Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've seen a bunch of videos where civilian knuckleheads and regular citizens alike are taken down by officers and it seems like the police officers always yell "STOP RESISTING"!!!
Is it something that the police are taught to do when they start taking someone to the ground or is it because the officers know that they might be recorded on a picture phone?
Most of us will automatically rebel against anyone that starts assaulting or taking them to the ground. It's a natural thing to do. It's fight or flight and the Law knows just as Psychologist do,that we have it imbedded in our brains that a struggle WILL happen.
I guess I should have ask Pat or Blue the last time I hung out with them but I'm a little curious about it.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Why does everybody have to be taken to the ground? Do handcuffs only work after being thrown or tackled to the ground?

-Piss into the wind.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Honestly, yes.

You're taught to give directions to the person. We like to say more normal stuff like "stop fighting" or directions on what we actually want them to do. Like give me your hands, or whatever it is.

It all comes from case law. Juries in the past didn't like when they saw cops fighting people without saying anything. As in "maybe if they told him to stop resisting he would have."

So yes, we are taught to give directions. The whole Stop Resisting thing has become cliche, so we teach to give orders in more normal language.

As for taking people down, yes, if the fight is already starting it's better to take them to the ground.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It seems natural to keep moving when one or more people are beating you with a club, but that seems to be the excuse to continue the beating.
Add to that several people shouting conflicting orders and it's pretty hard to know what's expected.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For the record, I'm referring to legit arrests. Not BS beatings that happen from time to time.

Sure, it can get confusing and chaotic. But fights usually are. The better option would be for said bad guy to not fight at all. But a lot do.

Remember, I'm talking about legitimate fights with legitimate bad guys.

99.99% of all cops out there would much rather make all arrests they need to without a tussle. I know it's contrary to what the media and Internet would have you believe, but it's true.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Usually if the subject is resisting arrest he will probably try to run. Taking him to the ground reduces his chances of escape as well reducing his ability to fight the cop.

A lot of criminals know the game and if there is no chance of escape will give up pretty quickly. Though lately a lot more of them, especially young ones, want to fight. I do not want to fight. I try to reason/talk them into the arrest. But my technique does not make the evening news.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Usually if the subject is resisting arrest he will probably try to run. Taking him to the ground reduces his chances of escape as well reducing his ability to fight the cop.

A lot of criminals know the game and if there is no chance of escape will give up pretty quickly. Though lately a lot more of them, especially young ones, want to fight. I do not want to fight. I try to reason/talk them into the arrest. But my technique does not make the evening news.

Every day you don't make the evening news is a good day.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I guess that watching police beat someone's ass while yelling "STOP RESISTING" just seems like Bravo Sierra.
Why is it necessary? Is beating someone while yelling that make it alright?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why do we see so many video clips of people that are not armed or resisting in any way get smash-tackled to the ground? Even women. Can't the police just put the cuffs on the person nice and calmly?

Sometimes the person is even on his knees or in the process of laying down on their stomach and the police officer still smashes them into the pavement face-first.

If they are resisting, or armed, or on PCP or something, sure, do whatever is necessary, but otherwise I think many times the officers seem to be unnecessarily rough. I say, treat the non-resisters the same way you would like to be treated.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
I guess that watching police beat someone's ass while yelling "STOP RESISTING" just seems like Bravo Sierra.

Sorry. I thought we were having a serious conversation. Never mind

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pira114

Sorry. I thought we were having a serious conversation. Never mind

How should I react to that?
If you think that I'm bating the police then you are as big of an idiot as the last cop I saw on youtube beating on a fat guy while simultaneously screaming for him to stop resisting.
I guess you are part of the problem then. "Never mind" was the only play you had.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I posted an answer to your question. A serious no BS answer. Your response was nothing more than baiting for another "us vs them" thread.

Seriously, I was hoping to have maybe some intelligent conversation about it. But look at your response to what I posted. "Is beating someone while yelling that make it alright?"

