paid 8x what I did per credit to not be taught what they needed to pass boards.

MN requires a two-year degree for law enforcement. I think that is a good thing, as it ensures that at least the person is around 20 and demonstrated a desire that they followed through with.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I first started I was paid so little that we qualified for government assistance. So I did what everybody did and took a second job. It took a job and a half to survive, two jobs to make any headway at living.

Not for or against a college degree requirement. But men aren't gonna get a degree for a job that pays poverty level wages. And not all communities can afford to pay a lot.

Which is why it needs to be up to local communities to figure out what'll work for them.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Just checked back in on this thread and am pleased to see that it remains in the running for having some of the all-time dumbest [bleep] statements I've ever read on the 'Fire, and that's saying something. My faith in the bottom rung of the ladder here is fully restored.

Glad you liked it. Rungs are where it starts.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Cops ARE civilians.

Police are a militarized occupation force, not civilians. That is why they are mentioned as exempt in statutes intended to control civilians and/or they do not enforce those laws against each other. Totally different group than civilians.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by sherp

Cops ARE civilians.

Police are a militarized occupation force, not civilians. That is why they are mentioned as exempt in statutes intended to control civilians and/or they do not enforce those laws against each other. Totally different group than civilians.

You looking forward to Christmas break little guy? What is Santa gonna bring you?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
When I first started I was paid so little that we qualified for government assistance. So I did what everybody did and took a second job. It took a job and a half to survive, two jobs to make any headway at living.

Not for or against a college degree requirement. But men aren't gonna get a degree for a job that pays poverty level wages. And not all communities can afford to pay a lot.

Which is why it needs to be up to local communities to figure out what'll work for them.

Yep, police aren't paid well at all:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...nce-victims-list-grows-article-1.2000120

http://www.okc.gov/okcpd/recruiting/index.html

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/40/4055000.html

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gitem_12

You looking forward to Christmas break little guy? What is Santa gonna bring you?

What's with the snarky comments? I am on your side. I post support for the same individuals and groups you do. So why do you act towards me in this manner?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gitem_12

What's with the snarky comments? I am on your side. I post support for the same individuals and groups you do. So why do you act towards me in this manner?

You don't support anything I support, you can't even cone up with an original thought. But I bet your momma's still proud enough of you to let you live in the basement rent free

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by heavywalker
The end game is not for the citizens to lose respect for the LEO's the end game is for the LEO's to lose all respect for the citizens.

If they can accomplish that anything will fly, gun confiscation included. Once we lose their respect the relationship is broken and the police will become a tool of the state to be used against the public.

This former Baltimore policeman paints a different picture in the respect department.

"When I was a police officer in Baltimore, I would drive around and put out one brush fire after another. It would have been easy to be overwhelmed by the lives broken by repeated bad choices, by the mentally ill, the children who grow up without hope, another murder victim, the literal stink of society's least wanted and the sheer magnitude of human idiocy.

As to police danger, it shouldn't be overstated (police officers are paranoid enough as is), but the danger isn't just in the small though real risk of being attacked and killed. What screws with your head is the constant occupational demand of hyper alertness -- of having to engage with and confront danger, and always on danger's terms.

When I cleared a drug corner, sometimes I couldn't help but wonder why the dealers didn't just jump me. Effective compliance is as much earned as ordered, but I don't think they obeyed me because they liked me (at least I hope not). Bluster aside, my job and safety depended on respect and deference to my authority"

---------------
now its certainly possible that once the thin blue line is torn apart that the police would serve in a different capacity but I can't imagine them being very effective in that environment.

Last edited by KFWA; 12/23/14.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[quote=Tarkio]
Cops ARE civilians.

ci�vil�ian

n.
a. A person who is not an active member of the military, the police, or a belligerent group in a conflict.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you really want to define yourself as not being a civilian?

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (300_savage, 1minute, 2five7, 2ndwind, 264mag, 17CalFan, 20 invisible), 1,999 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,858
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.