Campfire Outfitter
I would apply Tink's 69 as needed.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Dawn Soap and Tide. It works every time.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
no one's mentioned it yet, but I've had good results with soaking in Coca-cola followed by Dawn dish soap.

I was part of a rescue attempt years ago on a helicopter-into-a-frozen-lake thing. Got completely soaked in Jet-A.

the above saved both the parka and the pants I was wearing at the time (the boots "melted" )

Thanks. Good to know. A Google search brought this up:

http://cleanmyspace.com/7-things-you-didnt-know-you-could-clean-with-cola/

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Have a cat pee on it.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hoppe's #9.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had this very problem.
Take a half-cup of baking soda and sprinkle it liberally inside the coat as well as outside. Put it in a plastic garbage bag and shake it up well. Seal. Let it stand for as long as you can. The pet odor will eventually leave the coat.

I pack all my outer-wear this way at the end of deer season, and also do it after each hunt. I'm completely invisible to the deer scent-wise.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shaman
I'm completely invisible to the deer scent-wise.

Oh, you're bad! Wish I'd bought stock in Orville Reddenbacher before you posted that one. smile

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As a matter of fact, I had a friend in college who grew up next to Orville's farm. Her father told Orville he was crazy for trying to sell gourmet popcorn-- it'd never work.

This is by no means an original idea. I read an article years ago from a bow-hunter fanatic that had this ridiculous scent reduction regimen using baking soda. This was a year or two before the whole scent-reduction craze hit the market. I started off doing what the guy said, and then immediately started testing modifications. 30-some years later, I published my own method:

Baking Soda -- The Shamanic Method

Now, I don't think it would remove diesel or jet fuel, but normal people stink and pet stink seems to be easy-peasy.

The results from this year were pretty much the same as other recent years: when I stuck to the regimen, I had great results. When I strayed, the deer winded me consistently.

One thing I noticed is that deer act really funny when they can't smell you. One year, I walked through a herd gathered around the base of my stand eating acorns. It was dark. I had a flashlight on. They just kind of eased out of the way and kept their heads down munching acorns. It isn't just the stink, but the level of the stink that's important to the deer. If you cut the level of the scent to where it is a fraction of what the deer would expect, you're accepted as part of the background.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My wife adds ammonia to the laundry to get our teenage son's sweat and B.O. smells out of clothes...

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
no one's mentioned it yet, but I've had good results with soaking in Coca-cola followed by Dawn dish soap.

I was part of a rescue attempt years ago on a helicopter-into-a-frozen-lake thing. Got completely soaked in Jet-A.

the above saved both the parka and the pants I was wearing at the time (the boots "melted" )

A can of cola in the wash water is the trick. It worked for my son's fish processing clothes last summer.

Other possible wash solutions are baking soda as mentioned, washing with 20 mule team borax, storing in an air-tight bag with charcoal briquets in it.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How about one of those pet stain removers? I'm thinking of the additive they sell for carpet cleaners with "enzymatic action." Add to the washing machine with detergent and set a soak cycle. Works on carpets, don't know what it would do to a parka though. The additives I've used have no perfume.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Put it on and poke a skunk with a stick. You'll never smell dog again.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
I self guide hunted Black Bears on Prince of Wales Island and got a nice 6'4" bear. After skinning and fleshing the hide in the rain, my camo rain gear smelled of fishing bear bad.
When I got home I tried the washer and no luck, my wife rewashed it with a cup of ammonia and the smell was gone. Most know but I will mention never wash with ammonia and bleach together, the off gas is deadly.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Did it affect the color or camo?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Mirazyme Aquamira solution used to kill mildew in tents. Put it in the tub or washing machine. It will kill the smell dead.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Like Ingwe said there is an enzyme based product that digests urine, other pet odors you can buy it at Pet stores. Soak it in that, no odor to the product that I have.

If that does not work soak it good in Kerosene and stick a match to it, that will remove the odor permanently..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That enzyme stuff is available at ACE Hardware too, they sell it to get pet odors out of carpet, I bought lots of it when I managed Apartments in College.

Lots of good ideas here, try two or three, then put it in a bad with cedar chips.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He's had time to try every potion mentioned above. Twice......
It must be gone, or outside. Elsewise, momma kicked him out for bringing the stinkin' sumbish home in the first place.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by huntsman22
He's had time to try every potion mentioned above. Twice......
It must be gone, or outside. Elsewise, momma kicked him out for bringing the stinkin' sumbish home in the first place.

Yeah, I've been a poor reporter, although I do appreciate all the suggestions. I've actually printed out this thread to keep with my hunting notes.

I got so busy with Advent and Christmas that I hung the stuff out in the garage and forgot about it. I did hang it out in the sun for a couple of days, and while that knocked down the odor considerably it didn't entirely eliminate it. I expect it'll come back when the stuff gets wet.

That said, I'm going to head to Petsmart this weekend and buy some of that enzyme stuff Ingwe mentioned. If that doesn't work, I'll try the Coke. Either way, I'll store in a bag with baking soda. If it's not odor free by Easter, then I'll try the kerosene/match solution.

Thanks, guys, and sorry about being lax.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Here the final report.

I picked up a bottle of the stuff Ingwe recommended: Kids 'n Pets Stain and Odor Remover. It was $5 at Walmart. I followed the instructions on the bottle, which was no more than saturating the parka, hood, and liners with the stuff, then hanging it all out in the sun to dry. The first time I used about half the spray bottle. Once it was sun dried, it still had a faint odor to it, so I repeated the entire process using just about what was left. That did it: zero odor. I'm going to be curious to see if any of it returns when the parka gets wet, but so far so good.

Thanks for all the tips. This thread is a keeper.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

243 members (264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 29aholic, 26 invisible), 2,232 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,875
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.