Of course not. And you know that. Everyone knows that. But by posting that, you were looking for someone to try and defend it and make it look like all cops are bad.

So how are you supposed to react to that? Sad I guess. Sad that it was too easy to see through your BS.

Evil sucks. Whether it wears a uniform or not. I find it disheartening that so many "men" in America can't see that. Or refuse to. It should be an "us vs them" fight. But the "us" should be all good men regardless of a uniform or not. And the "them" should be all evil men, regardless of a uniform or not.

So I guess I take back the never mind part since I did respond. I'm open to a real conversation. Just won't be baited into any conversation where reality is ignored.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You must have mixed me up with someone else. I'm not a cop-basher. Kinda sucks that I even have to say that.

I'm curious... Have you ever uttered those words while taking someone to the ground?
"STOP RESISTING"!!!!!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Been covered already. They ( LEO's) are taught how to beat someones ass properly within guidelines. They are taught the correct way to pile drive someone to the ground. How to cuff them, stuff them, fill out the paperwork, etc. Just like every job that's complicated there is training, proceedures, lawyers, etc.

I smell what you're stepping in. There does seem to be a lot of over zealous actions by LEO's getting in the news, on youtube, etc. I will never justify poor actions, wrong is wrong, and the LEO that is out of line should be held accountable. There shouldn't be nearly so many "justified" shootings, beeting, etc. I too feel that LEO's are way to militant at times.

I'd HATE to have to do that job. I'm not very tolerant of some of the stuff that goes on. I'd want to taze and beat some ass often. I get the reason behind it. Doesn't make it right, but I get it. The thing is there are many good LEO's we never hear about, many actions that are handled without issue. It's a relatively thankless job.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
And of course we all know the media shows good cops on tv and in the papers too right. Its their job to post every dirty tid bit of bad policing, it helps their ratings.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I posted an answer to your question. A serious no BS answer. Your response was nothing more than baiting for another "us vs them" thread.

Seriously, I was hoping to have maybe some intelligent conversation about it. But look at your response to what I posted. "Is beating someone while yelling that make it alright?"

Of course not. And you know that. Everyone knows that. But by posting that, you were looking for someone to try and defend it and make it look like all cops are bad.

So how are you supposed to react to that? Sad I guess. Sad that it was too easy to see through your BS.

Evil sucks. Whether it wears a uniform or not. I find it disheartening that so many "men" in America can't see that. Or refuse to. It should be an "us vs them" fight. But the "us" should be all good men regardless of a uniform or not. And the "them" should be all evil men, regardless of a uniform or not.

So I guess I take back the never mind part since I did respond. I'm open to a real conversation. Just won't be baited into any conversation where reality is ignored.

That pretty much sums it up.

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
" fill out the paperwork, etc. "

No matter how cooperative a man is while being arrested, the arrest report is apt to read "aggressive and hostile".

It's designed to make you more amendable to accepting whatever plea deal the P A offers you and your lawyer wants you to take.

"The jury ain't gonna like hearing that you were aggressive and hostile....... you might be better off taking the deal...etc."

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BrotherBart

Yes, if the event is not captured on video and onlookers are kept back they can still be used to claim they heard the perp was resisting. Here is a good example, that only went south because it was unknown a car with camera rolled up:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/crime-courts/video-shows-officers-beating-motorist-diabetic-shock

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

So where have you made the news going against these "evil" police officers you have allegedly went up against?

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by seal_billy
And of course we all know the media shows good cops on tv and in the papers too right. Its their job to post every dirty tid bit of bad policing, it helps their ratings.

Thats kind of what I think.

Just like the military. How often do you hear about the troops doing good things for folks in the schittholes we are fighting in? Its always the negative stuff outweighs the good by at least 50 to 1.

Cops have a tough job. I havent had a bad experience with one. But then again, but I dont give them a reason to beat on me.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 10ring1, 163bc, 57 invisible), 2,197 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,560
Posts18,531,582
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.